Author Topic: Volta Magnetic Adapter  (Read 2125 times)

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
Volta Magnetic Adapter
« on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 13:27:22 »
Not sure if this has been discussed, or how many of you have seen this but...

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/volta-magnetic-adapter-2-0-charge-any-usb-device#/

They've designed a magnetic adapter for all USB types (or most, at least). This might be a clean alternative for those who dislike Lemo connectors. They advertise it as a charging cable, but, as far as I can see, it supports data transfer too.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline dingusxmcgee

Re: Volta Magnetic Adapter
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 13:51:03 »
Thought I have seen similar cables around r/mk that were also magnetic.

Definitely a cool idea.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 13:59:54 »
It looks pretty cool, but they haven't produced a working demo yet.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 15:52:09 »
What's so special about that? What's wrong with these?
REΛLFORCE

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 21 September 2019, 10:19:25 »
I have several of this type of cable made by "US Lion" that I bought on ebay and they work great.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 21 September 2019, 12:20:44 »
What's so special about that?

You only need to carry the adaptor then hope wherever you find yourself has the correct (micro or C) cable to plug into it.

Cables get damaged in transit while little adaptors get lost - either way I'd still be likely to find myself unable to charge :))
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 21 September 2019, 22:33:03 »
What's so special about that? What's wrong with these?

To be honest, I think they're all roughly the same idea. The Volta adapters specifically got some attention at work, so I thought I'd run it up the flag pole - so to speak.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 23 September 2019, 08:05:19 »
I bought 3 of these plus a couple of extra connectors, so I have one at home, one in the car, and one at work.

Also we will be ready when any or all of them go to C from the existing micro.

If there is an outside situation, I can always pull the little head out of my phone to use a conventional cable, but in the meantime there is a lot less inserting and removing than usual.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USLION-3A-Fast-Micro-USB-Type-C-Magnetic-Charging-Charger-Data-Cable-For-Android/392289639698?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=661265873103&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 23 September 2019, 15:12:50 »
I've used these, basically the main problem,  is that the pins have a very small contact area,  Overtime, there is electrical arching which will cause carbonation buildup, and the pin contacts will stop working or work intermittently.

You can use some deoxit, and fix this, buhhhhhh..... I'd like to see a more robust coating for what they're charging for these things, which is exorbitant. ..

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 23 September 2019, 15:55:05 »
I see indigogo i say nah no thanks fam.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020