Author Topic: Changed your keyboard? How long does it take you?  (Read 1607 times)

Offline Pavilions

Changed your keyboard? How long does it take you?
« on: Tue, 07 August 2018, 06:41:40 »
I know this question could sound stupid, but I wanted to know each time you change your keyboard or getting a new one. How long does it take you to get used to the new keyboard? Do you find it harder on the beginning to get used to it?

Thanks

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Changed your keyboard? How long does it take you?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 07 August 2018, 06:46:32 »
Very little time if the layout is the same. Going to a different layout is difficult for me.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 07 August 2018, 07:30:51 »
I switch between ANSI at home and Danish ISO at work. That's about it really, I currently have 1 keyboard at home I use for now. And the laptop keyboard which I have to use because every time I bring a mech to work the boss complains about the noise. :P
At first it was awkward but I got used to it very quickly. Admittedly the change isn't that huge in my opinion.

Offline sbyrne

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 07 August 2018, 09:55:06 »
I just switched from a Matias Ergo Pro to an Ultimate Hacking Keyboard. It was a pretty big change - not only did the mechanics change (browns vs alps, 6 on the left, no escape/function row, solid palmrest instead of squishy), but I swapped control and caps lock, and configured a bunch of stuff with layers. It has been 2 months and I'm almost there.

The weird thing is that just because I learn to use the new control position for ctrl-c does not mean that I have learned the new control position for ctrl-a. And even weirder, just because I learned the new control position for ctrl-a for select all does not mean I learned the new control position for ctrl-a as a GNU Screen shortcut. My mental mappings are based on what I am trying to do, not what keys I am pressing.

I also switched from ANSI to ISO, and use the left |\ key as shift and the left shift to activate the mouse layer. Usually it isn't a problem, but when I move my right hand far to the right (e.g. to hit the right |\, I tend to move my left pinky farther to the left to hit shift. My wrists like to make symmetrical movements.

Offline killyou

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 07 August 2018, 10:29:21 »
I switched from "normal" keyboards to 60% Pok3r and it took me about a week to get used to arrows (and all combinations they are required for) being in Fn layer. Now every time I use a TKL/Full size keyboard I automatically try Pok3r combinations to do stuff. Having say that I would never use anything else than Pok3r unless I have to.

Offline RehnMan

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 07 August 2018, 11:15:04 »
I switched from "normal" keyboards to 60% Pok3r and it took me about a week to get used to arrows (and all combinations they are required for) being in Fn layer. Now every time I use a TKL/Full size keyboard I automatically try Pok3r combinations to do stuff. Having say that I would never use anything else than Pok3r unless I have to.

Good to know Im not alone on that one. It is so painful using standard arrow keys now once getting used to not moving my hand for arrows. I could see the point in having both arrow keys and layered arrow keys.

I agree that it took me about a week to adjust to the Anne Pro. A little less time to switch to the Poker (just new shortcuts to learn). Im excited to see how long it takes to adjust to the Planck when it arrives.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 07 August 2018, 11:53:28 »
It's dependent on how experienced a typist you are..

The more strongly trained your base skills,  the more quickly you can recognize and adapt to the slight timing differences of a new keyboard.

50wpm to 80wpm peeps will feel sluggish and require more transition time..

100-120wpm peeps will feel no difference, because at around this point, they MUST disconnect most perceptions of keypressing in order to achieve faster consecutive keystrokes.

This is similar to people who subvocalize as they read.  if they do not discontinue sub-vocalization , they will always read slowly..

On the keyboard, if you keep minding how a key feels, or are at all uncertain of where the next key is. you will never reach the 100wpm level..

Offline stolenweapon

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 05:37:43 »
makes no difference. took a while for me to switch to hhkb layout for the first time, but now its easy
OTD 356CL Black | 2x OTD 356CL Gunmetal | OTD 356.2 Factory Gray Ano 1/2 | 2x OTD 356.2 Blue Grey | 2x OTD 356mini Military Green | 5x OTD 356mini Red | OTD 356mini Black | 9x OTD 360C Apple Silver | 2x OTD 360C Hyper Grey | OTD 356L | 2x OTD 356N MKII Black | OTD 456GT Pink & Black | 3x OTD 356 Pad (2x Black, 1x Military Green) | 2x OTD Koala WKL Silver & Black | OTD Koala WK Silver & Black

TGR Jane V2 Pink Prototype 1/1 | TGR Jane V2 1/2 Brushed Toblerone Weight | 8x TGR Jane V2 | 6x TGR Jane CE V2 | TGR 910RE | TGR 910 VKC | TGR Alice Purple 1/5 | TGR Alice Red | TGR-03 | TGR Tris

LZ-SE | 3x LZ-RE | LZ-CP | LZ-MP SE

Keycult No.2 Stainless Steel | 2x KMAC Happy | 2x DK Saver MX & Alps

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 07:20:55 »
I only use standard layouts, in 100% or TKL form.

I've tried to use 60% layouts, but they are too limiting and slow.

Offline nogoodnames444

• I like keyboards
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 02:41:35 »
for me there are a lot of things that will bug me when I get used to a new board like the keycaps and how they are shaped and how the switches feel

Offline rxc92

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 03:02:28 »
No time really, I'm fine with about anything if the layout isn't too strange.