Author Topic: Radon fans  (Read 2965 times)

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Radon fans
« on: Sun, 21 August 2022, 11:17:12 »
Update: installed, very silent, can't hear it at all.

Tp4 thinks he has unraveled the mystery of why the bearings burned out on the first pump.

The pipe has its own space in the basement slab, but it's then duct to the sump pump basin.

When the rain is heavy that basin floods, and the first radon pump would be pulling against a vaccum (water). So there'd be no airflow going across through the pump, which it relies upon for cooling, it's around 2500-3000 rpm, so it's pretty fast with a large mass.

There is an on off switch that Tp4 did not notice before, it's outdoors. and it must be for the exact situation where you'd turn off the pump, if there's rainwater amassing in the sump basin.

You guys haz ne experience ?

Which brand is gud' ?

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
Re: Radon fans
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 21 August 2022, 17:54:19 »
Sapphire, XFX, ASRock, & Power Color - I tend to get Sapphire or Power Color's cards, I've run an Asus HD7870 back in the day, but it wasn't a good OC'er compared to the Sapphire & PC cards I've had or have (have a RX 580 8GB in my son's rig - clocks very well)

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 21 August 2022, 18:06:20 »

Tp4 talkn' these bois.  Radon vs Radeon

290607-0

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 21 August 2022, 18:19:46 »
Radon, isn't that poisonous?
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 21 August 2022, 19:06:48 »

ah.... not sure actually.. supposedly there's some controversey.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 21 August 2022, 19:42:22 »

there's some controversey.

Radon is radioactive, although there are only tiny amounts of it. Sometimes it accumulates in basements if the conditions are right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radon
"Cohen has been described as a “fixer,” a guy who gets things done, who cleans up messes and who calms the waters in a crisis. But mostly, it seems that Cohen was a lackey.
He wasn’t someone telling Trump hard truths to make sure that he was protected. Cohen was the guy who simply wanted to make sure that Trump was placated. He wanted the boss to be happy. Cohen wasn’t using his clout or connections to turn the tide in Trump’s favor.
He was just another person whose ambitions and self-worth had become intertwined with Trump, someone who as federal investigators closed in on him, as he lied and then lied some more, he had to be reminded by his wife, his daughter and his son that Trump was neither his salvation, nor was he someone worth saving." 2024-05-14 comment

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 22 August 2022, 02:17:15 »
this radon detector is my raison d'etre

Offline Coreda

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 22 August 2022, 03:15:22 »
Sapphire, XFX, ASRock, & Power Color - I tend to get Sapphire or Power Color's cards, I've run an Asus HD7870 back in the day, but it wasn't a good OC'er compared to the Sapphire & PC cards I've had or have (have a RX 580 8GB in my son's rig - clocks very well)

I don't blame you. One of the few tp threads that's what it says on the tin :p

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 22 August 2022, 05:43:07 »

I don't blame you. One of the few tp threads that's what it says on the tin :p

Radon fan went brrrzzzzzzzzzzzwwwrrrrrrrrr.... bearn's'gon

Offline yui

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 28 August 2022, 12:29:27 »
radon, the gas that decays in your lung into a radioactive heavy metal, rather fun stuff, can't say i have a favorite one, i have not tried many flavors :)
there is radon where i live, it is why all old houses with caves have big vents to the outside built in to the caves, so that the radon that comes from the ground do not accumulate to dangerous levels, never bothered even looking for a detector though.
and i am sad that it was actually radon and not radeon that TP was talking about, so many possible jokes lost :)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 14 September 2022, 14:33:25 »
Update: installed, very silent, can't hear it at all.

Tp4 thinks he has unraveled the mystery of why the bearings burned out on the first pump.

The pipe has its own space in the basement slab, but it's then duct to the sump pump basin.

When the rain is heavy that basin floods, and the first radon pump would be pulling against a vaccum (water). So there'd be no airflow going across through the pump, which it relies upon for cooling, it's around 2500-3000 rpm, so it's pretty fast with a large mass.

There is an on off switch that Tp4 did not notice before, it's outdoors. and it must be for the exact situation where you'd turn off the pump, if there's rainwater amassing in the sump basin.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 14 September 2022, 15:42:20 »
Sounds like you need to install a snorkel in the sump pump basin?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 14 September 2022, 16:12:04 »
snorkel with the goggles ? or is that another term for something.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 14 September 2022, 17:23:14 »

rainwater amassing in the sump basin.

Radon accumulates pretty slowly, you could keep it turned off for days during large rain events without risking too much, especially if you don't spend a lot of time in the basement.
"Cohen has been described as a “fixer,” a guy who gets things done, who cleans up messes and who calms the waters in a crisis. But mostly, it seems that Cohen was a lackey.
He wasn’t someone telling Trump hard truths to make sure that he was protected. Cohen was the guy who simply wanted to make sure that Trump was placated. He wanted the boss to be happy. Cohen wasn’t using his clout or connections to turn the tide in Trump’s favor.
He was just another person whose ambitions and self-worth had become intertwined with Trump, someone who as federal investigators closed in on him, as he lied and then lied some more, he had to be reminded by his wife, his daughter and his son that Trump was neither his salvation, nor was he someone worth saving." 2024-05-14 comment

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 14 September 2022, 18:00:30 »
Radon accumulates pretty slowly, you could keep it turned off for days during large rain events without risking too much, especially if you don't spend a lot of time in the basement.

LIES,,, fohat tries murdar Tp4..

Offline yui

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 15 September 2022, 12:33:08 »

LIES,,, fohat tries murdar Tp4..

well unless you store nuclear waste, it does accumulate really slowly it need to sip through the stone and ground, it is never going to be a fast process.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 15 September 2022, 13:04:45 »
snorkel with the goggles ? or is that another term for something.
To me a snorkel is any tube that connects something that needs air with the air that is above water.  Divers use them with goggles and proper 4x4 vehicles often have them so they can go through rivers without flooding their engines - why not put one on a fan vent?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 15 September 2022, 14:39:24 »
To me a snorkel is any tube that connects something that needs air with the air that is above water.  Divers use them with goggles and proper 4x4 vehicles often have them so they can go through rivers without flooding their engines - why not put one on a fan vent?

yea, it works like a snorkel on the other end is a tube that goes into a hole with gravel, the some other pipes open to the sump system.

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 06 October 2022, 07:35:20 »
I thought this was asking if people were fans of well known movie kaiju Rodan, known in Japan as Radon.
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D