Author Topic: RIP CHERRY  (Read 8661 times)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
RIP CHERRY
« on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 12:13:46 »
Check out the note under the pic:

PLEASE NOTE: CHERRY will become ZF in 2017.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
Re: RIP CHERRY
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 12:14:44 »
Buy low, sell high
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 12:14:45 »
how can u rip when you dead already?
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 12:16:27 »
Hm....Wonder if MX switches will continue to be made. Along with the Cherry boards. If they do, will they have a ZF marking on them instead of the Cherry logo? Will ZF continue the push Cherry has been making to get more involved in the PC gaming space?

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 12:18:50 »
Good to know but I wouldn't worry about it if you're a cherry fan. ZF has owned Cherry for a few years now. Whether they phase out MX switches for being unprofitable is a separate issue from their branding choice.

Offline asdfjkl36

• blue shirt guy
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • --- Click Clacks and Cats --- -- Cyan > Purple --
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 12:19:29 »
I think they'll keep the Cherry branded stuff in some stuff (such as switches) but the company itself will be absorbed.

But who knows

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 12:20:48 »
Maybe they'll fix the MX Blue process

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 12:21:50 »

What's wrong with the process? I thought it was just molding and QC issues.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 12:29:05 »
I'd be surprised if Cherry abandoned their recent "custom" board projects, but you never know the internal workings of a company.  Interesting news for sure, though.

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 12:29:32 »

What's wrong with the process? I thought it was just molding and QC issues.

That's what I was thinking of

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 12:33:06 »
Sweet. Now all I have to do is wait 30 more years for my MX Reds to be considered vintage.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 12:43:38 »
2016 year of topre.

DOWN WITH CHERRY ZF
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 12:54:27 »
rip who?

:cool:
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 17:39:13 »
Maybe I am dense, and/or this is something completely different, but am I reading that these switches are actually harvesting the energy that is being used to press down when you activate them?
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Ralph Furley

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 18:02:47 »
Maybe I am dense, and/or this is something completely different, but am I reading that these switches are actually harvesting the energy that is being used to press down when you activate them?
Yes, also your fingerprints and Tinder password.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 18:51:54 »
ZFMX?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 20:39:49 »
Well this is interesting. Get your MX while you still can! If they keep MX, wonder how the quality will be affected.

Meanwhile Alps lives on
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 08:46:56 »
Seems like a lot of noise about nothing. From wikipedia...

In 2008, Cherry GmbH was bought by ZF Friedrichshafen and as a result was renamed to ZF Electronics GmbH, now a subsidiary of ZF Friedrichshafen. However, they continue to sell products under the Cherry brand and the Cherry logo is still in use.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 09:47:49 »
Do you know how much those molds cost.. F.. no they're not gonna bother changing the logo on the switches until that mold wears out.. which is a long long time.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 18:50:12 »
When there is a brand recognition or association the name is often kept the same, so as long as they are being produced they will most always be known as Cherry.  You see it in pharmaceuticals too.  Companies that no longer exist, their name and logo is still on the medication being sold.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline tronbeaver

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 24 December 2015, 08:31:53 »
Huh?  Cherry is alive and well in the USA.

http://www.cherryusacorp.com/

Offline Charles.w

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 24 December 2015, 14:43:32 »
Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX Brown (ISO FR w WASD KeyCaps) / CoolerMaster NovaTouch TKL (ISO FR w Vortex Side Printed PBT KeyCaps) / KUL ES87 MX Clear

Offline Connly33

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 24 December 2015, 14:53:16 »
I heard about this a few years before i had started developing my keyboard interest, but it looks like they haven't changed anything even though they had been bought out quite a long time ago.

Custom 60% with Cherry MX Clear

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 24 December 2015, 14:57:41 »

Offline Charles.w

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 24 December 2015, 15:09:07 »
Thanks. I was a bit surprised that no one checked CherryCorp's website ;)
Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX Brown (ISO FR w WASD KeyCaps) / CoolerMaster NovaTouch TKL (ISO FR w Vortex Side Printed PBT KeyCaps) / KUL ES87 MX Clear

Offline MeltingTeeth

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 24 December 2015, 15:17:18 »
Whooosh

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 26 December 2015, 04:39:10 »
Thanks. I was a bit surprised that no one checked CherryCorp's website ;)

And spoil a good rumour?!?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 11:45:15 »
I ran across this when looking at a data sheet for a Cherry board today.  The funny thing is the local ZF office that it points to is less than 30 minutes away from me in Pleasant Prarie, WI.  :thumb:  And under their careers you see that they have a sales office in IL and another larger office in MI.  Something tells me Cherry switches will still be around for a long time.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 11:47:48 »
Time to stockpile MX Clears
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 09:51:40 »

In 2008, Cherry GmbH was bought by ZF Friedrichshafen and as a result was renamed to ZF Electronics GmbH, now a subsidiary of ZF Friedrichshafen. However, they continue to sell products under the Cherry brand and the Cherry logo is still in use.

Good to know but I wouldn't worry about it if you're a cherry fan. ZF has owned Cherry for a few years now. Whether they phase out MX switches for being unprofitable is a separate issue from their branding choice.

I'm pretty sure most people here know about ZF's ownership of Cherry, they're just more curious about what will happen with the MX switches once the Cherry name is completely gone
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 10:06:28 »

I'm pretty sure most people here know about ZF's ownership of Cherry, they're just more curious about what will happen with the MX switches once the Cherry name is completely gone

The idea being that the name switch implies that they're going to phase out MX?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 10:07:41 »

The idea being that the name switch implies that they're going to phase out MX?

Probably not something extreme like that. But even something like changing the names on the molds would be incredibly costly and I doubt ZF would even bother
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline tronbeaver

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 12:24:05 »

What makes you think the Cherry Name is disappearing?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 12:32:11 »

What makes you think the Cherry Name is disappearing?
The image in the original post.

Offline tronbeaver

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 12:50:04 »
They seem alive and well in 2016:

http://cherrycorp.com/

Offline garfi3ld

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 13:11:38 »
Cherry is moving their industrial stuff over to the ZF brand and ZF is moving some consumer stuff over to the cherry brand, thats all

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 19:01:42 »
Cherry is moving their industrial stuff over to the ZF brand and ZF is moving some consumer stuff over to the cherry brand, thats all
This is pretty important to know because when computer companies like Dell and Compaq did that, their consumer stuff was all the 'junk' and the business/industrial stuff was where the decent and good stuff was at.  I'm curious to see what pans out for ZF.