Author Topic: Higher End Headphone Advice?  (Read 2814 times)

Offline HotRoderX

Higher End Headphone Advice?
« on: Mon, 25 March 2019, 14:58:00 »
Anyone got some words of Wisdom on headphones? I recently got my end game keyboard setup. I got a TKL Topre 55g in Norbaforce case. Then got my kbdfans 19x. I am looking for a good pair of headphones. My budget is 200 bucks. My current amp is a FiiO E10k I recently got.

The sets currently eyeing are  beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO Over-Ear Studio 250ohm, AKG Pro Audio K612PRO and Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee.

I am not a super bass head prefer more clear vocals thought do enjoy bass. Typically listen to a wide range of music from Country to Rock. I think listen to rock a bit more then anything else thought.

Am looking for decent build quality as want them to last a few years. I am open to suggestions or just pointing to good sources of information other then reddit.

Thanks guys!

Offline JP

Re: Higher End Headphone Advice?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 25 March 2019, 15:24:02 »
There is a topic for this. Check out the headphone thread under other geeky stuff.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=13775.msg2697216#msg2697216
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 25 March 2019, 15:32:20 »
There is a topic for this. Check out the headphone thread under other geeky stuff.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=13775.msg2697216#msg2697216

Thanks JP that helps a lot! I tried doing a search and didn't get any results. I am kinda kicking my self for not googling bet, I gotten more results and most likely found the thread above.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 March 2019, 20:36:37 »
I have 25$ set of headphones that work perfectly fine for me. BlueDio hurricanes. The sound is really good however the mice could use a bit of work.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 25 March 2019, 20:46:41 »
i'd check out the headfi used section if you're looking for a deal. if you're ocd about wearing someone's old headphones, you can buy some fresh pads. i'd say that with the massdrop collabs, they've been pushing the prices on mid range headphones, which is great. as far as i know there isn't too many groundbreaking headphones in the 1k range in the past few years. i still wish i owned a pair of denon d7000 before they nuked the line. i just did a quick search and it looks like there's a nice d5000 for sale on ebay. maybe if you can wait for a 15% off coupon that would be a pretty decent deal, if that's the kind of headphone you're interested in. i realized i enjoyed using speakers more than headphones in my room so i went with a high end vintage stereo system connected to a receiver that goes to my computer instead, so if that sounds appealing to you then you shouldn't limit yourself to headphones only.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 26 March 2019, 04:12:14 »
Headphones are kinda like keyboard switches - it's hard to make a recommendation as what's 'best' depends on the user.

Don't suppose you live wherever canjam is?  I've been to the UK one a couple of times and you just wander round trying the latest and greatest from some manufacturers as well as other people's setups.  Will eat into your budget but if it means you know what you want before you spend money on something you don't it's good.

That said I got a pair of the Denon D5000 Sniping mentioned and that was where my search ended and my keyboarding quest began.  I upgraded them with dynamat (see: MarkL mod) and leather pads but you'll know whether you like them in stock form.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 26 March 2019, 11:53:06 »
Headphones are kinda like keyboard switches - it's hard to make a recommendation as what's 'best' depends on the user.

Don't suppose you live wherever canjam is?  I've been to the UK one a couple of times and you just wander round trying the latest and greatest from some manufacturers as well as other people's setups.  Will eat into your budget but if it means you know what you want before you spend money on something you don't it's good.

That said I got a pair of the Denon D5000 Sniping mentioned and that was where my search ended and my keyboarding quest began.  I upgraded them with dynamat (see: MarkL mod) and leather pads but you'll know whether you like them in stock form.

Thats what keep reading and continue to read. That things are kinda bracketed 100 dollar tier 200 dollar tier 500 dollar tier everything else. That its really like switches what one person likes another might not. Its really confusing and it does seem the best way is to try as many as you can. Sadly there no were locally, and wondering if my best bet is just to try something popular like the 6xx thats suppose to be sorta Natural/Neutral sounding I guess?. Then kinda go from there if I don't like them. I figured go with something popular and there most likely easy to sell. The way topre is were if you don't like topre switches selling them isn't that bad you can recoup most your money.

Offline atarione

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 26 March 2019, 13:52:40 »
I assume you know that all these headphones listed are open back and will leak sound both in and out ?

When I wanted open back I chose the beyerdynamic DT880 Premium 250ohms.. over senn hd600/650 and over the DT990 or AKG

the main reason was I liked the sound of the DT880's best, and they are more comfortable than the Senn Hd600/650 / 58X .. or the AKG's the 990's are pretty bright.. with somewhat notorious treble cannon reputation.

But as has been said it is a pretty subjective thing, and what I like you might not...

The DT880's are worth adding to your considerations .. My DT880's are 4~yrs old still going strong.

They are closed back but for rock I really like my beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80's .. (My DT770's are 6~yrs old and also still going strong with no issues (other than a bit of the white lettering wearing off the ear cups).

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 26 March 2019, 15:26:31 »
I assume you know that all these headphones listed are open back and will leak sound both in and out ?

When I wanted open back I chose the beyerdynamic DT880 Premium 250ohms.. over senn hd600/650 and over the DT990 or AKG

the main reason was I liked the sound of the DT880's best, and they are more comfortable than the Senn Hd600/650 / 58X .. or the AKG's the 990's are pretty bright.. with somewhat notorious treble cannon reputation.

But as has been said it is a pretty subjective thing, and what I like you might not...

The DT880's are worth adding to your considerations .. My DT880's are 4~yrs old still going strong.

They are closed back but for rock I really like my beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80's .. (My DT770's are 6~yrs old and also still going strong with no issues (other than a bit of the white lettering wearing off the ear cups).

Yes, I did know they are all open backs that was on purpose. As I wanted headphones that will let ambient noise leak in. I need to be able to hear if my name is called or someone is knocking. I know its not idea situation but it is what it is. I add the DT880's to my list. I know heard a lot of good things about the Beyerdynamic headphones. I think might end up getting a pair regardless of what I go with. As I really want to try some out. I got a feeling they might sound really good to boot. Seems like Headphones are like keyboard's ones never enough.

Offline JP

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 07:22:32 »
I am still content with a single pair of headphones, the Sony MDR7506's. I use them mostly in an office environment or loud public spaces since they block a good deal of noise. At home it's speakers all the time.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 11:53:09 »
I am still content with a single pair of headphones, the Sony MDR7506's. I use them mostly in an office environment or loud public spaces since they block a good deal of noise. At home it's speakers all the time.

I've found that headfone and earbuds have overall better sonic balance.

But obviously, speakers are the only way to experience that air-pressure change.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 12:03:22 »

I wish speakers were option, perhaps one day! I seen some of the amazing speaker setups people have. Plus some of the more vintage equipment I have seen is just amazing to look at it.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 12:06:19 »

But obviously, speakers are the only way to experience that air-pressure change.

i remember a post you wrote a long time ago about how audiophiles listen to their headphones rather than their music. i remember feeling like i fell under that category that i was trying too hard to find the perfect headphone signature when what i enjoyed more was just turning up the volume and blasting some legit songs. after spending a long time on head fi i realized i was trying too hard, and in the past 3 years i've probably been on head-fi like once or twice, and dropped my search for the perfect headphone.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 14:10:05 »

i remember a post you wrote a long time ago about how audiophiles listen to their headphones rather than their music. i remember feeling like i fell under that category that i was trying too hard to find the perfect headphone signature when what i enjoyed more was just turning up the volume and blasting some legit songs. after spending a long time on head fi i realized i was trying too hard, and in the past 3 years i've probably been on head-fi like once or twice, and dropped my search for the perfect headphone.

Maybe coming from keyboard's to headphones has helped. I figured out quick there is no end game because its just finding what you like and enjoying it. Though does seem like its a deep deep hole to dive into. I am excited to start wadding thought it, and hope I don't end up listing more for the headphones then the music.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 19:26:44 »
Related to 'listening to the headphones rather than the music' be warned - a good setup can make music you like sound bad and music you don't like sound great, to the point you'd rather listen to something well recorded in a genre you don't usually listen to.  When you say 'country to rock' to me they're not disimilar - both have mid-range vocals and guitar.  What's in the middle?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 19:54:18 »
Related to 'listening to the headphones rather than the music' be warned - a good setup can make music you like sound bad and music you don't like sound great, to the point you'd rather listen to something well recorded in a genre you don't usually listen to.  When you say 'country to rock' to me they're not disimilar - both have mid-range vocals and guitar.  What's in the middle?

Classical and Instrumental, and some Jazz to a certain point. I always figured Classical and Instrumental are kinda off on there own category. I can see were Country and Rock would be alike.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 20:47:28 »
Like some had said, it's about finding the sound signature that appeals to you, and looking for the headphones that best encapsulates what you want. Easier said than done though, unless you happen to have access to a headgear shop that allows you to try out the various headphones. In my neck of the woods, there's a headphone shop that incorporates a cafe, I went there a couple of times to have coffee, and try out a couple of headphones while I was there.....they have entry level gear up to top end electrostatic cans.

I like brighter sounding cans (hence I have no problem with the Beyerdynamic DT-990 Premium and DT770 Pro which I happen to have), heck, I can even handle the sparkling highs on my HD800! There's a crystal clear clarity in the sound that I find somewhat lacking in other headphones. Don't get me wrong, if the treble is too sharp and sound very grainy, I'd not like it as well. Know the kind of sound you like, if you do, half the battle is won already.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 12:26:19 »
I thought I give a update to this thread, after lot of back and forth and a few issues. I ended up throwing my budget to the wind and just got what I wanted. I went with a pair of BT Amiron homes. I gotta say they sound amazing. I honestly couldn't have asked for a better sounding headphone. They sound better then the HD6xx's and are far more comfortable. Overall really happy with what picked. I wanted to say thank you to everyone who helped out.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 16:00:54 »
Audeze has never let me down, I own/have owned 3 pairs over the years, and they have just about the lushest sound stage I've experienced. They are slightly more expensive than the BD's but I think if you are prepared to drop over $1k on headphones Audeze has better build quality and depreciate slower. I've been using the EL-8's for almost everything the past couple years and love them, almost anything can drive them but the LCD's require a bit more juice. And if you pair them with a tube amp it's like heaven in your ear canals.

Otherwise I really love Denon and Fostex's sound signature. Both have very deep and lush soundstages hitting bright notes extremely well while not getting muddled with too much or unbalanced bass.
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 April 2019, 16:04:51 by noisyturtle »