Author Topic: Looking for a new MP3 player, recommendations?  (Read 1174 times)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Looking for a new MP3 player, recommendations?
« on: Thu, 17 November 2022, 06:43:54 »
My MP3 player broke (XDuoo X3II). Looking for something new, max €150. HD audio, support for 256 GB microSD cards, physical buttons, 3.5 mm jack, no stupid software like itunes or the sony one on your PC required (just copy files and playlists unto the card and that's it). Recs?
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Looking for a new MP3 player, recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 17 November 2022, 07:00:02 »
Just to clarify is HD audio "hi-res" PCM or DSD, and what physical buttons do you need? 
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 17 November 2022, 09:47:33 »
Just to clarify is HD audio "hi-res" PCM or DSD, and what physical buttons do you need?
Yes, high-resolution, sorry. Physical buttons for on/off, volume, next/previous and pause/play at the least. I often have to use it without looking at it, hence.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 18 November 2022, 03:45:13 »
With it being Black Friday ebay is definitely worth a look while everyone's dreaming of new "bargains", given similar requirements I'm looking at a Cowon D2 but it doesn't do 256GB cards and having to remove the card to add music isn't great (it's only USB2)

why not go retro, like minidisc
I remember minidisc fondly but the capacity isn't there - you can fit a hundred hours of music on a microSD for less money than would buy two minidiscs which can hold 4 albums each at their highest bitrate compressed format (if I'm remembering correctly) and who knows what I'm going to want to listen to on my way home in 14 hours time.  Plus the power required to spin the disc is significantly more meaning you need to charge more often, and being old with proprietary batteries isn't good for long term ownership...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod