Author Topic: 15 inch laptop recommedation?  (Read 1704 times)

Offline Naweo

15 inch laptop recommedation?
« on: Sun, 13 March 2022, 15:08:40 »
I am looking at laptops, microsoft surfaces.

I kinda wanna avoid apple just out of not wanting to use the operating system.

Must Haves:

15 inch or higher
hdmi port
Slick

Ideally:

Touchscreen
IPS
1080p

Mainly just for business and streaming. I do not imagine playing games on it.
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 March 2022, 15:10:43 by Naweo »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: 15 inch laptop recommedation?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 13 March 2022, 15:25:08 »
Attract females at the library laptop,  or can you get away with toshiba satellite, the official laptop of #ronery4ever.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 13 March 2022, 15:42:19 »
There is only one laptop I'd buy - the framework.  Too small and not touchscreen but the 3:2 screen is made for work unlike a widescreen so maybe it's of interest.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 13 March 2022, 15:49:23 »

like some things about it, but it's very expensive for that CPU config.

Amd's new APU wipes the floor against intel's igpu/ulv

Offline Naweo

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 13 March 2022, 15:59:35 »
Attract females at the library laptop,  or can you get away with toshiba satellite, the official laptop of #ronery4ever.

Heh, always attract females laptop.

I was looking at HP x360, a bit more thin/slick which also suits nicely to pack for traveling.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 13 March 2022, 16:29:16 »
m1 mac if you need something today.

If you can wait, something with amd's 6000 apus.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 13 March 2022, 21:52:32 »
Framework's a bit bleeding edge for most people, then there's the cost. If you can do it, great, but it's hefty price to pay right now.
Mac is also attractive, but only if you can use Mac or Linux.

If you have zero plans on gaming, look at older, used Lenovos, they're always a good option for office laptops otherwise I'd recommend looking at the Dell XPS or Asus AMD line.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 15 March 2022, 06:05:17 »
There is only one laptop I'd buy - the framework.  Too small and not touchscreen but the 3:2 screen is made for work unlike a widescreen so maybe it's of interest.

Oooh, haven't seen those before, very interesting concept.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline yui

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 15 March 2022, 07:36:11 »
sharring my experience:
- HPE: great repairability, kinda chunky, i had a few pro and elitebooks, the 3 weakspots seems to be wifi cards, motherboard and hdd (my elitebook 8570P has had 3 motherboard and one hdd die in the 10 years i used it, all the 3 i own had the wifi card die at some point) models i have experience with: 8570P, 8570W, 4540s and my sister's 455 G1 and X2 (G1 or G2 do not remember) and Zbooks G1 and G2 at work
- Lenovo: good repairability, we had a few at work and they worked rather well, although they are full to the brim with junk software from the factory. i can't remember the model names
- Toshiba: extremely poor repairability, we had 2 at work, both died of hdd failure just past warranty and were close to impossible to open to replace the dead drive, i do not remember the models either.
- HP (not E): meh repairability, hdd and ram are user replaceable on all i seen and the shells opens much easier than on the toshibas i had the displeasure of working on. model: 2 old DV7-something (one had a dead motherboard after 12 years of use) and and old hp-compac.
- Dell: good repairability, all my experience with Dells are that they look and feel like cost cut HPEs, they do seem to fail a bit more often and cut corners with random capability, all my HPE have GB Ethernet while my 2 years newer Dell only have Fast Ethernet for example. models: E5550 and Precision 7550 at work
- Asus: unknown repairability: can have some stupid design flaws, all the ones we had at work died before the end of warranty because the screen when opened blocked the exhaust port fully, forcing the fan to spin up and the PC to heat up causing a premature failure of the fan, i do not remember the model and not all of them have those stupid ideas, but all of the ones i saw where rather flimsy, i never had the experience of fixing one because they died in warranty or did not die at all. i do not remember the model names either.
- MSI: good repairability, a few friends of mine have MSI, all ROG though, they seems decently built, and from what i saw easy enough to open and change the hdd. the one we upgraded was a GL63 i do not remember the models for my other friends.

and although i have not tried it because i do not have that kind of money, the framework seems like the best laptop for the long run, built to be repaired so should be much better than HPE or Dell for that, if repairability is something that matters to you at all. enterprise grade laptop seems to often try to be fairly maintainable so often come easier to repair too, if you do not care then i would not recommend dell if you like good keyboards, theirs is garbage on all the laptops of their i have tried they always feel the worse of all of what i have tried (on laptops).
hope this opinion dump is of use :)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 15 March 2022, 11:00:41 »
Bit more...
And this is why I hate buying laptops, it's a minefield.

Steer clear of standard consumer grade stuff, stick to pro/executive/corp/enterprise models. Unfortunately most of these have GARBAGE sound quality, particularly Lenovo.
Add to this, skip super ultra high end exotic limited edition with exclusive _____, those always have fewer sales and if there is a problem they'll simply ignore it. It's easy to think you deserve priority because you got "the best" but the reality is you lack the numbers to force them to do what they're supposed to do. This attitude is not uncommon or limited to one or two manufacturers.

Once you know it's working and stable, do a refresh and ditch the bloat.
Warning, the latest Win10/11 now require an MS account to do the initial setup but the network drivers may not work. There's workarounds, but be prepared it can be an issue.

Also if you can, avoid buying direct.
If you buy it from a reseller (amazon, local store) and there's an issue right away you take it back and they hand you another. If you buy direct it has to be sent back and then you may get a refurb weeks later. This advice holds for cell phones as well. Never buy direct if you can help it.

To go along with what Yui said, I had a bunch of Toshibas that said they were gigabit on the spec sheet but were in fact 10/100 (fast ethernet). With wireless becoming more common, this is actually becoming more and more common it seems. Check reviews, not just manufacturer specs.

Also beware, quite a few touchscreen models have epoxied on hinges (not just the screen), this goes for Lenovo, Dell and HP, possibly others (including a few corp models!). If it's super thin and touchscreen, beware. Note most companies will NOT warranty this, they will blame you and when it happens it almost always destroys the screen in the process due to how the hinges get placed. Check teardown videos or look up replacement hinges and lids, should be easy to tell. In general it's not a matter of if they will fail because as the glue ages it becomes brittle and then it takes almost nothing to break (usually around the 2-3 year mark). It's hundreds of dollars ($300-$800) to repair and can take weeks to get the parts because everyone needs them at the same time. Your first instinct is to swap the entire lid, screen and all, but you have no idea how good that one is as well so you pay a premium because it's the "easy" fix, but you also have no idea how long it too will last.

One last one, again regarding warranty.
Some companies are good in one country and terrible elsewhere. Asus for example was decent in the the US but HORRIBLE in the E.U., so you may want to check how service is where you're located.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 15 March 2022, 11:13:43 »
those $200 x280s,  if it breaks, welp, just buy another one. not even gonna fix it.

Offline yui

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 15 March 2022, 14:23:14 »
bouncing on what Leslieann said on countries, for those who do not know i am in France so all of what i said apply to france or maybe europe, i did not know Asus was good in the US, and one of my HPE is a US import and i did not really see a difference so i did not know it could make a difference

and i love how TP4 is a poor with huge amount of disposable income, never going to stop making me question where does he find all that money to buy many high end monitors and throw away 200$ laptops :)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 15 March 2022, 14:25:22 »

money to buy many high end monitors

And consider $1500 call girls to be "mid-range"?
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 15 March 2022, 17:53:31 »
Tp4 is a large data set,  he does not participate in any unscrupulous and/or illegal activities.