Author Topic: Thinkpads  (Read 25921 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Thinkpads
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 08 December 2016, 07:32:24 »
sigh.... you guyz are wasting ur time..  all that  --old stuff-- is c2d... slow as molasses...

your priorities so in sync 100% of the time

I agree sth..  My understanding and comprehension of the modern hardware landscape is unparalleled..

hahahahha...

/this kid is still mad at me from losing arguments to Tp4 on the internet..

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #101 on: Thu, 08 December 2016, 07:47:11 »
My understanding and comprehension of the modern hardware landscape is unparalleled..

u_____u
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #102 on: Thu, 08 December 2016, 07:49:22 »
My understanding and comprehension of the modern hardware landscape is unparalleled..

u_____u

I'm glad you've seen reason ...  feel free bask in the light of Tp4..

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #103 on: Thu, 08 December 2016, 17:59:22 »
While some Core2 models aren't exactly garbage (most are), I wouldn't buy anything with DDR2 memory.

Spending an extra $30 for the next generation Lenovo to get DDR3 can save you money by the time you add extra ram. As a bonus you get Sata3, which is a big deal if you use an SSD.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #104 on: Thu, 08 December 2016, 18:05:24 »
While some Core2 models aren't exactly garbage (most are), I wouldn't buy anything with DDR2 memory.

Spending an extra $30 for the next generation Lenovo to get DDR3 can save you money by the time you add extra ram. As a bonus you get Sata3, which is a big deal if you use an SSD.

Agree on ddr3..

sata... mmm.. one could live with sata 2 in a laptop..  where's the data gonna go.. fastest thing out of a laptop is usb 3.0 @ 120MB/s ?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #105 on: Thu, 08 December 2016, 18:50:53 »

Agree on ddr3..

sata... mmm.. one could live with sata 2 in a laptop..  where's the data gonna go.. fastest thing out of a laptop is usb 3.0 @ 120MB/s ?
You can live with it, but I saw pretty nice performance gains switching from a drive capable of Sata2, to a drive that supported Sata3 in a system that supported sata3.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #106 on: Thu, 08 December 2016, 19:12:56 »
The advantages of owning a Thinkpad seems to be durability and the ability to upgrade it. But I was thinking, I have a pretty durable Macbook pro from 2011 that'd be a shame to dump, so I was considering upping the RAM and change HDD to SSD. Is it even worth it? Should I get a thinkpad?

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #107 on: Thu, 08 December 2016, 19:21:19 »
The advantages of owning a Thinkpad seems to be durability and the ability to upgrade it. But I was thinking, I have a pretty durable Macbook pro from 2011 that'd be a shame to dump, so I was considering upping the RAM and change HDD to SSD. Is it even worth it? Should I get a thinkpad?

I will be upgrading my mother's 2011 Macbook Pro with new RAM and an SSD this weekend.  We'll see how it goes.

My ex-girlfriend did a similar upgrade to her 2010 Macbook Pro and she says that it works great. 

All in all, this type of upgrade should not cost more than $200 and probably will extend the life of your Macbook for at least a couple more years.  If you are concerned with Thinkpad features and the latest components, then a Thinkpad is worth it to you.  If you are concerned with raw performance, I think the Macbook Pro upgrade is worth it.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #108 on: Thu, 08 December 2016, 19:38:18 »

I will be upgrading my mother's 2011 Macbook Pro with new RAM and an SSD this weekend.  We'll see how it goes.

My ex-girlfriend did a similar upgrade to her 2010 Macbook Pro and she says that it works great. 

All in all, this type of upgrade should not cost more than $200 and probably will extend the life of your Macbook for at least a couple more years.  If you are concerned with Thinkpad features and the latest components, then a Thinkpad is worth it to you.  If you are concerned with raw performance, I think the Macbook Pro upgrade is worth it.

The macbook is worth upgrading, if that's what you take to the library to impress the females..

Because even a 2011 macbook makes you look wealthier than a 2016 lenovo pleb..

BUHhhhh in terms of performance,  NOTHING pre-sandybridge is worth upgrading....

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #109 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 08:51:32 »

I'd get a Thinkpad just for the hype, but first I need to find one  ;D I want to kill myself when my Mac takes one minute to start up and one minute to open Firefox... And another one minute to open word...

What are these "Thinkpad features and the latest components" you speak of? I know only about the trackpoint and the nice keyboard. Seems like getting a X220 would be a good choice for me, since I like that style of keys... Preferably in ISO too haha.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #110 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 08:56:34 »
No .. that's ridiculous.. do not get an x220.. ur insane..  a fully punched out x220 costs ~$400-500 with all the upgrades..

That much money can buy you a modern laptop with quadcore i7

Offline menuhin

« Reply #111 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 09:00:59 »
More

I'd get a Thinkpad just for the hype, but first I need to find one  ;D I want to kill myself when my Mac takes one minute to start up and one minute to open Firefox... And another one minute to open word...

What are these "Thinkpad features and the latest components" you speak of? I know only about the trackpoint and the nice keyboard. Seems like getting a X220 would be a good choice for me, since I like that style of keys... Preferably in ISO too haha.

Think about the FHD mod if you have time and patence to DIY, or if you have $$$ (a FHD modded is about double the price of a nice used model of the same spec).
http://hackaday.com/2016/08/26/making-a-thinkpad-great-again/
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #112 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 09:07:29 »
More

Think about the FHD mod if you have time and patence to DIY, or if you have $$$ (a FHD modded is about double the price of a nice used model of the same spec).

omg.. u guys are insane.. hahahahahahaha

U can get an x230 with 1080p  without all that hassle, AND cheaper..

Yes the x220 is legendary among enthusiasts,  but it's still NOT a very good laptop for modern use.

Ur going to buy one.. and boom oh ****, it doesn't have the latest iteration of the LG ips panel...

So you go to amazon.. buy newest LG panel for $60..

OH NO,  i need 1866mhz ram...   go to amazon $100 for 1866mhz laptop ram..

OH NO.. I need SSD to the max..  go to amazon.. $150 for SSD

OH NO... I needz super duper wifi card.. go to amazon.. $40 for wifi card..

OH NO.. .it won't boot with default bios...   spend 10 hours finding the right bios....

OH NO... it' s still slow because the processor is maxed at 2.6ghz.. 

.. Proceeds to buy a new laptop $700..

Total cost of x220... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$...

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #113 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 09:19:01 »
I thought the x230 was only available in 1376x768? Can I buy a replacement screen for it at a higher resolution?
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #114 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 09:21:18 »
I thought the x230 was only available in 1376x768? Can I buy a replacement screen for it at a higher resolution?

u are right.. i was thinking of x240..

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #115 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 09:24:44 »
Thinking about either a x1 carbon or x260, was considering t460s but the reviews say it has **** battery life. The 1440p screen on the carbon is a very attractive option as well, especially coming from the 1366x768 screen on my x230. one problem, theyre too expensive. optioned like I want them to be, its 1200$+ -_-

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #116 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 09:33:49 »
Thinking about either a x1 carbon or x260, was considering t460s but the reviews say it has **** battery life. The 1440p screen on the carbon is a very attractive option as well, especially coming from the 1366x768 screen on my x230. one problem, theyre too expensive. optioned like I want them to be, its 1200$+ -_-

get the carbon.. the x260 is single channel again..

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #117 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 10:39:38 »
More

omg.. u guys are insane.. hahahahahahaha

U can get an x230 with 1080p  without all that hassle, AND cheaper..

Yes the x220 is legendary among enthusiasts,  but it's still NOT a very good laptop for modern use.

Ur going to buy one.. and boom oh ****, it doesn't have the latest iteration of the LG ips panel...

So you go to amazon.. buy newest LG panel for $60..

OH NO,  i need 1866mhz ram...   go to amazon $100 for 1866mhz laptop ram..

OH NO.. I need SSD to the max..  go to amazon.. $150 for SSD

OH NO... I needz super duper wifi card.. go to amazon.. $40 for wifi card..

OH NO.. .it won't boot with default bios...   spend 10 hours finding the right bios....

OH NO... it' s still slow because the processor is maxed at 2.6ghz.. 

.. Proceeds to buy a new laptop $700..

Total cost of x220... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$...

Are you trying to scare me off Thinkpads? Because i am now wary. Maybe I should just stay with my Macbook since Thinkpads are ****tier in general.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #118 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 10:42:31 »

Are you trying to scare me off Thinkpads? Because i am now wary. Maybe I should just stay with my Macbook since Thinkpads are ****tier in general.

Macbook has a VERY SPECIFIC purpose....  When you're a student, you go somewhere with ur laptop.. all the pretty girls will look at your laptop and JUDGE YOU..

That's how the Modern world works ..

So as a young-guy, going out into the wild..    You NEED a Macbook..

Lenovo gives you way way way more machine per dollar, but it is for hardcore neckbeards bordering the #Ronery4ever camp...   

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #119 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 10:47:36 »
Macbook has a VERY SPECIFIC purpose....  When you're a student, you go somewhere with ur laptop.. all the pretty girls will look at you and JUDGE YOU..

That's how the Modern world works now..

Lenovo is for hardcore neckbeards bordering the #Ronery4ever camp...

I don't give a **** what other's think if I have something I'm happy with... Giving it more thought maybe a Thinkpad's not such a good idea since I use music composing software sometimes. Ah, RIP my dreams of a new toy...

no comment on your last statement ha

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #120 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 10:55:24 »
Macbook has a VERY SPECIFIC purpose....  When you're a student, you go somewhere with ur laptop.. all the pretty girls will look at you and JUDGE YOU..

That's how the Modern world works now..

Lenovo is for hardcore neckbeards bordering the #Ronery4ever camp...

I don't give a **** what other's think if I have something I'm happy with... Giving it more thought maybe a Thinkpad's not such a good idea since I use music composing software sometimes. Ah, RIP my dreams of a new toy...

I'm sure you can run your music software on a Thinkpad, newer X or T models are pretty good and they are quite easy to service.
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #121 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 12:08:23 »

Hahahaha  Yea.. I understand that is the attitude you think is __ Cool __ and it solidifies your ego..

But soon enough, you grow older and realize that the opinion of others is 50% or more of your Reality.

Then it would be too late to start dressing stylish, because you missed out on the college girls experience, and in the real world.. it's all work, and no girls..

Even if you do find a girl after college,,   the relationship price is also now way way higher..

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #122 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 12:18:28 »
Your computer is the last thing a girl does care about you.

« Last Edit: Fri, 09 December 2016, 12:22:32 by ideus »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #123 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 12:22:25 »

hahahaha...

we're gonna go through this again?

when was the last time ideus was 19 and at a college library.

Lest we forget also, my sandwich store thread..

Offline menuhin

« Reply #124 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 12:26:38 »
+1

(except for the super geeky girls who study computer science and computer engineering themselves; but they tend to have lots of stickers on their laptops and give the laptops pet names etc.)

College experience is not just girls by the way. I joined a fraternity and a few clubs, people I met were mostly outdoor people in those years: climbing, trekking, playing music in a gypsy manner, I swore I never wanted to touch computers again.

Oh, were we talking about ThinkPad by the way?
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #125 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 12:36:19 »
+1

(except for the super geeky girls who study computer science and computer engineering themselves; but they tend to have lots of stickers on their laptops and give the laptops pet names etc.)

College experience is not just girls by the way. I joined a fraternity and a few clubs, people I met were mostly outdoor people in those years: climbing, trekking, playing music in a gypsy manner, I swore I never wanted to touch computers again.

Oh, were we talking about ThinkPad by the way?

That's bull****..

Think about it this way..  You can do all those outdoor things any time..

But ONLY in college are the females pretty open with relationship/cohabitation without significant conditions..

The proximity alone makes relationship cheaply maintainable..

As soon as you leave school... especially in the computer occupation..  ALL NECKBEARDS...  even the women around here haz neckbeards...

SO... yea.. College IS ALL ABOUT the girls...    Education yes,  but MOSTLY you're paying for proximity to females.

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #126 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 15:48:41 »

I'm sure you can run your music software on a Thinkpad, newer X or T models are pretty good and they are quite easy to service.

What do you recommend :P

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #127 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 16:27:31 »

Depends on your budget, but I do not under any circumstances, recommend getting a new laptop from Lenovo directly, they tend to be pretty overpriced that way, but you can find T450 or T450s models for like Ł300-400 on Ebay at new or like new condition.

If you've got cash to spare, the X250/260 or the X1 Carbon is really nice (but the X1 is limited in some ways)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #128 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 16:46:57 »
TP's numbers are TP4 numbers... Crazy, like he is.  :))

My X220 was extremely fast, and I had a bit over $300 invested, and that included 2 brand new OEM batteries and a dock.

I paid $170 for an I5 model (higher end I5) with dock, bluetooth, OEM charger, OEM battery, and IPS screen. The owner didn't realize it had an IPS screen (check part numbers).
The speeds of it compared to the I7 were almost no different, however it did lack USB 3, which could be added with a card for very little. I added an efficient 256Gb ssd ($60 already on hand), 16Gb ram ($60) and an OEM battery for $20. Then I learned the original battery had a recall, so Lenovo sent me another for free. I added a 450meg Wireless card for $6 (already on hand). I had no trouble finding bios to whitelist the card (all of 10 minutes).
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #129 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 17:00:34 »

Depends on your budget, but I do not under any circumstances, recommend getting a new laptop from Lenovo directly, they tend to be pretty overpriced that way, but you can find T450 or T450s models for like Ł300-400 on Ebay at new or like new condition.

If you've got cash to spare, the X250/260 or the X1 Carbon is really nice (but the X1 is limited in some ways)
Agreed, never buy Lenovo high end models new as they are overpriced for consumers, used though, they are one of the best bargains you can get.

As for recommendations, it depends on the size you want and what you can spend. I would stay clear of the X240 and T440 as they are locked down in the bios, while everything before and after can be bios modded, at least to whitelist the wifi card. If you want something smaller and more lightweight, you could also consider a Macbook Air. 4Gb models are rather cheap ($300) and plentiful if you want to stick with Mac, however, the screen resolution isn't great but on an 11in screen, a higher density is kind of tricky to get right.  Be sure to read below if you consider this.

Regarding the older Mac
Older Macbooks do just fine with mild upgrades, I worked on a (2010?) C2d Imac with 2gb of ram and a normal hdd,  it actually ran decent. I'm not saying it was fast, but it ran better than a lot of newer Windows systems with double and sometimes even quadruple the ram. Even this year, Mac owners were encouraging people to buy Macbook Airs with only 4gigs of ram. Personally, I wouldn't but that's because I dual and sometimes triple boot mine but I can see how they can get away with it as Mac uses memory super efficiently. 8gb 11in Airs can be found but they can cost more than twice as much, and be much harder to find that perfect one (4Gb outsold 8gb models by about 40:1).
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #130 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 20:15:07 »
Tp4tissue likes to troll about Thinkpads, take it easy, guys.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #131 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 20:22:02 »

Latest components is stuff like 6th gen processors, DDR4 RAM, better wi-fi card, etc.

Beyond what you mentioned about Thinkpads, they are durable, easily upgradeable compared to a Mac, lower price, more options and customization.  Generally what Thinkpads are known for.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #132 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 00:33:44 »

How dare u...

Tp4 haz x220 mastery lvl 999....

Leslieann is giving you --off hand-- pricing which only works if you had all those things laying around..

Which is far less realistic a pricing quote than my list.     

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #133 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 02:29:33 »
Leslieann is giving you --off hand-- pricing which only works if you had all those things laying around..

Receipts from when I built mine.

155145-0

155147-1

I don't remember which exact card I used (I sold my X220 for $450 a few months ago) but here is one for comparison.
450meg wifi card  Intel 5300 or 6300 $7.50 - Ebay
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 December 2016, 02:35:13 by Leslieann »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #134 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 07:07:58 »
Just chiming in with my ebay'd T440s from last year:

You do have to hunt around for deals like this, Buy It Now prices tend to be around Ł300-400 for newer models, but the newer models do have some quality of life-type improvements over the venerable X220 that does make it the experience better (mainly improvements in CPU and battery life, larger and more responsive trackpad). Stay well away of the X240/T440 series as someone noted the locked down BIOS and what I view as a cardinal sin (removal of track point buttons above the trackpad), but that laptop was for my brother to do his university work and he doesn't care too much for the track point.

You can get a like-new T450 right now for Ł350 buy it now price, which is a pretty decent deal.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #135 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 08:03:21 »

Receipts from when I built mine.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

I don't remember which exact card I used (I sold my X220 for $450 a few months ago) but here is one for comparison.
450meg wifi card  Intel 5300 or 6300 $7.50 - Ebay

That's the wrong ram.. need 16gb 1866 to fully xperience the glory of x220

Gotta get on the wifi AC if you buy a card today.

there are several different versions of the IPS, the first 2 iterations had banding issues..  Only the later ones were fixed.

SSD side, 512gb is recommended to get any productivity suite going on there.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #136 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 17:47:11 »

there are several different versions of the IPS, the first 2 iterations had banding issues..  Only the later ones were fixed.

No, you don't need that ram. With 16gb it's still plenty fast compared to anything in it's class even today. Would it be faster, of course, but it's not required to make a beast of a laptop.

Wireless AC is useless unless you have a file server to store large files, most people are not transferring that much data back and forth on a laptop. N150 is enough to stream HD, 300 is enough to stream HD while transferring files or surfing.  Beyond that you get diminishing returns every step up.

IPS, Lenovo puts manufacturing dates right on the bottom of the laptop, mine had no banding. If you work outdoors, get IPS, if you work indoors, especially at night liek i do, you may actually prefer the TFT. In low light settings the IPS is like having a flashlight shone in your face. Screens are $60 and a 10 minute swap.

Drive size,
There are six 480-512gb drives currently on Newegg for $109), that's only $40 more. Not a big deal.
That said, I get by just fine on 256, even with triple boot, Solidworks and Photoshop, as would 90% of people (in my experience, most people have less than 200gigs on their system). Productivity suites do not require 200 gigs of data.  At any rate, the X220 allows for 2 drives to be installed, you can easily add a second drive later if you need the space. The T420 you can ditch the dvd and add a second drive.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #137 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 18:01:09 »

No, you don't need that ram. With 16gb it's still plenty fast compared to anything in it's class even today. Would it be faster, of course, but it's not required to make a beast of a laptop.

Wireless AC is useless unless you have a file server to store large files, most people are not transferring that much data back and forth on a laptop. N150 is enough to stream HD, 300 is enough to stream HD while transferring files or surfing.  Beyond that you get diminishing returns every step up.

IPS, Lenovo puts manufacturing dates right on the bottom of the laptop, mine had no banding. If you work outdoors, get IPS, if you work indoors, especially at night liek i do, you may actually prefer the TFT. In low light settings the IPS is like having a flashlight shone in your face. Screens are $60 and a 10 minute swap.

Drive size,
There are six 480-512gb drives currently on Newegg for $109), that's only $40 more. Not a big deal.
That said, I get by just fine on 256, even with triple boot, Solidworks and Photoshop, as would 90% of people (in my experience, most people have less than 200gigs on their system). Productivity suites do not require 200 gigs of data.  At any rate, the X220 allows for 2 drives to be installed, you can easily add a second drive later if you need the space. The T420 you can ditch the dvd and add a second drive.

Psst, I think he's trolling  :p

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #138 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 20:05:45 »

How dare u...

Show Image

My bad, I will return to bowing down in worship.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #139 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 03:23:48 »

Drive size,

Psst, I think he's trolling  :p
You know the saying you know hes lying because his lips are moving...  With Tp, you know he's trolling when his fingers are moving.
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 December 2016, 03:26:51 by Leslieann »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #140 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 07:57:32 »

How dare u...

Show Image

My bad, I will return to bowing down in worship.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #141 on: Fri, 23 December 2016, 21:22:08 »
So I got one of them Thinkpad Yoga 260s.   Dual booting with Ubuntu Gnome to have some Linux touch screen action.  Not bad when most of the touch screen stuff actually works.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #142 on: Wed, 08 August 2018, 11:00:09 »
Has anybody seen these Chinese replacement motherboards for old Thinkpads?

They look very sweet at first glance... Modern i7-HQ CPU (not socketed), dual SO-DIMM slots, dual M.2. slots and SATA.
🍉

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
« Reply #143 on: Wed, 08 August 2018, 12:03:41 »
I looked at Thinkpads but didn't like the direction Lenovo was going

Three years after, ThinkPads have:

• a worse display than the IBM models
  • a worse keyboard than the IBM models
  • a worse reputation than the IBM models

I bought a cheap T60 a few years ago. I still keep it for random things (although it has become too weak to be used for actual work). It is still fine, except the aging cooler and the notorious lack of USB ports. Which is ongoing as far as I have seen...
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #144 on: Wed, 08 August 2018, 12:10:30 »

They look very sweet at first glance... Modern i7-HQ CPU (not socketed), dual SO-DIMM slots, dual M.2. slots and SATA.

The chance to put one of these good old TP to work again is nice. But, the site and all is very confusing. Also, it seems that demand is much higher than supply and that is a death combo for final consumers, price-wise.
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 August 2018, 12:39:03 by ideus »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #145 on: Wed, 08 August 2018, 15:39:29 »

The chance to put one of these good old TP to work again is nice. But, the site and all is very confusing. Also, it seems that demand is much higher than supply and that is a death combo for final consumers, price-wise.

If you're in it for the Fashion of something-Old,  Hipster style..

Sure..

But , it's not very practical.. You can get a newer laptop with Much better batteries for that price..

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #146 on: Wed, 08 August 2018, 19:21:47 »
I looked into these and other mods that are available, there is always a compromise somewhere as you are modifying an OLD laptop. Batteries, replacement parts, support, costs, and then there are the things you don't even think about, like how modern media is all widescreen. These are often low production numbers and you have no idea where it's made. I'm not saying these mods are not cool and do extend the life of a product, but at what cost and compromise.

$740 for a 5th gen I5 X200?  Don't forget you will have to buy new ram so let's make it a $850.
Do you have any idea what kind of used notebook you can get for $850? Certainly one that will cream this in any test you can throw at it.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #147 on: Wed, 08 August 2018, 21:37:29 »
Those prices make this a bad choice economic-wise. It is always better just to buy a new lappy. I really do not see the point to resurrect an old hardware if for the same money you can get brand new everything. I really like my old X61T but it does not make sense to invest good money in such an old piece of hardware.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #148 on: Wed, 08 August 2018, 21:41:26 »
modern media is all widescreen.
If the primary task is to watch movies, then maybe a Thinkpad wasn't then best choice in the first place.

The point of resurrecting an old ThinkPad would be the screen's aspect ratio ... and of course the keyboard.
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 August 2018, 21:43:37 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #149 on: Wed, 08 August 2018, 21:57:50 »
modern media is all widescreen.
If the primary task is to watch movies, then maybe a Thinkpad wasn't then best choice in the first place.

The point of resurrecting an old ThinkPad would be the screen's aspect ratio ... and of course the keyboard.

I am a thinkpad fan-boi. But, truth be told, keyboard alone does not justify to tolerate the other low spec hardware, particularly the old materials in batteries. I am writing this with my favorite custom keyboard wired to the T460s docked with a nice high res display. I will never be able to do the same with my old X61T even with the upgraded mother board. My current setup has a dedicated graphics card, 20G or RAM the fastest NVme SDD. What motivation I may have to retroing to my old TP for a price?