Author Topic: to wrist rest or to not wrist rest  (Read 13951 times)

Offline Ghetto Caps

• i make ghetto caps.
to wrist rest or to not wrist rest
« on: Sat, 18 January 2014, 01:08:40 »
Well I've heard people say wrist rests improve comfort when typing,  while others say they stop blood flow and give you carrmaple tunnleees sysndrome(i cant spell  :-) )
Any thoughts,plus any thoughts on how to use a wrist rest?

Much  Thanks

Visit the Typing Test and try![/sigpic]

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
Re: to wrist rest or to not wrist rest
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 18 January 2014, 01:14:31 »
I can't recommend The_Beast's wooden wrist rest enough.

Here's a picture of mine:

Whenever I can't use the wrist rest (at work), its very uncomfortable, especially since mechanical keyboards tend to sit higher than most other keyboards.

Can't comment on blood blow because I can't really tell..

Its flippin awesome.

How to use? Put the bottom of your palm/upper wrist on the wrist rest and type.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 January 2014, 01:16:15 by kenmai9 »

Offline Pac Caps

• Its almost a pallindrome
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 18 January 2014, 01:16:00 »

Show Image

Whenever I can't use the wrist rest (at work), its very uncomfortable, especially since mechanical keyboards tend to sit higher than most other keyboards.

Its flippin awesome.

How much did it cost you? And how does it feel?
Want to be a cap maker

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 18 January 2014, 01:17:10 »
I use 3m gel wrist rests. Keyboard and mouse. They feel great but don't look as fancy as some.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 18 January 2014, 01:19:30 »

Show Image

Its flippin awesome.

How much did it cost you? And how does it feel?

I got it for $40 from inlikeflynn.

Not sure how much The_Beast charges. See his vendor forum.

It feels like... wood. I've never gotten like.. sores or anything from resting my wrists on it. Its quite ergonomic. To me at least.

For my mouse pad I use a leather wrist rest.. and its verrrry nice too.

Offline Ghetto Caps

• i make ghetto caps.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 18 January 2014, 01:20:39 »

Show Image

Can't comment on blood blow because I can't really tell..no

Its flippin awesome.

I'm currently making one that's similar but no curves at a cabinet shop.
Also one more question does the little kick feet effect any comfort/heath things

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 18 January 2014, 01:24:43 »

Show Image

Can't comment on blood blow because I can't really tell..no

Its flippin awesome.

I'm currently making one that's similar but no curves at a cabinet shop.
Also one more question does the little kick feet effect any comfort/heath things

I believe the rubber feet just makes sure it doesn't slide around or damage the wood through rubbing other surfaces.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 18 January 2014, 02:35:40 »
Wood and hard leather are good, gel... can cause problems depending how it's used.

The thing is, they should be called "palm rests" not wrist rests. You should rest your palm (the hard nub at the outside bottom edge, heel of the palm) on the rest and only when not actively typing. At least that's the ideal "best practises" way to do it. I tend to rest the heel of my palm on the rest when gaming, since I'm pressing keys almost constantly for extended periods.

The worst is if you lay your wrists flat on a gel pad WHILE typing. That way you put pressure on the blood vessels and ligaments and it can cause all kinds of problems including lack of bloodflow to the fingers.

Mouse wrist rests are unnecessary most of the time (your hand is often "flatter" due to the mouse being off to the side). Just rest your palm heel on the desk when not moving the mouse. Again, for gaming I sometimes rest my palm heel on the desk and use it as a reference / rotation point (fingertip grip).
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 January 2014, 02:45:29 by Oobly »
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline adder

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 18 January 2014, 06:08:10 »
I find wrist rests necessary for mechanical keyboards that they tend to be taller than the other keyboards. I use a 3M gel wrist rest. As I use 60% keyboards, the rest doubles as a rest for my Slimblade trackball.
As the Poker 2 has a very thin bezel, I leave approximately 1 cm space between keyboard and wrist rest.

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://matias.ca
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 18 January 2014, 15:28:52 »
If you're using an ergonomic keyboard tented, you pretty much need a palm support, to help keep your wrists straight.  Note that you DON'T rest your wrists on it — that's just bad — it's there for your palms.

It also provides padding for the bony bits of your hand.  This is the same reason I use a thickly-padded but FLAT mousepad.  Keeps the bony bits of your hand off the cold hard desk.

« Last Edit: Mon, 20 January 2014, 00:42:35 by Matias »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 18 January 2014, 16:18:31 »
Those rests are meant to prevent you from bending your wrists vertically, but if you rest your hands while typing, you have to be careful not to bend your wrists horizontally. Also, yes, they do restrict blood flow, even when used as palm rests. Moreover, the solid ones tend to get cold, when you aren't touching them.

If you have your keyboard in proper height and quite close to your belly (e.g. on your lap/knees), your hands should fit on the keyboard quite naturally.

All in all, AFAIK the only use, that isn't harmful, is temporary when you aren't typing, but just navigating a document by pressing few keys right under your fingers.

Offline Ghetto Caps

• i make ghetto caps.
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 18 January 2014, 23:29:26 »
Those rests are meant to prevent you from bending your wrists vertically, but if you rest your hands while typing, you have to be careful not to bend your wrists horizontally. Also, yes, they do restrict blood flow, even when used as palm rests. Moreover, the solid ones tend to get cold, when you aren't touching them.

If you have your keyboard in proper height and quite close to your belly (e.g. on your lap/knees), your hands should fit on the keyboard quite naturally.

All in all, AFAIK the only use, that isn't harmful, is temporary when you aren't typing, but just navigating a document by pressing few keys right under your fingers.
What is an AFAIK

Offline fourzeropooh

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 18 January 2014, 23:31:21 »

What is an AFAIK

As Far As I Know                     

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 00:38:30 »
If you use them wrong, wrist rests can cause you problems. Although, if you use a keyboard wrong it can cause you problems. I don't know much about wrist rests other than general comments from others and my own use. I find it uncomfortable to use a mech kb without one. Flat chiclet style keyboards I don't need one.

Matias hit the nail on the head with tented boards. It's hard to use them without a wrist rest.

Offline tototo

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 11:26:40 »
I personally cannot stand being without a wrist rest as it helps raising the wrist into a flatter, more comfortable angle. I use the grifiti wrist pads that are decently priced and I think a little higher than normal. Also prefer this cloth covered foam over leather or harder wood/plastic rests. Not so pretty but comfy.
PokerII.ahk | Ducky G2Pro TKLDucky MiniPoker II, Ergodox ClassicErgodox Full hand | For sale: KBT Pure ProDucky YYY TKL

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 11:37:22 »
I don't ever use wrist wrests but I want to give it a try.  I was once given one of those gel things at work and I hated the squishy feel.  I am currently lusting over the Noko leather customs but I would also like to try a wooden one.

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 11:49:11 »
Ideally, your hands should be above your keyboard while typing not level with or below. That's easier said than done though. That's why they are called wrist rests not palm rests like Oobly mentioned. The idea is to elevate the entire hand to where it hovers slightly above the keyboard. I'm sure they cut off blood flow but I've never had that problem.

http://www.typing-lessons.org/preliminaries_3.html

Edit: ...although I suppose you could accomplish the proper elevation while resting you palms on the "device" as long as it's tall enough.
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 January 2014, 11:58:25 by smknjoe »
SSKs for everyone!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 13:08:39 »
it really depends on what you're doing and how high your keyboard surface is relative to your elbows.

Offline Ghetto Caps

• i make ghetto caps.
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 17:40:58 »
I don't ever use wrist wrests but I want to give it a try.  I was once given one of those gel things at work and I hated the squishy feel.  I am currently lusting over the Noko leather customs but I would also like to try a wooden one.

im currently making a wood one, the hard foam in my leather one never comes back up after i but pressures on it.  :(     i don't know whats wrong

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 18:28:53 »
Mmm it feels so good typing right now with my palms on the wrist rests.. I only use my palms on them btw..

Offline osi

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 18:37:45 »
If you are having pain in your hands/wrist, try one out. Otherwise, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Personally, I've never needed a rest for my keyboard or mouse.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 21:54:35 »
Putting your wrists down on something inhibits proper typing. Wrists rests aren't and have never been necessary solely because typing is supposed to be done with the proper floating wrist technique.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 22:41:58 »
Putting your wrists down on something inhibits proper typing. Wrists rests aren't and have never been necessary solely because typing is supposed to be done with the proper floating wrist technique.

^^ that's so tiring/uncomfortable though
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline Ghetto Caps

• i make ghetto caps.
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 22:47:07 »

^ wrist rest are a bad habbit to use but its more comfortable in the short term ^-^
well i bought a filco leather one a while back and i really don't like it, il just sell it when im done making my wood wrist rest

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 23:04:44 »

Maybe if you do something else other than typing, but I can do it pretty much indefinitely (or at least to any possible amount of time I'd be typing, which can be a few hours with intermittent breaks). It always seems to make sense to use the most efficient solution rather than go to a wrist rest crutch (unless you are actually typing nonstop for several hours each day, which I doubt).
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline tototo

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 02:46:57 »
Need to add that I got really used to wrist rests after many years of the MS Ergo 4000 with negative slope. Mostly I just like resting the hands between typing and when using one hand on the mouse as I don't enjoy hovering the hand over the keyboard while not actively typing. For this thread I've thought a bit about how I'm holding the hands and they do indeed float while typing, though actually mostly due to the non-proper way of touchtyping. :)
PokerII.ahk | Ducky G2Pro TKLDucky MiniPoker II, Ergodox ClassicErgodox Full hand | For sale: KBT Pure ProDucky YYY TKL

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 03:17:28 »

It's a lot easier if you have elbow support, so you're not trying to hold your whole arm up. That can lead to shoulder tension.

I find I tend to rest my palms when not actually typing (such as reading through some code, planning what to type, etc), but float them when typing.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Noko

• jolonarr: a tough dude who takes no esses!
  • * Maker
    • Noko's Leatherworks
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 09:52:38 »

im currently making a wood one, the hard foam in my leather one never comes back up after i but pressures on it.  :(     i don't know whats wrong

Lower-quality foam will compress over time with use.  That's why I opted to pad my wrist rests with felt rather than foam--it's the most incompressable padding available :)
Noko's Leatherworks - Handmade Custom Leather Wrist Rests -  http://www.noko.ca

Sales Thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51762.0
Build Log: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47704.0

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 11:34:00 »
I'm getting a free wrist rest from WASD after they messed up my order :) I am also looking into a Beast wooden one for my Keycool as well.

I have to say, if I do conciously bring my wrists up when I type, it feels a lot more comfortable, a lot like how my piano teacher told me to while playing... o.O But I can imagine they do help, but at the end of the day it is personal preference, and I would suggest trying a really cheap one. If you like the general feeling, then fork out for a more expensive one.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline spuriousgeorge

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 12:22:19 »
That wooden wrist rest looks pretty great. You would think they'd be uncomfortable, but there seem to be plenty of enthusiasts on this site and elsewhere, so they must not be.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 12:52:10 »
You would think they'd be uncomfortable, but there seem to be plenty of enthusiasts on this site and elsewhere, so they must not be.

And your logical fallacy is... bandwagon!

Offline spuriousgeorge

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 13:05:20 »
You're right, davkol, I guess if I want to find out about them I'll have to try them myself.

Although who doesn't love a good logical fallacy?

Offline Ghetto Caps

• i make ghetto caps.
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 17:16:14 »
I just made a wood wrist rest im going to post a few picutres in a few minutes
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 January 2014, 17:30:50 by Ghetto Caps »

Offline Ghetto Caps

• i make ghetto caps.
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 17:30:05 »
52897-052897-1