Author Topic: Does anybody else besides Razer make a dedicated gaming pad w/ mech switches?  (Read 8134 times)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
I keep getting sooo  close to buying an Orbweaver, but I just can't bring myself to trust Razer's QA. I've personally experienced too many faulty products, and read too many horror stories about the Orbweaver's shaky QC that I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger.

Are there any alternatives that utilize a proper mechanical switch?

Offline Findecanor

There are those who (say they) use a single-handed ErgoDox for gaming.
🍉

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
There are those who (say they) use a single-handed ErgoDox for gaming.

yeah, I've thought about that. would have to reverse the assembly for using just the left side... and I'd love to have a dpad/povhat... not sure I'm up that that level of DIY just yet

Offline TomBodet

yeah, I've thought about that. would have to reverse the assembly for using just the left side... and I'd love to have a dpad/povhat... not sure I'm up that that level of DIY just yet

You're having the exact same thoughts as I am.  I've used a flight stick on its side for a while to use the hat as WASD and it took a lot of strain off my fingers.  I'd really like something with good QC, laid out like an Orbweaver with MX Reds or equivalent.  Take something like AcidFire's Axios and make the thumb cluster swappable with a dpad I'd be all over it.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
The thumb D-Pad is in a horrible position for prolonged use, though, so if that's the main reason you're considering getting one, think again: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=73665.0
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
get a programmable number pad?

Offline Zorox

• Tactile FTW <3
I myself using a Orbweaver 2013 with Blue Cherry and it serves me good. My opinion is that it is the best solution as gamepad at this moment, let's see other gaming company would do against it :)

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
I would think you might want to look into maybe getting something from X-Arcade.

I have the Solo Joystick myself.  Don't beat yourself up!  Get the real thing!

http://shop.xgaming.com/collections/arcade-joysticks

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
I have considered building half an ergo dox for a game pad, but I have gotten used to the Orbweaver.  Though I swapped the switches for reds on WASD, and clears elsewhere.  I also swapped the LEDs for blue ones. 

Though Logitech makes a version, but I don't remember what switches are in that one.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline saturnotaku

Though Logitech makes a version, but I don't remember what switches are in that one.

Only one Logitech currently produces is the G13, which has rubber domes.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
I would think you might want to look into maybe getting something from X-Arcade.

I'm looking for something to use along with a mouse, and possibly my existing tenkeyless board, not a full dedicated joystick. I'm thinking maybe an Orbweaver and gutting it for new switches and re-gluing the rubber (Razer's glue situation is untenable, after a year or so it starts oozing all over the place).

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs

I'm looking for something to use along with a mouse, and possibly my existing tenkeyless board, not a full dedicated joystick. I'm thinking maybe an Orbweaver and gutting it for new switches and re-gluing the rubber (Razer's glue situation is untenable, after a year or so it starts oozing all over the place).

What glue are you talking about?  I have had mine for a long time.  Since before the Nostromo got fixed and put into the Synapse software properly.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
What glue are you talking about?  I have had mine for a long time.  Since before the Nostromo got fixed and put into the Synapse software properly.

I've had several (Imperator, Taipan, DeathAdder 2013) different Razer products all start leaking glue from under the rubberized pads after a few months. Reading through the Amazon comments for the Orbweaver, many people have experienced the same thing with it. It doesn't seem to affect older models of Razer hardware, mainly newer ones.

Offline Wolfseye

Re: Does anybody else besides Razer make a dedicated gaming pad w/ mech switches?
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 16:26:01 »
I had Razer Deathadders for many years, different models. The last one I am using now is the Chroma Version. And I had not once issues like that or was unhappy with it. I was actually thinking of the Orbweaver Chroma. There are not many TKL keyboards with Cherry MX Switches I  can find to buy here in Germany, and I dont want to order in other countries. So right now I have the choice between the Ducky Shine 3 Slim with MX Blacks and not even a full handful of others. None of them really makes me wanna have them especially. I want to use my 100% keyboard for all the other non-gaming stuff, and something small for the gaming. But even a TKL would be too much space permanentely on my desk as it is, and I dont care to swap them all the time. So I wonder if a Pad like the Orbweaver Chroma wouldnt do the trick. Never tried such a thing. It would be just enough keys for the Games I need and probably a little more comfortable than a regular keyboard.

I know that Razer recently doesnt have the most fans, and I really dont buy stuff just for it to be cool or fancy. I buy what I like, no matter what its called. If it works for me, I use it. I am thinking of trying out one and wanna see how it is. Of course its not cheap, and I might as well buy / use a TKL for it. But I prefer less space taken on my desk instead of more. I realize many of you here are real Keyboard nerds and all that goes around that. Although I like and practice gaming and PC for quite a while, I am not so specific like most of you. I would probably never worry about adding different keycaps to a keyboard or "tweak" and "mod" it to an extend. I would probably never think of any of that. I like to find stuff that I can work with, even work with good, but thats it.

So, is there anyone  saying that a Orbweaver could be good for the usage I want to have it for, or is anyone here so contra RAZER that there is no way something like this could be recommended.

Cheers

Wolfseye

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (MX-Blue/Green LEDs) - Ducky Shine 3 (MX-Red/Pink LEDs) - Ducky Shine 4 (MX-Blue/Red&Blue LEDs) - CM Storm Quickfire TK (MX-Brown/White LEDs) - TTeSports Poseidon Z RGB (Kailh-Blue)

Offline Dernubenfrieken

Re: Does anybody else besides Razer make a dedicated gaming pad w/ mech switches?
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 06:54:59 »
One issue is that the orbweaver is expensive, and not compatible with aftermarket caps without modification. It also does not use cherry switches for the latest version IIRC. If you can live with those problems, then I would think it would be recommended for you.

Offline Wolfseye

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 07:46:24 »
I dont really care for modding or changing keycaps, I am not that nerdy. ;)

As for the non-MX switches, I know, its  their so called Razer Switches, green or not ? Kinda like a Cherry-MX blue clone or some like that. And yes, it could be cheaper. I am still undecided.

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (MX-Blue/Green LEDs) - Ducky Shine 3 (MX-Red/Pink LEDs) - Ducky Shine 4 (MX-Blue/Red&Blue LEDs) - CM Storm Quickfire TK (MX-Brown/White LEDs) - TTeSports Poseidon Z RGB (Kailh-Blue)

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 08:10:32 »
"Razer" switches are made by Kailh. Depending on the batch, they're either acceptable replacements for Cherry MX, or their a bit inconsistent (I'm talking about weighting of the switch, or the amount of pressure needed to activate).

The clicky Kailh switches are similar to Cherry MX Blues. About the same weight, and about the same sound. I don't notice much of a difference personally. If you get a good batch, they're more or less indistinguishable. I've seen fewer problems with the Orbweaver than their TKL or full size keyboards, however.

FWIW, I have a mechanical Orbweaver with Kailh switches. My GF uses it, but we've had no issues with it at all. I personally use a G13 however.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 22:59:57 »
I was a rabid, loyal Razer fan for years, from back in the Diamondback days. And in the years since I've seen their quality control go way downhill. I've gone through more pieces of Razer gear than I care to remember, and they definitely have cheapened out on manufacturing as their popularity has increased.

Offline building_an_ergo

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 08:58:52 »
I don't see how Half an ergodox is much cheaper than a whole one..

Not much cheaper, but still cheaper.

Half the switches, half the diodes, no need for the i/o expander etc.

Probably cheaper to get a case made for only one side too.

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 09:53:25 »

Not much cheaper, but still cheaper.

Half the switches, half the diodes, no need for the i/o expander etc.

Probably cheaper to get a case made for only one side too.

Hmmm, replace the thumb keys with a thumbstick.... that's not a bad idea at all!

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r