Author Topic: This year may be biblical  (Read 51736 times)

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
Re: This year may be biblical
« Reply #150 on: Wed, 06 September 2023, 23:33:23 »
The Indigenous Indians of America which we genocided to become the United States also have Brush burns.  They understood it with more mysticism, but the effect is the same as this Australian Cultural Burn.

Oh that's pretty interesting. It's sad how we take care of our planet less now than we were doing for thousands of years before. And the people who knew the most about their environment were killed and oppressed by people who had no regard for the land that these people inhabited.

I remember environmentalists were telling the sydney government to just back burn so potential fires don't spread out of control and the they were like piss off in 2018-2019. Look where that got us...
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #151 on: Thu, 07 September 2023, 08:54:27 »
We are so accustomed to houses and roads that we forget a world that is mostly wooded. I imagine that a significant part of it was just to clear out obstructions.

Would you enjoy walking around near-naked through an ocean of sticker bushes? And even at that, today we have good sharp steel machetes.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #152 on: Fri, 13 October 2023, 11:15:07 »
Here we are.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #153 on: Tue, 17 October 2023, 18:06:58 »
Barber shop chat today.  We're sleepwalking into oblivion, the average human is so clueless, it hurts.

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #154 on: Wed, 18 October 2023, 07:43:27 »
Barber shop chat today.  We're sleepwalking into oblivion, the average human is so clueless, it hurts.

Show Image

tp4 should run for political offices
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #155 on: Wed, 18 October 2023, 08:24:52 »

run for political office

Al Gore, my Senator from Tennessee at the time, wrote a bestseller, https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/104286.Earth_in_the_Balance , over 30 years ago - and look where it got him.

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #156 on: Wed, 18 October 2023, 08:27:04 »
tru **** is rigged.
whoever benefits the rich most is who gets elected usually... how convenient
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #157 on: Wed, 18 October 2023, 08:35:25 »

benefits the rich most is who gets elected usually

They can only influence people who believe what they hear on TV.

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #158 on: Wed, 18 October 2023, 17:38:30 »
tru **** is rigged.

In the case of al gore it was the most blatant rigging of an election, like they cause a riot in order to stop votes being counted, which would've favoured gore and made him win.

Also funny how just 20 years ago, florida was a swing state leaning towards democrat.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #159 on: Fri, 05 January 2024, 16:41:42 »
What is wrong with this picture?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #160 on: Fri, 05 January 2024, 17:26:35 »
The straw that breaks the camel's back.

We're in the snap now.

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #161 on: Tue, 09 January 2024, 06:43:34 »
What is wrong with this picture?

idk this looks like a scientific drawing of a tide pod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #162 on: Sun, 21 January 2024, 12:45:30 »
Climate change linked to spread of diarrhoeal illness: temperature, day length and humidity have been found to be linked to the increased spread of a diarrhoeal illness

Sigh..... here we go.

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #163 on: Mon, 22 January 2024, 06:42:56 »
Climate change linked to spread of diarrhoeal illness: temperature, day length and humidity have been found to be linked to the increased spread of a diarrhoeal illness

Sigh..... here we go.

Seasonal diarrhea

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #164 on: Mon, 12 February 2024, 07:28:07 »
ah do u guys think we'll be able to like, live a full normal life or will the world go to **** before then

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #165 on: Mon, 12 February 2024, 07:48:38 »
It won't be like it is now. If you think back to 1930s worth of conveniences and resources, it'll be something like that for a while if we SURVIVE at all.

At worst, we'll be back to the stone age within a few months.  All our reactors would've melted down because they only have a week or 2 of diesel backup for the cooling pools and pumps.  It's the equivalent of up to 10,000x chernobyls worth of radiation going up into the atmosphere in a very short time.   The northern hemisphere will lose most large animals.

It would've been nice to do the whole, sunny camping movies, without zombies, and the happy looking tribes, but that is 100% certain not possible when we've already poisoned our world with nuclear.

I suspect, LIFE will survive and can reset in a few million years, but it's unlikely that humanity would survive.

There are calculations that say most children born today are unlikely to live to adulthood when climate change hits the fan.

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #166 on: Mon, 12 February 2024, 08:30:22 »
It won't be like it is now. If you think back to 1930s worth of conveniences and resources, it'll be something like that for a while if we SURVIVE at all.

At worst, we'll be back to the stone age within a few months.  All our reactors would've melted down because they only have a week or 2 of diesel backup for the cooling pools and pumps.  It's the equivalent of up to 10,000x chernobyls worth of radiation going up into the atmosphere in a very short time.   The northern hemisphere will lose most large animals.

It would've been nice to do the whole, sunny camping movies, without zombies, and the happy looking tribes, but that is 100% certain not possible when we've already poisoned our world with nuclear.

I suspect, LIFE will survive and can reset in a few million years, but it's unlikely that humanity would survive.

There are calculations that say most children born today are unlikely to live to adulthood when climate change hits the fan.

without zombies??? are u implying we're gonna have zombies? lol

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #167 on: Mon, 12 February 2024, 09:12:33 »

It won't be like it is now.

A large portion of the world's population lives near the ocean, and you should expect the sea level to rise a couple of meters in your lifetime.

Global warming will dramatically alter agriculture and where and when food resources can be grown and harvested. Seafood, especially large pelagic fishes, will become precious.

Populations of plants and animals will collapse and diversity will shrink considerably. Hopefully, a significant amount of wild nature can be preserved in pockets around the world ....

Wild temperature swings will be common as atmospheric and ocean currents that have reliably conveyed heat around the globe for eons falter and become unpredictable.

And don't forget that the sun occasionally erupts in gigantic flares of radiation, and that we have not seen once since the dawn of the "electric age" a century ago.

These were "standard" predictions for dystopian writing in the past, and assumed to be possibilities for the distant future. But that future is rapidly (abruptly?) appearing before our eyes, and yet huge swaths of the population remain in denial. I may or may not live to see Miami under water, but, like you, my children will see enormous change.

It will not be possible to escape the problems altogether, but you should carefully consider where to live your life, and ensure that it is a region that is less prone to the "great" catastrophes such as floods, fires, hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes (and why aren't we seeing more of these yet? Global Warming must be causing the crust of the Earth to expand, and I would have guessed that there would be more cracks .... ) I am tired of making myself sick so I will stop typing this list.

The human race has been a colossal  FAIL  in its responsibility for the stewardship of the planet.

I have maintained my sanity throughout my life by keeping an attitude of optimism and avoiding cynicism as much as possible, but it has been getting stretched thin in recent years. There are generally 2 schools of thought: (1) everything is going to hell so I have to grab as much as I can while I still have the chance, and (2) we are all in this together and only by cooperation can the problems of the world be ameliorated. I have always been in group 2. I believe that we can only "feel good about ourselves" under this principle and it is the only way to live a good life, in my opinion. People in group 1 will always feel empty inside.

But you have to play the cards that you are dealt.

ps - never dwell on the past or fret over what could have been, even though humans have been fantasizing over "time machines" for centuries - don't waste your time!

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #168 on: Mon, 12 February 2024, 09:16:11 »

It won't be like it is now.

A large portion of the world's population lives near the ocean, and you should expect the sea level to rise a couple of meters in your lifetime.

Global warming will dramatically alter agriculture and where and when food resources can be grown and harvested. Seafood, especially large pelagic fishes, will become precious.

Populations of plants and animals will collapse and diversity will shrink considerably. Hopefully, a significant amount of wild nature can be preserved in pockets around the world ....

Wild temperature swings will be common as atmospheric and ocean currents that have reliably conveyed heat around the globe for eons falter and become unpredictable.

And don't forget that the sun occasionally erupts in gigantic flares of radiation, and that we have not seen once since the dawn of the "electric age" a century ago.

These were "standard" predictions for dystopian writing in the past, and assumed to be possibilities for the distant future. But that future is rapidly (abruptly?) appearing before our eyes, and yet huge swaths of the population remain in denial. I may or may not live to see Miami under water, but, like you, my children will see enormous change.

It will not be possible to escape the problems altogether, but you should carefully consider where to live your life, and ensure that it is a region that is less prone to the "great" catastrophes such as floods, fires, hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes (and why aren't we seeing more of these yet? Global Warming must be causing the crust of the Earth to expand, and I would have guessed that there would be more cracks .... ) I am tired of making myself sick so I will stop typing this list.

The human race has been a colossal  FAIL  in its responsibility for the stewardship of the planet.

I have maintained my sanity throughout my life by keeping an attitude of optimism and avoiding cynicism as much as possible, but it has been getting stretched thin in recent years. There are generally 2 schools of thought: (1) everything is going to hell so I have to grab as much as I can while I still have the chance, and (2) we are all in this together and only by cooperation can the problems of the world be ameliorated. I have always been in group 2. I believe that we can only "feel good about ourselves" under this principle and it is the only way to live a good life, in my opinion. People in group 1 will always feel empty inside.

ps - never dwell on the past or fret over what could have been, even though humans have been fantasizing over "time machines" for centuries - don't waste your time!

i feel lucky that my area has been called a "climate haven". i hate my boring city but I've never been in a natural disaster or anything so that's cool

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #169 on: Mon, 12 February 2024, 15:16:11 »

yeah I agree with you about collective action is the only solution to fix everything, the only problem currently is that boomers as whole are the most entitled and complacent generation alive that still has power in a lot of countries, and that results in barely any to 0 progress, we do need younger people in power who actually care about the future of the planet, but boomers are so selfish they won't wanna give up that power, which is why they haven't done age limits/term limits in the us at least.

fjell | hhkb bt

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #170 on: Mon, 12 February 2024, 16:42:06 »

boomers as whole are the most entitled and complacent generation alive that still has power in a lot of countries

we do need younger people in power who actually care about the future of the planet

why they haven't done age limits/term limits in the us at least.

As an archetypical Baby Boomer (born when the rulers of the world were Truman, Churchill, and Stalin) I feel compelled to protest part of this characterization.

From my perspective, the tail end of my generation and (at least) the first half of the next most closely fit your description. Those of us who came of age in "The Space Age" came up in an era of exhilaration and optimism, while (in the US at least) those immediately behind us who awakened into the post-Vietnam, post-Nixon age of miasma and cynicism. In my opinion, in general, people born between the early-1960s and the mid-late-1980s are the ones who are the most cynical and pessimistic.

Age and term limits are not a panacea in the US because of the absurd and arcane political system that our Founders saddled us with. Although our original documents are generally excellent and perhaps some of the premier examples of the "Age of Enlightenment" they are also riddled with "poison pills" and concessions to the slave states which evolved up to today, and, in particular, give small states inordinate power.

It takes tremendous experience and skill to navigate that labyrinth, and is why President Biden, in spite of his age, has been able to accomplish monumental gains in a wide variety of venues. Possibly the greatest dis-information we see in the US today is pretending that Biden has not been a masterful leader who has made great advances across the board. And never forget that his "Inflation Reduction Act" was really a HUGE climate change plan.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 February 2024, 11:24:43 by fohat.digs »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #171 on: Mon, 12 February 2024, 17:09:30 »
Feb is not even over yet, and the trees are starting to bloom and the spring creatures are coming out already.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #172 on: Mon, 12 February 2024, 17:51:08 »
ah do u guys think we'll be able to like, live a full normal life or will the world go to **** before then
It's estimated our population will peak at 10Bil and crash to 2Bil.

Are you rich?
If not you won't live a full normal life. This and old folks are a big part of the problem, the old don't want to change and the rich can just buy their way out of a lot of it (or at least they think they can, no Elon, fleeing to Mars is not going to be better).

Sh*t's about to get real.
You aren't going to shed 80% of the population in a few decades without some insanity.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #173 on: Mon, 12 February 2024, 18:09:04 »
It's estimated our population will peak at 10Bil and crash to 2Bil.

Are you rich?
If not you won't live a full normal life. This and old folks are a big part of the problem, the old don't want to change and the rich can just buy their way out of a lot of it (or at least they think they can, no Elon, fleeing to Mars is not going to be better).

Sh*t's about to get real.
You aren't going to shed 80% of the population in a few decades without some insanity.

I think once people in their 40's and 50s now realize they will never be able retire. Most younger people already have succumbed to working and struggling for the rest of their life with no retirement. Kids under 25 are so broken and depressed, and they do not have the tools to deal with small issues, so I'm constantly seeing younger people not be able to handle small situations or when one little thing goes wrong in their day, they just lose their **** like it is the end of everything. I suppose the numbness to that will come with age.

I expect suicide rates to keep increasing in the next few decades and people continuing to ignore that issue, although I am surprised drinking and drug use has gone down amongst young people.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 February 2024, 18:10:40 by noisyturtle »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #174 on: Mon, 12 February 2024, 20:48:33 »
I am surprised drinking and drug use has gone down amongst young people.
They can't afford it.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #175 on: Mon, 12 February 2024, 21:09:59 »
They can't afford it.

I see a general push towards healthy lifestyles with teen-twenty somethings. A good percentage of them regularly go to the gym or workout, a huge percentage vape but analogue smoking is rare. But they are also severely stressed out. I know multiple people in their early-mid 20s who are on blood pressure meds, and one guy had a stroke at 22.

I also apologize for my reflective tone lately. As I rapidly approach middle age I've never felt older and more separated from those I considered my peers. You never think you will be the older person at work, then you turn around and you ****in' are.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #176 on: Tue, 13 February 2024, 08:27:10 »

I also apologize for my reflective tone lately. As I rapidly approach middle age I've never felt older and more separated from those I considered my peers. You never think you will be the older person at work, then you turn around and you ****in' are.

I hear you. I will be 72 this year, my 7th Year of the Dragon. Life is not fun when you are cynical, "Don't Worry, Be Happy"

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #177 on: Tue, 13 February 2024, 17:47:56 »
A good percentage of them regularly go to the gym or workout, a huge percentage vape
Going to be useless if their lungs are trashed by 30.
Vaping is going to be as big of an issue as smoking and alcohol have been as these people age, probably way worse as people see it as less dangerous (highly doubtful), every bit as addictive and most treat it like candy (especially when it's candy flavored).

With alcohol and cigarettes you see how much you're using and can take stock of it, vape, they just consume without any direct indication of how much until it runs out of juice. It's almost like a bottomless drink or pack of cigarettes. There's no way that isn't going to lead to problems later.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #178 on: Wed, 14 February 2024, 06:43:32 »
They can't afford it.

I see a general push towards healthy lifestyles with teen-twenty somethings. A good percentage of them regularly go to the gym or workout, a huge percentage vape but analogue smoking is rare. But they are also severely stressed out. I know multiple people in their early-mid 20s who are on blood pressure meds, and one guy had a stroke at 22.

im 17 and theres been a serious bubble in kids my age (especially males) working out and pursuing a more fit lifestyle. with the popularity of memes like zyzz and "mogging" (idk if you're too old to know what that is lol) i think theree are a lot more kids my age working out. the downside is that theres also been a lot of younger people taking steroids and performance enhancers

id say a good 70-80% of my classmates are still blazed out of their minds in homeroom though.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #179 on: Wed, 14 February 2024, 09:00:25 »
I was extremely fortunate to have come up at the tail end of the "old world" where I received an excellent education in the public school system (including rigorous phys ed at least 3 days per week through high school (and the first 2 years of college)) and generally stayed healthy and fit without much extra effort (until my mid-30s). My mother prepared our meals from scratch with mostly fresh ingredients, and I strived to continue to do that with my children.

Growing up in a mid-sized city in "Middle America" and being in the "good kids" circle I graduated from high school having never seen or smelled marijuana. Nor did I drink or do anything else illicit until I got to college. We got a color TV in the mid-1960s for the family, but I did not get a TV for myself until my last year in college. Needless to say, I have been a voracious reader my entire life. Our kids were avid readers until they got their (gasp) "smart" phones at age 12.

My ex-wife and I did everything we could to bring our kids up in as similar and protected an environment as possible, and I think that we generally succeeded as much as can be accomplished in the age of the interwebs - which is to say not "not nearly as much" as we wanted.

ps - you know that you are getting old when your kids start saying "I just don't know about the kids these days .... "
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 February 2024, 13:49:08 by fohat.digs »

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #180 on: Wed, 14 February 2024, 09:10:18 »
I was extremely fortunate to have come up at the tail end of the "old world" where I received an excellent education in the public school system (including rigorous phys ed at least 3 days per week through high school (and the first 2 years of college)) and generally stayed healthy and fit without much extra effort. My mother prepared our meals from scratch with mostly fresh ingredients.

Growing up in a mid-sized city in "Middle America" and being in the "good kids" circle I graduated from high school having never seen or smelled marijuana. Nor did I drink or do anything else illicit until I got to college. We got a color TV in the mid-1960s for the family, but I did not get a TV for myself until my last year in college. Needless to say, I have been a voracious reader my entire life.

My ex-wife and I did everything we could to bring our kids up in as similar an environment as possible, and I think that we generally succeeded as much as can be accomplished in the age of the interwebs - which is to say not "not nearly as much" as we wanted.

You know that you are getting old when your kids start saying "I just don't know about the kids these days .... "

I know that every generation has been saying this since the beginning of time but I seriously do think kids these days are mostly awful lol. my school building is high school and middle school in one building so I have first-hand experience since I'm interacting with middle schoolers daily and there's just a clear cutoff where the kids are just so disrespectful and out of touch. even my teachers talk about how terrible they are. ik its not right to say this about a literal child but they just aren't good people. hopefully, they grow out of it but I don't know man

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #181 on: Wed, 14 February 2024, 09:47:19 »

kids these days are mostly awful

I did not realize it at the time, and managed to graduate out shortly before it really started to take effect, but immediately after Brown vs Board of Education there began an insidious and profoundly cynical effort to degrade the youth of America by corroding the educational system, espoused by people like James McGill Buchanan and Lewis Powell, to name 2 of the most infamous.

Another thing that has had an extremely deleterious effect is that religion, in general, rather than progressing and evolving to meet the needs of a changing world, has been backsliding into its most stupid expressions of miasma and fundamentalism. Children are fleeing organized religion in droves, for good reason, but there are few easy destinations to provide them refuge. Some of us have spent our lifetimes contemplating our spiritual place in the universe, but that is neither simple nor quickly realized. Read about the Founding Fathers and you understand that they already recognized that the religions of their day were moribund and they knew full well that the wall of separation between church and state was essential to creating a successful nation.

The one-word solution to righting the wrongs of the world is "co-operation" but that is anathema to exploiters, who thrive on chaos.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #182 on: Wed, 14 February 2024, 09:54:21 »
The one-word solution to righting the wrongs of the world is "co-operation" but that is anathema to exploiters, who thrive on chaos.

Tp4 has thought about this good guy , bad guy  situation for a long while. If bad guys were entirely deleterious, nature would not allow for their continued existence.  That is to say, Cancer must have an evolutionary purpose.

We can't say with absolute certainty that Exploitation is without purpose.  Because of intra-humanity bandwidth limit, Any realistic control system will produce waste heat.

At this point, yes, we agree, that waste heat is too excessive, and we probably will not survive the next 50 years. But, it's important not to get into the mindset that if we SIMPLY snapped our fingers, and got rid of all the, PEOPLE WE DON'T LIKE,   it would be a better world.

Idiocy has something to teach us, even if reduced to the point of how not to be idiots.

Annex -- Tp4 would like to believe that the value of Idiocy is in mental stability. It's unlikely our hardware/software brain side is designed to manage the problems modern humans face, such situations create undue stress on the system,  SOME QUANTITY, of deliberate ignorance is necessary to balance that load.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #183 on: Wed, 14 February 2024, 16:15:47 »
Selfishness and entitlement are two narratives being heavily pushed right now. The carrot of 'easy money fast' is dangled via the lens of social media, and people are no longer living together. It is more of an inconvenience that you are in their world, and everyone thinks they are the main character.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #184 on: Wed, 14 February 2024, 16:52:55 »

everyone thinks they are the main character.

aka everyone imagines that he is God

Once I began to conceptualize the Planet Earth as a single living organism, it "changed everything" for me.

Putting on blinders to focus on accumulating wealth and/or power almost certainly vacuums up much of the time and effort that could be used to enjoy life, love, art, music, literature, and anything else that actually makes you feel good.

What makes you feel good about yourself, and about life in general?

Do more of THAT. You might find that it involves enjoying life along with other people.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #185 on: Sun, 25 February 2024, 12:21:20 »
Thwaites glacier holds 65 cm of sea level rise.

This past week:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #186 on: Sun, 25 February 2024, 15:21:20 »
Thwaites glacier holds 65 cm of sea level rise.

This past week:

306314-0306316-1
306312-2

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #187 on: Mon, 26 February 2024, 14:14:51 »
Mexico City, already doing Fury Road.  Don't get addicted to water. 

Crisis point estimate 4 months. 

They are already rationing, 2 days of tap water at a time, here and there, then none.

Ontop of,  Sinking @ a rate of 20 inch a year, due to overextraction of the aquifer. They're built on wet clay. The spanish were morons.  The Aztecs they killed off knew how to build and work with the water, canals, drainage, etc.  The spanish came, drained the water, and essentially created all the flood and parch problems that Mexico City has today.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #188 on: Wed, 28 February 2024, 16:37:14 »
Here today it went from 70F/21C to 45F/7C in 8 hours.

ps - that was during daylight hours

« Last Edit: Thu, 29 February 2024, 09:49:07 by fohat.digs »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #189 on: Wed, 28 February 2024, 16:46:05 »
It only takes a few crop failures, and then, Fury Road.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #190 on: Wed, 28 February 2024, 22:30:11 »
There' gon' be mega storms this year for sure.

One should prepare for the overwhelming moist.

We have 4 months left to prepare.

306374-0

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #191 on: Thu, 29 February 2024, 06:52:19 »
Here today it went from 70F/21C to 45F/7C in 8 hours.
it was warm yesterday and then this morning there's ice and snow everywhere lol
this is normal for my area tho to be honest

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #193 on: Tue, 12 March 2024, 06:42:51 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #194 on: Tue, 12 March 2024, 10:34:07 »
If you live in the Philippines, /Move. Losses are already projected @ 3% of GDP in the Philippines.

Projections across the board for all countries may increase to 7-10% mid-century if nothing is done, as is currently the case..

Why move, why not stay and fight, because the problems aren't caused by the phillipines population, even if they did everything right, we americans will (likely) produce enough ecological strain to wipe out climate sensitive nations.

306559-0

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #195 on: Tue, 12 March 2024, 16:27:02 »
I know that many people are concerned about the state of our planet, specifically our oceans,  and many of those people are angry about what they feel is an anemic response to this so-called crisis. Not being a research scientist or climatologist, I have little to add to that discussion. I often hear anecdotes about novel crises that spawn even more stories of disaster and doom, but a quick search of the worst hurricane disasters in history suggest that we’re not hearing a balanced representation of the effects of the climate change we are now experiencing.

Living in the US, my first search was to find the deadliest hurricanes in US history. Here’s what I found
 https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/articles/deadliest-us-hurricanes
Anyone reading this data will probably be surprised that 93% of hurricane deaths (23,176) occurred during the first half of the recorded history of US hurricane deaths (1856-1940). A relatively small 2635 deaths occurred from 1940 to present. If we consider the population of the US in the first half to be roughly one third of the population in the second, the contrast is even more apparent. This doesn't seem to correspond with greenhouse gas levels which, I'm told, have been rising since the dawn of the Industrial Revolution.

A similar search of global hurricane deaths and destruction also leave the waters of analysis murky at best.
https://www.ranker.com/list/10-biggest-deadliest-most-destructive-hurricane_s-ever-/jeff419
There seems to be little that can be plotted by this data. The hurricanes intensity don’t seem to be directly related to the lost lives and damage numbers. Perhaps one short to long time solution is to be wiser about building in areas subject to potential climate change damage.

I don’t mean to take too lightly environmental changes but I think there is a more imminent danger in ignoring other factors which affect the inhabitants of this big sphere that we all call home. In California where I live, we are currently enjoying an almost perfect climate but that is rarely mentioned in climate discussions. The cyclical and predictable drought we had is gone, and rain and snow has filled our reservours to near capacity. Intelligent infrastructure improvements would allow our depleted aquifers to be replenished if we had the funds that have been committed to other needs. Unfortunately, California is leading the way as environmental crusaders and it is costing Californians dearly in its strident march for a "cause" that is having an insignificant or no positive effect in California or the rest of the world.

The gas the rest of the States are paying $3.50 for is costing us $5.00. We enjoy the privilege of giving Sacramento among the highest income and sales tax rates in the nation. As a former business owner, I know how onerous the excessive regulations and red tape are here. Anyone wondering why 78,000 tech jobs left The Golden State last year have only to look at its policies. This year the projected budget shortfall mess will cost each man, woman and child an extra $1,500 to clean up. If you’re a starving student with $75,000 in school debt, will you be able to pay your share? There is even talk of adding a tax if you move out of the state. Sounds almost like a debtors’s prison.  How can something like this happen in a State that has the best weather, great natural harbors, a great location for trade, an abundance of natural resources and almost endless fertile land?

The answer is clear: trying to do too much too quickly. Reasonable changes are good. Well meaning but poorly thought out plans will likely fail. I bring up California because it is a bellwether for the rest of the world. If California can fail, so can your state or country. Unfortunately, as California goes, so goes the rest of the US. Take a look at our national debt clock.    https://www.usdebtclock.org/    While we study changes in oceans that are measured in inches over decades, the US economy is collapsing at a rate of two million dollars a minute. Money isn't everything, unless you don't have any. Talk about an existential threat!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #196 on: Tue, 12 March 2024, 16:35:52 »
@ kurploplo,  the reason most deaths are concentrated earlier is because today we have early warning and better built structures that follow a storm code.

2023, a single flood killed 11,000-20,000 people in Libya. Biblical no? (no advanced warning, no technology for storm structure)

Cost of living is a number they can change, it looks bad, but it's just greed, all money is printed.

The 1.5C Paris target is already completely unattainable, we're looking at projections between 2.5 - 5 C,   This is HELL ON EARTH.  This is beyond greed, this is endemic stupidity.

Anyone around 30yrs old right now will likely witness the very last decade of mankind.

The economic system is an incomplete model which does not price in externalities, which include everything we arbitrarily don't want to count, pollution, biodiversity loss, forest loss, climate heating etc. It is precisely these glaring omission which presses on the imminent collapse that's already well under way.

If you want to see numbers at work, look how large insurance has pulled out of most climate sensitive states. These corporations take real accounting for those losses generated by externalities absent from the main system.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #197 on: Tue, 12 March 2024, 17:04:29 »
You make my point. It is our responsibility to adapt to changes that we cannot control. You give two good examples. Early warning systems and an inability to get insurance which will reduce the number of structures built in harms way.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #198 on: Tue, 12 March 2024, 17:11:41 »
You make my point. It is our responsibility to adapt to changes that we cannot control. You give two good examples. Early warning systems and an inability to get insurance which will reduce the number of structures built in harms way.

We can control it, but we (likely) won't. Our current economic system only considers exploitation and destruction of nature profitable.  A piece of land saved, a tree not cut, a fish not killed, has no economic value.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #199 on: Sun, 17 March 2024, 06:49:28 »
Could we please consider the ice. Seriously, we're losing it.  Estimates now up to 5 meters by end of century.

"The study—written by James Hansen, NASA’s former lead climate scientist, and 16 co-authors, many of whom are considered among the top in their fields—concludes that glaciers in Greenland and Antarctica will melt 10 times faster than previous consensus estimates, resulting in sea level rise of at least 10 feet (3m) in as little as 50 years. "

https://www.counterpunch.org/2024/03/15/greenland-cascading-30-million-tons-per-hour/

You can see here, NOAA only models up to 3 meters in this very cool graphics tool.  Don't buy any property in Florida.

https://coast.noaa.gov/slr/#/layer/slr/10/-9027583.562760174/3172853.1482205153/7/satellite/none/0.8/2050/interHigh/midAccretion

306655-0