Author Topic: What are you watching? The thread about what you're watching.  (Read 395702 times)

Offline PadawanGeek

Re: What are you watching? The thread about what you're watching.
« Reply #1650 on: Sun, 25 December 2022, 14:46:32 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 December 2022, 17:01:58 by PadawanGeek »

Offline iri

« Reply #1651 on: Sun, 25 December 2022, 15:14:01 »
I wish a fish hospital were a thing
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #1652 on: Sun, 25 December 2022, 15:19:42 »
We are mammals, not fish, not birds, not insects.....yes, some species of fish are hatched in rivers, they live their lives in the sea, and yes, some do change their sex, but this is a naturally occurring biological change. They do not need to go to, say, a fish hospital somewhere to have their sex changed. Neither do they need to take hormones to suppress their natural body chemistry. When it's a naturally occurring process, it's natural process to me and there's no if and but about it.

Now, as to trans, as I'd stated, I'm for it, if a guy identifies as a woman and wants to effects the change, by all means do it. It's his/her life to live as he/she sees fit. It's when they have a louder voice in legislature that it seems they have more rights than a regular person is where I have a divergent in. By all men, a trans can identify as a female, but that does not necessarily endow her with all the attributes that makes a woman, a woman.

But, I grow tire of defending my point of view, in that I have nothing against the LGBTQ+ community, though I'm being accused of it by ella. So, I'll retire from this forum for a while, or perhaps longer....regardless, I wish all Geek Hacker good tidings and Merry Christmas. Goodbye....

All human fetuses start out physically female, but then the wii develops later on for males.

So even when it comes to humans, depending on what timeline you want to put a box around, gender is not entirely clear cut.

In the same way that we share 70% of our genome with the Plant Kingdom.   Are we all slightly gay trees ?   The answer is actually Kinda, YES.

So, this modern debate is really just down to the imprecision in our language base. Nothing's physically changed,  the non-binary humans existed, before we had the social dialect to describe them. 

You keep yourself simple, and identify as male or female,  other people feel strongly about identifying as a non-binary, it's not entirely different than someone who wishes to choose their own name.

and back to your SPORTs debate,  traditionally we've had binary sports segregation, so now we can have non-binary sections.

But the other option is, sports is dumb, and only dumb people follow/play sports, get on my level, get on the computer, start typing.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1653 on: Mon, 26 December 2022, 17:37:50 »
rewatching House Dragon right now,  it's soooo dark.. all the scenes, very very conservative use of hdr highlights, most scenes are <100nits.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #1654 on: Mon, 26 December 2022, 17:56:41 »
I don't care what anyone says, The Batman was long and boring and corny. They could have easily cut the film down by 40 minutes, so many scenes were unneeded or drawn out. No real chemistry between the characters, a lot of really stupid eye-rolling lines.
An absolute slog to get through those 3 hours.

Offline John McCormick

« Reply #1655 on: Mon, 26 December 2022, 19:25:42 »
Just watched Triangle of Sadness. it was both hilarious , gross, a little depressing and a good unique take on humanity. Also felt like 2-3 films in one.  Go in blind and you'll be in a better position to experience fully.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1656 on: Mon, 26 December 2022, 20:03:05 »
The original Ju-On (japan the grudge) in HDR, looks amazing.. very very grain

294903-0

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1657 on: Thu, 29 December 2022, 09:21:04 »
Last night at a party The Peripheral was highly recommended to me by an old friend.

Does anybody have comments on it?

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #1658 on: Thu, 29 December 2022, 19:46:53 »
Violent Night.
I don't know who is the audience of this kind of movie. Its been made like a Christmas movie for kids, but with violent scenes of murdering people.
Overall, it wasn't a good movie, I did not like it, was watching just to finish it. It is a disappointment, as I was looking forward to this one...

294941-0
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline korrelate

• iubeo stultum esse libenter
« Reply #1659 on: Thu, 29 December 2022, 22:19:57 »
I don't care what anyone says, The Batman was long and boring and corny. They could have easily cut the film down by 40 minutes, so many scenes were unneeded or drawn out. No real chemistry between the characters, a lot of really stupid eye-rolling lines.

Amen, Brother! Tell IT! :thumb:
I consider this movie as "weapon's grade Meh".

Topre REALFORCE

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1660 on: Thu, 29 December 2022, 23:02:00 »

Amen, Brother! Tell IT! :thumb:
I consider this movie as "weapon's grade Meh".

it was pretty boring.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1661 on: Fri, 30 December 2022, 08:50:49 »

No real chemistry

"weapon's grade Meh".

it was pretty boring.

I haven't seen the new one, but as a big fan of Batman in the comics (which has had a few great runs of 10-20 issues over the course of decades) before the Adam West TV version came out (when I was a young teen), I must say that most screen depictions have been awful. I was dismayed that the 1960s version was played as a campy comedy, but at least it didn't take itself seriously.

It was surprising that the franchise lay dormant in Hollywood for so many years (while the comics were thriving) and the comebacks were astonishingly abominable given large budgets and the enduring popularity and depth of the character.

In my opinion, only the Christian Bale movies were any good, even though they were very different from my conception of Bruce Wayne/Batman.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #1663 on: Sat, 31 December 2022, 02:31:27 »

In my opinion, only the Christian Bale movies were any good, even though they were very different from my conception of Bruce Wayne/Batman.

Agreed for the live action Batman films. Some of the animated movies are excellent though, and I do have a huge soft spot for Nicholson's Joker and Devito's Penguin.

Offline phinix

« Reply #1664 on: Sat, 31 December 2022, 12:42:02 »
Now get your ass to Mars.

(Attachment Link)

What movie is that? Total Recall?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline phinix

Offline phinix

« Reply #1668 on: Sun, 01 January 2023, 10:49:16 »
Now get your ass to Mars.

(Attachment Link)

What movie is that? Total Recall?

phinix pretty sharp

I loved that one :)

the italian 4k disc is 18gb larger than the american disc, higher bitrate/quality

Show Image

wow, seriously? Why would they do that? Barbaric ;) I would assume that all versions are same, no matter what country / region its released.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1669 on: Sun, 01 January 2023, 12:08:25 »
wow, seriously? Why would they do that? Barbaric ;) I would assume that all versions are same, no matter what country / region its released.

it comes down to the localized release company.  it's basically like the mob,  they send the mastering data out,  and the local disc mob, decide how they're going to compress the data,  important, highly detailed scenes get a higher bitrate, less important scenes get a lower bitrate. The guy in charge of this is the Compressionist, a real job, and he decides how it goes onto the disc.

Some discs are the same, but other companies may release their own take on it based off of different masters of the same movie.  This is why Germany can release the 4K Ironman Trilogy years before the american disney disc.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1670 on: Sun, 01 January 2023, 22:05:12 »
Almost halfway through The Peripheral and it is getting intense. Has nobody else watched it?
I don't know where they are going with it but it is bound to get more out of control.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1671 on: Mon, 02 January 2023, 00:45:55 »
starting the first episode now,  seems like sooped up version of existenz/ sword art online (for nonweebs)

Offline phinix

« Reply #1672 on: Mon, 02 January 2023, 14:35:39 »
starting the first episode now,  seems like sooped up version of existenz/ sword art online (for nonweebs)
OMG, please do not mention existenz...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1673 on: Mon, 02 January 2023, 15:06:23 »

y phinix, you no like existenz ?

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1674 on: Mon, 02 January 2023, 15:29:50 »
I just finished watching The Bear on Hulu. It was so so good.

I have also been watching Tulsa King on Paramount+. I am from OK so it is cool to see places I recognize.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1675 on: Mon, 02 January 2023, 16:01:48 »

please do not mention existenz

Cronenberg films exist in a time and space of their own.
He delights in horror and bodily mutilation for little more than the sake of disturbing his audience.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #1676 on: Tue, 03 January 2023, 10:01:13 »
Watched "Violent Night" - decent brainless Christmas action flick, added to my holiday movie line-up now (Nightmare Before Christmas, Die Hard, Christmas Vacation, Jingle All The Way, & Scrooged).

