Author Topic: Looking for a cheap Hot air station  (Read 2660 times)

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
Looking for a cheap Hot air station
« on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 06:00:51 »
I'd like to give QFN packages a go so I'm thinking to buy a cheap hot air station.
I truly have no idea what would the minimum specifications for my hobbyist usage be, so I'm asking for your gentlemen advice.

It should be available to buy in Europe and should be within a € 100 price range.

Amazon.it sells this unit which blows a maximum of 120 litres per minute. Would this one suit my needs?
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: Looking for a cheap Hot air station
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 06:09:16 »
I'd like to give QFN packages a go so I'm thinking to buy a cheap hot air station.
I truly have no idea what would the minimum specifications for my hobbyist usage be, so I'm asking for your gentlemen advice.

It should be available to buy in Europe and should be within a € 100 price range.

Amazon.it sells this unit which blows a maximum of 120 litres per minute. Would this one suit my needs?

I think this is the exact one I got, bought it off amazon to fix an hdd and then returned it cuz I don't really have any long term use for a hot air station. Did the job fine, has more than enough power for hobbyist needs I'd think.
I love Elzy

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 06:14:37 »
I think this is the exact one I got, bought it off amazon to fix an hdd and then returned it cuz I don't really have any long term use for a hot air station. Did the job fine, has more than enough power for hobbyist needs I'd think.
I've noticed this unit is sold with the same model number by different manufacturers so it might be the case.

Thanks for your feedback.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 08:16:56 »
It's Less useful than you think

Because you have to do alot of taping most of the time to work with hot air..  or it ends up melting alot of plastic around the part you're working on.

Make sure you watch alot of videos on youtube,  because it has a specific purpose.  and there are very strict limitations to its use.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 08:56:01 »
I know it's not the kind of tool that you can master after one attempt at it.
I've watched some videos and I will surely try it on some dead motherboard I own, before actually trying to solder QFN chips on a PCB.