Author Topic: Does a thing such as a clicky NON-tactile switch exist?  (Read 3014 times)

Offline Sgt_4Leaf

• Formerly Row009 and StarCraftII
  • I have hands
Does a thing such as a clicky NON-tactile switch exist?
« on: Sun, 22 July 2018, 15:12:13 »
One of my MX Blue switches seems to have a "defect" which I kind of like, it is barely tactile, yet still has the click.
It goes down very easily and while it does retain a bump - it is very subtle.
I am not quite sure why exactly this is... Could be due to dust entering the switch or something along those lines.
So I was wondering if switches that are practically liner with an audible click exist...

Offline Kilgarah

Re: Does a thing such as a clicky NON-tactile switch exist?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 22 July 2018, 15:20:15 »
Have you tried Kailh Speed Bronze switches before? They're linear switches with a clickbar.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 22 July 2018, 17:31:05 »
Aren't box whites linear with a click?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 22 July 2018, 18:11:32 »

No, they are still slightly tactile.  But speed bronze and box white would both feel similar to what OP is looking for.  I recommend bronze for best sound (Deeper and louder).   Since they are speed switches keep in mind they actuate very easily.  I went with box whites for that reason.

Offline RehnMan

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 22 July 2018, 18:12:19 »

Negative

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 22 July 2018, 18:18:05 »
There are some vintage keyboards that have linear switches and an electric beeper that beeps when you press a key.  That's a true linear with sound keyboard...although the sounds of those things are usually pretty awful in my opinion at least.

But that does make me wonder how hard it would be to hack together something to play any kind of noise you want when you actuate a key.  A more subtle click sound ought to be possible...

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 22 July 2018, 18:47:47 »
I have a pingmaster with linear alps and a beep speaker.  It’s okay but I still prefer a subtle tactile bump.  I also own a few boards with piezo speakers that have linear switches.  You can change the pitch but it doesn’t add much to the typing experience.  I wish it did. 

Adding a solenoid is the solution.  I’m still hoping someone will do this in a future kit. 

Offline Sgt_4Leaf

• Formerly Row009 and StarCraftII
  • I have hands
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 23 July 2018, 08:47:53 »
Have you tried Kailh Speed Bronze switches before? They're linear switches with a clickbar.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Nope. How do they compare with BOX Jades sound wise?

No, they are still slightly tactile.  But speed bronze and box white would both feel similar to what OP is looking for.  I recommend bronze for best sound (Deeper and louder).   Since they are speed switches keep in mind they actuate very easily.  I went with box whites for that reason.

Have you tried BOX Jades?
How does the sound compare?

« Last Edit: Mon, 23 July 2018, 08:49:35 by StarCraftII »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 23 July 2018, 17:04:19 »
I have a pingmaster with linear alps and a beep speaker.  It’s okay but I still prefer a subtle tactile bump.  I also own a few boards with piezo speakers that have linear switches.  You can change the pitch but it doesn’t add much to the typing experience.  I wish it did. 

Adding a solenoid is the solution.  I’m still hoping someone will do this in a future kit.
The Pibgmaster HAS a subtle tactile bump xD .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 23 July 2018, 17:10:22 »

I mean...You are not wrong about that. Still that beep doesn't really do it for me though...prefer true clicky over that.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 24 July 2018, 00:21:35 »
Tactility has part to do with how fast you type as well.

For example,  All tactility on cherry switches are fundamentally VERY-Subtle..

That is to say, if you typed on them very quickly , if not for the clicky sound of the blue.. It'd more/less feel completely linear.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 24 July 2018, 09:36:42 »

Okay I actually had to get it out to believe you.   It’s that subtle.  Of course you are right, but it’s ever so slight.  It’s also pretty far down into the press. Quite different from my white, Black, or orange alps switches

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 24 July 2018, 10:08:46 »

Okay I actually had to get it out to believe you.   It’s that subtle.  Of course you are right, but it’s ever so slight.  It’s also pretty far down into the press. Quite different from my white, Black, or orange alps switches
White, black and orange also have the same subtle bump in the keytravel AFTER the main tactile event ;) . It's caused by the contact leaf. It's not really possible to feel in tactile or clicky Alps, though - only in linears.
Check my keyboard video reviews: