Author Topic: Filco Majestouch Upgrade Path  (Read 2908 times)

Offline SuperBigAce

Filco Majestouch Upgrade Path
« on: Sun, 22 October 2023, 23:41:07 »
Hi, lads and lasses!

I'm new to the forum, so I do apologise if I posted this in the wrong section.

Coming from a passed down Filco Mj1 (Brown), I've just been having the hardest time finding a comparable replacement for it, since the case ping suddenly starts to bother me. The community seems to have shifted towards the "Thocky" sound signature which does sound good for a while, but to me it just gets distracting after longer period. Tried cheaping out and got the AJAZZ AK992 which have plastic case and plate and gasket mount construction, even after changing the switches with the MX2A browns, tape mod, and foam mod on the back, it feels hollow, plasticky, and well, cheap. I'm now considering the Q6, V6, or the K lineups from Keychron, the all aluminium Q6 sounds really muted and the K series lineup just right off feels wrong. It seems like the V6 with plastic case and steel plate, paired with the MX2A switches and keychron's cherry profile keycaps might be the best contender at the moment. It would be awesome to hear from anyone who has had a similar experience transitioning from a Filco keyboard, or if they have any recommendations for a keyboard that offers a more poppy, clacky sound while still providing a solid typing experience.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 October 2023, 23:44:41 by SuperBigAce »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Filco Majestouch Upgrade Path
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 23 October 2023, 05:51:27 »
Things have come a looong ways since Filco.
That said, the Ajazz is pretty much bottom of the barrel, which for bottom of the barrel, it's pretty good and means you can pretty much only go up.

A few things I will suggest (and could fix your Ajazz):
Lube the switches/stabs, this can make a HUGE difference in sound, especially spring and bottom out noise. Lighter lube is probably better for the sound you want.
Springs... Cherry springs in particular have historically been an issue, I can't speak for the new ones, but that is what the Filco plate design was amplifying and creates the famous Filco Ping.
Lastly, Caps... Cheap ones in particular will absolutely wreck a keyboard. I use some cheap Korean ones I got off Amazon (hkgaming?), they're thick pbt and because they need less webbing you can put an o-ring underneath without them working as an o-ring, they just add more sound dampening. They may not look as cool, but the sound is a lot more solid and less hollow. DO NOT get thin PBT, it will make your problem worse. Basically the more material on a keycap, the better it will sound.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline SuperBigAce

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 23 October 2023, 21:19:18 »
Thanks a lot for your input.

Seem's like you've got your mj2 modified to the brim, I was considering replacing the switches with the mx2as and adding a wrapping foam between the plates and pcb whilst I'm on it. However, the steel plate has developed quite a substantial amount of rust. So, I might lean towards getting a new current board with somewhat of a similar characteristics with the filco perhaps ? I've heard wasd to have some decent board, I'm also considering the majestouch 3, but haven't seen any threads on it whatsover in geekhack, and a review on reddit does point the persistence of the filco ping. 

ps. I've been using my old, worn down abs keycaps from the filco (ABS) and it does indeed make the AJAZZ (initially PBT) sound more to my liking. I'm not sure if I should try out keychron's cherry PBT first or straight off just buy GMK's double shot ABS
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 October 2023, 22:57:50 by SuperBigAce »

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 23 October 2023, 23:53:13 »
If you are looking for something similar to a filco board in terms of a solid typing feel, get a top mount board, sounds and feels far more consistent. Not sure of any options that are budget since they tend to use gaskets cause that's what everyone wants, but if you do try to find one try to find one that doesn't have that many mounting points and none where the spacebar is (outside the stabliser housings) makes it sound/feel weird.

If you are looking for that clacky sound (may be different to you) get like gateron yellows or a long pole like a nk cream, keep in mind long pole switches on top mount is quite stiff, especially on an alu plate. I'd reccomend modding gat yellows (like a lube, spring swapping, break in) or if you just want a pretty smooth switch stock gat pros are good and not that more expensive (cheap in comparison to a lot of switches on the market)

Keychron stuff pretty nice, heard the K series is the best when it comes to value so look into that one as well. Probably the best oems that use mx switches.

I was considering replacing the switches with the mx2as and adding a wrapping foam between the plates and pcb whilst I'm on it. However, the steel plate has developed quite a substantial amount of rust. So, I might lean towards getting a new current board with somewhat of a similar characteristics with the filco perhaps ?

If you don't want to spend money on a new board, if you can find the plate files for a filco you could probably get like an alu plate cut to replace the steel one. took me a while but I did find the plate files on the gh cad resources, it's on the github link.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47744.0

ps. I've been using my old, worn down abs keycaps from the filco (ABS) and it does indeed make the AJAZZ (initially PBT) sound more to my liking. I'm not sure if I should try out keychron's cherry PBT first or straight off just buy GMK's double shot ABS

probably skip the pbt caps if the abs sounds better, pbt tends to sound lower pitch.

gmk is nice but only get it if you can afford it. I really like gmk though, keykobo is also nice and usually a bit cheaper in terms of doubleshot abs. I don't know about any high quality cheap abs doubleshots so I can't help you there.

Hope me infodumping helped you somewhat.

fjell | hhkb bt

Offline SuperBigAce

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 24 October 2023, 05:13:32 »
Absolutely !! Thanks heaps, it definitely have saved me time and money i would've thrown out the window with pbt caps.

If you are looking for something similar to a filco board in terms of a solid typing feel, get a top mount board, sounds and feels far more consistent. Not sure of any options that are budget since they tend to use gaskets cause that's what everyone wants, but if you do try to find one try to find one that doesn't have that many mounting points and none where the spacebar is (outside the stabliser housings) makes it sound/feel weird.

Any particular board you'd recommend ? can't seem to find any with full layout. .

If you are looking for that clacky sound (may be different to you) get like gateron yellows or a long pole like a nk cream, keep in mind long pole switches on top mount is quite stiff, especially on an alu plate. I'd reccomend modding gat yellows (like a lube, spring swapping, break in) or if you just want a pretty smooth switch stock gat pros are good and not that more expensive (cheap in comparison to a lot of switches on the market)

I unfortunately have jumped the gun on the MX2A browns as an attempt to fix my AJAZZ, and I do like the subtle tactility of the MX brown, I've tried linears including the hall effect ones (feels complete crap), as well as the Outemu Brown that comes with the AJAZZ which i found to be too tactile because of the more agressive sounding upswitch.

If you don't want to spend money on a new board, if you can find the plate files for a filco you could probably get like an alu plate cut to replace the steel one. took me a while but I did find the plate files on the gh cad resources, it's on the github link.

Wow, thanks a lot even though I would likely get a new board for the time being but reviving the filco would definitely be a cool project.

probably skip the pbt caps if the abs sounds better, pbt tends to sound lower pitch.

gmk is nice but only get it if you can afford it. I really like gmk though, keykobo is also nice and usually a bit cheaper in terms of doubleshot abs. I don't know about any high quality cheap abs doubleshots so I can't help you there.

is it that common for pbt caps to feel somewhat rough and scratchy, which might contribute to the "cheap" perception I'm having with most keyboards that have pbt caps, compared to abs ? at this point I'd probably just get the gmk wob currently on sale at drop.com for US $89 with the 10% code I've got + US$20 shipping

I've also noticed you're based in melbourne based according to your profile. It would be grand if you can point me towards products accessible in AU, but if you reckon it's worth it i dont mind sourcing from overseas vendor either. I don't mind spending a good chunk so long as it's as good as if not better than the filco quality and reliability wise.

Cheers!!!
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 October 2023, 05:24:36 by SuperBigAce »

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 24 October 2023, 06:43:53 »
Absolutely !! Thanks heaps, it definitely have saved me time and money i would've thrown out the window with pbt caps.

Any particular board you'd recommend ? can't seem to find any with full layout. .

I unfortunately have jumped the gun on the MX2A browns as an attempt to fix my AJAZZ, and I do like the subtle tactility of the MX brown, I've tried linears including the hall effect ones (feels complete crap), as well as the Outemu Brown that comes with the AJAZZ which i found to be too tactile because of the more agressive sounding upswitch.

Wow, thanks a lot even though I would likely get a new board for the time being but reviving the filco would definitely be a cool project.

is it that common for pbt caps to feel somewhat rough and scratchy, which might contribute to the "cheap" perception I'm having with most keyboards that have pbt caps, compared to abs ? at this point I'd probably just get the gmk wob currently on sale at drop.com for US $89 with the 10% code I've got + US$20 shipping

I've also noticed you're based in melbourne based according to your profile. It would be grand if you can point me towards products accessible in AU, but if you reckon it's worth it i dont mind sourcing from overseas vendor either. I don't mind spending a good chunk so long as it's as good as if not better than the filco quality and reliability wise.

Cheers!!!

pbt generally has a more "dry" feeling compared to abs. most people actually see that texture as a sign of quality over ABS but it really depends on your preference. what keycap profile do you like?
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 24 October 2023, 08:29:47 »
Any particular board you'd recommend ? can't seem to find any with full layout.

Not sure about full size. The only one that fits that description is the kangaroo which hasn't gone into GB yet, but it's left handed, like 4kg and approximately 550 usd for the kit which is probably way to much for a keyboard in your eyes... I link the IC thread if this interests you (the thread hasn't been active in a while but on the snagzkeys server the runner did say it will happen) - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=108740.0

more enthusiast full sizes are generally very uncommon in comparison to the other layouts. Top mounted tkls (and tkls in general) are far more common at decent prices, It would be easier to find a tkl top mounted board, and then buy a numpad alongside it.

I don't think roughness isn't a bad thing when it comes to the texture of a keycap, however that is a more preference thing. I personally enjoy both pbt and abs, but on my daily driver I do use a gmk set. The cheapness more comes from the inconsistency of the texture, along with legend quality and thickness (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, dcs keys are nice and thin. It's just that cheap pbt often is quite thin)

If you want to try everything see if there is a keyboard meetup near you, you can try a lot of things out to see what your preferences are.

In terms of aussie vendors, I mainly go to Dailyclack, Switchkeys and Cafege for keyboard stuff, daily clack especially has a lot of great deals on gmk sets, I mainly buy internationally for keyboards and Artisan keycaps that aren't being proxied by a aus vendor. It does depend on the product and where I can get the lowest price for it.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 24 October 2023, 09:15:12 »
Thanks a lot for your input.

Seem's like you've got your mj2 modified to the brim, I was considering replacing the switches with the mx2as and adding a wrapping foam between the plates and pcb whilst I'm on it. However, the steel plate has developed quite a substantial amount of rust. So, I might lean towards getting a new current board with somewhat of a similar characteristics with the filco perhaps ? I've heard wasd to have some decent board, I'm also considering the majestouch 3, but haven't seen any threads on it whatsover in geekhack, and a review on reddit does point the persistence of the filco ping. 

Mine was modded back when those parts were easy to get and customs/better keyboards were not.
These days the parts are extremely hard to find, if not impossible and customs and better keyboards are a dime a dozen. The industry just isn't the same as it was when I got it.

WASD is pretty much a more up to date Filco (same OEM manufacturer and base design), it's a solid board, but not your best bang for the buck. For one, it has Costar stabs which can be made to perform decent but if not you're stuck with them and it lacks hot swap, which, once you try lubed switches you'll probably never go back. I purposely didn't really mention any specific brands because Ajazz is pretty much the lowest of the low and Filco is pretty average these days (at best and that's if you ignore features) so all you need to do is go a bit upscale of the AJAZZ and you'll match (or beat) the Filco in almost every way. Don't get me wrong, I love my FIlco but once you reach a certain point keyboards have diminishing returns, that point is getting lower and lower and if you're willing to lube, that point almost vanishes entirely. With lube (and maybe some stabs) you can make a cheap keyboard feel and sound almost as good as the absolute best high end plastic keyboard and a cheap aluminum keyboard sound and feel as good as a high end one.

Regarding ABS vs PBT, sound-wise they aren't that different unless you get thin, then they're amazingly bad, my first PBT were thin and cheap and it completely turned me off PBT for a years. Thin PBT is the devil.
In terms of feel they can vary a TON. My current ones feel like typing on fine powdered sugar, another set is more like sandpaper, the ABS feel like typing on an oil slick, like Rhienfo said, it depends on what you like, personally I like the rough ones. As for wear and tear, after 2 years of abuse the PBTs are like new while all the ABS are just wrecked, not just slick but clearly worn down (I'm really hard on caps, I once destroyed a set of legends on a cheap keyboard in a week).
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline SuperBigAce

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 24 October 2023, 11:09:11 »
Wow, Thanks a lot for all the enthusiasm and suggestions.

I’m sorry for hot specifying this earlier, it’s not the top texture that I’m bothered with, but during the actual action of pressing the key, with identical switches, when I used the PBT caps it feel so scratchy, dry, and kinda sandpaper, but right after changing it to the ABS the action felt really smooth. It felt like they drastically changed the switch characteristics by quite some margin.

pbt generally has a more "dry" feeling compared to abs. most people actually see that texture as a sign of quality over ABS but it really depends on your preference. what keycap profile do you like?

I’ve been accustomed to the OEM profiles on the filco, but considering most keyboard cases currently are significantly taller, I think i need to compensate it with the cherry profiles. That's another issue I also had with the Keychron Q series I tried, the angle with their OSA (?) profile and thicker case profile felt too aggressive, although admittedly I tried it standing up.

Not sure about full size. The only one that fits that description is the kangaroo which hasn't gone into GB yet, but it's left handed, like 4kg and approximately 550 usd for the kit which is probably way to much for a keyboard in your eyes... I link the IC thread if this interests you (the thread hasn't been active in a while but on the snagzkeys server the runner did say it will happen) - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=108740.0

more enthusiast full sizes are generally very uncommon in comparison to the other layouts. Top mounted tkls (and tkls in general) are far more common at decent prices, It would be easier to find a tkl top mounted board, and then buy a numpad alongside it.

Wow, the roos really piqued my interest, such a bummer its southpaw though. Not sure if I’d be able to embrace the TKL just yet. And also, is the filco top mounted ? Can’t seem to find any info abt it, as far as I’m aware its tray mounted (?)

If you want to try everything see if there is a keyboard meetup near you, you can try a lot of things out to see what your preferences are.

Thanks, will definitely keep an eye out.

In terms of aussie vendors, I mainly go to Dailyclack, Switchkeys and Cafege for keyboard stuff, daily clack especially has a lot of great deals on gmk sets, I mainly buy internationally for keyboards and Artisan keycaps that aren't being proxied by a aus vendor. It does depend on the product and where I can get the lowest price for it.

Noted! Thanks

Mine was modded back when those parts were easy to get and customs/better keyboards were not.
These days the parts are extremely hard to find, if not impossible and customs and better keyboards are a dime a dozen. The industry just isn't the same as it was when I got it.

WASD is pretty much a more up to date Filco (same OEM manufacturer and base design), it's a solid board, but not your best bang for the buck. For one, it has Costar stabs which can be made to perform decent but if not you're stuck with them and it lacks hot swap, which, once you try lubed switches you'll probably never go back. I purposely didn't really mention any specific brands because Ajazz is pretty much the lowest of the low and Filco is pretty average these days (at best and that's if you ignore features) so all you need to do is go a bit upscale of the AJAZZ and you'll match (or beat) the Filco in almost every way. Don't get me wrong, I love my FIlco but once you reach a certain point keyboards have diminishing returns, that point is getting lower and lower and if you're willing to lube, that point almost vanishes entirely. With lube (and maybe some stabs) you can make a cheap keyboard feel and sound almost as good as the absolute best high end plastic keyboard and a cheap aluminum keyboard sound and feel as good as a high end one.

I see, that sounds like a really fair point ! Thanks

Regarding ABS vs PBT, sound-wise they aren't that different unless you get thin, then they're amazingly bad, my first PBT were thin and cheap and it completely turned me off PBT for a years. Thin PBT is the devil.
In terms of feel they can vary a TON. My current ones feel like typing on fine powdered sugar, another set is more like sandpaper, the ABS feel like typing on an oil slick, like Rhienfo said, it depends on what you like, personally I like the rough ones. As for wear and tear, after 2 years of abuse the PBTs are like new while all the ABS are just wrecked, not just slick but clearly worn down (I'm really hard on caps, I once destroyed a set of legends on a cheap keyboard in a week).
[/quote]

Yea, my apology, I should’ve specify more on the action. I dont really mind the touch sensation, it’s primarily the keystroke feel and sound that I’m most concerned of.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 26 October 2023, 07:54:18 »
Keep Filco stock.  Use it as an Early 2000 historical reference.

It's not very mod friendly because of the snap together casing which loses tightness each time you jiggy it.

There are a billion options these days for you to do up your own dig.

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 26 October 2023, 09:31:20 »
as far as I’m aware its tray mounted (?)

Yeah filco's are tray mounted.

Not sure if I’d be able to embrace the TKL just yet

tkl is one of the easiest layouts to get used to. I mainly use a 60% and I can adjust pretty easily (Granted I do need to remap some keys + have to split my right shift cause of macros)

If missing the numpad is the issue, could be worth looking into some of the stranger layouts with them (Like CableCarDesigns Cypher, Hiney's Ibis, any 1800 or AT layout as examples) and see if they suit you better.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 26 October 2023, 21:31:33 »
I'm now considering the Q6, V6, or the K lineups from Keychron, the all aluminium Q6 sounds really muted and the K series lineup just right off feels wrong. It seems like the V6 with plastic case and steel plate, paired with the MX2A switches and keychron's cherry profile keycaps might be the best contender at the moment.

Cheers.

I still have my Filco Majestouch 2 full-size keyboard with MX Browns.

It's only recently that there are legitimate full-size quality keyboards to purchase.

You are on the right track with the Keychron series. The V6 would be similar in build to a Majestouch, although in some ways more customizable. The Q6 is a step above, with the more luxurious case. In either case, there are a variety of mods you can perform to reach a desired performance.

The ability to use PCB-mount stabilizers alone puts it above any factory keyboard, be it Filco or Leopold or Varmilo. You could even replace the PCB-mount stabilizers with fancier ones.

I agree that some of the Keychron keyboards seem designed for a more muted sound [that's fine with me.] You can still adjust it.

You might also consider the Monsgeek M5, which can be set up to be a loud and clacky keyboard:

[or a quiet one.]

However, the Monsgeek M5 requires you to assemble the stabilizers, I think.

Keychron's Cherry-profile keycaps would have to be bought in addition to the keyboard, no?

I have done a lot of typing on Cherry MX Browns. I agree with you completely that PBT keycaps are too harsh for MX Browns on a tray-mount. I found that the best results came from DCS-profile keycaps, such as the old Wyse. However, since DCS is rare and expensive [especially overseas], I would recommend some kind of Cherry-profile ABS. You could go with Domikey, which is pretty consistent. GMK is starting to get discounted these days, so that's an option. [Although GMK sounds a bit tinny and high-pitched with MX Browns]. JTK is actually pretty good, I have it mounted on some light-tactiles and it is fine.

As for the switches themselves, you can embrace MX Browns and try to improve them. [break-in the fresh switches, replace the springs with lubed aftermarket variety, handpick them]. Or Gaterons are getting pretty good these days. Honestly, the new Gateron G Pro Brown 3.0 are actually good. Like, just slap them in a Q6 or whatever.

The ideal setup for handpicked MX Browns is probably a top-mount board with polycarbonate plate. But since that is impossible with available full-size keyboards, something like a V6 / Q6 is probably fine. It's up to you how to bias the sound. I have almost bought a Q6 several times, but it's $60 just for shipping in Canada. Which makes me take a closer look at the Monsgeek M5.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 26 October 2023, 21:50:59 »
All that being said, there is one difference between the V6 and Q6: The Q6 is gasket-mount. That should lead to a softer, and potentially quieter typing experience. It depends on what you want.

Both the V6 and Q6 can be customized with extra plate options. I recommend PC, if you are using MX Browns. Unless you are attached to the sound and feel of your Filco, I guess then you would go with aluminium / steel?

BTW You can find affordable ABS. Even some GMK sets are down to $85 for a base kit:

https://novelkeys.com/products/gmk-yuri-r2?variant=37313559494823

Then there's the new DCX profile I forgot to mention. Basically close to GMK in intent. Look for sales on DCX sets, which do happen. JTK gets discounts, too. Domikey is sometimes the cheapest, but I find that GMK / JTK have better surface-texture.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 October 2023, 21:57:45 by HungerMechanic »

Offline SuperBigAce

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 27 October 2023, 05:30:29 »
Yeah filco's are tray mounted.

Thanks for confirming.

tkl is one of the easiest layouts to get used to. I mainly use a 60% and I can adjust pretty easily (Granted I do need to remap some keys + have to split my right shift cause of macros)

If missing the numpad is the issue, could be worth looking into some of the stranger layouts with them (Like CableCarDesigns Cypher, Hiney's Ibis, any 1800 or AT layout as examples) and see if they suit you better.

The Ajazz is 1800 (I think) and I just can't seem to adjust to the different positions of the arrows, del, insert, end and especially the 2u 0 key is a must unfortunately. So I decided to order the GMK keycaps on sale at drop.com and the V6. We'll see how it goes. Though, I kinda regret not going with the FC900r brown instead, but it seems to be out of stock everywhere I look, even in the US, Korea, Taiwan, Japan, nowhere to be found !
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 October 2023, 05:54:35 by SuperBigAce »

Offline SuperBigAce

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 27 October 2023, 05:52:31 »
All that being said, there is one difference between the V6 and Q6: The Q6 is gasket-mount. That should lead to a softer, and potentially quieter typing experience. It depends on what you want.

Both the V6 and Q6 can be customized with extra plate options. I recommend PC, if you are using MX Browns. Unless you are attached to the sound and feel of your Filco, I guess then you would go with aluminium / steel?

Yea I really am so attached to the sound and feel of the filco HAHAHA. I'm also not a fan of the gasket mount. So I've pulled the trigger on the V6 and will replace the factory sound dampening PCB foam with a layer of PE foam instead.

BTW You can find affordable ABS. Even some GMK sets are down to $85 for a base kit:

Then there's the new DCX profile I forgot to mention. Basically close to GMK in intent. Look for sales on DCX sets, which do happen. JTK gets discounts, too. Domikey is sometimes the cheapest, but I find that GMK / JTK have better surface-texture.

Yea I ended up getting the GMK WoB, but got really tempted by those laser novelties, which altogether with shipping ended up costing US$135 (twice as much as the V6 barebone T.T). I'm just really hoping this stands up to the hype, and would last at least the next 5 or even 10 years.

Crap and I also got the relegendables. Damn this hobby is expensive.

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 27 October 2023, 07:04:47 »

Yea I really am so attached to the sound and feel of the filco HAHAHA. I'm also not a fan of the gasket mount. So I've pulled the trigger on the V6 and will replace the factory sound dampening PCB foam with a layer of PE foam instead.

Yea I ended up getting the GMK WoB, but got really tempted by those laser novelties, which altogether with shipping ended up costing US$135 (twice as much as the V6 barebone T.T). I'm just really hoping this stands up to the hype, and would last at least the next 5 or even 10 years.

Crap and I also got the relegendables. Damn this hobby is expensive.

depends on what u mean by "last at least the next 5 or even 10 years"
in that long they will look like an oil slick but the legends will still be like they were day 1 since they are thick(er) doubleshot
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 12 November 2023, 18:48:15 »

Just bumping this cause the fossil, which is a very expensive full size custom is having extras soon, so if you want a full size custom than that's your best bet atm.

It is going to be pricey so it may be out of your price range but it could be what you are looking for. I'll link the GB thread just in case

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=119332.0

Also if you are looking for pretty much everything that is in a full size, maybe look into 1800 layouts as they are the closest to a full size that some customs use commonly. The brutal v2 1800 I heard was an good option, but again may be out of your price range.

https://cannonkeys.com/products/brutal-v2-1800-keyboard
fjell | hhkb bt