Author Topic: Cleaning keyboards  (Read 2619 times)

Offline gh_pp

Cleaning keyboards
« on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 22:06:42 »
Of course the best way is the take off all the keycaps and wash with warm soap water.

But I can’t justify that every week or even monthly (many keyboards :)

So what’s your routine?

I have compressed air cans but they are not very effective against oily or sticky stuff.

Anyone tried these?

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=2013.1.0.0.8jLLLj&scm=1007.295.0.0&id=27481372928&pvid=8153779f-5d8f-4c4d-a02b-8da8952bacf4&jlogid=p07115733bdc4e
QFR brown x2, Realforce 45G, Type-S, Keycool 22 blue

Previous keyboards: 55G, IBM Model M, Dell AT101W, Fujitsu FKB4725, G80-3000 clear, QFS green, QFS blue

[WTB] Custom keyboard build

Offline jevvix

Re: Cleaning keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 00:53:30 »
Every week!  :eek:

I couldn't justify that either. It takes my keyboards about 2-3 months to get 'dirty' and even then that's mostly dust or hair. If anything, my QWER and 1234 get a little grimy and I'll just pull them and wipe them with a damp cloth. I feel preventative measures are the best. Not eating at the keyboard and making sure to wash your hands thoroughly after eating will save you lots of cleaning time, trust me.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 00:59:01 »
6 yuan is less than a dollar  ;D

Will have to get some next time I got to china

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 03:56:44 »
This thread is also relevant.

Plus you can use one of these to clean between the keys, with or without removing the keycaps.

I don't wash mine all that often, in fact I rotate keyboards and keycap sets more often than I clean, although I do give it a blow and sometimes brush out when I have the keycaps off.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 04:06:04 »
Well the problem hasn't really been just "dust".. It's Oil... between the keys..

The only way to get at that really is cotton-swabs and  rubbing alcohol...   TEDIOUS to the max...

Remove caps
Put caps into container with mild detergent.. shake gently
Vacuum
Cotton swabs + alcohol.

In that order

Offline Martyr

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 04:06:10 »
Shake it upside down a few times a week, usually only clean the caps every 3 months or so.

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 04:10:58 »
I would not shake it upside down without taking off the keycaps. Dust will collect on the bottom of the keycaps, then drop right into the switch when you flip it back over and start using it.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 04:13:35 »
I would not shake it upside down without taking off the keycaps. Dust will collect on the bottom of the keycaps, then drop right into the switch when you flip it back over and start using it.

mmmm hmmm......

Offline BakerMan1971

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 04:14:16 »
I have seen that "silly putty" stuff advertised gh-pp, not used it yet, but interested in seeing if it is a good option.

I personally clean by tipping up, I don't eat over my gaming keyboard but crumbs and stuff seem to get in there, (odd). I will see a difference when my new board arrives as that has a plastic cover which I will make use of when not using the board.

Every month or so I go to town with a brush and air duster, and my keyboards have lasted years.

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 04:21:30 »
I don't like it, it doesn't clean the dirt under the keys. I think it's much better to periodically remove keycaps, put them in dishwasher and in meantime clean the plate from all the dirt that accumulated. I actually do it every 2-3 months or when i rotate keyboards. It's kinda normal when you have pets at home (i've got 2 cats).
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 07:16:16 »
The quick and easy procedure, to do regularly and often, is a good wipe-down with alcohol.

Taking off the keys and giving them a 5-minute soak them in laundry detergent makes them squeaky clean.

Rinse well and "sling" the water out of the keys individually, by hand, and toss them out on a T-shirt to dry. They will be ready in minutes. The whole process can be squeezed into half an hour.

While they are off, vacuum (do not blow) up all the accumulated board chow.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline mnpikey

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 07:25:51 »
compressed air, nothing else!

Offline Danule

• ###
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 07:38:13 »
I like using a damp cloth on the keycaps and taking apart the keyboard every once in a while to get the dirt from under the keys.
45g Brown Brown Blue

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 07:41:27 »
Just curious how 'dirty' are your keyboards getting? I've never cleaned any of my keyboards or key caps, except the used stuff I get from others.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 07:45:34 »
Just curious how 'dirty' are your keyboards getting? I've never cleaned any of my keyboards or key caps, except the used stuff I get from others.

it depends on if you eat at the PC.. some people do the whole crumbs thing...

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 20:55:04 »
It's kinda normal when you have pets at home (i've got 2 cats).
My keyboard seem to be a kittah magnet too.

Anyhow, I do the same routine as you except I do it every other week.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 21:11:33 »
It's kinda normal when you have pets at home (i've got 2 cats).
My keyboard seem to be a kittah magnet too.

Anyhow, I do the same routine as you except I do it every other week.

If cat pee didn't smell so awful.. I would so get one...