Author Topic: HHKB Studio  (Read 4684 times)

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
HHKB Studio
« on: Wed, 18 October 2023, 07:31:31 »
What are your guys thoughts on the new HHKB reveal/leak? Are you looking forward to it, or is this the last straw?

https://www.reddit.com/r/HHKB/comments/17ab77k/hhkb_studio_leaks/
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
Re: HHKB Studio
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 22 October 2023, 20:06:30 »
Don't know why the made it mx, the reason why I want a hhkb is because topre is so nice (at least 55g is to me lol)

hhkb is overpriced already adding mx makes it worse especially if it's remotely near the same price of the og hhkb.

IDK this feels really dumb, but I guess mx is more versatile when it comes to compatibility and customisable so I kinda understand the change.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline Raenbo

• IG: @aero_keys
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 24 October 2023, 11:46:33 »
No Topre? What the hell  :'(

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 24 October 2023, 11:51:48 »
Well you can buy it now...

449 usd 329. They put a sale on a product that hasn't been released before, that's illegal in several countries.

Like why does this exist. You can get a full metal custom cheaper than this.

Also 2.50 a switch is insane. It makes zeal switches look well priced in comparison.

I'll link everything if you want to check it out.
HHKB Studio
The tinymakethings collab HHKB studio, 20usd more
The switches of the board
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline Tactile

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 24 October 2023, 13:21:37 »
I'll just stick with my pair of old Pro2s.
REΛLFORCE

Offline Magnifikaz

• Yearning Yellow
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 24 October 2023, 15:29:22 »
Dedicated mx on hhkb branding feels off to me.  If they wanted to get into the mx market, perhaps it would be better under a fresh product line/brand to have its own identity.  I have very limited marketing knowledge but given overall community feedback, most are disappointed it's not topre, or at the very least, sliders, which is understandable as expectation of hhkb is topre.

TBH, I just want more keyset options... Bring back blank coloured sets, please!
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 October 2023, 15:31:11 by Magnifikaz »

Offline phototristan

• https://www.youtube.com/phototristan
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 24 October 2023, 22:10:28 »
Video for the release:

lc=Ugz60eVd7rKHSdy8bAF4AaABAg.9wG8yQgrcG79wH5EFlpsrJ

I can't get behind it with no Topres though. Sticking with my HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S.

Offline phototristan

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 24 October 2023, 22:13:45 »
Like why does this exist.

Probably for the ability to not have to use a mouse at all. They probably did a bunch of testing and the design works well and make sense. Maybe if people like it enough, they will release a Topre version in the future, hopefully.

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 24 October 2023, 22:22:16 »
Probably for the ability to not have to use a mouse at all. They probably did a bunch of testing and the design works well and make sense. Maybe if people like it enough, they will release a Topre version in the future, hopefully.

I guess that makes sense. I was referring mainly to that it has mx switches instead of topre.

Agree with magnifikaz that it should've had it's own branding, hhkb is too tied to topre. But I can understand why, since people know of hhkb and they wanted to keep the layout which is fair, the layout is one of the best.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline phototristan

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 24 October 2023, 22:27:20 »
It seems to make sense for them from a sales perspective. Now they have an MX capable board with their layout and some cool features, to capture some of the MX market.

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 24 October 2023, 22:43:24 »
It seems to make sense for them from a sales perspective. Now they have an MX capable board with their layout and some cool features, to capture some of the MX market.

ehhh to diversify It makes sense, more people do use mx after all. But idk I feel it is a mistep for them,

Maybe make these topre domes have mx sliders, similar to what deskeys do. Or just make ec linear could be good (Idk how feasible that is) think that bridges the two together and would make it far less unpopular among enthusiasts while still appealing to people who like mx.

I don't think people would've cared too much if it was a new product, but because it was a hhkb/branded like a hhkb people got upset by it.

want to know other peoples thoughts on this, love new discussion.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline phototristan

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 24 October 2023, 22:57:59 »
Well at least they are calling it 'Studio' which seems is supposed to mean it's a  lower board than 'Pro'.

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 25 October 2023, 01:29:00 »
Well at least they are calling it 'Studio' which seems is supposed to mean it's a  lower board than 'Pro'.

it's still similarly priced, which is weird though (in a lot of instances it would be more expensive to buy this over a type s)

this is why it baffles me, if it was a lot cheaper than this it would make a lot of sense, but the new features and similar price tag make me think otherwise. idk it's just so weird to me.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 25 October 2023, 08:35:27 »
it'd be awesome if they had made like a new mx style integrated dome switch like the old alps ones but nah just boring silent linear
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline Belfong

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 25 October 2023, 09:53:53 »
I, for one, would love to see an arrow keys cluster. I know it’s not in HHKB spirit, but so was that joystick as a mouse and MX keys. Since they are not going with HHKB spirit and design, why not arrow keys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 25 October 2023, 10:19:33 »
i dont see why. imo diamond arrow key cluster is better than standard too cuz the directions the keys are in actually makes sense

Offline wjrii

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 25 October 2023, 13:19:10 »
Seems like there's also a market for HHKBs among people who are not otherwise "into" keyboards.  They want the compact little thing that've seen coworkers use, and they want to replace their laptop setup.  Maybe their company is paying for it.  They aren't going to win over the people who know that there are any number of PCBs and pre-builts that support the HHKB layout on an MX platform, but if you're going for the coder who hasn't previously been into keyboards and is maybe only going to own the one, this ticks a lot of boxes, including a demonstrably better experience than any membrane board or scissor switch laptop they've been using.  If this new model means fewer Topres get sold and they become harder to source, then that's sad, but as a bit of market segmentation and differentiation, I totally get it. 

Offline Belfong

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 25 October 2023, 17:19:42 »
i dont see why. imo diamond arrow key cluster is better than standard too cuz the directions the keys are in actually makes sense
I need to press a Fn key to activate arrow key is the main reason.

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 25 October 2023, 20:31:02 »
While I personally prefer diamond arrow, and use it on all of my boards. I do think it would've been better to change the layout to something that has arrows. I think an interesting layout for the new board could've been 65xt, as it allows f-row access without an fn key, still compact and has arrows.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 26 October 2023, 07:45:07 »
I need to press a Fn key to activate arrow key is the main reason.

doesnt really make a difference unless u have no pinky

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 27 October 2023, 09:44:03 »
do we know the price? why the heck is this thing non-topre. 
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 27 October 2023, 10:07:38 »
$329 MSRP according to Tom's Hardware's review.

Offline selsik

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 29 October 2023, 05:48:51 »
No Topre = no buy

Pass
Topre >>> MX

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 29 October 2023, 06:39:27 »
Tuned into to lightning's stream about the hhkb. And after watching the stream my opinions changed slightly.

Still would not get this, would rather get an mx hhkb and the features like the trackpad and mouse buttons don't appeal to me. But I do see the point of a keyboard like this, like there are people who can take advantage of the features that the board has, and who prefer mx. Still a very niche product, which most enthusiasts won't like.

One interesting thing to note is that the preorder for the board in japan sold out, so there are people who were looking for this. I feel that it could be people who were looking for a hhkb experience without topre, because of how used they are to mx and honestly doesn't bother me as much anymore.

Plus Cipulot being the legend he is said that a topre pcb is in the works so hopefully everyone has the options they want, which is for the good of everyone and kinda what I am saying here.

(also this is not me defending the price, it is still not really worth it from a value point of view and 2.50 a switch is so insanely exorbitant it's ridiculous)
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 29 October 2023, 10:01:12 »
I just want topre HHKB with arrows. That's it...
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline phototristan

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 29 October 2023, 10:10:32 »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 29 October 2023, 10:53:29 »

Get yourself a Realforce: https://hhkeyboard.us/realforce/REALFORCE-R2/sku/cg01000-290501
Leopold used to make a 65% with Topre switches.
Neither of these two have HHKB layout though.

BTW. I just learned that the 6u space bar is non-standard:  A 6.25u space bar fits, but to make it fit you'd have to use 1.25u Meta keys and get gaps to the 1u keys on the sides.

Offline phinix

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 29 October 2023, 13:32:21 »

Get yourself a Realforce: https://hhkeyboard.us/realforce/REALFORCE-R2/sku/cg01000-290501

I had maybe 20 different topre boards in my life.
I have couple realforces now as well.
I said I want topre hhkb with arrows, cause I had many hhkbs and coudln't handle it without arrows. Plus hhkb with arrows in not topre, so want one with topre.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline kidviddy

• 駄日記
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 29 October 2023, 16:46:55 »
I said I want topre hhkb with arrows

Get yourself an HHKB Professional JP: https://hhkb.io/models/HHKB_Professional_JP/ ANSI is for losers

Offline phinix

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 29 October 2023, 17:34:09 »

Get yourself an HHKB Professional JP: https://hhkb.io/models/HHKB_Professional_JP/ ANSI is for losers

That layout would mess up my head ;)

Offline selsik

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 30 October 2023, 01:24:38 »

One of the very first lessons that people should learn from this hobby: you can have it all but you can't have everything.
Topre >>> MX

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 30 October 2023, 05:14:47 »
Not sure if this is known, but the spacebar is 6u with 6.25 spacing. They really don't want you to have different keycaps.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline phinix

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 30 October 2023, 07:12:01 »

One of the very first lessons that people should learn from this hobby: you can have it all but you can't have everything.

I think we all know that :)

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 30 October 2023, 13:54:12 »

I think we all know that :)

i rememeber a few years ago, i think?, you were buying and reselling HHKBs wanting to love them but hating the layout. @phinix did you ever settle?  HHKB is life my friend.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid