Author Topic: Micro LED TVs..  (Read 2299 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Micro LED TVs..
« on: Sun, 13 January 2019, 16:21:29 »
This is another new tech , where they've got ~3 individual microled behind each LCD pixel,   Not sure of the arrangement, based on the count posted thus far, (25million per 4k panel) I'm assuming it's 1 per sub-pixel (rgb)

This should be superior to OLED in the long run in terms of motion clarity while matching OLED black levels.

It's similar in concept to Putting a Black and white tv, BEHIND an LCD tv..

VS,  panasonic's solution of using a Light modulation Cell in front of a Uniform backlight, Behind the LCD.. (IMHO panasonic's solution is prob better)

Not sure how samsung is balancing the backlight wear on that whole array, or perhaps they're not balancing it and just assume people buy a new tv every 2 years.

219 inch tv.

210514-0

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
Re: Micro LED TVs..
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 01:07:36 »
 :eek:
That's ****ing huge.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 01:42:41 »
meh, just another tech demo that will never be available to consumers

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 01:57:17 »
meh, just another tech demo that will never be available to consumers

At this point, does it really matter? If current tech of large format displays doesn't satisfy the desire to watch the latest Marvel origin film or rigged sports games at home then I'm afraid you may never be satisfied with anything

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 05:24:23 »
We still use my 10 year old 42" 1080p display.
I actually don't feel like moving beyond 1080p for my TV just yet. I'm quite satisfied with it as is.
That being said when this TV turns off for the last time I won't be unhappy about it.
I refuse to replace it before it's dead though.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 07:54:49 »
I actually don't feel like moving beyond 1080p for my TV just yet. I'm quite satisfied with it as is.
That being said when this TV turns off for the last time I won't be unhappy about it.

It can still work fine, assuming it's LED, and recalibrated,  but otherwise, the picture is going to be very -Off-..   ESPECIALLY if it's 10yr old CCFL.

You also have to consider your personal lifespan..  You can wait forever for new technology, but you become older, and your body is less capable of receiving that technology.

For example, what if someone waited until he was 80 to buy a new TV,  it could be the perfect TV, but this person now has cataracts in his eyes, and is nearly blind.. 

That is exaggerated,  something closer is, Video cards..    When Tp4 was still playing lots of games at a young age, Tp4 only haz crappy Graphics cards.

But when Tp4 could actually fordz better ones,  Tp4 was already too old to have the time and reflexes to play Vidya well..

Same idea..

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 09:36:06 »

It can still work fine, assuming it's LED, and recalibrated,  but otherwise, the picture is going to be very -Off-..   ESPECIALLY if it's 10yr old CCFL.

You also have to consider your personal lifespan..  You can wait forever for new technology, but you become older, and your body is less capable of receiving that technology.

For example, what if someone waited until he was 80 to buy a new TV,  it could be the perfect TV, but this person now has cataracts in his eyes, and is nearly blind.. 

That is exaggerated,  something closer is, Video cards..    When Tp4 was still playing lots of games at a young age, Tp4 only haz crappy Graphics cards.

But when Tp4 could actually fordz better ones,  Tp4 was already too old to have the time and reflexes to play Vidya well..

Same idea..

I follow ya.
It does work fine though, but yeah you're right it probably needs some calibration.
When I got old enough to play vidja games with decent graphics I found out I totally suck at them now.
I still enjoy it though and I game as much as I can but it's definitely not my focus any more. There are other things I enjoy more than playing games.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 14:51:17 »
There is really no reason to move beyond 1080 at this point. All media supports it naively still and the tech industry hasn't really made any true push to goad consumers to anything 'better.' Hell it took government intervention and programs to get everyone to switch from SD to HD, and with top of the line 1080 models being more affordable than ever 90% of consumers are going to choose that over anything else. Pricepoint always beats out features.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 15 January 2019, 07:40:08 »
There is really no reason to move beyond 1080 at this point. All media supports it naively still and the tech industry hasn't really made any true push to goad consumers to anything 'better.'
I agree with this completely.
I am not going to get 4k in the immediate or near future. I am just worried that finding a 1080p TV is becoming more and more difficult.
Hopefully my internet's been upgraded by that point so I can actually stream in 4k.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 15 January 2019, 10:58:28 »
There is really no reason to move beyond 1080 at this point. All media supports it naively still and the tech industry hasn't really made any true push to goad consumers to anything 'better.'
I agree with this completely.
I am not going to get 4k in the immediate or near future. I am just worried that finding a 1080p TV is becoming more and more difficult.
Hopefully my internet's been upgraded by that point so I can actually stream in 4k.

/headscratch,    Lowest usa prices for 4K tv is $200-250.. 

I guess denmark is prob higher,   but -Overall-  1080p is GONE..  except for professional-gaming monitors.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 15 January 2019, 11:40:12 »
ULED.  Hehehe.  I’d buy one.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 15 January 2019, 11:49:49 »
ULED.  Hehehe.  I’d buy one.

Same idea.. panasonic did it before hisense i berieve.. on the professional panels

But TO market,  nothing moves faster than native china brands.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 15 January 2019, 18:47:37 »
but -Overall-  1080p is GONE..  except for professional-gaming monitors. [/color][/size]

Not by a long shot.

Go look at new laptops, there is actually quite a lot of them still shipping with 760p, they usually offer high resolutions as well, but they start at 760 and in many cases max out at 1080 (X280 is one). Honestly, 760p is not bad on small screens (same pixel density as 4k 27in), but it's surprising just how many companies still offer 1366 on 15in laptops. That needs to stop, especially since the price difference is almost nothing to go from 760 to 1080.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 15 January 2019, 19:02:48 »

That's another great point. Many streaming and gaming services still don't offer 4k, and when they do it's unreliable. So even if the technology becomes more affordable, the content still has quite a bit of catching up to do.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 15 January 2019, 19:12:17 »

That's another great point. Many streaming and gaming services still don't offer 4k, and when they do it's unreliable. So even if the technology becomes more affordable, the content still has quite a bit of catching up to do.

/cough... ARgggghh.. matey.. !!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 15 January 2019, 19:16:46 »

/cough... ARgggghh.. matey.. !!

A few months back I got flagged for using a VPN which was kinda weird

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 15 January 2019, 19:17:25 »

Stay away from naughty websites NT.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 15 January 2019, 20:01:48 »

Stay away from naughty websites NT.

I think it was some random corporate site I was looking at for jobs.