Author Topic: Is bringing my HHKB to school a bad idea?  (Read 8995 times)

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
Is bringing my HHKB to school a bad idea?
« on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 00:56:46 »
Well I was thinking of bring my HHKB to school (High school) for a few classes, because I'd like to use one that I enjoy of course, but I my parents think otherwise and say It'll get stolen, and I'll get ridiculed for bringing my own keyboard.

What is everyone's thoughts? I'm doubting anyone would care let alone pay attention to my keyboard. But they again call be naive to think I would get away without being made fun of.

Maybe I think people care too little about silly things such as what keyboard a classmate uses.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: Is bringing my HHKB to school a bad idea?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 00:59:18 »
Don't be a **** do it. I used to bring my GON to school what the **** do you think people said about that? Ball hard and don't give a **** about no peasants underneath you.
I love Elzy

Offline Jersern

• Australian Keyboard Modding and Repair Service
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 01:01:42 »
I use a blank HHKB at school. People think I am mad buying a keyboard with no legends but I don't care  :cool: and I can type way faster on the HHKB with less noise output in comparison to my laptop. (I absolutely hammer my laptop)

Offline Moralless

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 01:01:57 »
If you think there's a chance of it being stolen/taken away from you then I wouldn't suggest to bring it. However if there's none of that then you shouldn't care what other people think even if they think you're weird, give it a week and no one could give a crap that you brought your keyboard to class.

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 01:02:04 »
I don't care if people say anything, it's more of the parents thinking It'll get stolen or I'll get the **** beat out of me? It sounds insane but they think it will lead to nothing but doom.  :rolleyes:

Offline Moralless

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 01:03:32 »
I don't care if people say anything, it's more of the parents thinking It'll get stolen or I'll get the **** beat out of me? It sounds insane but they think it will lead to nothing but doom.  :rolleyes:

Well you should know how your classmates would act more than your parents would. So just tell them that it will be fine if you think that's the case.

Offline Jersern

• Australian Keyboard Modding and Repair Service
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 01:07:40 »

Beaten over a keyboard :confused:

Ok maybe if you hammered it as much as I hammer my laptop keyboard...................................................... :p

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 02:20:07 »
It probably would get stolen if you let people in on how much it costs, and you leave it unattended, ever. I don't know what your high school is like but I used to take my Gameboy Advance with my entire game collection to one of my old high schools. I haven't had a gameboy advance since then. That said, It's much harder for people to get away with it if you don't let it out of your sight as well.
Typing speed:
More
Visit the Typing Test and try!

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 02:25:53 »
as long as you're protective of it, i think you'll be fine. depending on your school, that may not be enough.

i'd easily recommend it if you were in a college environment, but in hs, the campus is smaller, everyone's bunched up together, and there's a higher chance the people around you could be scummy.
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 02:31:02 »
Just unplug it every time you leave the room. Then it won't get stolen. Get a Grifiti case or something to keep it in.

As for people beating you up over it... Do you seriously live in a ghetto? Who the **** are these morons who will beat people up for bringing a keyboard into school?

These are the kinds of people who end up with careers in McDonalds, and you shouldn't give a **** what they think/do.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Korth

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 02:45:31 »
lol, nobody would want to steal a HHKB, I think.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 03:15:51 »
The general rule for this: If you have to ask, don't do it because you're obviously insecure and you are going to get **** on for this kind of stuff in HS.

Offline tetraslash

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 03:31:21 »
I don't really think there's a need to type more fluidly during high school, and I doubt you're so used to the HHKB that you couldn't type on any other keyboard if it wasn't one.

I figure you're probably looking to bring the keyboard to school to show off, but seeing as to how you're concerned about what could potentially happen to it, you probably shouldn't bring it. The chances of you being ridiculed for bringing a funky looking keyboard is much higher than the potential respect you could gain for it being an expensive keyboard.

/2cents

Offline steve.v

Is bringing my HHKB to school a bad idea?
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 03:40:13 »
1. Get insurance on item
2. Buy a tile, throw it inside the case, sit back and relax.
3. Incase anything happens, grab a few buddies with Apple iOS, download tile app, start searching.
4. For fun, throw a sticker at the back stating, "Item can be tracked wirelessly, steal with caution".
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 February 2015, 03:48:16 by steve.v »

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 06:08:36 »
I personally wouldn't care about what anyone else thought, unless it was a chick I wanted to impress. I've been a nerd for the latter part of my life and at some point it just didn't matter anymore.

I think you shouldn't bring it to school because in highschool you always have some hoodlums capable of thievery.  There's a high chance it'll get stolen, especially after they google 'HHKB' or 'happy hacking keyboard' and find out about the price.

Also, if your parent paid for it, listen to them.  :)
HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE

Offline jamster

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 06:48:31 »
Is it really worth lugging a special keyboard to school for "a few classes"? It's not like it's going to kill you to use a 'plebian' keyboard for a couple of hours, and it's not like your choice of keyboard is going to affect your productivity or livelihood.

Sounds more like a show off thing to me. Which is okay, but if that's the motive be honest with yourself about it ;)

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 08:19:02 »
there might be miniscule "showing off" factor. I don't blame him for wanting to carry around his HHKB. It's one of the more mobile-friendly boards around considering its form and weight. Plus, it looks great and provides the best typing experience. So please...

you try going from HHKB to an old, worn-out rubber dome..
HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE

Offline Sencha

• HHKB Pro
  • MX Reds <3
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 08:27:58 »
Get a little second hand poker for school.....surely you're missing an opportunity to buy more boards :D

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 08:46:25 »
I don't really think there's a need to type more fluidly during high school, and I doubt you're so used to the HHKB that you couldn't type on any other keyboard if it wasn't one.

I figure you're probably looking to bring the keyboard to school to show off, but seeing as to how you're concerned about what could potentially happen to it, you probably shouldn't bring it. The chances of you being ridiculed for bringing a funky looking keyboard is much higher than the potential respect you could gain for it being an expensive keyboard.

/2cents

This is pretty much what I came here to say. I wouldn't bring it because I don't see a need for it. It wont kill you to use the schools ****ty keyboards for the what, like maybe 3 classes a day you have to type.

Also, unless you have a Type-S I doubt that the HHKB going to be quieter than what the school has so you need to consider the possibility of being an annoyance to the people around you.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline Korth

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 08:50:14 »
Or buy yourself a manly 7-pound solid metal panzer keyboard like the SteelSeries Merc to wield two-handed against any bullies who dare threaten you and your tiny HHKB.

Offline faceyourfaces

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 09:03:28 »
I used to bring my KBParadise V60 with Matias Quiet Click switches to school and nobody really cared. I was even thinking about buying a HHKB for the purpose of only using it in school but then came to the realization that I should start saving my money.

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 09:38:09 »
I've tried a few different keyboards in school.

Blues - definitely not. Got kicked out in minutes.

Topres - a tiny bit too loud for most people around me. Got several complaints and half way through the semester the teacher asked me not to type anymore.

Clears - still a bit too loud but less comments than the topre.

Clears with orings - no comments or complaints.

Hopefully this helps you with your mobile boarding

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 11:39:06 »
I bring my HHKB to high school. I have also brought my ErgoDox and poker to school, both with clears, and no one cares. A couple people ask me why, so I just explain why I do bring it. I have been bringing my HHKB for 3 months now, and before that it was mainly my poker 2, and I just put it in a grifiti case and put that in my laptop sleeve of my backpack. Granted, no one puts locks on their lockers in my school, and nothing is ever stolen, but who would steal a keyboard?

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 11:49:28 »
I bring my HHKB to high school. I have also brought my ErgoDox and poker to school, both with clears, and no one cares. A couple people ask me why, so I just explain why I do bring it. I have been bringing my HHKB for 3 months now, and before that it was mainly my poker 2, and I just put it in a grifiti case and put that in my laptop sleeve of my backpack. Granted, no one puts locks on their lockers in my school, and nothing is ever stolen, but who would steal a keyboard?

Just don't tell them how much it's worth.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 12:12:17 »
Well I was thinking of bring my HHKB to school (High school) for a few classes, because I'd like to use one that I enjoy of course, but I my parents think otherwise and say It'll get stolen, and I'll get ridiculed for bringing my own keyboard.

What is everyone's thoughts? I'm doubting anyone would care let alone pay attention to my keyboard. But they again call be naive to think I would get away without being made fun of.

Maybe I think people care too little about silly things such as what keyboard a classmate uses.

1) It is interesting to know GH is not just a bunch of geriatrics.
2) Get your board with you if you want to be bullied.
3) The keyboard may get trashed if you lost it. People do not care about boards outside this small world.

Offline brimborion

• Likes Matias Switches
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 12:25:45 »
Bring a HHKB lite to school. No one will complain about the noise, and when they break it while beating you up in the hallway you aren't out as much money.
Buckling Spring: 42H1292,  1391401, Unicomp Linux 101, Customizer 104 | Cherry Blue: Rosewill RK-9000, Das Keyboard S Pro | Cherry Black: Wyse/Link 840358-30| Rubber Dome: various Key Tronic, HHKB Lite, HHKB Lite 2, KB-8923, 71G4644 | Topre: Type Heaven | ALPS: Matias Mini Tactile Pro, 2xKBP V60

Offline tetraslash

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 14:38:58 »
I agree with the others here stating that your classmates probably wouldn't care about your keyboard and would only be tempted to look up its details and especially price after you speak about it (some may get curious and ask you about it). Unfortunately, that probably won't go very well for you over the long-run if you have some "problematic" classmates.

Unless you keep it near you at all times, you may risk it getting becoming "lost" (yeah right, more like stolen).

Now in terms of whether you may receive complaints about the keyboard, I think it really depends on what your teachers and classmates are like. Back in the days of my high school, my teachers (for the classes that involved computers) were pretty friendly and had a good sense of humour. If I were to bring in an HHKB, they would certainly view it as a little fun toy and wouldn't mind me using it. It also helps to be at the top of the class (an A student with a good personality) as teachers leave you to do your own thing.

I had my fix of rowdy classmates, but the majority of the class was perfectly harmless. It helps to be friends with them.

But I still probably wouldn't bring a keyboard to school. Reason: It lacks utility. You attend your classes, do your lessons, and then you leave. School isn't really enjoyable in the first place, so what's the point of using a fancy keyboard to make yourself feel better?

Similarly, I recalled when some students brought in their laptops for English class, but soon dropped that idea. I tried it once myself. Laptops lacked utility, and it was overly risky lugging around a laptop in a school filled with teenage students. Nobody cared whether their classmates brought one as they felt that they were just trying to show off.

Anyhow, let's all agree on one fact: High school doesn't matter.

Offline KRKS

• Your friendly neighbourhood umbrella
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 15:48:20 »
It really depends on your school and your situation(and how much they think you can beat them up), but I ain't daring enough to bring anything over ten bucks to mine.
The increasing power of Massdrop WILL kill the community group buys - don't come crying to me after it happens when you're too stupid to see it now. Join me in saving the community!

MD = NO $, NO EXCEPTIONS

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 16:04:29 »
But I still probably wouldn't bring a keyboard to school. Reason: It lacks utility. You attend your classes, do your lessons, and then you leave. School isn't really enjoyable in the first place, so what's the point of using a fancy keyboard to make yourself feel better?
Unless you (a) spend a lot of time in labs or (b) do transcription.

Sure, I've been out of high school for quite a while, and I was one of the few people, who pioneered bringing a laptop in classes. It was generally appreciated that I or a classmate shared actually legible notes with others.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 16:07:21 »
I take my Kingsaver to school/work daily and occasionally my HHKB. If people ridicule you, that's their issue.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Zapheo

• There's nothing that I wouldn't do.
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 16:09:32 »
If you feel there is immediate danger by bringing it to school I wouldn't recommend it. If there isn't I would recommend not caring about what other people think and do what makes you happy.
I need more keyboards to hold all of these keycaps.

Offline Suppo

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 16:40:55 »
Do 'nerds' still get bashed at school?

I'm going to assume your highschool is going to be a bit like mine, where you leave your belongings in your 'locker' and 'bag' in between classes. If someone was desperate enough, they'd probably gank it without a problem whilst you were at class. That would be my biggest concern.

If you're worried about being judged by others, just, don't.

Maybe if your keyboard was being a constant distraction (Clicky) then I'd be concerned, because, after all, you are in an education environment where some people, (contrary to belief) do care about their education and want to be able to do work without any stupid distractions.

I've brought my Ducky Zero DK2108 (MX Red) to university before, and I don't think it really caught anyone's attention or distracted them.

Offline BrewCaps

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 17:53:11 »
Let me try it!   ;D

Offline tetraslash

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 18:40:04 »

Sure, I've been out of high school for quite a while, and I was one of the few people, who pioneered bringing a laptop in classes. It was generally appreciated that I or a classmate shared actually legible notes with others.
As I mentioned, it really depends on the classroom environment and the people you're around (including the teachers). Classmates may be more or less appreciative of devices like laptops. I can say for sure that my classmates couldn't care less.

I will say that post-secondary education is an entirely different experience altogether, and I would totally agree with you for those points you stated if we're to talk about that. But this is high school; a totally mixed bag.

Anyway, I didn't see a point for laptops in high school. Your mileage may have varied.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 19:29:01 »

As I mentioned, it really depends on the classroom environment and the people you're around (including the teachers). Classmates may be more or less appreciative of devices like laptops. I can say for sure that my classmates couldn't care less.

I will say that post-secondary education is an entirely different experience altogether, and I would totally agree with you for those points you stated if we're to talk about that. But this is high school; a totally mixed bag.

Anyway, I didn't see a point for laptops in high school. Your mileage may have varied.
My school has most everything done on computers, and even with this, people who bring laptops are made fun of. I use my board only in programming, partially because of the niceness of topre, but mostly because my school hasn't replaced the keyboards in almost 10 years, so they are pretty grimy.

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 19:30:52 »
I used to take my type-s to the school that I work at for my students to try all of the time.  It would sit in the back without any issue. 

Then again, when I was in high school, people at my school would have taken any chance to steal it from you. YMMV
Hi :)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 19:38:12 »
Don't be a **** do it. I used to bring my GON to school what the **** do you think people said about that? Ball hard and don't give a **** about no peasants underneath you.
#ballerstatus
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 20:25:15 »
I used to take my type-s to the school that I work at for my students to try all of the time.  It would sit in the back without any issue. 

Then again, when I was in high school, people at my school would have taken any chance to steal it from you. YMMV

Meanwhile in the schools I go to people leave macbooks lying around.

Offline tetraslash

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 20:52:18 »
My school has most everything done on computers, and even with this, people who bring laptops are made fun of. I use my board only in programming, partially because of the niceness of topre, but mostly because my school hasn't replaced the keyboards in almost 10 years, so they are pretty grimy.
Same here. My high school was... really below budget. The computers are these huge outdated Dells that are dated at least a decade ago, and they still use small 19" CRTs. And the keyboards are...

Meanwhile in the schools I go to people leave macbooks lying around.
My university experience in three words: Mac Master Race.

Offline Gravitar

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 22:01:22 »
 I am currently attending college and I bring my hhkb everywhere. 60% is such a convenient form factor to fit into a bag. Although I am studying Computer Science so there are a few other people bringing in their boards as well. I've seen a few Poker 2's, a Ducky Mini, and even a few full sized keyboards like the k70. I know my classmates very well, so I'm certain that no one will steal it, but if I'm not at a computer using it, it's usually in my bag anyway. If you are always with it, and you feel confident having such an expensive device with you among other high school students, bring it.
Blackwidow ult 2013(mx blues)  & HHKB Black printed

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 22:03:46 »
I used to bring my JD40 to highschool. The normal kids thought it was weird, but they thought that anyway. :rolleyes: Everyone in my cult of nerds thought it was awesome. ;D

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 22:37:21 »
I used to bring my JD40 to highschool. The normal kids thought it was weird, but they thought that anyway. :rolleyes: Everyone in my cult of nerds thought it was awesome. ;D
Yeah, the 4 other people in my programming class and my teacher think that keyboards are a neat hobby, granted they don't understand why, but they seem to be interested whenever I add a new cap to my board or whenever I bring a new one in.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 23:01:01 »
Yeah, the 4 other people in my programming class and my teacher think that keyboards are a neat hobby, granted they don't understand why, but they seem to be interested whenever I add a new cap to my board or whenever I bring a new one in.
I had a custom layout on my keyboard so they were all impressed by that. It was really fun watching them try to use it. :))

Offline Suppo

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 00:08:19 »
It's always fun watching people stumble on Mechanical Keyboards when they first try them  :D

Offline againer

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 13:26:10 »
I did buy a 60% Keyboard ( ducky mini ) just to take it with me to the university.
It has blue switches so some ppl complained and I installed o ring it is still LOUD but my classmates have to deal with it.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 13:54:06 »
If you manage to intrigue females and get dates with the HHKB..  let us know..

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 14:07:03 »
Wait... keyboards and laptops in high school???

When I was in high school, the cool kids all had 3 subject Mead 5-Star notebooks...

My school was super high tech too back then - our teachers were given Toshiba tablet PCs and *gasp* LED projectors...
null

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 14:08:32 »
god kids don't even know how heavy backpacks are anymore.. with all them pdf textbooks..

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 14:14:36 »
god kids don't even know how heavy backpacks are anymore.. with all them pdf textbooks..

Frantic locker runs between every other class to swap textbooks used to be a thing...
null

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 14:16:53 »
If you’re worried about beatings, perhaps get a more properly weaponized keyboard. E.g. a Model M should be pretty effective in a fight.

I think laptops in school sound like a generally stupid idea. Way way too distracting to let anyone learn anything. Laptops in college were bad enough, I’m glad no one had laptops when I was in high school in 2000–2004.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 March 2015, 14:19:54 by jacobolus »

Offline Johan

« Reply #50 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 14:24:58 »
It seems like a bad idea, if you do decide to bring it don't tell people what its worth.
Uh, stuff.

Offline brimborion

• Likes Matias Switches
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 14:26:03 »
In how many classes in a typical day are you seated at a computer? In my day it was just the CS class and Typing (though that was just the last year; all previous years they had Selectrics). So my opportunities to use a keyboard were CS and whatever study hall I wasn't using to practice music. And I didn't bring my own because we had PS/2s and they had good keyboards.

I don't know enough about modern education to have an opinion on whether laptops or PCs in class are good or bad. Just wondering how many classes now use a computer enough to justify bringing your own typing weapon.
Buckling Spring: 42H1292,  1391401, Unicomp Linux 101, Customizer 104 | Cherry Blue: Rosewill RK-9000, Das Keyboard S Pro | Cherry Black: Wyse/Link 840358-30| Rubber Dome: various Key Tronic, HHKB Lite, HHKB Lite 2, KB-8923, 71G4644 | Topre: Type Heaven | ALPS: Matias Mini Tactile Pro, 2xKBP V60

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 14:35:24 »
This thread makes me feel incredibly old. My typing class in high school was with an electric typewriter.

But, I'm not old enough to forget what high school was like, and it sounds like your parents have some very real concerns. I don't think anyone would steal the keyboard due to it's value or it's awesomeness (though it certainly has copious amounts of both). It is likely that your parents are concerned with someone stealing it just to **** with you. Which is a sad, but unfortunately, very real reality of many high school environments. If you value your keyboard, and people know it, it instantly becomes a mechanism to mess with you - a means to an end, regardless of value to them. I realize that is incredibly pessimistic, and maybe this is not your experience in high school. I guess you have to use your judgement to decide if there is any risk in the situation. It sounds like you are centered enough to not let someone else's opinion of you sway your decision making necessarily, which is a wonderful trait to have. It is very hard to have a unique voice in an environment that does a lot to silence it.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 14:52:28 »
If you have to ask ...

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 15:31:49 »
If you have to ask ...

Exactly. I think you already know. It's high school. **** gets broken or stolen constantly, and people get made fun of or picked on for WAY less nerdy **** than bringing their own special nerd-board to school. Just type the keyboard on your laptop for crying out loud. It's fine, it will work, and it won't brand you as a dweeb like hauling out some special Japanese $200+ keyboard. Seriously.

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 15:49:13 »
It's not a huge deal either.

I wanted to take it to class, not for bragging, or showing off, but because I like typing on a keyboard I enjoy, well it's not the end of the world if I type on a regular old membrane, I just prefer otherwise.

And it was less that I was concerned, more so others thinking I'm going to be a target of some conspiracy against me? Everyone in my family already thinks I'm trying to "Different" for the sake of it. I guess my family is afraid my "Weirdness" is going to look bad.  :))

And yes, I've paid for my board, no one else has.  :rolleyes:

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 15:56:06 »

I wanted to take it to class, not for bragging, or showing off, but because I like typing on a keyboard I enjoy, well it's not the end of the world if I type on a regular old membrane, I just prefer otherwise.

And it was less that I was concerned, more so others thinking I'm going to be a target of some conspiracy against me? Everyone in my family already thinks I'm trying to "Different" for the sake of it. I guess my family is afraid my "Weirdness" is going to look bad.  :))

People asked me in school why I own so many keyboards, and to explain it in a simplified way, I just say because I can customize them and make them look like the way I want to. My parents think it is a bit weird of a hobby, but they don't care if I bring it to school or anything. And how do your parents know you are going to bring it to school?

Offline Huxley2500

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 16:04:54 »

Who paid for it?

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 16:05:17 »

People asked me in school why I own so many keyboards, and to explain it in a simplified way, I just say because I can customize them and make them look like the way I want to. My parents think it is a bit weird of a hobby, but they don't care if I bring it to school or anything. And how do your parents know you are going to bring it to school?
They wouldn't really. Just trying to compare their rational and see if I'm not insane for thinking contrary to them. I Mentioned it once and that's when they threw in their thoughts.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 March 2015, 16:16:40 by Air tree »

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 16:05:54 »

Who paid for it?
Me.

EDIT: Needless double post. My mistake.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 16:07:16 »

They wouldn't really. Just trying to compare their rational and see if I'm not insane for thinking contrary to them. I Mentioned it once and that's when they through in their thoughts.
Not crazy for thinking that. I have noticed that I would only feel comfortable bringing my HHKB or nonflashy board, and I also feel that anything more than like a 70% is a bit too much to bring.

Offline techy1

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 17:59:37 »
It really depends on youre school. Just dont brag about the keyboard and you should be fine.

Offline oledome

• not batman
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 18:05:40 »
Unless you are spending most of the school day on a computer I'd say bringing a keyboard is not a smart idea.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 18:19:21 »
Bring expensive unnecessary things to school is always bad idea imo

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 05:32:02 »
Bringing to a open class nah a bad idea. I only would it bring if you had to write a super long essay in peace like in a school library or something.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 06:31:40 »
Bringing to a open class nah a bad idea. I only would it bring if you had to write a super long essay in peace like in a school library or something.

bruh... the dates :))

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 07:09:24 »

Idk know bruh it was already on the top before i even commented on it  ^-^ . Oh well topic is back alive  :blank:
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 22:02:25 »

I have no idea how people find these old incidents, but a lot of them bring back some memories.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