Author Topic: [NO HOLDS BARRED] What is the most essential features on a perfect keyboard?  (Read 2171 times)

Offline kolektador

We all know there is no perfect keyboard, but if there is, then what are the features that you want that comes with it?

For me, theoretically if we can create a blasted full keyboard in a 60% size with volume and media controls then that for me would be the perfect keyboard.

Essentials for a keyboard for me:
Small Form Factor
104/108 keys
Numpad
Volume control
Full NKRO
Detachable USB type C or better technology
I don't like RGB so... no RGB is essential for me hehe

How about you?

The true endgame keyboard is not a perfect keyboard but a keyboard that makes you feel satisfied and at peace while using it  :)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
What is or what are?

KEY FEEL
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
full keyboard in a 60% size with volume and media controls then that for me would be the perfect keyboard.
This is how you wind up with 60% key size and a nightmare to type on.

Personally, switch feel and layout is everything.
I want a good keyboard to type on, everything else is just extra.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
Raccoons and Foxy
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline kajahtaa

Tented 40 with Bykos and KAT Blanks

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
the feel of a keyboard, both with the mounting and the switch feel, a layout that is usable to me, comfortable angle/front height to type on, looks and sounds good. Honestly I'm not too specific when it comes to a perfect keyboard, but those are a things are must in a potentially "perfect keyboard"
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
This is how you wind up with 60% key size and a nightmare to type on.

Personally, switch feel and layout is everything.
I want a good keyboard to type on, everything else is just extra.

No tenting, it's not even a real keyboard.

Offline udller

bezel uniformity.

no snaggle toothed blockers.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
I hate very tall keycaps, they feel straight up gross on my fingers.

so not that

Offline Mandan

My idea of "perfect" would veer into "weirdo ergonomic" territory.

The standard typewriter layout was scaled to fit an average sized woman with average sized hands.  I'm a man with large hands.  No matter what the layout, a 1u layout is always cramped, and therefore tiring.  I would probably be okay with keys 1u high and 1.25u wide, which at least wouldn't need custom-made keycaps.

The next thing is, the standard layout assumes the operator is a typist, with the keyboard low, forearms straight, and hands typing down into a curved keyboard surface.  The curve reduces some forearm motion into simple finger flexes.  It's very efficient... except almost nobody uses a keyboard that way.  Most people have the keyboard up on top of their desk, usually shoved up against the monitor to get some desk space.

That's not the optimal position for typing, but that's not going to change, at least for me.  So, with the keyboard up and forward, the tilt and curvature are not just wrong, but the opposite of how your fingers naturally want to move.  A proper keyboard should have a convex curve and be tilted forward, making use of how your fingers naturally curl.

Most of the "ergo" designs carry the same usability defects forward, with variations.  Sometimes they'll add tenting, which I think is generally a good idea, but they still require unnatural finger movements.

I have strong opinions on key layout and switch types, but they're secondary to the two basic shapes of the keyboard being wrong to start with.

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
For me, a Tex Shinobi is already essentially perfect.

- track point
- lower profile keys
- built in palm rest
- normal layout
- a few convenient media keys / navigation keys / etc.

It's basically a Thinkpad keyboard that uses discrete switches
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,