Author Topic: Stock "Crisp Bottom Out Feeling" Stabilizers  (Read 3707 times)

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
Stock "Crisp Bottom Out Feeling" Stabilizers
« on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 21:38:57 »
So I've always prefer Costar stabilizers despite the fact that it takes longer to change keycaps (you get used to it after a while).

I like Costar because it preserve the feel of the switch it's like as if the stabilizers aren't even there.  On the other hand Cherry stabilizer gets that cushioned bottom out and you can't help to keep noticing it's there.

This actually prevent me from buying a lot of keyboards because I simply cannot stand non-clipped Cherry stabilizers.

This makes me wonder, what are the list of keyboards that have a "Crisp Bottom Out Feeling"?

Costar Stabilizers:
Filco
CM Storm QuickFire Rapid
CM Storm QuickFire Stealth
CM Storm QuickFire XT
WASD Keyboards
WASD Keyboards V2
Rosewill RK-9000
Rosewill RK-9000V2
Das Keyboard 3
KBParadise V60
KBParadise V80
Max Keyboards Nighthawk
Razer Blackwidow (Not exactly Costar but similar)

Stock Clipped Cherry Stabilizers:
Poker 2
Poker 3
KBT Race
Leopold FC900R
Leopold FC980M
Archiss ProgressTouch Retro
Razer Blackwidow X

On a random note, ALPS Stabilizers and Topre Stabilizers also maintain the feel of the switch as you don't really feel the existence of the stabilizers.

If I missed anything on the list feel free to leave me a comment and I will add them to the list.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 February 2017, 16:59:44 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Stock "Crisp Bottom Out Feeling" Stabilizers
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 22:01:03 »
The reason you feel the stabilizer,  is because it's slightly out of alignment..   This is a tolerance limit to plastic forming. And IMHO they should've designed it to be more loose fitting..

What you can do , is Rip out the old stabilizers, don't desolder the whole board, just cut the old ones out..

Then take the new stabilizers,  use a small flat file, and file the slider to increase the clearance between it and the internal shaft..

THEN use a buffing wheel to get it relatively smooth again..

Increasing the clearance should make it indistinguishable from the costar.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 22:17:01 »
Ehhhh no I mean the bottom out issue.  Because Cherry stabilizers have those legs that cushion the bottom out (which in turn makes it mushy).

As seen here:

I've done the mod on PCB mount keyboards and it feels great afterwards.  However with plate mount keyboard you'd have to desolder all the switches to do this mod.

I wish all the new keyboards have it come pre-clipped like the Leopold/Vortex/KBT ones.

:(

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 22:18:45 »
Clipped or buy the ones like zeal is selling.  You can't feel them at all on bottom out.  Very very nice.  I just build a board with gat blacks and it was very satisfying to clack those stabilized keys.  Felt just like the 1u ones!

Offline Hyde

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 21:30:15 »
Oh yeah I agree clipped Cherry stabilizers are amazing.  But the problem is in order to get clipped Cherry stabilizer you either have to:

1.  PCB mount, this is easy, just pop them off, clip it, pop it back in and all good.

2.  Plate mount, well now have fun desolder all the switches in order to take out the stabilizers.

3.  Build your own, well I'd imagine it will be a fun project but it can be intimidating to people new to this hobby also custom boards generally tend to cost a lot.

4.  Well have the manufacturing process pre-clip them (ie. Vortex, KBT, Leopold, Razer....etc).  Somehow other companies are still not picking up on it yet and I don't know why.

Lol just my 2 cents...

Offline Entropia

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 09:17:26 »
If the Leopold FC900R has clipped stabilizers, does the FC980M has them too?

Offline Hyde

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 16:54:56 »
If the Leopold FC900R has clipped stabilizers, does the FC980M has them too?

I'm not too sure, but FC900R's stock clipped stabilizer stems are dark grey (as oppose to black).

So maybe see if we can find any image on FC980M's stabilizer stems.  :P

EDIT:  Yes indeed it does have grey stems.  Updating the list.  :)

http://www.leopold.co.kr/?doc=cart/item.php&it_id=1475214422
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 February 2017, 17:00:30 by Hyde »

Offline Entropia

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 09:52:29 »
Yeah, I already knew the stabilizers in these Leopolds are grey and not black, but I didn't know that means anything in particular. However, I had read some comments of users saying that stabilized keys on the Leopolds feel better than on other keyboards with Cherry stabilizers. Now, we know this is because their stabilizers are already clipped. Good news!

Offline Keycap

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 15:32:58 »
When you go Costar, you never go back.

I can't stand Cherry stabs anymore  :p

Offline Hyde

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 17:42:46 »
When you go Costar, you never go back.

I can't stand Cherry stabs anymore  :p

Costar need to invent a way to have Costar stabilizer on LED backlit keyboards (currently the bar will crash into the LED due to not enough space).

Also yes once you go Costar you don't go back.  :)

Clipped Cherry close second (you can still feel it a tinyyyyy bit).