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline phinix

« Reply #1677 on: Tue, 03 January 2023, 12:00:28 »

y phinix, you no like existenz ?

Show Image

Hey tp :) I think we discussed that movie few pages ago - it is pretty hideous, didn't like it at all  :p

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1678 on: Tue, 03 January 2023, 15:14:10 »
Just watch'd   the Menu.

It's... pretty good, photography's good, plot is simple, not deliberately contrived, stayed interesting stayed focused, did not rely on gore or shock.

One could say it's a little too medium all the way through, but honestly, that's better than the stochastic abhorrence that's become our end game cinema.

The ending is weaker, a bit too-little clever,  one would hope there's a director's cut at some point with alternate.

Overall, well worth watching.  /lives up to hype

Offline phinix

« Reply #1680 on: Tue, 03 January 2023, 18:24:18 »
Just watch'd   the Menu.

It's... pretty good, photography's good, plot is simple, not deliberately contrived, stayed interesting stayed focused, did not rely on gore or shock.

One could say it's a little too medium all the way through, but honestly, that's better than the stochastic abhorrence that's become our end game cinema.

The ending is weaker, a bit too-little clever,  one would hope there's a director's cut at some point with alternate.

Overall, well worth watching.  /lives up to hype

Fantastic, sounds good - I want to watch it as soon as possible.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1681 on: Tue, 03 January 2023, 19:40:53 »
just finished peripheral episode 2,  pacing is good, nothing cheesy, not sure if their accent is forced at times, it sounded odd.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1682 on: Tue, 03 January 2023, 22:31:52 »
Hrrrm... it feels like the world building in the peripheral takes so much emphasis, the characters themselves are kind of pointless.    but in another way, this is a good perspective to have, since, it is of the correct scale,  a collective calamity should always take precedence as we increasingly need to look beyond ourselves and the singular human condition.

just finished episode 4,  everything's quite gud'.   there could be a bit more pew pew pew pew, buhhhh, forgivable as part of season 1.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1683 on: Wed, 04 January 2023, 01:46:44 »
ooof... supr tired.. but finally finished..  yea it's a good show,   some plot elements were over complicated and it was difficult to uphold their importance, because this world possesses within itself the technology for infinite restarts, that being the case, no one is at any real risk, only a slight variation in how long any task takes, but even then it seems irrelevant since they have the capacity for a near form of immortality.

Offline phinix

« Reply #1684 on: Wed, 04 January 2023, 12:58:33 »
The Menu.
I loved it :)
I had tears in my eyes watching the moment of making the burger.
This kind of movie brings back hope for today's cinematography, well made, simple, but keep your eyes stared at the screen, not tiring.

295164-0
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 January 2023, 16:41:23 by phinix »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1685 on: Wed, 04 January 2023, 13:25:29 »

spoiler alert !

either phinix is a drama queen, or tp4 is too AI

Offline iri

« Reply #1686 on: Wed, 04 January 2023, 15:11:54 »
China Town. It was good, but that horrendous ending ruined everything.

Roma (2018). I had three attempts to watch this film. I gave up. If I wanted to look at people living their everyday lives, I'd just look out the window. Infinite dpi, fantastic photography, realistic sound. As much story as the film.

Boy (2010). Some fun.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Wallance. Average.

À bout De Souffle. It's not a masterpiece, it's absolute crap. I realised this when I saw the scene of the policeman's murder. I could have made it better and I know nothing about filmmaking.

Touch Of Evil. Lasted, I think, 30 minutes.

Playtime (1967). The photography is good, but otherwise, it's like watching paint dry.

After Life. Lasted about 20 minutes. There's enough everyday British 'humour' in my life to watch it on screen.

Days Of Heaven. Got bored eventually.

Shoplifters (2018). Wife said it's gross and we stopped watching :(

Seksmisja. Oh finally a nice film!

Les Quatre Cents Coups. Not too bad, though I'm not particularly interested in films about children.

The Conformist. The photography and decorations are glorious. There is a Caesar murder style action scene. It's embarrassingly bad. (Watch Rome the TV show for the state of the art one). The arthousy bits are completely unnecessary. The rest is very average.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #1687 on: Wed, 04 January 2023, 16:05:08 »
Watching through Kaleidoscope on NF. I didn't 'get' what they were doing until the 3rd episode where I started to notice. Today I'm going off-order randomly for the rest of the series.
Good color pallet theming as well. I'm not sure if they use a different digital filter for each episode, or it really is just lighting and object tinting each episode. Pretty sure it's not just a filter, you can tell by looking at the sky usually.

Offline phinix

« Reply #1688 on: Wed, 04 January 2023, 16:41:02 »

spoiler alert !

either phinix is a drama queen, or tp4 is too AI

Show Image

Was it a spoiler? I thought about it and decided that it is not  :)

phinix is not drama queen, but with age become very sensitive on some divine moments in movies, so sometimes phinix shads a tear when feels that moment is showing a passion and love to something - to food, this time :D

Offline phinix

« Reply #1689 on: Wed, 04 January 2023, 16:46:03 »

Seksmisja. Oh finally a nice film!

Yes, this is a one of polish iconic movies :)
I remember I watched it for first time when I was a wee kid, loved it. Well, everyone loves that movie :)
Did you watch it with english subs, or do you understand/know Polish? I know that us - Poles and Russians - understand each other most of the times, but I was never really able to understand most of the russian words :D There are similarities though.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1690 on: Wed, 04 January 2023, 16:54:08 »
phinix is not drama queen, but with age become very sensitive on some divine moments in movies, so sometimes phinix shads a tear when feels that moment is showing a passion and love to something - to food, this time :D

Gandhi ,  that was proper crying film.

Offline iri

« Reply #1691 on: Thu, 05 January 2023, 03:47:43 »
Did you watch it with english subs, or do you understand/know Polish?
Watched the dubbed version. I think I'd understand about 20% if I were to see the original :(

-Ray Bradbury

Offline phinix

« Reply #1692 on: Thu, 05 January 2023, 03:56:24 »
Did you watch it with english subs, or do you understand/know Polish?
Watched the dubbed version. I think I'd understand about 20% if I were to see the original :(

Yeah, same here, despite similarities, I don't understand Russian. Funny thing - people who were born 4-5 years eariler than me, had Russian language as standard in their schools. There was a huge change in 80s and they stopped Russian as an option for foreign language. I learnt English and German instead, in secondary school.

Offline phinix

« Reply #1693 on: Thu, 05 January 2023, 03:58:11 »

Gandhi ,  that was proper crying film.

I remember few more movies that opened my eyes more than others.
I remember Amélie. Was crying like a baby :D

Offline phinix

« Reply #1694 on: Thu, 05 January 2023, 05:08:54 »
Outland, with Sean Connery, from 1981.
Maybe back then it was a good B-grade movie, but nowadays it wasn't good. Maybe not Zardoz level, but not worth to watch :)

295182-0

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1695 on: Thu, 05 January 2023, 08:14:52 »

Sean Connery, from 1981.

Where do you go after being THE original James Bond?

Offline phinix

« Reply #1696 on: Thu, 05 January 2023, 08:56:12 »

Sean Connery, from 1981.

Where do you go after being THE original James Bond?

Yep, only space is left ;)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1697 on: Thu, 05 January 2023, 20:12:24 »
Inside the Mind of a Cat, an amicable documentary on house cat stuff.

Offline phinix

« Reply #1698 on: Fri, 06 January 2023, 03:04:45 »
Inside the Mind of a Cat, an amicable documentary on house cat stuff.

It wasn't that good, I did not learn anything new about cats...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1699 on: Fri, 06 January 2023, 08:16:55 »
It wasn't that good, I did not learn anything new about cats...

that only means phinix was already cat adept.