Author Topic: Where is the static capacitance keyboard stronger than the mechanical keyboard?  (Read 2776 times)

Offline Annaa

• Allicdata Semiconductor Limited
The price of a static capacitive keyboard is much more expensive than that of a general mechanical keyboard. What is the stronger capacitive keyboard than mechanical keyboard?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
More reliable
Smoother
Inherent NKRO
Chatter resistant
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
If you grew up on Rubber dome keyboards where all the pressure is at the top, and it releases immediately after the dome-buckles,  then something like Topre will feel NATURAL to you.

The only difference between topre and regular rubber dome is that topre actuates at ~2mm.

In terms of PERFORMANCE, like Typing-Speed, Typing-Accuracy,   the switch style/ technology has very little influence.

I am 135wpm on Cherry MX,  I am 135wpm on Standard Rubber Dome,  I am 135wpm on Topre Domes, 

I AM slightly faster on Laptop keys, but that is only because when it comes to absolute speed,  Timing keystrokes is easier when the key travel is reduced.

Unless you are at the 120+ lvl, you will not be able to take advantage of reduced keystroke distance, but this may be relevant in the future if you decide you want to type fast.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
More reliable - It is calculated that the most prolific published authors in history would only wear out at most 2 cherry mx keyboards

Smoother - If the slider is round, (Topre) it will typically be smoother because the friction surface is reduced due to the shape

Inherent NKRO - Not terribly useful, because games are typically not multi-keystroke dependent

Chatter resistant - I wouldn't say this is true, because if you meter the key it's probably moving up and down between 2 small values,  and the controller would have to implement some sort of hysteresis function to cope or use a step function large enough to cover the gap of the chatter.. In that way it's trading resolution for chatter..

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Chatter resistant - I wouldn't say this is true, because if you meter the key it's probably moving up and down between 2 small values,  and the controller would have to implement some sort of hysteresis function to cope or use a step function large enough to cover the gap of the chatter.. In that way it's trading resolution for chatter..
AFAIK all capacitive keyboards from major brands do exactly this. Has nothing whatsoever to do with resolution though.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
AFAIK all capacitive keyboards from major brands do exactly this. Has nothing whatsoever to do with resolution though.

I'm only saying,  it's not immune to chatter on the physics side,  as in , it must chatter,  but the chatter is of a different flavor..

Offline Findecanor

If we're talking about Topre Realforce, you pay more also for the "Made In Japan" sticker ...

They also don't compromise (much) on quality.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 August 2018, 09:39:10 by Findecanor »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.

I'm only saying,  it's not immune to chatter on the physics side,  as in , it must chatter,  but the chatter is of a different flavor..
Well, more specifically then, it has no contact bounce :p . If you simplify it like that, there's no real point in discussing the point at all, though, as any switch design would suffer from it.

Offline ag36

Also adjustable actuation point on new topre, I have no use of it but sounds cool.
Model M*5, SSK*4, M13 black*1, Model F XT*1, AT*1 F107*1, Unicomp*1, 3278 *1, Leopold FC750R*2, 980M*2 FC980C*1 Filco majestouch 2 TKL*1, Cooler Master MasterKeys S PBT*1, Uniqey Q100*2, Ducky pocket*1, KBD75*2, KBD19X*2, HHKB pro 2*1, Type-S*1 Topre Realforce RGB*1, 108 all 30g*1, numpad*1, 87U*1 Dell AT101W*2, Alps64*2, V80 matias quiet click*2, Quiet liner *1, WYSE ASCII *1

Offline Tactile

Inherent NKRO

Some, but not all, have NKRO. My Model F122 is NKRO. My RF87UB55 and HHKB are both 6KRO. But I have seen that Topre claim NKRO for the Realforce. Maybe they've changed something. I bought mine from Elite Keyboards 2 years ago.

The Leopold FC980C is 6KRO, as well.
REΛLFORCE

Offline Findecanor

I think he meant that it was inherent in how keystroke sensing is done. Then it is limited in the USB interface code.
6KRO is not technically NKRO but it is just as good for any single user's practical purposes.
(If you are two or more users in a game, plug in a second keyboard! If you are playing music, get a real clavier!)

Offline jamster

If we're talking about Topre Realforce, you pay more also for the "Made In Japan" sticker ...

Where would you say that they compromise on quality? Genuinely curious- I've got a RF but I've never opened it up. My only complaint about it is the case looks like it was designed in the 80s.

Offline FenixtheCorgi

Where would you say that they compromise on quality? Genuinely curious- I've got a RF but I've never opened it up. My only complaint about it is the case looks like it was designed in the 80s.
I mean, looking like it's designed in the 80s can be a positive thing for some people. Personally I think Topre makes one of the nicest looking keyboards of any big maker right now. How can you resist opening up a Realforce and spending a little time typing on it? :p
Current boards-
Daily Driver- IBM Pingmaster (Alps SKCC Greens)
Second fiddle- IBM Model M
Board I carry with me- Kingston HyperX (Cherry MX blues)
Boards I break out on occasion, or for LAN parties
Apple Extended Keyboard II (Alps SKCM Cream)
Chicony KB-5161 (With SMK 2nd generation!)

Offline Polymer

I think RF's look nice...to be honest, I thought the fat look of the older models was weird but you get used to it and it looks nice after awhile...

Looking forward to the R2 as I think waiting for that launch has stalled (if it wasn't already) some of the manufacturing of the older line.

Quality wise, I think RF is really solid..some people want a more rigid or heavier case...but I think it does exactly what you want it to...strikes really good balance as far as weight/solid/build quality...and by design the things are absolutely rock solid...

Does anyone know if the R2s will have PBT spacebars? 

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
I think he meant that it was inherent in how keystroke sensing is done. Then it is limited in the USB interface code.
6KRO is not technically NKRO but it is just as good for any single user's practical purposes.
(If you are two or more users in a game, plug in a second keyboard! If you are playing music, get a real clavier!)
Yes, that is correct, that's exactly what I was trying to get at.

The 6KRO limited by the USB interface works in a different way from the rollover we normally discuss which is limited through blocking. USB limitation doesn't manifest in new keys getting blocked, but in old keys getting erased.

Offline Findecanor

USB limitation doesn't manifest in new keys getting blocked, but in old keys getting erased.
Actually, different keyboards do one or the other.

But yes, Topre Realforce is one of those keyboards that do "auto-release" old key presses when the 6-key limit is reached. At least my Topre keyboard does.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
USB limitation doesn't manifest in new keys getting blocked, but in old keys getting erased.
Actually, different keyboards do one or the other.

But yes, Topre Realforce is one of those keyboards that do "auto-release" old key presses when the 6-key limit is reached. At least my Topre keyboard does.
Ah, interesting, I didn't know some used a blocker instead. All my ones use the erase method.