Author Topic: Keyboard Horror Stories  (Read 10023 times)

Offline f32h80fsd08h34r5

Keyboard Horror Stories
« on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 00:56:50 »
Post your keyboard horror story!

What is the most horrifying experience you've ever had involving one of your keyboards (bonus points for pics)

My personal story involves this board:

More

KC60, my first build

This story takes place fairly early on in my keyboard career. I built the KC60 pictured above with Gateron Blues, and loved it! But a day came wherein I became bored with the feeling of the Gateron Blues.
So naturally I decided to attempt desoldering the board, so that I could replace the Gateron Blues with Gateron Yellows.
Welll..
All I had as far as a deslodering tools goes, was a very old soldering iron, and one of those clown nose solder sucker bulbs.
I gave it my all for a solid hour, and couldn't seem to even remove a single switch. I was fed up.
In a rageful explosion (not really, but you know what I mean) I tried tearing out the partially desoldered switches by hand, and as you can imagine this ended very poorly. The pcb was destroyed.
I quickly realized what I had just done, so I put the board aside and mourned my loss.
It was a sad day.

Anyways, let's hear yours!
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 June 2017, 18:03:54 by sam0s »

Offline MkLovin

• pwned by dit
Re: Keyboard Horror Stories
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 09:28:06 »
I don't have a photo of the board in question but this is my horror story.

I finished building some Custom 60 that I was working on.  Nothing too special.  I'd done probably 15+ builds at this point so I was pretty confident in my abilities.  Anyways, after I finished soldering I went to test it.  I couldn't reach the reset button with the case I had, so I left the internals on the desk and plugged them in.   I went to keyboardtester and I started to test the keys.  After about 5 switches, the board just went dead. However, I unplugged it and re-plugged it and tried the switch where it stopped working last time and it registered.  I checked all the diodes and solder joints, everything seemed to be fine.  However, the issue was still happening.  The weirdest part was that I got all of the keys to register but it would just stop working after a couple keystrokes.  That number was very inconsistent as well.  Sometimes it would be 5, sometimes it would be 2.  It was driving me ****ing nuts.  I absolutely couldn't figure out what was wrong for the life of me.  I flashed new firmware, nothing was working. 

After a while I ended up getting some food and putting it on my desk.  I put the board on my lap and started to test it.   Everything worked.  The entire board. 

The issue was:  When I pressed keys while the internals were on the desk, it would press the reset button on the back of the PCB and put it into booloader mode. 

I am such a moron.
Mick Lovin is my favorite singer in the Rolling Stones

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 12:01:39 »
Horror story. My work doesn't allow personally supplied keyboards. Only IT vendor supplied boards for security reasons (government contracts, defense work, etc.. everything is locked down). They just replaced everyone's board with Dell chiclet style units.  :-\ :'( >:D :mad: :eek: :(
keyboards.

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 12:29:04 »
Hrm...somewhat of a horror story here.

First time I did a lube job on a HHKB I used more that I should have. I never gave the quantity too much thought and applied excessively to each housing. Basically, all the housings. To add to the debacle, I used a more thick, viscous solution  :confused: The mess I'd created was only apparent after I'd started placing all the switches back. After 'cleaning' up the housings one by one and applying a more miniscule amount of lube, I re-assembled the board and found that the keystrokes had been noticeably adulterated. It was a mish mash of fail that cost me many hours of my life. But yea..a lesson well-learned! :thumb:

HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE

Offline Gajible

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 12:38:50 »
I misplaced a Topre spring once. It was misplaced in my hair.

Pretty alarming to be showering and finding a Topre spring..

Offline f32h80fsd08h34r5

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 12:42:27 »
@MkLovin
Real life equivalent of forgetting your semi-colons. Lol
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 June 2017, 12:44:08 by sam0s »

Offline f32h80fsd08h34r5

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 12:45:16 »

Better to have found it, rather than having it go down the drain!

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 12:49:09 »

That a topre spring in your hair?

HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 12:59:31 »
Bought an 87u once.. when I was a n00ber ..

Totally disappointed,  did not live up to hype..

Offline zeltner

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 13:19:29 »
About 2 years ago my girlfriend's son did something bad (can't remember what exactly) and we grounded him. While the grounding was going down he lost his **** and started throwing stuff around my office. There happened to be a half drank bottle of cider which ended up getting poured directly into my keyboard. About 15 switches were so sticky that they wouldn't come back up when pressed.

On the bright side, I ended up getting some tools and switches and desoldered all of the sticky ones and replaced them. Which then gave me the confidence to start trying some custom builds...

Then last week... Basically the same scenario. Kid gets mad. Instead of going crazy though, he waits till later when I'm not paying attention sneaks into my home office and spits all over the board. I didn't work from home last week so didn't notice till a few days later when I sat at my desk and my board smelled like an animal died inside of it. I couldn't figure out what it was at first but assumed he did something. Girlfriend got him to admit it later. I couldn't believe it was just spit honestly because it smelled so horrible. Anyway, the keycaps have been removed to let it air out but I had to go out of town for the weekend so have not had time to give it a proper cleaning yet... Planning to clean it up tonight... If the smell doesn't come out he will be reimbursing me for the board and keyset (novatouch + gmk carbon). Also gotta get a lock for the office door now...

Offline mason

• have fun with her, ryan
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 13:58:24 »
I bought a Unicomp 122 key in a gb(?) a while back and used it for a week or so. I shared a room with my brother at the time and it was too loud and took up too much space, so I decided to sell it.

I put it up on eBay, sold it, wrapped it in probably 3 inches of bubble wrap or enough for it to be snug in a USPS game box, and included the tool to open up the case. The buyer receives it and the controller was disconnected or something (I believe this is common when shipping it) and I told him I would walk him through reseating it. He says he expected it to work on arrival and wants to return it and a refund.

He shipped keyboard back in the same box with no bubble wrap so it was just flopping around. The case was broken in a few places along with a few broken switches and a keycap.

I ended up putting it on the free stuff thread.

Offline Altis

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 14:54:30 »
Not sure if it's what you're referring to, but I had a miserable time once that involved a keyboard...  :-X

RIP AT-101

WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline f32h80fsd08h34r5

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 16:48:18 »
About 2 years ago my girlfriend's son did something bad (can't remember what exactly) and we grounded him. While the grounding was going down he lost his **** and started throwing stuff around my office. There happened to be a half drank bottle of cider which ended up getting poured directly into my keyboard. About 15 switches were so sticky that they wouldn't come back up when pressed.

On the bright side, I ended up getting some tools and switches and desoldered all of the sticky ones and replaced them. Which then gave me the confidence to start trying some custom builds...

Then last week... Basically the same scenario. Kid gets mad. Instead of going crazy though, he waits till later when I'm not paying attention sneaks into my home office and spits all over the board. I didn't work from home last week so didn't notice till a few days later when I sat at my desk and my board smelled like an animal died inside of it. I couldn't figure out what it was at first but assumed he did something. Girlfriend got him to admit it later. I couldn't believe it was just spit honestly because it smelled so horrible. Anyway, the keycaps have been removed to let it air out but I had to go out of town for the weekend so have not had time to give it a proper cleaning yet... Planning to clean it up tonight... If the smell doesn't come out he will be reimbursing me for the board and keyset (novatouch + gmk carbon). Also gotta get a lock for the office door now...

I would consider getting a lock for your office! Lol, that sucks man.

Offline f32h80fsd08h34r5

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 16:54:43 »
Not sure if it's what you're referring to, but I had a miserable time once that involved a keyboard...  :-X

RIP AT-101

I really want to know the story behind this now.. @Altis

Offline xantiema

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 17:38:02 »

RIP AT-101

Show Image

Rofl - you can't just leave it hanging x)

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 18:14:12 »

RIP AT-101

Show Image

Did you have to use it as a shovel?  :))
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline Altis

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 21:25:18 »

RIP AT-101

Show Image

Sure did! Didn't have anything else...

Got back to the office late and there was 2 feet of snow, and aorund 8 feet of distance to the cleared part.

Used it to dig out my car and another one. Can vouch for the rigidity of the Dell AT101.  :thumb:
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline robotsokk

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 21:39:33 »
Horror story. My work doesn't allow personally supplied keyboards. Only IT vendor supplied boards for security reasons (government contracts, defense work, etc.. everything is locked down). They just replaced everyone's board with Dell chiclet style units.  :-\ :'( >:D :mad: :eek: :(

As many hours as I spend at work typing at my desk... I can think of no worse hell than this.
@home      @work Swapping out boards... coming soon     wtb

Offline f32h80fsd08h34r5

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 22:04:42 »

RIP AT-101

Show Image

Sure did! Didn't have anything else...

Got back to the office late and there was 2 feet of snow, and aorund 8 feet of distance to the cleared part.

Used it to dig out my car and another one. Can vouch for the rigidity of the Dell AT101.  :thumb:

I'm assuming you trashed it after? No way that thing was in working condition.. unless I guess you just let out the snow melt out and dry.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 07:23:44 »

RIP AT-101

Show Image

Well ****.
If that ever happened to me I'd be devastated. I hope it wasn't one of your daily drivers.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 09:43:31 »
I've got a good one, also the reason I'll probably never try to buy another OTD board. 

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74002.0

Edit: rereading the thread is giving me flashbacks  :blank:
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 June 2017, 09:47:13 by Joey Quinn »
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 10:09:30 »
A year or so ago I found a Leeku 1800 PCB and a Dolch Pac case. I've been looking for an G80 1800 for a loong time (finally got one) but this was the first time I'd ever found anything close. As I'm positioning the PCB in the case, one of the ribs in the bottom housing catches onto one of the chips by the USB port and rips it clean off. I've since gotten a new PCB for it but the experience has left me scarred. I have suspicions that the PCB will still work, I'll just not be able to re-program it. Never got around to testing it.

Offline Altis

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 11:36:11 »
I'm assuming you trashed it after? No way that thing was in working condition.. unless I guess you just let out the snow melt out and dry.
Well ****.
If that ever happened to me I'd be devastated. I hope it wasn't one of your daily drivers.

Yeah it had some switch problems and I wasn't going to keep it anyways, so I recycled it.

The keys gripped the snow fairly well.  :thumb:

Offline pon10

• looking at my keycaps..
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 12:03:38 »
I don't have a photo of the board in question but this is my horror story.

I finished building some Custom 60 that I was working on.  Nothing too special.  I'd done probably 15+ builds at this point so I was pretty confident in my abilities.  Anyways, after I finished soldering I went to test it.  I couldn't reach the reset button with the case I had, so I left the internals on the desk and plugged them in.   I went to keyboardtester and I started to test the keys.  After about 5 switches, the board just went dead. However, I unplugged it and re-plugged it and tried the switch where it stopped working last time and it registered.  I checked all the diodes and solder joints, everything seemed to be fine.  However, the issue was still happening.  The weirdest part was that I got all of the keys to register but it would just stop working after a couple keystrokes.  That number was very inconsistent as well.  Sometimes it would be 5, sometimes it would be 2.  It was driving me ****ing nuts.  I absolutely couldn't figure out what was wrong for the life of me.  I flashed new firmware, nothing was working. 

After a while I ended up getting some food and putting it on my desk.  I put the board on my lap and started to test it.   Everything worked.  The entire board. 

The issue was:  When I pressed keys while the internals were on the desk, it would press the reset button on the back of the PCB and put it into booloader mode. 

I am such a moron.

arhahaha ^-^

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 12:18:42 »
Completely destroyed a Focus FK-2001. One of the saddest things I've done.

Also ruined a bunch of pads on my Quickfire Rapid which was going to be my Zealio board.

Offline web993

• Still waiting for SA Carbon
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 15:15:04 »
I bought a Noppoo Choc Mini on eBay with Gat Clears for $20. Only issue was a missing USB cable, which uses the 4 pin JST connector. Instead of tracing it or finding a wiring diagram or whatever, I cut a USB cable out of an old OEM board that had the same connector and plugged it in. Apparently the cable was wired differently because it burned the controller  :(

Offline f32h80fsd08h34r5

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 15:31:38 »
I bought a Noppoo Choc Mini on eBay with Gat Clears for $20. Only issue was a missing USB cable, which uses the 4 pin JST connector. Instead of tracing it or finding a wiring diagram or whatever, I cut a USB cable out of an old OEM board that had the same connector and plugged it in. Apparently the cable was wired differently because it burned the controller  :(

Rip controller :(
But good attempt at jury-rigging!

Offline DaBubbs

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 16:18:35 »
Yikes!

I am somewhat in a similar situation. I am the only one in my office that has a mechanical keyboard. Everyone else likes my keyboard, but they tell me that it isn't a big deal to them to upgrade their default Dell keyboards that they got years ago with Dell desktops they bought.

Driving on their machines reminds me why I am so happy I went mechanical.
When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid.

Offline Aer Fixus

• And now, back to lurking...
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 16:23:07 »
I set a drink down on my desk and got up to get something that I forgot in the kitchen. When I came back, my chair had swung completely around and knocked my drink onto my Kishsaver. The keyboard was in pieces in what felt like seconds. Metal and PCBs were prioritized to dry off before plastic parts. Of course the foam completely fell apart, so I ended up doing a full restoration, sand blasting the case and giving it quite a few coats of primer and paint and hand cleaning every single part inside and out with isopropyl. I then ANSI modded it because I was toying with that decision for a while before the incident.

The only lasting damage I've discovered so far is that one spring has rusted (on the left control key) and it no longer properly clicks. And I've misplaced my extra parts from the ANSI mod...

I've got pictures of the restoration somewhere. I'll try to track them down and post them at some point.
               SOON: IN PROGRESS:

I lie all the time.... I really don't even like keyboards

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 17:20:49 »
My first attempt at soldering was swapping out the green leds on my kbt pure. Since the iron I was using didn't have a variable temp and the tip size was too big, I burnt 4 pads then gave up. I think I might have messed with a trace too, the leds would only light up when the key that led was on was pressed.

I also messed up a Phantom board pretty bad. For some reason the board was pressing keys at random, so I decided to desolder the teensy and hopefully pop it into a new phantom PCB. Unfortunately, I was using the same iron as before and basically made it impossible to desolder the teensy from the phantom. I ended up just taking the switches off and tossed the pcb into the junk drawer.

Luckily those messed up boards are on the cheaper end of the spectrum.
EM7 | Nunu | Virgo | Salamander | SS AEK64

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 17:26:18 »
I'm a pretty decent solderer so the task doesn't scare me. But all these stories about soldering mishaps is one reason why I'm considering using holtites for my next build. All it takes is one mess up.

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 17:57:10 »
Desoldering.

The Scenario: I didn't have anymore of the rubber tubing for the solder sucker, so I thought, "Hmmm what's the worst that could happen if I just didn't use it?".

Key takeaway: Worst that can happen is you completely screw up your PCB.

Consequence: I had an excuse to add a few more things to my replacement PCB order. Oh yeah, and I also discovered where to source that tubing from.

Offline f32h80fsd08h34r5

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 21:47:34 »
I'm a pretty decent solderer so the task doesn't scare me. But all these stories about soldering mishaps is one reason why I'm considering using holtites for my next build. All it takes is one mess up.

To be fair, that one mess up has to be pretty big.

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 08:34:18 »
I've got a good one, also the reason I'll probably never try to buy another OTD board. 

That truly is a nightmare.
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 12:26:09 »

It was a roller coaster of emotion and in the end a good learning experience for everyone involved.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 21:36:09 »

It was a roller coaster of emotion and in the end a good learning experience for everyone involved.

I see.

Still, must have been pretty awful for everyone.
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Offline Cotay

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 17 June 2017, 16:45:53 »

I'd wager that everyone has messed up a pad or two along the way. I've been soldering for about 35 years and just last week I managed to lift off half an LED pad on a B.mini PCB. I was distracted by one of my kids and left the iron on a bit too long...luckily I caught myself in time and was able to avoid a complete disaster.

Offline JP

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 12:42:34 »
So I received this IBM M13 advertised as being in perfect condition. USPS dropped it office at my door so did not have a chance to refuse it. I could hear key caps rattling around before I opened it and it felt as though the keyboard could freely slide around in the large box. I opened the box, found all the key caps but then noticed a huge crack on the top right corner. This damage explains why those key caps came off due to the impact. I bought this from eBay, paid what it was worth, probably more. The shipping material was the thinnest piece of bubble wrap you can buy. The seller didn't use any tape or use other packaging to stop the board from sliding around in a large box. I messaged the seller requesting a refund and sent pictures of the damage but have not heard back yet. I feel as though the odds are stacked in my favor, but hopefully I don't jinx myself. Any suggestions on how to best handle this would be welcome. It seems if the seller balks, I can submit a PayPal case or open a case with eBay. There may also be insurance with USPS?

177912-0

177914-1

177916-2

« Last Edit: Sat, 09 September 2017, 13:22:24 by JP »
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline dante

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 12:46:04 »
I once used a Topre keycap puller.

Offline dante

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 12:51:36 »
Bought an 87u once.. when I was a n00ber ..

Totally disappointed,  did not live up to hype..

You just described most mechanical keyboards.

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 13:33:58 »
One of my favorite keyboards, my AEK II with Salmon ALPs, started having an issue with the space bar.  It would double register.  I tried everything from cleaning the switch, doing the alcohol trick, bending the plate, reseat the assembly, etc.  For a while, it would be good, but eventually, the double registering would return.  Finally, this week, the situation returned and decided to desolder the switch and switch (no pun intended) it with a key that I rarely use, i.e., the F9 key.  I had previously desoldered the "K" key on this keyboard and put a working switch without any difficulty.  I thought this time, everything would go without issue. 

To my dismay, the spacebar switch had bent pins.  Damn, I hate when the manufacturer does this.  I saw a post about heating the solder and using an instrument to bend while the solder was melted.  I mistakenly used my chisel tip to both heat the solder and bend the pin.  To my horror, I scraped the pad right off while pushing on the pin.  On top of things, my desoldering pump was clogged with solder, which I was unaware of.  I probably wasn't getting much vacuum, and probably heated the pin too many times and too long using a poorly functioning desolder pump.  I even used solder wick, but don't think I did a good job.  Somehow, I was able to desolder and remove the switch, and although the pad lifted, after putting a blob of solder on the pin, everything still worked.  Later, when I disassembled the desoldering pump, a couple big plugs of solder came out, which likely affected getting sufficient vacuum.  I also didn't do that great of a job with the F9 switch as well.  Fortunately, I'm aware that I could have put a jumper wire, which would have been easy.

Lessons learned was to always make sure the desoldering pump is free of obstruction.  Then, next to use another instrument to bend the pin.  I'm not sure it's a good idea to use a hot soldering tip.

Maybe not that much of a horror story, but my OCD bugs me a little bit that my PCB looks ugly in those areas.

IBM Model F122 X 2 internal Soarer's || IBM Model M122 internal Soarer's || AEK II SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||  AEK M0115 SKCM Orange ALPS click mod external adb_usb converter || AEK M0115 SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||

Offline zslane

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 13:34:57 »
Last year I found a dusty old (circa 1993) IBM Model M buried in the bottom of a cabinet at work. It was like finding an old, desiccating corpse. I still need to put that horrific thing out of its misery. Preferably with fire. Lots of fire.

Offline f32h80fsd08h34r5

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 11:41:25 »
Last year I found a dusty old (circa 1993) IBM Model M buried in the bottom of a cabinet at work. It was like finding an old, desiccating corpse. I still need to put that horrific thing out of its misery. Preferably with fire. Lots of fire.

Upload vid when you do :)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 07:11:53 »

What??! Don't trash it—it's a classic! It probably still works fine, and is just grimy from service. Ironically, the better-built a keeb is, the longer it can be used and the dirtier it can get... But that's not the poor keeb's fault, is it?

Pull the keys, separate the caps and stems (assuming they're 2-piece keys) and soak them in warm water for 30 minutes with a bit of liquid laundry soap, stirring every 10 minutes to agitate them. Blow the case out with compressed air and wipe it down with alcohol (being careful not to damage the back label).

Before putting the keys back on the board, be sure to let the stems and caps dry (at least overnight, preferably 2 days) so all vestiges of water evaporate.

If you do it with care, you may end up with a Model M that not only works perfectly, but looks like it just came off the assembly line.

Of course some Model M's are mistreated and not restorable, but that's not typical. There's a lot more info about them in threads here at GH.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 07:52:10 »

What??! Don't trash it—it's a classic! It probably still works fine, and is just grimy from service. Ironically, the better-built a keeb is, the longer it can be used and the dirtier it can get... But that's not the poor keeb's fault, is it?

Pull the keys, separate the caps and stems (assuming they're 2-piece keys) and soak them in warm water for 30 minutes with a bit of liquid laundry soap, stirring every 10 minutes to agitate them. Blow the case out with compressed air and wipe it down with alcohol (being careful not to damage the back label).

Before putting the keys back on the board, be sure to let the stems and caps dry (at least overnight, preferably 2 days) so all vestiges of water evaporate.

If you do it with care, you may end up with a Model M that not only works perfectly, but looks like it just came off the assembly line.

Of course some Model M's are mistreated and not restorable, but that's not typical. There's a lot more info about them in threads here at GH.

This.

Offline ImpendingxDoom

• * Maker
  • MF the SuperVillain
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 08:00:19 »
Had a 1800 PCB that had a short in it. Before doing any actual work on it I plugged it in to make sure I had the right software to program it. Ill never forget the sound of my computer recognizing it, then immediately disconnecting it about 200 times in 5 seconds. Sounded like the windows alert system was going to war.

Hate when things show up DOA

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 08:13:49 »

I still need to put that horrific thing out of its misery.

You guys do remember that zslane is the quintessential MH8R, right?

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 09:10:42 »
Had a 1800 PCB that had a short in it. Before doing any actual work on it I plugged it in to make sure I had the right software to program it. Ill never forget the sound of my computer recognizing it, then immediately disconnecting it about 200 times in 5 seconds. Sounded like the windows alert system was going to war.

Far out.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 09:20:07 »

"buh ding, dih duh, buh ding, did huh dih duh, buh ding"

Sometimes a "keeb" will work in one set of USB ports and not another.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline zslane

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 12:01:57 »

Oh, I took it apart and cleaned it all up, just as an exercise. It works just fine. It's a little scraped up, but is in otherwise fine condition. But it's a Model M, and it doesn't deserve to live.

You know what they call a thousand Model M's at the bottom of the ocean? "A good start."  :p