Author Topic: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)  (Read 4223226 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)
« Reply #29550 on: Mon, 12 September 2022, 22:52:07 »
I went out with a group of people 2 weeks ago wearing some new pants, and I split them right down the crotch at a bar. Super embarrassing, everyone made fun the rest of the night and I walked around with a draft on my balls for the rest of the evening.

But wait, I'm me!

So I returned the pants and got a replacement pair of the same brand. I go out with the same exact group of friends, and guess what? Yup. I split my **** once more!

I will never leave the house again  :-[ :'(

Offline iri

« Reply #29551 on: Tue, 13 September 2022, 03:02:48 »
just buy normal jeans
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29552 on: Tue, 13 September 2022, 07:25:13 »

got a replacement pair of the same

Those tight pants will also make you sterile, but if you need to advertise your cute buttocks to get sex partners it may be worth the trade-off.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #29554 on: Tue, 13 September 2022, 23:07:09 »
Send photos or it did not take place?
I wanna see datass

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #29555 on: Tue, 13 September 2022, 23:34:37 »
Send photos or it did not take place?
I wanna see datass

No homo, Tp4 also wishes to see the failure of the physics engine.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #29556 on: Tue, 13 September 2022, 23:59:15 »
I returned them today, but they were the same brand, 7 For All Mankind, and both blew out in the exact same front-crotch-inseam.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29557 on: Wed, 14 September 2022, 07:55:13 »
Auditioning for a replacement for the "Love Sausage" character on "The Boys" TV show?
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29558 on: Thu, 15 September 2022, 16:05:31 »
A thousand years of longing,  great story telling, nothing trashy,  *Rare..

worth a watch.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #29559 on: Sat, 17 September 2022, 07:54:47 »
> Look at brand's catalog for a model and see listed two separate products that are required for and compatible with said model.
> Go to store and on the back of said model the packaging also lists those two compatible products and implies they come with the right size piece.
> Go buy one of the two.
> After opening discover a necessary piece is the wrong size.
> Go back to the catalog and do some mad Ctrl+F'ing.
> Find a single line of infinitesimal text in like a 200 page PDF that states the appropriate size piece only comes with a different product, which isn't listed in any of compatibility indexes further above or on the back of the packaging.

Who designed this BS.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29560 on: Sun, 18 September 2022, 03:18:51 »
Who designed this BS.
Why not name and shame so others can avoid such nonsense?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29561 on: Sun, 18 September 2022, 06:38:06 »
Who designed this BS.

Why not name and shame

I think that he is saying that it happens all too often in one way or another.

Honestly, that is very much how I feel about using Linux.
Oh, you want to know the attributes of a file that you are looking at in the directory?. You can just download another program for that (OK, which one?). Linux can't make your printer/scanner scan? Yeah, we don't know about that. Audacity will record a Youtube video but not take Line-In from the stereo amplifier. Don't know about that either ....
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 September 2022, 06:50:22 by fohat.digs »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29562 on: Sun, 18 September 2022, 07:55:39 »
Oh, you want to know the attributes of a file that you are looking at in the directory?. You can just download another program for that (OK, which one?).
File attributes are the permissions which are fundamental and always visible, you want to see metadata (ID3 tags in mp3s).  I have never found a "user friendly" distro where this wasn't visible by default so I'd say you got unlucky.

Linux can't make your printer/scanner scan? Yeah, we don't know about that.
Brother think their printers are too special to have an open source driver maintained for free indefinitely so they pay someone to make one, but they don't see it as a priority so the dev isn't allowed to spend much time on it.  Annoying definitely, but this has nothing to do with Linux and a lot to do with capitalism.

Audacity will record a Youtube video but not take Line-In from the stereo amplifier.
Audacity is a program that runs in Windows, Linux and Mac, it works well for tens (hundreds?) of thousands of users including you in Windows.  You have a problem with the most basic functionality which is bizarre but surely fixable; indeed it seemed to be fixed by using another distro though that was different hardware so maybe it is just your motherboard.  Again, not Linux - either some strange config by your distro or a non-standard implementation by your motherboard manufacturer.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29563 on: Fri, 23 September 2022, 21:11:25 »
You watch movies with pianos in them, and the sound is so obviously not from the piano they're playing.

they almost always use grand pianos even if the scene is an upright, and never the right brand.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29564 on: Sat, 24 September 2022, 08:19:10 »

the sound is so obviously not

Tangentially off-topic - No matter how hard I try to tolerate it, it makes me crazy when video tracks and audio tracks fall out of alignment !

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29565 on: Sat, 24 September 2022, 08:46:24 »

the sound is so obviously not

Tangentially off-topic - No matter how hard I try to tolerate it, it makes me crazy when video tracks and audio tracks fall out of alignment !

for low budget movies, if they're doing their own color grading/ editing in someone's house,  they're probably not using a professional setup, so this can happen.

if it's from a high budget movie, it's probably due to your TV having ~100-150 ms delay in image processing.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29566 on: Sat, 24 September 2022, 09:23:55 »

~100-150 ms delay in image processing.

It is hard to remember from inside of my cringing, but it seems like often the picture gets ahead of the sound.

But here is more of what REALLY bothers me :

Both far-right conspiracy forums and mainstream platforms such as TikTok have spread wild claims in the past week that all surround the date of September 24. Although there's no proof whatsoever that anything catastrophic or world changing will happen on that date, the otherwise unremarkable day has become the source of rampant online speculation.

QAnon followers, apocalyptic conspiracy theorists and various content creators have fixated on the date, sharing baseless theories across social media that have received millions of views. Each has come up with convoluted explanations for why the day has some hidden meaning.

That is - that one of these days, the Bat**** Brotherhood will graduate from slaughtering classrooms of 8-year-olds to actual *mass* killings.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29567 on: Mon, 26 September 2022, 18:31:50 »
Why don't lighted keyboards come with a physical switch so that you can turn the f_cking lights off (semi-)permanently?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29568 on: Tue, 04 October 2022, 15:08:44 »
The power button built in to the SD card slot on my Tera Player has broken properly (first the plastic bit snapped off so I stuck a bit of old bank card in there and it worked for a couple of months but now the metal bit has snapped too) and the crazy German is currently charging 3312 Euros for a replacement although it only has a 2 inch square PCB.

I know what needs connecting to turn it on but what type of switch is easy to use yet wont move when stuffed in a pocket?  One option involves disabling one of the outputs and using a pin to short two contacts in the headphone socket, but that seems a bit extreme...
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 October 2022, 15:16:04 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29569 on: Wed, 05 October 2022, 17:44:12 »
Ringo Starr has Covid and postponed the remainder of his current tour. I never knew about his childhood until I read this today :

At the age of six, Starkey developed appendicitis. Following a routine appendectomy he contracted peritonitis, causing him to fall into a coma that lasted days.
His recovery spanned twelve months, which he spent away from his family at Liverpool's Myrtle Street children's hospital.
Upon his discharge in May 1948, his mother allowed him to stay at home, causing him to miss school.
At age eight, he remained illiterate, with a poor grasp of mathematics. His lack of education contributed to a feeling of alienation at school, which resulted in his regularly playing truant at Sefton Park.
After several years of twice-weekly tutoring from his surrogate sister and neighbour, Marie Maguire Crawford, Starkey had nearly caught up to his peers academically, but in 1953, he contracted tuberculosis and was admitted to a sanatorium, where he remained for two years.

It was at this point young Mr. Starkey picked up a liking for percussion.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #29570 on: Fri, 07 October 2022, 18:35:59 »
I always knew I had a problem with supplements, but this morning I actually took the time to count them out.
I take 34 pills every morning, and honestly, I am unsure most of them do anything at all. I just blindly take them  :-\

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29571 on: Fri, 07 October 2022, 18:57:36 »

most of them do anything

They dramatically raise the dollar value of your urine.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #29572 on: Fri, 07 October 2022, 19:01:43 »

most of them do anything

They dramatically raise the dollar value of your urine.

yeah, my lunchtime piss of the day always looks like The Toxic Avengers blood
I swear, sometimes it glows in the dark  :eek:

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29573 on: Fri, 07 October 2022, 19:42:58 »

my lunchtime piss of the day

I suppose that you realize that vitamins need to be taken with food in order to absorb properly, and quite a few are fat-soluble rather than water-soluble, so those may not absorb properly unless there is some fat in the stomach along with them as a carrier. You need vitamin D in order to absorb calcium, protein to absorb zinc, etc, etc.

Presumably you know all that.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29574 on: Fri, 07 October 2022, 20:12:42 »
I always knew I had a problem with supplements, but this morning I actually took the time to count them out.
I take 34 pills every morning, and honestly, I am unsure most of them do anything at all. I just blindly take them  :-\

you take 34 diff supplements each morning ?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #29575 on: Fri, 07 October 2022, 20:57:06 »

No, I take 15 different ones but they add up to 34 pills total

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29576 on: Fri, 07 October 2022, 21:08:39 »

No, I take 15 different ones but they add up to 34 pills total

off the shelf supplements aren't regulated NT,  they can sell you literal saw dust and put anything on the label they want, and it's buyer beware laws, no regulation whatsoever.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #29577 on: Sun, 09 October 2022, 03:22:14 »
That horrible and disgusting **** that went down in Thailand, and no one is even talking about it. Everyone I mentioned it to had no idea it even happened.
This world is so sick, and it seems to be spreading like wildfire.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29578 on: Sun, 09 October 2022, 03:38:16 »
That horrible and disgusting **** that went down in Thailand, and no one is even talking about it. Everyone I mentioned it to had no idea it even happened.
I was unaware and had to look it up and it's one nutjob, if we heard about them all we'd all be more depressed at the state of the world.  When it comes to stuff like that where we have no power to do anything about it or to prevent a "next time" I can't help thinking that ignorance is bliss :(
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #29579 on: Sun, 09 October 2022, 04:56:15 »
I was unaware and had to look it up and it's one nutjob, if we heard about them all we'd all be more depressed at the state of the world.  When it comes to stuff like that where we have no power to do anything about it or to prevent a "next time" I can't help thinking that ignorance is bliss :(

Sorry to bring you down, man :(

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29580 on: Sun, 09 October 2022, 05:08:31 »
Don't worry about it, there isn't far to go after another nutjob threatens to drown your whole country with a nuclear tsunami :blank:
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #29581 on: Sun, 09 October 2022, 05:34:09 »
Don't worry about it, there isn't far to go after another nutjob threatens to drown your whole country with a nuclear tsunami :blank:

Just get to bed early so you can really make an impact doing that 9 to 5'er!

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29582 on: Sun, 09 October 2022, 06:11:36 »
doing that 9 to 5'er!
I should be so lucky, 6 to 6'ers for me as the only earner in the house.  Your cartoon is perfect - got to keep the happy face up.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29583 on: Sun, 09 October 2022, 08:37:02 »

When it comes to stuff like that

Killing schoolchildren with a knife is particularly ghoulish.
Terms like "self-loathing" are hopelessly inadequate to explain the motivation of a person who would do that.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29584 on: Sun, 09 October 2022, 08:47:45 »

I'm not saying it's good, but, selective outrage..

What the milk industry is.

cows have to be forcibly impregnated to produce milk. (R4pe)

the baby calf has to be removed so they don't drink all the milk, the mother cows will wail/cry for up to 2 weeks. (K1dnapp1ng)

the cow gets to live for 4-5 years total, killed for hamburgers, out of 15-20 years natural lifespan. (Murd3r)

29 MILLION cows every year go through this.

Every burger = ~2400 liters of fresh water use,  devastating impact on climate change

Meat consumption = primary cause of heartdisease/ cancer/ diabetes

and no one is even talking about it. Everyone I mentioned it to had no idea it even happened.

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #29585 on: Tue, 11 October 2022, 07:51:46 »
I'm bothered at how racist you are. Dark? Really!?

Well all I can say is I like dark meat best.

Also my hair is dark...well most of it...some if it is turning gray (not quite white).

And the seat in my jeep are dark also.

I also love sleeping in the dark.

I just don't like driving to and from work in the dark and not getting to see the sunshine, also deer like to run out in front me and I really don't want to hit one and total my jeep.  :(

As someone with dark hair, I say this is a good thing. Having the sun shine on dark hair makes it so hot and it's annoying lol.
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29586 on: Tue, 11 October 2022, 09:06:01 »

Whoa! Blast from the past. There are 2 guys that we have been missing for a long time.

But as a fair-skinned, graying, balding, blue-eyed old man I can tell you for a fact that decades of UV from our life-giving old Sol has taken its toll on my outer layers.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #29587 on: Tue, 11 October 2022, 09:14:01 »
Tom Delonge is back with blink-182 and the closest tour date is on my sons b-day  :(

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29588 on: Thu, 13 October 2022, 11:13:28 »
Serial baby murderer nurse.

Honestly, I wonder what % of serial kilzzrs are female,  prolly getn' away with it because of public perception.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29589 on: Tue, 18 October 2022, 09:48:51 »
whenever there are Oreos next to Tp4,  he can't stop eating them.   

1 day, someone is going to poison tp4, and it'll be the oreos, and basically unblockable because tp4 has -999% oreo resistance.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #29590 on: Wed, 19 October 2022, 14:39:35 »
I am so sick, literally and metaphorically, from this forest fire horrible smoke. It's been 2 weeks, maybe 3 weeks, I have lost count. But the constant forest fire smell and thick smoke in the air at all times is getting really ****ing goddamn old. Can' go out, can't open the window, I am choking in here AND out there. This sucks so bad dude, I really with it would rain or something. Tired of waking up coughing and having a constant headache all day for weeks.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29591 on: Wed, 19 October 2022, 20:54:48 »
Good time to rewatch Soylent Green, it's gon' be like that for real,  with 1 exception, there will be no fat people, everyone will suddenly be skinny. :D

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #29592 on: Wed, 19 October 2022, 21:12:47 »
Good time to rewatch Soylent Green, it's gon' be like that for real,  with 1 exception, there will be no fat people, everyone will suddenly be skinny. :D

Today WA officially has the worst air quality in the World, and tomorrow is supposed to be even worse.
At least America is beating China at something  :rolleyes:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29593 on: Wed, 19 October 2022, 22:09:47 »

Today WA officially has the worst air quality in the World, and tomorrow is supposed to be even worse.

don't worry NT,  No one will survive.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29594 on: Thu, 20 October 2022, 12:12:21 »
Oreos definitely makes one edgy, affects sleep cycle prolly.

Offline jamster

« Reply #29595 on: Fri, 21 October 2022, 06:52:41 »

WTH? I just Googled photos of Washington/Seattle and it looks not a patch of what I have seen with my own eyes in China. All the photos still show buildings in the background- in China you can't see distant buildings. The creepy thing I've seen in China is pollution that gives a sparkle effect from car headlights- very Diamond Age/Neal Stephenson.

Maybe it's the worst in the world just for this moment, but hey, it's not caused by the very immediate human activities of factories, crop burning, or fireworks.

Sorry, I am not trying to undermine the discomfort felt by those affected, but from the photos I saw, my reaction was surprise.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 October 2022, 06:58:25 by jamster »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29596 on: Sat, 22 October 2022, 09:33:51 »
Here is a quick time line about what has happened to education in America since Ronald Reagan came onto the scene.

https://www.insidehighered.com/views/2022/10/20/rising-tuition-killed-intellectual-curiosity-opinion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29597 on: Sat, 22 October 2022, 09:39:15 »
Here is a quick time line about what has happened to education in America since Ronald Reagan came onto the scene.

https://www.insidehighered.com/views/2022/10/20/rising-tuition-killed-intellectual-curiosity-opinion

^^^  maybe at the upper insulated level. upper middle class and above

but for everyone else, HEDONISM killed intellectual curiosity.

If we look at the rat park and calhoun experiments, the mice became very stupid, and they no longer developed proper behavior as their environment no longer provided the normal feedback loop /stimuli to program their psyche properly.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29598 on: Sat, 22 October 2022, 10:28:22 »

HEDONISM killed intellectual curiosity.

their environment no longer provided the normal feedback loop /stimuli to program their psyche properly.

Did you actually read the article?

You turned their premise around backwards.

(deliberate) Removal of intellectual stimuli and feedback left a vacuum that hedonism filled by default.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29599 on: Sat, 22 October 2022, 12:13:42 »

HEDONISM killed intellectual curiosity.

their environment no longer provided the normal feedback loop /stimuli to program their psyche properly.

Did you actually read the article?

You turned their premise around backwards.

(deliberate) Removal of intellectual stimuli and feedback left a vacuum that hedonism filled by default.

Tp4 is not in conflict with the article,  the difference is where you cut the cheese.

they're talking about it from the perspetive of capitalism.

capitalism by necessity drives the highest "hedonic response" using the "lowest cost"

this is why Burgers / alcohol/ video games all got cheaper.

Hedonism is the root problem.   the divestment away from intellectual "PRODUCT"  is because hedonism is easier money, it actively displaced everything else. 

the article looks at it from when the money shifted, hedonism never shifted, it was always the undercurrent, making everything worse concurrently with nearly the entire history of man.

For example, we have the ability to make educational products today at very low cost, and most of it is "FREE",   yet very few takers.

piano, everyone can buy a digital one that sounds very decent, and plays well for ~$500.   no one wants one, they want xbox, nintendo, Nvidia.