Author Topic: Women's clothing fitting  (Read 6938 times)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Women's clothing fitting
« on: Sat, 23 July 2022, 14:01:41 »
I'm looking for a pink jacket and needless to say options in the men's section are rather limited

If I buy this one which is sold as "38-40inch bust" is there going to be significantly more material in the front meaning it wont go round the back half of my 38ish" chest?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Women's clothing fitting
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 23 July 2022, 14:31:36 »
When's Sorange's RuPaul's Drag Race Debut ??

Must Tape...
   :cool:

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 23 July 2022, 14:38:09 »
I probably can't help you, but the women's jacket may be cut smaller in the shoulders and (which would exacerbate) have somewhat shorter sleeves.

Denim jackets are great and I have worn them regularly since I was a teen, but always in standard blue and standard men's sizes. I can tell you for sure that men's Levi's have great pockets and women's don't ....

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 23 July 2022, 14:52:35 »
Real talk, male to female clothing measurement conversions need to be more available.
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 23 July 2022, 15:22:23 »
I probably can't help you, but the women's jacket may be cut smaller in the shoulders and (which would exacerbate) have somewhat shorter sleeves

Denim jackets are great and I have worn them regularly since I was a teen, but always in standard blue and standard men's sizes. I can tell you for sure that men's Levi's have great pockets and women's don't ....
The sleeves would be coming off anyway, not sure how smaller shoulders would look - not something I had considered.

I wont ask what you were trying to put in a denim wearing woman's pocket!

When's Sorange's RuPaul's Drag Race Debut ??
Unlikely to get on TV, but it would potentially be worn August 11-14th.  Could get it on youtube...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 23 July 2022, 16:10:17 »
Seller sent an offer of 33% off, I am now the proud owner of a bright pink jacket that may or may not fit :confused:
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 23 July 2022, 18:27:36 »
Seller sent an offer of 33% off, I am now the proud owner of a bright pink jacket that may or may not fit :confused:
Welcome to the wonderful world of buying clothing online! It sucks, and nothing ever fits, but when it works... it's so not worth the cost.
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 23 July 2022, 19:53:55 »
Welcome to the wonderful world of buying clothing online! It sucks, and nothing ever fits, but when it works... it's so not worth the cost.
Hopefully you're wrong, I'm pretty normal size and shape so usually a chest measurement is enough to buy a top but that's mens clothes.

Worst case it was <$20 shipped so I can probably dye it black and sell it on for a profit, or just hold it until Winter when a girl wants to wear long sleeves.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 23 July 2022, 21:28:27 »
Real talk, male to female clothing measurement conversions need to be more available.
Real, real talk..

Even women can't trust the measurements.
A size 4 from one manufacturer is a size 12 for another, even when they offer specific measurements they can be off quite a lot, and that's before you add in Chinese fake sizes.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 24 July 2022, 07:46:43 »

Chinese fake sizes.

I seldom buy clothes online but I found a couple of great T-shirts on ebay from China. I am a big guy and usually buy 2XL but an XL can fit if it is a generous cut.

My orders were for a 2XL and a 3XL (the largest that they offered) but when they arrived they were way too small. I could manage to get them on, but they were both far tighter than is comfortable to me.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 24 July 2022, 10:54:06 »
I seldom buy clothes online but I found a couple of great T-shirts on ebay from China. I am a big guy and usually buy 2XL but an XL can fit if it is a generous cut.

My orders were for a 2XL and a 3XL (the largest that they offered) but when they arrived they were way too small. I could manage to get them on, but they were both far tighter than is comfortable to me.
If I'm buying from the US I know to go down a size so I wouldn't be surprised if you have to go two or three bigger in Asian sizing as (without meaning any "racist" offence) they are generally smaller so it makes sense their clothing sizes are too.  Otherwise many of them would have to be like my adult sister who wears mostly age 14 clothes

Even women can't trust the measurements.
A size 4 from one manufacturer is a size 12 for another, even when they offer specific measurements they can be off quite a lot, and that's before you add in Chinese fake sizes.
I don't understand why womens clothes sizing uses exclusively even numbers, nor why the US scale starts at 0 and the UK's at 6 when everything else quite reasonably starts at 1 and I don't think I want to - hence asking about "fitting" rather than "sizing".

The only way your example works is if one is a UK 12 and the other a US 4 - drop 1 size same as men then shift 3?  Surely no-one is stupid enough to buy at a shop because they can fit in a size 4 when everywhere else they're a 12, they might get away with one size but definitely not four.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 24 July 2022, 11:49:14 »
Possibly to assuage people's fear of corpulence? For in the example of those shirts in the US "2XL" may well *seem* smaller than "54-56" (inches around the chest) and/or "18" (inches around the neck).

But there is no incentive for sellers - they would rather that you buy something that doesn't fit - because then they get another go at your credit card.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 24 July 2022, 17:34:53 »
All I know is every clothing I order from China is always 1-2 sizes too small, regardless of the stated size.
Used clothing is difficult too due to shrinkage unknown.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 24 July 2022, 21:51:15 »
In china they don't use dryers, so generally cloths are cut smaller because they don't shrink when they sundry them, vs the way we put them in dryers.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 25 July 2022, 03:54:05 »
In china they don't use dryers, so generally cloths are cut smaller because they don't shrink when they sundry them, vs the way we put them in dryers.
Interesting!  I avoid dryers (why pay for some something that will happen anyway?) so maybe I wouldn't need to size up :)

All I know is every clothing I order from China is always 1-2 sizes too small, regardless of the stated size.
Sounds about right.  Are you a natural or dryer dryer?

Possibly to assuage people's fear of corpulence? For in the example of those shirts in the US "2XL" may well *seem* smaller than "54-56" (inches around the chest) and/or "18" (inches around the neck).
I don't know, "extra" implies more and needing to add a number means multiple times more and you're still reaching to the back of the rack (or the bottom of the dropdown) so there's no escaping that your clothes are bigger than most even without putting a number on it.  Of course you may be big because you live in the gym or have giant genes but surely you know if you're "corpulent".
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 25 July 2022, 07:38:37 »

Of course you may be big because you live in the gym or have giant genes but surely you know if you're "corpulent".

I am a little over 6 feet (1.85 m) and about 225 lb (100 kg / 16 stone) and in decently good health for my age, so I don't think of myself as too far outside of the norm for a modern American male. And I like for my clothes to fit loosely. I am perhaps 5% larger than my father and almost exactly the same size as his grandfather (my grandfather was a small man).

Not that they care, but I doubt that I will ever buy any more clothes online from China, so it lost them a customer to not make a product that suits me. (I was going to say "fabricate" but I can't seem to avoid clothing-esque puns). As for the shrinkage, that doesn't apply here because these are some strange (almost slimy) artificial fabric that I find very uncomfortable.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 25 July 2022, 09:51:35 »
I am a little over 6 feet (1.85 m) and about 225 lb (100 kg / 16 stone) and in decently good health for my age, so I don't think of myself as too far outside of the norm for a modern American male.
That was meant as a general "you" aimed at "people's fear of corpulence", didn't mean to question your size.  But as you mention it you're a bit taller than me and 33% heavier - easily done as I'm small boned and it looks like I only do leg day at the gym (30" waist and can wear a medium shirt but have to buy large for the length)  If you're only adding the 2 because you like a loose fit then I agree, you're the big end of average.  You know that and that was my point - if I needed an XL shirt I'd know I had a problem, even though it's a perfectly normal size :thumb:
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 25 July 2022, 17:40:40 »
]I don't understand why womens clothes sizing uses exclusively even numbers, nor why the US scale starts at 0 and the UK's at 6 when everything else quite reasonably starts at 1 and I don't think I want to - hence asking about "fitting" rather than "sizing".

The only way your example works is if one is a UK 12 and the other a US 4 - drop 1 size same as men then shift 3?  Surely no-one is stupid enough to buy at a shop because they can fit in a size 4 when everywhere else they're a 12, they might get away with one size but definitely not four.
It's called vanity sizing.

Some women are INSANE about sizes, storming out of stores for being told even their size may be larger than they want. Shoe stores are even known for swapping boxes and labels in order to make these people happy. Would you want to be a minimum wager worker and having to tell Karen-zilla that she's no longer a size 6 shoe but instead a size 9?

Some companies have noticed this and decided to capitalize on it by changing the numbers just to make the women happy, now she can proudly boast how she's "the same size I was in high school!"
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 26 July 2022, 05:21:35 »
Surely no-one is stupid enough to buy at a shop because they can fit in a size 4 when everywhere else they're a 12, they might get away with one size but definitely not four.
It's called vanity sizing.

Some women are INSANE about sizes, storming out of stores for being told even their size may be larger than they want.
Please see above - they know and everyone they know knows, it's stupid and pathetic and I would have no problem saying so (and no doubt getting fired for it)

Sounds like the best way to do it is to print the label at time of purchase - that way you can also sell a "size 4" dress to an anorexic person to "prove" they're still "fat" too.  After all this is all about short term profit, you can't shift the scale every generation and if you did Karen won't want to admit her feet shrank because that happens to old people so she'd have to shop elsewhere.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline jamster

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 26 July 2022, 06:55:19 »

You realise that this now needs to be followed up with a photo?

On the odd occasion I've tried womens stuff on before. It's all over the place- weirdly loose, weirdly tight, but sometimes it fits better than the mens version.

This is more randomly made up rubbish.

(Written from China)
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 July 2022, 06:58:22 by jamster »

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 26 July 2022, 07:52:52 »

This is more randomly made up rubbish.

(Written from China)

/headscratch..  what are you talking about jamster.  Dryer use is extremely rare in China, relative to what is "THE DEFAULT" in the usa.

The vast majority 90%+ of Citizens there sun dry.

Some families might have what's kind of like a hair dryer attachment to a cloth enclosure, but these are only used in the very rainy seasons, and they've only come into popularity recently last 5-7 years.

Tp4 has ran huge shipments of clothing before,  this is first hand knowledge 4 TP. their cloths are cut differently even if the TARGET size is the same.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 26 July 2022, 07:55:46 »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 26 July 2022, 07:57:30 »
You realise that this now needs to be followed up with a photo?
I was hoping no-one would ask, but you're probably right.  Assuming I can get it on while still being able to operate a camera

Non-tracked shipping, could arrive in 30 mins or not for days...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 27 July 2022, 07:37:32 »
And the answer is - it's a bit tight but close enough.  Sorry for the crappy pic but it's all you're getting

289440-0

Edit:  Just realised I have long enough hair that guys are gonna be checking out my ass while wearing this
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 July 2022, 07:45:35 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 27 July 2022, 08:11:48 »
Are you going to be showing any belly button?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 27 July 2022, 09:03:55 »
Are you going to be showing any belly button?
Arms down it just about reaches the waistband of my trousers.   No idea if that's the right length or it's a women size issue but it wont be worn alone so not a problem.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline jamster

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 02 August 2022, 06:03:51 »
Fantastic jacket- hot fuchsia!

Offline iri

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 04 August 2022, 15:49:45 »
Hey suicidal_orange, it's a nice jacket. And your visible parts look good. And I promise if I ever see you, I'm not going to check out your bum :D
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 04 August 2022, 15:59:44 »
And the answer is - it's a bit tight but close enough.  Sorry for the crappy pic but it's all you're getting
Show Image

(Attachment Link)

Edit:  Just realised I have long enough hair that guys are gonna be checking out my ass while wearing this
Show Image

Ngl with that hair and face shape you could pull of a pretty sick Postal Dude cosplay.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 04 August 2022, 16:09:52 »
Ngl with that hair and face shape you could pull of a pretty sick Postal Dude cosplay.
I had never heard of this character but having looked him up you're right, only slight issue is my beard will not cover the front of my chin but it's close enough.  Oh and it would have to be cold - no way I'm wearing a trench coat otherwise
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 09 April 2024, 22:34:27 »
I'm always super jealous of all the styles women get to choose from, and the men's section is like 1/6th the size with all the same boring ****.
Honestly I've bought women's sleepwear, robes, and jackets(super nice leather jacket for $60!) just because the price was right and they were super nice. You haven't truly lounged around the house until you've lounged around the house in satin-lined velvet pants.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 09 April 2024, 22:37:26 »
I'm always super jealous of all the styles women get to choose from, and the men's section is like 1/6th the size with all the same boring ****.
Honestly I've bought women's sleepwear, robes, and jackets(super nice leather jacket for $60!) just because the price was right and they were super nice. You haven't truly lounged around the house until you've lounged around the house in satin-lined velvet pants.

Tp4 do boxer + tshirt. Pants are uncomfortable in relative terms.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 09 April 2024, 22:41:35 »

Tp4 do boxer + tshirt. Pants are uncomfortable in relative terms.

Show Image

I like a nice light robe, and some silky very loose pants that rub my junk just perfect. Clothes I could never wear out of the house.
I'd love to get a real nice smoking jacket so I can chill in total luxurious comfort, but still look like I'm hosting an upper class party. That way when I drink with my cat I can feel high class.