Author Topic: Found a IBM Thinkpad X41 on craigslist.  (Read 1607 times)

Offline boxjon

Found a IBM Thinkpad X41 on craigslist.
« on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 18:12:27 »
The guy has it posted up for 50 bucks. Comes with docking station and everything works. Should I get it?  :-\
Corsair K60 | Corsair M90

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
Re: Found a IBM Thinkpad X41 on craigslist.
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 18:23:15 »
Seems like a decent deal..
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 13:09:20 »
wtf? pentium M? what would you do with this, it wouldn't even make a good browsing comp, given the old screen and slowpoke processor.

Offline nullstring

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 13:57:55 »
wtf? pentium M? what would you do with this, it wouldn't even make a good browsing comp, given the old screen and slowpoke processor.
Although the 4:3 screen in unfortunate, this is faster than most netbooks and will be fine for typical use.

Penitum M's are far faster than atom's clock for clock.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 14:05:42 »
that's a good deal. things to watch out for on those:
-screen is crap. total ****ing crap. it's so bad you're going to come up with excuses NOT to use it. but it works and displays pixels so if you aren't picky should be fine
-RAM ceiling is 1.5 GB
-HD is a super weird size, 1.8 but... horizontal. as in not like the old iPod hard drives. and they are slow. you can get SSDs in that formfactor on eBay but I haven't tried it. There's also an addtronics CF to IDE card that will fit (but only one out there, thinkwiki has the model).

Honestly the x40 IS pretty dated but they are really fun machines and they're well-supported under linux. I recently picked up an x61s to replace my x40 which has a dying screen and the difference is astounding. Same formfactor but it's actually a relatively 'modern' computer with a C2D. They run for about 200 so if you just want a super cheap basics-only machine the x40 will do you fine :)
i would recommend picking up a flush-mount battery so it doesnt have the 'growth' sticking out -- amazon has them for 30 bucks or so. you can also get neoprene black and red sleeves on ebay for about 10 bucks.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace