Author Topic: This year may be biblical  (Read 51713 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
This year may be biblical
« on: Mon, 10 April 2023, 18:37:09 »

El Niño (This year) could -- for the first time -- push the world past 1.5 degrees Celsius of warming above the pre-industrial levels of the mid-to-late 1800s.

Compared to pre-industrial temperatures. Scientists consider 1.5 degrees of warming as a key tipping point, beyond which the chances of extreme flooding, drought, wildfires and food shortages could increase dramatically.

A strong El Niño could push the planet to that point, Scaife said, even if only temporarily.

"We will probably have, in 2024, the warmest year globally on record," Josef Ludescher a senior scientist at Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research

Australia due to their latitude breached 1.52 Celcius in 2019, climate change will affect them more quickly before the Americas. This breakthrough there brought upon "Black Summer." where an area of ~250,000 km^2 burned, the size of wyoming.  this was also the spark of their major climate upheaval, student protests.

for reference size 298182-0

For the past 3 years, despite record setting temperatures each year, we had the luck of La-Nina 3x in the row, a cooling (weather) event in the ocean,  THIS YEAR, it's going to be El-Nino, a potentially apocalyptic warming event.

Tp4 highly recommends "Burning (2021)" Documentary

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
Re: This year may be biblical
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 10 April 2023, 20:20:24 »
Aren't you a ray of sunshine :\
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 12 April 2023, 08:17:51 »
The one thing that has tended to be true about forecasts of future global warming is that they usually dramatically underestimate what actually happens.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 12 April 2023, 09:16:12 »
Gotta stay positive in the face of certain doom, so here's my silver lining: At the rate this is going the billionaires won't have enough time to escape into space by the time the world ends.
I'm not actually gonna start prepping for the end of the world, but I will say that I'm gonna start valuing each day a bit more than I used to.
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 12 April 2023, 09:20:21 »
people fail to grasp "Exponential" , disasters will become "Exponentially WORSE"

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 12 April 2023, 09:34:07 »
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-023-37649-9

TL;DR - sea level around New Orleans has risen 8 inches = 20 centimeters since the time of Hurricane Katrina
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 12 April 2023, 10:08:02 »
their replacement levee system isn't even up to the spec of the original which busted wide open, it's only enough to minimally qualify for insurance.

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 12 April 2023, 10:53:45 »
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-023-37649-9

TL;DR - sea level around New Orleans has risen 8 inches = 20 centimeters since the time of Hurricane Katrina

If I lose Massachusetts to global warming I will dedicate the rest of my life to destroying everything that took my home from me

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 12 April 2023, 12:11:03 »

If I lose Massachusetts to global warming

Massachusetts gets up to a thousand thousand meters high in the west, you will probably only lose the first meter or 2 during your lifetime.
Revenge is a fool's errand, the past has passed. Expend your energies and rescue the future from the Republicans.

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 12 April 2023, 13:57:52 »

If I lose Massachusetts to global warming

Massachusetts gets up to a thousand thousand meters high in the west, you will probably only lose the first meter or 2 during your lifetime.
Revenge is a fool's errand, the past has passed. Expend your energies and rescue the future from the Republicans.
You're assuming death will stop me.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 13 April 2023, 10:07:19 »
Ft Lauderdale, Florida (a little North of Miami) got almost  2  FEET  (2/3 of a meter) of rain in just seven (7) hours yesterday.

Their previous record was about a foot and a half (half a meter) of rain in 3 days ....

https://www.thenextmiami.com/the-2022-list-of-every-supertall-tower-currently-being-planned-in-miami/

« Last Edit: Fri, 14 April 2023, 08:10:57 by fohat.digs »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 13 April 2023, 11:06:17 »
Just another great year for records  :thumb: 

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 14 April 2023, 04:07:12 »
I'm gonna drown if this keeps up D; .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 26 April 2023, 20:32:04 »
This might be it gekhfam..  we' in it now !!

Scientists scratching their heads.  Is this the tipping point ? Have we maxed out the ocean's absorption potential.

Ocean Temperature

298656-0

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 01 May 2023, 08:17:55 »
We may also find out how utterly dependant on satellites and GPS we have become when solar flares fry the electronics in them.
https://www.businessinsider.com/sun-more-active-solar-storms-auroras-power-outages-grounded-flights-2023-2

If you haven't read about the Carrington Event  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrington_Event  you should.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 May 2023, 21:23:30 by fohat.digs »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 14 May 2023, 01:53:52 »
They've resorted to Prayer in Spain for RAIN.

Olive groves parched due to only receiving 1/5th of the average amount of rainfall.

Yields decimated, 55% lower than previous year,  commodity food oil prices at highest levels.

Offline yiuoterw

• i love wasting money
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 14 May 2023, 01:58:23 »
Hey, look at the silver lining.
If climate change is getting worse, at this rate we won't have to worry about Florida for much longer!
new owlabs board when?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 14 May 2023, 02:21:55 »
Hey, look at the silver lining.
If climate change is getting worse, at this rate we won't have to worry about Florida for much longer!

I get your funny yiuoterw, damn that florida.

But I must caution fellow humans,  it's going to take the net efforts of EVERY person's climate responsible actions to turn this disaster around.  All hands on deck.

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 14 May 2023, 02:53:45 »
I want to stay hopeful about this, but I'm not very optimistic about this, not only does it seem we have to change a lot of the aspects of living (we as a society may not want to do some of that) but we also need to convince corporations to stop damaging the planet, but of course that would mean losing some profit, but they don't want to do that sadly.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 14 May 2023, 07:01:33 »

we won't have to worry about Florida for much longer!

Well, Orlando is 20-40 meters above sea level, so it will take a while before the water gets that high.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 14 May 2023, 08:32:13 »
I want to stay hopeful about this, but I'm not very optimistic about this, not only does it seem we have to change a lot of the aspects of living (we as a society may not want to do some of that) but we also need to convince corporations to stop damaging the planet, but of course that would mean losing some profit, but they don't want to do that sadly.

It's both  top down and bottom up.

Animal agriculture is the biggest single polluter accounting for up to 87% of net green house emission, the key difference in statistics is that the typical number you hear between 15 and 30% does NOT account for the opportunity cost of LAND USE which would otherwise be forest instead of corn,soy.

SOURCE: Salesh Rao,   https://climatehealers.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/JES-Rao.pdf

Animal agriculture in growing feed-crop is responsible for 90% of amazon deforestation.

From the top down, the producers have to switch to alternative protein product other than animals.

From the bottom up, we as consumers have to stop buying destructive livestock. That's our vote.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 14 May 2023, 08:36:19 »

Well, Orlando is 20-40 meters above sea level, so it will take a while before the water gets that high.

It doesn't take that much, + the tide, another meter will decimate florida. They already have uncontrollable flooding in many urban areas.

The damage will be exponential and cascade,  the insurance companies are already pulling out, much like new orleans. The new orleans's new levy is lower spec than the previous levy which failed. It was only built to minimally qualify for insurance.

Rel-estate is a bubble economy because it has a floating value, in every case Yale/Harvard studies have shown that it's grossly overvalued by several trillion, as to not account for climate risk of properties in danger of unsustainable water, burning forests, severe catastrophic storms.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 17 May 2023, 06:46:10 »
Alberta canada righ nao.. various provinces of canada experiencing 10-15 degrees above normal seasonal temperatures.

This color has rgb value, 220, 190, 138, css, Burly Wood.

Zoom in, ENJOY the Burly wood !!

299091-0

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 17 May 2023, 09:28:04 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 17 May 2023, 09:38:28 »
Florida is a stronghold of mob and cartel money. They're not exactly forward looking.

Their primary ideology is apathy. Our own government that's in bed with these people are identical, so everyone is to blame.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 17 May 2023, 12:16:06 »

Meanwhile at 1 m above sea level....  :')

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 17 May 2023, 12:20:27 »

at 1 m above sea level

Do you rent or own?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 17 May 2023, 14:42:19 »

at 1 m above sea level

Do you rent or own?
Rent, no way I can buy a house.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 17 May 2023, 16:01:16 »

Rent, no way I can buy

I was being snarky, I have a friend with a house at the beach, actually on a small island, that will go under early.

You Dutch have always been very clever, but I suppose that this new task might be looking insurmountable.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 18 May 2023, 11:50:44 »
Sky Color, rgb 255, 219, 163, css, Navajo White.

Sun Color, rgb 244, 154, 164, css, Dark Salmon

299139-0

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 19 May 2023, 09:15:00 »
Northern Italy, Emilia Romagna region

20,000 now homeless, 13 dead.

299153-0

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 19 May 2023, 18:09:30 »
Shabelle River, Beledweyne, Somalia, burst banks, 250,000 people have fled homes.

Peoples who contributed the least to climate change will pay the most devastating price.

299158-0

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 20 May 2023, 02:47:44 »
Northern Italy, Emilia Romagna region

20,000 now homeless, 13 dead.

(Attachment Link)

Shabelle River, Beledweyne, Somalia, burst banks, 250,000 people have fled homes.

Peoples who contributed the least to climate change will pay the most devastating price.

(Attachment Link)

This is actually so tragic, I hope these people will be ok
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 23 May 2023, 11:57:41 »
This economic system is stupid. They've reached deals in the Western States to cut water use to "SAVE" the Colorado river/lake system.

That deal involves PAYING ~1 BILLION dollars to the various industries to "conserve" water through the inflation reduction act.

The Tax payers are paying them to NOT do something?

It's like being paid not to do work.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 05 June 2023, 05:29:23 »
God damn it, the bad news doesn't end,

Upper atmosphere Rapidly Cooling at the result of Lower atmosphere Warming has knock on effects from irreparable Arctic Ozone hole to Satellite collision.

Big article, difficult to summarize.

https://www.wired.com/story/the-upper-atmosphere-is-cooling-prompting-new-climate-concerns/

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 05 June 2023, 08:54:15 »
! ! !

one excerpt:

One of the most turbulent of these phenomena is known as sudden stratospheric warming. Westerly winds in the stratosphere periodically reverse, resulting in big temperatures swings, during which parts of the stratosphere can warm by as much as 90 degrees F (50 degrees C) in a couple of days.

This is typically accompanied by a rapid sinking of air that pushes onto the Atlantic jet stream at the top of the troposphere. The jet stream, which drives weather systems widely across the Northern Hemisphere, begins to snake. This disturbance can cause a variety of extreme weather, from persistent intense rains to summer droughts and “blocking highs” that can cause weeks of intense cold winter weather from eastern North America to Europe and parts of Asia.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 07 June 2023, 10:20:50 »
150 wildfires in Quebec Canada right now, 110 deemed out of control by forestry service.

Haze covers large swaths of east coast USA. Smoggy Smoke smell fills the air,  Purple Air quality index, NYC enveloped, RED SUN.

Offline Aquarius

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 09 June 2023, 04:20:55 »
it's hot today

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 11 June 2023, 09:03:33 »
Who knew?

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 11 June 2023, 10:19:27 »
Who knew?

People have known this was an issue for ages, but they don't care because they are making a lot of money. corporations will only do something if it affects them.

This video sums it up perfectly (and it's really funny too)

fjell | hhkb bt

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 13 June 2023, 04:00:13 »
It's God's punishment for ignorning the teachings of Jesus Christ and hating the LGBTQ+ community.

(Hey, if the right gets to claim every natural disaster as an indictment against the left, why not the opposite)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 13 June 2023, 10:31:25 »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dates_predicted_for_apocalyptic_events

That’s great. In 200 years they will be able to add all of the current green-zealots to the list of apocalyptic doomsayers. How silly things look in hindsight.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 15 June 2023, 10:15:05 »
Up to 500 refugees died off a sunk migrant boat headed form libya to greece, including 100+ children.

The boat was overloaded with 750 passengers. ~100 rescued, ~78 dead, the rest missing at sea (probably dead).

So it seems, even for water route, future climate refugees can expect pretty poor odds of survival.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 16 June 2023, 06:50:51 »
Let's GOOOOOOO !!

temperature update.

299876-0

Offline nitrosonic

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 27 June 2023, 06:40:57 »
The world could breach 1.5 degrees of warming for the first time. El Niño (This year) could -- for the first time -- push the world past 1.5 degrees Celsius of warming above the pre-industrial levels of the mid-to-late 1800s. Compared to pre-industrial temperatures. Scientists consider 1.5 degrees of warming as a key tipping point, beyond which the chances of extreme flooding, drought, wildfires, and food shortages could increase dramatically. Regarding the fact that this year can be biblical, I think that this is pure manipulation. Religion has always been used as a tool for crowd control, I read about it here https://writingbros.com/essay-examples/manipulation-of-religion-in-handmaids-tale/  when looking for materials for my college studies. I think that everything will be the same as in 2012, that is, no way. A strong El Niño could push the planet to that point, Scaife said, even if only temporarily. "We will probably have, in 2024, the warmest year globally on record," Josef Ludescher a senior scientist at Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research.

Let's live until the end of 2023 first...  :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 June 2023, 05:50:56 by nitrosonic »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 27 June 2023, 17:18:12 »
Texas Heat Dome, Several days of 100F heat already, which typically does not occur until AUGUST, it's not even July.

What Texas really needs to prepare for is Super Flood Risk.  What moisture goes up, must come Down.