Author Topic: ties  (Read 2878 times)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
ties
« on: Sat, 25 February 2023, 03:25:38 »
Time for me to start a tp4 thread for once!

Ties, the suit kind. Why do people even wear them? As if suits themselves aren't uncomfortable enough. Besides, I don't think it even looks good, or formal, or authoritative, or reassuring - if anything I associate it with untrustworthy people. It's just a small noose that covers up buttons. Probably doesn't help that I work in academia, but still. What do you guys think?
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: ties
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 25 February 2023, 03:45:50 »
Ties are one of the only things a man has to express his individualism when dressed in a suit.
Why do people own multiple pairs of sneakers? Same thing.
A really eye catching and unique tie can really bring a look together.

A scream of color into the void of abandoned individualism. Perhaps a fleeting attempt to hold onto that one shred of your soul that is left as you don your penguin suit to march single file under grey skies back to the meat grinder for just one more paycheck. Perhaps tomorrow will be the day it doubles as a noose, and everyone can say with utmost affirmation, "That guy sure loved Garfield"

Offline iri

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 25 February 2023, 05:23:44 »
A suit isn't uncomfortable if it's made for you by a half decent taylor.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 25 February 2023, 05:53:46 »
I can't even button the top button on my shirts without feeling like I'm suffocating.  Wearing a tie is torture.

I wish there were more options available for formal menswear. A shirt with a mandarin collar, with hidden buttons or decorative buttons can look great, but you would have to look to find them. ("Mandarin collars" are not necessarily ethnic Asian, there are lots of examples of similar collars everywhere)
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 February 2023, 05:56:20 by Findecanor »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 25 February 2023, 07:48:28 »

A scream of color into the void of abandoned individualism.

For several years I wore a tie to work and it made me feel good, a signal of confidence and self-respect to co-workers and clients telling them that "here was a guy who respects you enough to make himself look good for his interaction with you today" - I wasn't doing it for myself.

At this point, I doubt that I have had a tie around my neck in at least 3 years, which, for one thing, means that I did not lose anybody in the pandemic close enough to me that I would have attended their funeral ....

- but that, of course, would have been my plain black tie
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 25 February 2023, 08:36:42 »
It's a dysfunction atop a dysfunction.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 25 February 2023, 09:14:19 »
It's for cleaning your mouth after microwave spaghetti in the depressing thing they call a break room.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 25 February 2023, 09:25:19 »
It's for cleaning your mouth after microwave spaghetti in the depressing thing they call a break room.

kekeke, life is difficult because society's feedback mechanism has been thoroughly distorted and the vast majority of labor is now directed towards hedonistic vanity.

we feel safe living in this temporary disconnect from survival/hardship with only a small 2 week buffer between today and the end of the world.

happiness is the reward for correct action, but when it is manufactured and we live for it, the excess of which mutates into a vain ecological debt that balloons and is to be paid in a single call.

negotiation is illusory.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 25 February 2023, 16:56:14 »
Ties are one of the only things a man has to express his individualism when dressed in a suit.
Why do people own multiple pairs of sneakers? Same thing.

A scream of color into the void of abandoned individualism. Perhaps a fleeting attempt to hold onto that one shred of your soul that is left as you don your penguin suit to march single file under grey skies back to the meat grinder for just one more paycheck. Perhaps tomorrow will be the day it doubles as a noose, and everyone can say with utmost affirmation, "That guy sure loved Garfield"
Show Image

Hmm, interesting, never thought of it like that. But can't the suit and shirt do the same thing?

A suit isn't uncomfortable if it's made for you by a half decent taylor.
I don't like clothes that fit, I find them too restrictive, plus it's always way too hot, I overheat very quickly. I think even a good tailor wouldn't be able to fix those.

For these reasons, my formalwear of choice is a white shirt and waistcoat with no tie, top buttons open. Doesn't restrict movement that much and isn't as hot.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 25 February 2023, 18:42:25 »

I don't like clothes that fit

Same here. When I was young I wore tight clothes, but after I studied martial arts I completely switched to loose clothing.

Based on "style" someone who was "into clothes" would probably say that almost everything I wear is one size too large.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 26 February 2023, 03:50:21 »

Same here. When I was young I wore tight clothes, but after I studied martial arts I completely switched to loose clothing.

Based on "style" someone who was "into clothes" would probably say that almost everything I wear is one size too large.

If I were braver I'd walk around in a catsuit every day. Just one skintight flexible garment that covers neck to feet like Spider-Man.
Women get way more fun clothing options.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 26 February 2023, 05:37:54 »

If I were braver I'd walk around in a catsuit every day. Just one skintight flexible garment that covers neck to feet like Spider-Man.
What is it about the tightness of the clothes that you like? The feel, the look, or both?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 26 February 2023, 06:34:26 »

What is it about the tightness of the clothes that you like? The feel, the look, or both?

Feels good, and I can move like a sprung tiger. I always tear my jeans, even baggy ones. In tights I'm a goddamn superhero who can handspring across a room with the confidence of 1000 suns.

Plus I've been fat most of my life, now that I have a good body it helps to show that off instead of hiding myself. Just makes me feel sexy. I reckon the same reason women wear them. They are onto something.

« Last Edit: Sun, 26 February 2023, 06:37:35 by noisyturtle »

Offline iri

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 26 February 2023, 06:36:08 »
I don't like clothes that fit, I find them too restrictive, plus it's always way too hot, I overheat very quickly. I think even a good tailor wouldn't be able to fix those.
The former no, the latter yes, with seersucker cloth.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 26 February 2023, 19:31:23 »
Ties came from Croatia - in 17th century, Croatian army, specifically cavalry officers - wore a colourful shawls. French king, Louis XIV had in his army a regiment of Croatian mercenaries. He noticed they were wearing those color shawls and he liked it, called them Royal Cravattes, that is where actual proper name came from - cravate, or cravat. He started wearing one, then this fashion started to be popular in Britain and then in whole Europe.
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 February 2023, 19:35:39 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 08 March 2023, 19:45:10 »
I look good in a tie, better tied up with one. Keep the ties, they're better than nothing.
It's just a small noose that covers up buttons.

Nah if it was a small noose it'd look like this
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 09 March 2023, 02:54:45 »
I look good in a tie, better tied up with one. Keep the ties, they're better than nothing.
It's just a small noose that covers up buttons.

Nah if it was a small noose it'd look like this
Show Image

It's a tied cord you wear around your neck, I don't see the difference :p .