Author Topic: Optimal Monitor Sizes  (Read 11393 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Optimal Monitor Sizes
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 12:00:23 »
Get the  31MU97-B

It's hands down the best 4k Profesh IPS out today if you're going that route..  The color is UBER good..

But that said..   Asus Swift makes the biggest difference in terms of MOTION image quality because it has ULMB.. night and day..

The swift is super expensive though. Yeah it looks good, but I haven't heard 100% good things though =/

IMO the BenQ XL2720Z looks better. Especially when you get one ****ing display port input on the Swift. WTF is that all about?

Um... the 2720z is 1080p..  there's a huge difference...

The Swift is made for PC - Master race..

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 12:22:16 »

OK, yeah, ignore that part. What about the Asus PB278Q instead (4ms is nothing) or the Asus PB278QR

Why is there only one display port input?
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 February 2015, 12:30:51 by katushkin »
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 12:40:28 »

OK, yeah, ignore that part. What about the Asus PB278Q instead (4ms is nothing) or the Asus PB278QR

Why is there only one display port input?

Asus PB278Q  is a PLS panel with NO ULMB,  there's no point in getting a TN or PLS panel at this point if you don't also get ULMB...  The IPS panel of the same size is cheaper and has much better colors..

Asus PB278QR is identical to all the other Budget Korean panels on Ebay..  You're better off just getting the "Cross Over" branded one..

They're all the same Grade A- panels with defects...

Defects include but not limited to:

Un-uniform backlit

Backlit bleed

Un-uniform contrast

Dark pixels

Dead pixels

Bright pixels

Defective SUB pixels, (a broken r g or b element OF 1 pixel)

Color Tint

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 12:53:49 »
But why is there only one display port...

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 12:56:24 »
Anything 21:9
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 14:44:18 »
another monitor size to consider that I've absolutely fell in love with is this 34 inch ultra wide.  The resolution is 3440 x 1440 and its a bit pricey, but i can have all my development stuff open in larger windows than I'm used to.  I also have a 24 inch dell ultra sharp (1920 x 1200) to the left.  Makes for a pretty good setup.

sorry for potato quality
Show Image

I've really been lusting after one of those 34" ultrawides after watching Linus review the LG 34UM95... so smexy! One day I'll get me one of those along with a nice new video card (never thought 2Gb VRAM would feel outdated so quickly!)

Bro..

Get the  31MU97-B

It's hands down the best 4k Profesh IPS out today if you're going that route..  The color is UBER good..

But that said..   Asus Swift makes the biggest difference in terms of MOTION image quality because it has ULMB.. night and day..
I do way too much gaming on my PC to bother with a 4K primary monitor; 4K isn't ready for primetime yet. If I had the luxury of a PC dedicated to photo editing I might consider one, but my machine needs to be multipurpose for now.

I do a lot of gaming and programming and this monitor works pretty well for both.  I transitioned to this from 3 24inch ultra sharps in nvidia surround.  love getting rid of the black bars.  The nice thing about the LG is that it has a kvm built in so when I have my laptop plugged in I get my keyboard and mouse as well and when I switch to desktop my keyboard and mouse come too.  I have a GTX Titan powering this setup..... not really the most affordable setup but it sure is nice.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 17:11:05 »
another monitor size to consider that I've absolutely fell in love with is this 34 inch ultra wide.  The resolution is 3440 x 1440 and its a bit pricey, but i can have all my development stuff open in larger windows than I'm used to.  I also have a 24 inch dell ultra sharp (1920 x 1200) to the left.  Makes for a pretty good setup.

sorry for potato quality
Show Image

I think the Ultrawide monitors will get more interesting when Windows 10 and 2x2 Snap becomes available.
They do look awesome though. Really like a next step in computing.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 17:33:57 »
2x2 snap sounds awesome. 34" 3440*1440 monitor on the other hand feels waaay too large for a single monitor, and at the same time you still get less pixels than 2x 16:9 1440p monitors. amazing for movies sure, but i don't know if it's preferable over a more traditional setup.. i honestly think choosing the ideal monitor setup is the most difficult part of a pc build, especially now when we're on the cusp of 4k hitting mainstream, along with techs like the Rift in development. seems like you will have to make compromises no matter what you go with

Offline phishy

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 19:30:59 »
The obvious choice would be a few 34" ultrawide 3440X1440 setups to look at.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 20:52:23 »

Because they assume you're gonna attach it to you most awesome gaming PC.. The ONE pc to rule them ALL..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 20:53:56 »

Ultra wide is fine if you're watching a  2.35:1 aspect ratio Movie..

But for Games, and work... It's just really bad... you're constantly moving around windows and resizing because apps were just not designed to work at that aspect ratio..

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 20:59:06 »

But for Games, and work... It's just really bad... you're constantly moving around windows and resizing because apps were just not designed to work at that aspect ratio..

I beg to differ.  Most games support the resolution giving you a more immersive experience.  As for work, I absolutely love the real estate on 1 display. I can have my text editor and browser side by side.  Given I have a 24 inch monitor off to the side I can throw up my email and terminal and I'm good to go.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 21:04:41 »

I beg to differ.  Most games support the resolution giving you a more immersive experience.  As for work, I absolutely love the real estate on 1 display. I can have my text editor and browser side by side.  Given I have a 24 inch monitor off to the side I can throw up my email and terminal and I'm good to go.

It might "WORK" with some fiddling..

But the 16:10 is Tried and True..

The major problem with 21:9 is that it's essentially the equivalent of having slightly less than 2x 24" monitors side by side..

24" is too damn small for comfortable viewing. It can not be used @ natural vergence and accommodation distance of the "human eye". ~~36 Inches

The ultrawide itself may or may not be better than using 2x 24" monitors,  but the same problem persists..  it's just too small..

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 22:10:44 »

It might "WORK" with some fiddling..

But the 16:10 is Tried and True..

The major problem with 21:9 is that it's essentially the equivalent of having slightly less than 2x 24" monitors side by side..

24" is too damn small for comfortable viewing. It can not be used @ natural vergence and accommodation distance of the "human eye". ~~36 Inches

The ultrawide itself may or may not be better than using 2x 24" monitors,  but the same problem persists..  it's just too small..

I can view my monitors quite comfortably, but to each his own.  What works for one, may not work for another.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 22:18:33 »
24" is definitely not too small for comfortable viewing. many people deem it as the best size for playing competitive games that require you to keep track of every onscreen detail

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 22:34:55 »
24" is definitely not too small for comfortable viewing. many people deem it as the best size for playing competitive games that require you to keep track of every onscreen detail

Nope.. it's too small..

The Natural vergence distance and accommodation distance of the EYE are set limits.. they're not up for negotiation..

Anyone's opinion on the matter is irrelevant..

irrespective of screen size... the LIMIT of our physiology says that we should be a minimum of ~36 inches away from the monitor,  such that our eyes muscles are AT REST..

There's nothing to dispute.. 

The reason that we've stuck with smaller monitors for so long is because of COST for the most part, and the Typical Desk size..

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 02:24:32 »

Because they assume you're gonna attach it to you most awesome gaming PC.. The ONE pc to rule them ALL..

OK, but let me just do some sweeping generalisations:

This is the best monitor according to tp

A lot of people who have experienced multiple monitors would say that three is the optimal amount of monitors to use (no bezel in the middle of your field of vision, don't have to move your head much, etc)

Most people with "good" gaming PCs have between one and two GPUs.

Most "good" GPUs under $400 have only one display port output.

Therefore, in order to run the optimal number of three of these fantastic screens, you need to have three GPUs, ($900-1200) as well as a PSU that can power all of them, (~$150) a mobo with the right PCIE slots to run them (~$200) as well as the price of the screens themselves ($2100) meaning you are paying over $3000.

Any other normal monitor, you could run three of them off one card. That's all I'm saying.

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 02:34:20 »

A lot of people who have experienced multiple monitors would say that three is the optimal amount of monitors to use (no bezel in the middle of your field of vision, don't have to move your head much, etc)

Therefore, in order to run the optimal number of three of these fantastic screens, you need to have three GPUs, ($900-1200) as well as a PSU that can power all of them, (~$150) a mobo with the right PCIE slots to run them (~$200) as well as the price of the screens themselves ($2100) meaning you are paying over $3000.

Any other normal monitor, you could run three of them off one card. That's all I'm saying.
Doesn't Display Port 1.2 allow for daisy chaining devices so you don't need multiple DP out ports?
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 05:17:26 »

Doesn't Display Port 1.2 allow for daisy chaining devices so you don't need multiple DP out ports?

If this is true then all my concerns and generalisations would be invalid.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #69 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 05:53:20 »

If this is true then all my concerns and generalisations would be invalid.

It's partially true..

On certain monitors + certain graphics cards (even 1.2+ rated)  the daisy chain thing doesn't work and you get intermittent connections..

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 08:18:03 »

thunderbolt does daisy chaining, it's essentially pci express over a cable

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 09:16:24 »

Ew.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 13:15:24 »

Ew.

???

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 15:13:23 »

Ew.

???

I would really like to see more Fiber for home use..

that actually sounds pretty cool, I would like to see that as well.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 01:01:34 »
3x30"

Accept no substitutes

Show Image

Can I come over and play at your house?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 02:04:41 »
Unfortunately I have a super tiny room lol.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 02:14:32 »
Unfortunately I have a super tiny room lol.

and a low sperm count from all that radiation.  hahahahahaha jk

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 02:41:55 »
3x30"

Accept no substitutes

Show Image

Can I come over and play at your house?

so... rape-y

rude
wait okay I just noticed that alien avatar.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 04:37:58 »
I really like the idea of the Ultrawide monitors but I would like to put my speakers to the side to keep plenty of room underneath.
Want to go for a minimalistic look for my next build with smaller speakers (Creative T40's) and a Mini-ITX case.

Any idea how that might work? I mean you could use a triple monitor arm setup and dabble something together but there should be better options than that.
|||My other keyboards :
More
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 10:08:49 »
I really like the idea of the Ultrawide monitors but I would like to put my speakers to the side to keep plenty of room underneath.
Want to go for a minimalistic look for my next build with smaller speakers (Creative T40's) and a Mini-ITX case.

Any idea how that might work? I mean you could use a triple monitor arm setup and dabble something together but there should be better options than that.

EEEEEEEUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH LINUS.

I can't STAND that guy.

But I agree with you and kind of regret not going Micro ATX or Mini ITX on my most recent build.

I still need to do that downsizing on my old PC....

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 10:28:13 »

I can't STAND that guy.

But I agree with you and kind of regret not going Micro ATX or Mini ITX on my most recent build.

As certain game character would say: "Like a chipmunk on coffee"  :))

(Source)

Granted that is the Asus MX299Q up there and a 34" 21:9 monitor would be 10 cm wider and almost as wide as the mouse mat. :P
(700.2 x 391 x 215.1mm vs 829.9 x 468.9 x 172.9mm)
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #83 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 10:38:30 »

I can't STAND that guy.

As certain game character would say: "Like a chipmunk on coffee"  :))

Show Image

(Source)

Granted that is the Asus MX299Q up there and a 34" 21:9 monitor would be 10 cm wider and almost as wide as the mouse mat. :P
(700.2 x 391 x 215.1mm vs 829.9 x 468.9 x 172.9mm)
Dang that looks nice! Not to derail the thread, but what kind of chair is that?
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #84 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 14:09:39 »

I can't STAND that guy.

downsizing just makes everything harder to work with... it offers virtually ZERO space saving..

And it's almost impossible to dedust easily

The only purpose of a smaller PC is to look a bit cuter...  but that's a stupid reason to go through the trouble.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #85 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 14:26:38 »

I can't STAND that guy.

downsizing just makes everything harder to work with... it offers virtually ZERO space saving..

The only purpose of a smaller PC is to look a bit cuter...  but that's a stupid reason to go through the trouble.
It is a nice challenge and some people just prefer the extra working space.
I love the room my Midi-tower offers but I'm not going to put a $400 or in this case $200 case right next to my feet so I can mess it up by accidentally kicking it or driving my chair into it.
I had a full-blown tape deck on my desk for a while (about as big as a full-size tower) and it made me feel boxed in.
As you can see I always have a ****-ton of books and projects on my desk and not having a receiver or smaller case can give me much more room to work with.

|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #86 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 14:34:53 »

I can't STAND that guy.

It is a nice challenge and some people just prefer the extra working space.
I love the room my Midi-tower offers but I'm not going to put a $400 or in this case $200 case right next to my feet so I can mess it up by accidentally kicking it or driving my chair into it.
I had a full-blown tape deck on my desk for a while (about as big as a full-size tower) and it made me feel boxed in.
As you can see I always have a ****-ton of books and projects on my desk and not having a receiver or smaller case can give me much more room to work with.

Show Image

Show Image

Solution is  to take all that stuff on the left,  put-it-in-the-garage/basement..

THEN buy a bigger desk..   Then put the comp- on the floor away from the chair..

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #87 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 14:52:22 »
Solution is  to take all that stuff on the left,  put-it-in-the-garage/basement..

THEN buy a bigger desk..   Then put the comp- on the floor away from the chair..
The climate around here is not fit for storage of sensitive stuff like that. Not going to put a $1500 tape deck that used to be my grandfather's in a damp garage.
Space is at a premium around here so a bigger desk is not possible.

I know you have some strong opinions tp4tissue but sometimes you are simply wrong. :P
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #88 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 15:25:00 »

The climate around here is not fit for storage of sensitive stuff like that. Not going to put a $1500 tape deck that used to be my grandfather's in a damp garage.
Space is at a premium around here so a bigger desk is not possible.

I know you have some strong opinions tp4tissue but sometimes you are simply wrong. :P

Then you take your older cloths that you don't wear from the closet, move them into the basement/garage.

Then move your tape-decks into the closet..  Then buy bigger desk..

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Optimal Monitor Sizes
« Reply #89 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 22:06:56 »

Offline abenntt

• 桜のブルース!
« Reply #90 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 16:50:52 »
Just got a 21:9 1 29" LG monitor yesturday.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #91 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 17:10:33 »
Just got a 21:9 1 29" LG monitor yesturday.
Show Image

Pics! :P

|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #92 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 18:43:53 »
24 inch monitor works best for me. I don't think my desk can fit in a larger one.
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #93 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 18:05:28 »
4MP (or higher) 30-32" wide-screen at ~50cm distance works best for me...

Offline Bsclly

• I hope you're having a good day!
« Reply #94 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 14:29:54 »
My 27 inch BenQ monitor works perfectly for me, I have a pretty big desk so my monitors are pushed back. No eye strain, and I can still read everything on the screen. I've tried it all from 32" to 24", 27" just seemed like it's a perfect size for a Monitor
Switches Tried: Reds, Blues
Favorite Switches: Blues

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #95 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 06:01:35 »
I wish I'd managed to get a third Lenovo L201p. I currently have two in portrait next to each other, and it's already great, but a third one would make it perfect.

The 1:1 Eizo starts to make sense.