Author Topic: Battlefield 1  (Read 8697 times)

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
Battlefield 1
« on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 03:01:29 »
Sooo, I'm actually pretty excited for Battlefield 1, I'm really excited to visit World War 1 as an era, bring it back to a simpler style of gameplay, trench combat, etc....

I'm honestly excited to get some friends roped together and hopping on together and having a good time.

What is everyones thoughts on this game so far? We don't have a huge amount of details thus far, but the reception had by the people who saw live gameplay at the london event were positive.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
Re: Battlefield 1
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 03:30:33 »
Sooo, I'm actually pretty excited for Battlefield 1, I'm really excited to visit World War 1 as an era, bring it back to a simpler style of gameplay, trench combat, etc....

I'm honestly excited to get some friends roped together and hopping on together and having a good time.

What is everyones thoughts on this game so far? We don't have a huge amount of details thus far, but the reception had by the people who saw live gameplay at the london event were positive.
I  mean so far it's looking pretty decent. However I felt the same way about BF3 and that was a little bit of a letdown for me. BF4 not a huge improvement tbh.
But WW1 - I'm there! I don't know if I've ever _REALLY_ played a proper WW1 shooter. I seem to remember most of them being WW2.
I already have several buddies who are going to buy it on release as well, as soon as the trailer hit I got a call from one buddy to keep my wallet closed so I could get BF1 when it arrived.

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 03:45:20 »

I am exited as well, finally a game set in an older setting again!
Can't wait to see what kind of surprises they have in store for us.

Offline dannrawr

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 03:54:45 »
horse vehicle customization!

WTF any Bruce, Cosmonauts

Offline Marizen

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 12:47:16 »
I can't wait. I'm so tired of modern/futuristic shooters.

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 13:36:17 »
Enjoy getting butt ****ed by dlc and micro transactions

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 22:18:53 »
I can't wait. I'm so tired of modern/futuristic shooters.
Yeah the COD's and the recent Battlefield's haven't been my jam.
Hopefully this scratches the itch!

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 01:07:56 »
I havent been excitrd for a game since final fantasy ix. Put it this way. I am ****ing excited

Offline GenKaan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Mer caps, mindre käbbel
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 07:58:45 »
EA = no buy

Simple as that, if its Ubi or EA you know you will get ****ed by DLC, broken games full of bugs, DRM that ruins the game, and lackluster content.
|| @Home:: Shine 3 TKL (Mx Red / Deep Space)  || @Work:: G2Pro (Mx Clear / Dye Sub PBT) ||
@Reserve:: HHKB (Topre 45g / Mixed PBT) // Das v3 (Mx Brown / Blank PBT)

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 11:30:46 »
EA = no buy

Simple as that, if its Ubi or EA you know you will get ****ed by DLC, broken games full of bugs, DRM that ruins the game, and lackluster content.

Yeah pretty much, same goes for activision.  It really ruins the game and they make tons of money off of retards buying cosmetics and then they up it to actual gameplay changes you can buy.  At least Valve knows to cap it at cosmetics.

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 11:46:08 »
As far as EA business model, Bf4 really didn't bother me that much, besides Priced map packs that split the community, I'd much rather if they'd cut back on the extra cost **** in the game, but they're model doesn't really affect or bother me in a HUGE way.

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 12:50:56 »
yeah I feel you, but it always feels you are forced in to buying the dlc at one point or another usually because your friends will have already bought it and aren't happy playing on default maps.

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 12:58:32 »
yeah I feel you, but it always feels you are forced in to buying the dlc at one point or another usually because your friends will have already bought it and aren't happy playing on default maps.
Yeah, I know. I feel like they are overpriced for the most part, but I feel like for the overall money, even though it's more than what I would like to spend, I get more enjoyment with friends than I spent on the whole deal.

But yeah, I wish they could just sell their battlepacks and class boost thing and just give away the map packs.

But it's one of those things that is common in the AAA shooter genre.

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 13:23:47 »
1080 Ti SLI  required
I'm going to settle for a single 1080, the system requirements should be similar to battlefronts, so a 1080 should run it quite nicely at 1440P at 60FPS+

I can't wait for the 1080 TI. :o

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 14:02:57 »
rumor on ocn says 2.5ghz overclock (aio water cooled model)..  so that means almost 50% faster than 980 ti

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 14:08:32 »
rumor on ocn says 2.5ghz overclock (aio water cooled model)..  so that means almost 50% faster than 980 ti
Damn, that's a huge overclock. 

I'll be really impressed to see how well it overclocks, I'm more interested to see how well it does with better air coolers.

I bet it'll be amazing with a custom loop...The performance.  :eek:

EDIT: "In fact, word on the rumor mill is that Gigabyte’s air-cooled Xtreme Gaming GTX 1080 should be able to hit a solid 2.4 Ghz – on air! If that isn’t impressive, I don’t know what is."
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 May 2016, 14:13:06 by Air tree »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 14:45:06 »
Damn, that's a huge overclock. 

I'll be really impressed to see how well it overclocks, I'm more interested to see how well it does with better air coolers.

I bet it'll be amazing with a custom loop...The performance.  :eek:

EDIT: "In fact, word on the rumor mill is that Gigabyte’s air-cooled Xtreme Gaming GTX 1080 should be able to hit a solid 2.4 Ghz – on air! If that isn’t impressive, I don’t know what is."

well for gfx cards,  You always want water cooled when possible..

The reason is , even if aircooled can hit max oc,  it can not stably sustain high loads at those clock speeds. the card is likely to throttle down due to nvidia's turbo system which is pegged to heat..

Offline cheekbreek

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 21 May 2016, 23:27:29 »

But WW1 - I'm there! I don't know if I've ever _REALLY_ played a proper WW1 shooter. I seem to remember most of them being WW2.

Have you ever tried Verdun? It's on steam for 28 Canadian Pesos and I've heard (although I've never played it) good things about it in terms of simulating WW1 trench warfare.

Also, I'm pretty hyped for it despite there only being one teaser. Imma wait till I see more media before I hop on the hype train.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 04:11:08 »
I played a BF1918 mod for BF1942 a while ago, and while it's obviously a 14 year old game, my concerns from the gameplay of that have come back after thinking of this mod I used to play.

Weapons: The weapons of The Great War are pretty limited to bolt action rifles, pistols, and very heavy machine guns. Some sub machine guns and the BAR were introduced towards the end of the war, but there were very limited numbers. Artillery was of course used in huge numbers, but more on that later.

Vehicles: Tanks were first introduced in 1917 at the battle of Cambrai. They were not produced in large enough numbers to have a lot of effect, and officers used to walk in front of their tanks to check the ground was suitable for them to cross, which kind of goes to show their limited capabilities and speed. The most widely used tank, the Mark IV, was armed with two 57mm guns, and could go 4mph, so they are not the Blitzkrieg Panzers we are used to seeing. Yeah, they were scary as **** because nobody knew what to do with them at first, but it's not exactly lightning warfare.

As for aircraft, bi and tri planes are really not very fast, with the Sopwith Camel achieving only 113mph top speed, and again they were only produced in limited numbers. While dogfights were quite common, bombing and intelligence gathering were aircraft's primary roles, along with artillery spotting.

Tactics: Trench. Warfare. If you know anything about WW1, you will know it was muddy, disease ridden, and downright ****ing brutal in the trenches. Long periods of waiting, getting shelled, getting gassed, getting trenchfoot, going mad, generally not nice. Then when you did get some action, you go over the top, and if you didn't get mown down by machine guns (there were 90,000 casualties on the first day of the Somme) then it was man to man, knife combat in the opposing trench. There was no SAS, no parachute regiment, no special forces in The Great War, so you are looking at pretty much trench to trench warfare over and over again.

TL;DR - While it's a good change from the norm, I really don't think it will make for fantastic gameplay if they want to make it historically accurate. If they don't, well, then they might as well have made one for the ****ing Napoleonic wars.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 06:10:14 »
I doubt it's going to be accurate to the sense of like Verdun is, it's going to be a battlefield game with the Great War as it's backdrop.

Most people said that saw gameplay that the tanks were quite slow.

Classes are going to be set up like this
Assault players: SMGs
Medic: maybe semi-autos
Support: LMGs
Scout: Bolt Action sniper rifles

This thread has a great deal of the limited information about the game thus far.

https://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_one/comments/4i7dfq/all_info_from_dice_to_news_outlets_about_bf1/

But all in all, I doubt they are going for 100% authenticity, I believe it's going to be authentic to a degree, but not a mirror of tactics and availability of tanks for example.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 06:41:52 »

But see, that's the problem. Semi automatic rifles basically did not exist in WW1. The French introduced one but it was ****, and literally nobody else introduced one to the battlefield. Remington released one at the turn of the century but the US Army didn't get any because they were used for sports and by law enforcement. There was also no such thing as a "Light Machinegun" in WW1. All machine guns were large, magazine fed with multiple parts that had to be lugged from position to position or they were on big wheels. The Maxim gun that was used by the British for almost 70 years weighed 60lbs. Even the Vickers weighed 30+lbs. The one used by the French weighed over 50lbs.

They are basically not doing anything to change the way the game is played. All it will be, is a new engine, new environment, same mechanics and guns, just re-skinned. The gameplay will be the same, you will still get "unlocks" for your weapons that didn't ever exist or were hardly ever seen on the battlefield, and all the same COD/BF **** is just going to be recycled.

I get that it looks ****ing awesome, it really does, and I applaud them for trying to shake up the FPS genre. People are probably going to love it, it's going to get great reviews, but I for one think it's just going to be exactly the same as everything else.

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 06:49:19 »

But see, that's the problem. Semi automatic rifles basically did not exist in WW1. The French introduced one but it was ****, and literally nobody else introduced one to the battlefield. Remington released one at the turn of the century but the US Army didn't get any because they were used for sports and by law enforcement. There was also no such thing as a "Light Machinegun" in WW1. All machine guns were large, magazine fed with multiple parts that had to be lugged from position to position or they were on big wheels. The Maxim gun that was used by the British for almost 70 years weighed 60lbs. Even the Vickers weighed 30+lbs. The one used by the French weighed over 50lbs.

They are basically not doing anything to change the way the game is played. All it will be, is a new engine, new environment, same mechanics and guns, just re-skinned. The gameplay will be the same, you will still get "unlocks" for your weapons that didn't ever exist or were hardly ever seen on the battlefield, and all the same COD/BF **** is just going to be recycled.

I get that it looks ****ing awesome, it really does, and I applaud them for trying to shake up the FPS genre. People are probably going to love it, it's going to get great reviews, but I for one think it's just going to be exactly the same as everything else.
This articles touches on some of the weapons
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/07/23/semiauto-rifles-wwi/

Obviously, a fair few of those weapons weren't in circulation within the military of any nation during that time, but some were around then, so you could get away with it.

And yeah, they're really taking liberties by making Machine guns anywhere near mobile, but I feel like, even with some gripes about authenticity, I'll still have a lot of fun with some friends online.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 03:04:35 »
But that is my problem, ultimately, is that the game is just going to be the same as the rest, and the only reason they put it in a WW1 setting is so they can be different from COD. If they aren't paying any attention to the weapons available at the time, what's the ****ing point? If they have to stretch, and take liberties, and ignore what weapons the armies had at the time, then there isn't really any point in doing it in a WW1 setting other than the attention.

Yeah it will probably be a lot of fun, but it'll be total bull**** as well. If there's a tank level then I wouldn't be surprised if they go at ****ing lightning speed.

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 04:38:33 »
I'll hold back any deal breaking judgements until we get more concrete information straight from Dice.

But I get where you are coming from, It's not as big of problem for me as it is for you, but I do hope that that take measures to keep it as accurate as possible to WW1, but if they take some liberties with the guns available, as in guns that might have not been in wide spread use, or things like that, I'm ok with it, but if they throw in guns like the M1 Garand, and just say **** it, then I'll be a bit like "You couldn't try any harder?"

At the very least, I hope the single player isn't terrible like the previous battlefield games and that stays as true to the time as possible, and if the Multiplayer makes slight deviations, for the sake of it being multiplayer, then I'm fine.

I don't expect to be able to run around spraying down people with LMG's personally, I expect you'd have to lay down on the ground or some sort of object and remain stationary whilst shooting.

But again, I'll wait to make harsh judgements until we get to see some gameplay.

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 04:46:12 »
They could use the Lewis Gun in the game pretty easily. It fits in time with the war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_gun
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 May 2016, 04:49:18 by Air tree »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 06:56:51 »
Hahahaha WW1 guns jam alot..

Pay us $1 to unjam gun m0re quickly...

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 08:05:26 »
Isn't EA the company that does Origin?

Pass.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 08:55:05 »
Isn't EA the company that does Origin?

Pass.
Yeah that's their platform for release games digitally.
I've had better experiences with their support than with Steam's tbh.
I didn't like Origin in the start, but then again I didn't like Steam when that first came out and you had to install it to play Counter-Strike. I've grown accustomed to it and now it's not so bad.
The moral dilemma remains though, support EA or nay?

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 09:42:20 »
Honestly, EA has been trying to redeem them selves with better support. They're support is already much better than steams support has ever been, they haven't been too scummy as far as I know lately.

I'm honestly fine with Origin, I'd like to have all my stuff on steam, but then again, I don't want steam to be a monopoly.

Offline ramnes

• T fou, mec?
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 12:24:21 »
Dice, Linux pls
23h18 - photekq: hhkb with silenced realforce sliders and lubricated well is
23h18 - photekq: the best switch i've used

Offline KRKS

• Your friendly neighbourhood umbrella
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 14:32:29 »
Back when BF3 was new there was an interview in which Dice said they've been interested, and they shown this interest one way or another since. So it's safe to say it's EA's fault because "not enough potential revenue" or something.
The increasing power of Massdrop WILL kill the community group buys - don't come crying to me after it happens when you're too stupid to see it now. Join me in saving the community!

MD = NO $, NO EXCEPTIONS

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 18:21:19 »
Dice, Linux pls
This. Just waiting for Linux to take over! :D

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 13:10:51 »
I'm really in for this. Though I can understand comments about EA, it's basically DICE making this (right right?).

And of course it is not going to be a WW1 SIMULATOR. Too much war equipment sucked back then or wasn't accurate, so that would be no fun at all, in my opinion ant least.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 09:28:05 »
I'm going to be a little apprehensive about it, because EA... but if Dice LA is involved, they worked magic on BF4 and brought it back from the grave, especially on PC.

Overall it's nice to see someone moving away from the futuristic themes of recent shooters.  I'm very excited to see how they set up explosives and destruction, since those seem to be staples of recent Battlefield games.
IG: https://www.instagram.com/27mechs/                                        Website: http://www.mech27.com/

Offline paradox

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 07:45:14 »
I know the youtube crowd seems to like it a lot more than Call of Duty's latest offering.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 22:44:59 »
I know the youtube crowd seems to like it a lot more than Call of Duty's latest offering.
It appears this way yeah.
Although I don't think I've ever decided to purchase a game or not based on a trailer.