Author Topic: [CLOSED]EPDM 40a O-ring group buy. [FINI]  (Read 38829 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
[CLOSED]EPDM 40a O-ring group buy. [FINI]
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 15 March 2012, 21:36:47 »
Quote from: captain;545546
HNBR has recently been developed to meet higher temperatures than standard NBR while retaining resistance to petroleum based oils. Obtained by hydrogenating the nitrile copolymer, HNBR fills the gap left between NBR, EPDM and FKM elastomers where high temperature conditions require high tensile strength while maintaining excellent resistance to motor oils, sour gas, amine/oil mixtures, oxidized fuels, and lubricating oils. HNBR is resistant to mineral oil-based hydraulic fluids, animal and vegetable fats, diesel fuel, ozone, sour gas, dilute acids and bases. HNBR also resists new bio-oils (biological oils). HNBR is suitable for high dynamic loads and has a good abrasion resistance. HNBR is suitable for temperatures from -30°C to +150°C (-20°F to +302°F).

The carboxyl group is added to significantly improve the abrasion resistance of NBR while retaining excellent oil and solvent resistance. XNBR compounds provide high tensile strength and good physical properties at high temperatures. XNBR is suitable for temperatures from -30°C to +150°C (-20°F to +302°F).

does it come in 40A though?

Offline captain

« Reply #151 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 05:05:07 »
Typical O-ring hardness seems to be around 70A.

I guess this group buy is dead.  Too bad.
Welcome to geekhack -- where we like to type -- but don't care so much about reading.

Offline piken

« Reply #152 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 07:52:43 »
My apologizes. I have been really sick for the past week and a half and in the hospital. I am just getting home and trying to get things cleared up. The Buy is going to be delayed about a week longer due to it.

Sorry for the delay and wait.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #153 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 09:33:19 »
Quote from: piken;547729
My apologizes. I have been really sick for the past week and a half and in the hospital. I am just getting home and trying to get things cleared up. The Buy is going to be delayed about a week longer due to it.

's cool. I had faith in you. I hope you're okay now and the bills aren't too high.

Offline ryan92084

• Consumer ****
« Reply #154 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 13:46:07 »
Quote from: captain;547642
Typical O-ring hardness seems to be around 70A.

I guess this group buy is dead.  Too bad.

[video=youtube;xos2MnVxe-c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xos2MnVxe-c[/video]

RiP *ucky Shine(ing)

Offline cix

« Reply #155 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 12:17:38 »
come gather and rejoice!!!!!

Offline captain

« Reply #156 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 14:33:28 »
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 March 2012, 14:39:29 by captain »
Welcome to geekhack -- where we like to type -- but don't care so much about reading.

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #157 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 17:07:37 »
I didnt get an invoice yet =[
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline Ahlitah

« Reply #158 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 17:57:31 »
I still don't get this.

The OP is sick and in hospital, I understand that and am sorry for that.

But he LOGGED into GH while there so he could read posts. But couldn't of taken a sec or 2 to post an update that he's sick and has to hold off?

I'm basing this logging in on what GH reports under his user info, that he was ONLINE during the time he's been silent.

Offline xquisit

« Reply #159 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 18:15:15 »
Bah, did anyone order extras that I can buy off them?

XD
I\'d rather die like a man than live like a coward - 2pac

Offline silat

« Reply #160 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 19:35:18 »
Quote from: piken;547729

Never doubted you for a minute. Hope you are feeling well now that you have had a sponge bath by a hot nurse.
Fighting the Christian American Taliban daily with my Deck Legend loaded with Cherry MX Clears //
Deck Legend Ice Clears // Deck Legend Frost Clears // Ducky Shining Purple Browns//QPAD MK85 Browns //

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #161 on: Sun, 18 March 2012, 18:22:44 »
Quote from: Ahlitah;549200
I still don't get this.

The OP is sick and in hospital, I understand that and am sorry for that.

But he LOGGED into GH while there so he could read posts. But couldn't of taken a sec or 2 to post an update that he's sick and has to hold off?

I'm basing this logging in on what GH reports under his user info, that he was ONLINE during the time he's been silent.

Conspiracy theories eh??,, I'm telling you he's a serial killer who's after keyboard geeks.

Offline Ahlitah

« Reply #162 on: Mon, 19 March 2012, 08:09:05 »
Quote from: tp4tissue;550023
Conspiracy theories eh??,, I'm telling you he's a serial killer who's after keyboard geeks.

heh

well i'm not saying the OP is out to 'GET' anyone. Or try to rip anyone off.

I'm just saying he's acting VERY suspiciously!

For sure, this is NOT a way to run a group buy. There needs to be communication. WE GET NONE from the OP. Except minor updates or excuses (being sick in the hospital is a good excuse, bad for the OP though, since being sick is never fun)

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #163 on: Mon, 19 March 2012, 08:20:15 »
Oops.  I thought this a different group buy...

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #164 on: Mon, 19 March 2012, 09:15:40 »
Quote from: itlnstln;550457
Oops.  I thought this a different group buy...

every time I open this thread...
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #165 on: Mon, 19 March 2012, 14:06:10 »
Quote from: Ahlitah;550451
heh

well i'm not saying the OP is out to 'GET' anyone. Or try to rip anyone off.

I'm just saying he's acting VERY suspiciously!

For sure, this is NOT a way to run a group buy. There needs to be communication. WE GET NONE from the OP. Except minor updates or excuses (being sick in the hospital is a good excuse, bad for the OP though, since being sick is never fun)

I have faith in OP, despite the current state of dissent.

I am always ready for criminals at my front door though... Got my trusty crossbow, the whole defense process will be silent without waking the neighbors.

Offline captain

« Reply #166 on: Mon, 19 March 2012, 16:26:51 »
Nvm. I can't read. Pack of one.
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 March 2012, 16:29:06 by captain »

Offline captain

« Reply #167 on: Mon, 19 March 2012, 17:52:01 »
I have a call in to a USA manufacturer. 1k-3k o-rings at 20a-40a SOFT!  Will let y'all know what I find out, but from other pricing it looks like around $0.05/ring plus shipping.

Offline sordna

« Reply #168 on: Mon, 19 March 2012, 18:24:39 »
Nice! They are probably silicone at that softness, right? Would they be the usual rust/ceramic color, or something else?
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline captain

« Reply #169 on: Tue, 20 March 2012, 06:10:04 »
We are talking about silicone or possibly using neoprene. I think that we can get to 30a.

I got a set of silicone 70a last week. I think that all this noise about super soft is fallacious supposition. The 70a plus new keycaps cut noise and seems to have reduced key travel a bit. I played with a keycapless switch though and noticed that it bottoms out at what appears to be less travel than the distance from the keycap to the switch housing. So, I question whether the orings do anything more than add mass and dampen vibration. I think we need some KEYBOARD SCIENCE here!  :-)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #170 on: Tue, 20 March 2012, 09:25:54 »
I thought it works like this:
cherry keyswitch will usually bottom out when either the keystem reaches it's lowest pint in the keyswitch. If you add an O-ring, you can reduce that travel, by raising the point of lowest travel to where the keycap+oring contact the top of the keyswitch housing.

Now, I don't have orings, so I can't tell you for sure, but that's how I thought it worked. Maybe we should wait for Sordna, he's pretty knowledgeable about these things.

Captain, what about thickness? How thick are your orings?

Offline sordna

« Reply #171 on: Tue, 20 March 2012, 10:22:13 »
I use 008 size o-rings (which are about 1.8mm thick), but metric 1.5mm x 5mm work too and reduce key travel less. The softer the o-ring, the better the sound and vibration dampening. You can still hear a thud with 70A when bottoming out, but when you use 40A it's almost silent.
The softest I have are 30A silicone ones from WhiteFireDragon. Why would you use neoprene instead of silicone ?

Keys normally bottom out when the stem reaches bottom inside the switch. The o-rings prevent that by making the keycap stop against the switch housing, but they have to be at least 1mm thick, otherwise the stem will bottom out before the keycap gets involved, since there is normally some free space between switch top and keycap at the bottom out position.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #172 on: Tue, 20 March 2012, 17:44:52 »
Quote from: sordna;551442
I use 008 size o-rings (which are about 1.8mm thick), but metric 1.5mm x 5mm work too and reduce key travel less. The softer the o-ring, the better the sound and vibration dampening. You can still hear a thud with 70A when bottoming out, but when you use 40A it's almost silent.
The softest I have are 30A silicone ones from WhiteFireDragon. Why would you use neoprene instead of silicone ?

Keys normally bottom out when the stem reaches bottom inside the switch. The o-rings prevent that by making the keycap stop against the switch housing, but they have to be at least 1mm thick, otherwise the stem will bottom out before the keycap gets involved, since there is normally some free space between switch top and keycap at the bottom out position.

Try my ghetto rings made from old membrane keyboards. they're silicone rubber, and only slightly tougher than rubberband, so it's pretty much 30-35 A,, The bottom out noise will always be there, but has thus become a barely inaudible dull thud. The loudest part of my board now is the Blue's natural click.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #173 on: Tue, 20 March 2012, 17:47:58 »
Quote from: captain;551308
We are talking about silicone or possibly using neoprene. I think that we can get to 30a.

I got a set of silicone 70a last week. I think that all this noise about super soft is fallacious supposition. The 70a plus new keycaps cut noise and seems to have reduced key travel a bit. I played with a keycapless switch though and noticed that it bottoms out at what appears to be less travel than the distance from the keycap to the switch housing. So, I question whether the orings do anything more than add mass and dampen vibration. I think we need some KEYBOARD SCIENCE here!  :-)

Here's the problem with silicone though,, Soft, but also only has Half the Tensile strength of EPDM

My ghetto rings are made from old membrane keyboards, and they more easily tear compared to epdm gaskets around the house

Offline sordna

« Reply #174 on: Tue, 20 March 2012, 19:09:42 »
Your ghetto rings may actually be 20A durometer! Not to mention that the finish makes a big difference in durability, a smooth round o-ring will be way more tear resistent than a cut-off piece with jagged edges.

I have 40A and 30A silicon rings, they are quite resilient... I've stretched them and chewed them as a test! Way better than dental bands or other soft stuff. My question to captain is to specifically to compare neoprene vs silicone for o-rings of the same durometer.

Offline captain

« Reply #175 on: Tue, 20 March 2012, 19:22:51 »
I got 70a 008 silicone o-rings in red, 100 pack from amazon for about $10.

I don't have a decent recording studio set up at the moment, so audio won't be very good.  I may do a sample anyway.

I didn't o-ring the number row, and I clearly hear a difference. I'll o-ring 2,4, and 8, and see how it sounds.

Well, okay, definite change. Maybe rubber band soft 30a would soften the landings.  I'd like to try.

I just proposed neoprene because it's cheap and soft.

PS: education time!  http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shore_durometer
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 March 2012, 19:27:44 by captain »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #176 on: Wed, 21 March 2012, 00:49:26 »
Quote from: captain;551840
I got 70a 008 silicone o-rings in red, 100 pack from amazon for about $10.

I don't have a decent recording studio set up at the moment, so audio won't be very good.  I may do a sample anyway.

I didn't o-ring the number row, and I clearly hear a difference. I'll o-ring 2,4, and 8, and see how it sounds.

Well, okay, definite change. Maybe rubber band soft 30a would soften the landings.  I'd like to try.

I just proposed neoprene because it's cheap and soft.

PS: education time!  http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shore_durometer

$10 ??? you may as well just pay the $17 for the true/tested 40A wasd rings.

Offline captain

« Reply #177 on: Wed, 21 March 2012, 11:18:22 »
$17, plus $3 for the softer ones, plus $? Shipping = close to three times the cost.

Offline sordna

« Reply #178 on: Wed, 21 March 2012, 18:14:48 »
Quote from: captain;552504
$17, plus $3 for the softer ones, plus $? Shipping = close to three times the cost.

No, they are $17 + shipping. The 50As are $14, the 40As are $17 as the previous poster correctly stated. Shiping is $1.95, so the total is $19.95
which is under double the price, not triple the price for the softer 40A rings. IMO, for a product that will easily last you you 5-10 years, paying $20 instead of $10 for a much better and properly soft o-rings is a no-brainer.

Offline captain

« Reply #179 on: Thu, 22 March 2012, 00:57:16 »
Ah. Ok. Mea culpa; I added $3 twice.

It's asinine of wads to not just give the correct price.  I heard shipping was much more, but didn't verify. If it were such an incredible deal,do you think this thread would be here?  ;-)

Offline sordna

« Reply #180 on: Thu, 22 March 2012, 01:23:50 »
Agreed, it's not a great deal, but definitely worth it, especially for folks that don't want to spend the time evaluating the myriad size/material/durometer options out there.
I've bought o-rings lots of times, but most of the time I buy from WASD because I know exactly what to expect and get the shipment within a couple of days of my order. It's a great service WASD provides to the community with their options, accessories and parts, that deserves be supported!

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #181 on: Thu, 22 March 2012, 01:31:17 »
can we have a mod close this thread? this guy shouldn't be allowed to take money.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline sordna

« Reply #182 on: Thu, 22 March 2012, 01:36:16 »
I doubt he has taken any money, everyone complained they didn't even get an invoice. It's not a scam, I just think it turned out to be more than he could handle, especially with health issues and all. I do think we deserve better communication though, anyway, WhiteFireDragon has passed the fire test of a successful group buy, so I would suggest to Piken to make a decision and either complete this group buy, or declare that he cannot, in which case we'll have to wait for WhiteFireDragon's next group buy.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #183 on: Thu, 22 March 2012, 01:39:11 »
if you can't answer a single question about your product, or send out invoices, you almost certainly can't deliver product. imo for the greater good, people who can't prove pretty definitively that they can deliver product shouldn't be allowed to start or run gbs.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline sordna

« Reply #184 on: Thu, 22 March 2012, 02:00:12 »
I see your point, but on the other hand we have examples like WhiteFireDragon (assorted o-rings) and aggiejy (RGB doubleshots) who ran amazing group buys, and it was their first for both of them. It would be hard for them to prove beforehand that they could do it! Dunno what the answer is, that's a question for the GH moderators.

Offline captain

« Reply #185 on: Thu, 22 March 2012, 02:10:54 »
So, y'all aren't interested in 20-30a neoprene?

Offline sordna

« Reply #186 on: Thu, 22 March 2012, 02:20:14 »
I would be interested in neoprene o-rings, how about you give your source to WhiteFireDragon who is already planning to do an o-ring group buy this spring? He delivers !

I'd like Piken to let us know his o-rings source too, since they seem to have excellent pricing.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #187 on: Thu, 22 March 2012, 02:25:30 »
Quote from: sordna;553281
I see your point, but on the other hand we have examples like WhiteFireDragon (assorted o-rings) and aggiejy (RGB doubleshots) who ran amazing group buys, and it was their first for both of them. It would be hard for them to prove beforehand that they could do it! Dunno what the answer is, that's a question for the GH moderators.
they were responsive and could probably give some kind of proof of identity if asked. this guy's pretty much been MIA since the thread started. we can only be glad he didn't send out invoices first...

that said, he may have a perfectly reasonable excuse, but it behooves him to close the thread and buy asap if that's the case.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #188 on: Thu, 22 March 2012, 12:51:59 »
Not that I am making excuses, since I don't know this guy or his situation.  But if I had a serious health issue and was in the hospital, some o-ring group buy with a bunch of strangers on the Internet would be the furthest thing from my mind.  Just sayin'.
Russ

Offline f4d3

« Reply #189 on: Sun, 25 March 2012, 11:33:51 »
So I assume this group buy is dead? Time to buy some o-rings from mcmasters.

Offline captain

« Reply #190 on: Sun, 25 March 2012, 12:28:26 »
After playing around with the set I got, I'm no longer interested in orings - the loss of 1mm is very noticable, although I might like to try an insanely soft set (20-30a), just for thorough experimentation.

I just did some web searching and called Ben at http://www.aceseal.com/contact_us.html
Feel free to take up where I left off. He never called back, so maybe find a more reliable company. They are a dime a dozen.

Offline KylJoy

« Reply #191 on: Mon, 26 March 2012, 19:55:38 »
I'm out.  I ordered from McMasters.

Offline OPTiK

« Reply #192 on: Tue, 27 March 2012, 22:50:48 »
Quote from: captain;556312
After playing around with the set I got, I'm no longer interested in orings - the loss of 1mm is very noticable, although I might like to try an insanely soft set (20-30a), just for thorough experimentation.

It really depends on your keyboard setup. On my Noppoo with the original caps I was in love with the o-rings (without a palm rest), then when I switched to blank black pbts I started to hate them since I could totally notice the difference in travel distance.. Now I have a palm rest so I actually started liking them again since the angle in which I type is different.