Author Topic: Can anyone figure out this PCB?  (Read 3478 times)

Offline cribbit

Can anyone figure out this PCB?
« on: Fri, 21 October 2016, 01:45:23 »
Board from here

Wondering if anyone wants to try their hand at tracing this PCB.

http://imgur.com/a/EY5vo (someone else taking apart a different ML board)

Cherry ML switches have four rather than 2 pins. This allows for rows to be continued through the switch if desired, essentially creating a two-layer PCB allowing the manufacturer to only need a one layer PCB. Three pins on the top, one on the bottom. The left and right on the top connect to each other (b pins), the top middle and bottom pin (a pins) are only connected by the switch itself. The a pin between the b pins is connected to them. That is; the three top pins are connected, while the bottom pin is across the switch from them.

Tracing this is actually proving really annoying. There's what you would expect the matrix to be (which is what the imgur album above shows in a different board), and then there's what this board does.

Other teardown
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Can anyone figure out this PCB?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 21 October 2016, 02:25:48 »
I love these challenges but I have to go to work :(

After a quick look on my phone it doesn't look very weird - have you tried using the handy row/column grouped pins and standard grid matrix firmware seen what comes out?

I'll be back tonight :))
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline cribbit

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 21 October 2016, 02:48:53 »
I love these challenges but I have to go to work :(

After a quick look on my phone it doesn't look very weird - have you tried using the handy row/column grouped pins and standard grid matrix firmware seen what comes out?

I'll be back tonight :))

It's probably not actually that bad, but it just doesn't follow any real pattern. It randomly will use the top or bottom pin as the 'entrance' pin, rows/cols in its matrix do not correlate with the physical rows/cols and it uses every possible use case of the 'b' pins.

I'm also still not 100% sure if the b pins are actually connected to the top a pin.

I also haven't spent very long on this, as I'm focusing more on my custom build right now.
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 21 October 2016, 04:11:09 »
/head scratch..

wouldn't it be easier and faster to just make a new layout ?

Offline cribbit

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 21 October 2016, 10:31:47 »
/head scratch..

wouldn't it be easier and faster to just make a new layout ?

Not sure what you mean. Use software based key mapping? I could, but that takes the fun out of it.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 21 October 2016, 11:15:35 »
Rows :
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 21 October 2016, 12:29:32 »
You have the PCB in hand, right?
Instead of looking at the traces, you could probe the matrix using a multimeter in continuity testing mode. Whenever you have found a match, the multimeter will beep.
If you are doing any kind of electronics, you should have one anyway.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 October 2016, 12:34:05 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 14:51:57 »
Sorry, got caught straight from work yesterday but here it is - not very strange.  Big dots are rows, small ones columns.  There are only a couple of times the bridge was used to jump a row not connected to the actual switch...

I re-used colours on the columns but needless to say they are not connected on the opposite end of the board :))

GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 08:00:48 »
That's what I got as well (will scan my chicken scratch in if there's any interest). Weird that it's an 8x15 matrix to accomplish a 6x16 board though, right?

Offline Fictiouz

• That "White" Guy
  • "You miss 100% of the shots you take." -S. Trooper
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 08:05:03 »
That's what I got as well (will scan my chicken scratch in if there's any interest). Weird that it's an 8x15 matrix to accomplish a 6x16 board though, right?

Was just thinking of that. Highly inefficient IMO.
Halifax, NS Meetup | "I know you'll come back to me, I'm like a good kind of herpes, I'm impossible to get rid of." - 27
67g Zilent V2 M60-A | BKE Redux HHKB Professional 2 | 62g Silent Black Planck | 62g Vint Black Tex Yoda II | Bolt-Modded Model M 1391301

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 10:39:02 »
Was just thinking of that. Highly inefficient IMO.
Especially since the ML jumper lets you thread the columns and rows in a simple grid on one layer of the pcb. This would have been so much cleaner had they done that and used up one fewer i/o pins as well. I just kind of look at this and think, "well, I guess someone must have a reason to do it this way, but damned if I can figure out what."

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 02:55:07 »
I can only guess the design is an attempt at anti-ghosting as there are no diodes to be seen, but that usually results in a crazier layout.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 07:18:41 »
I can only guess the design is an attempt at anti-ghosting as there are no diodes to be seen, but that usually results in a crazier layout.
That makes more sense that anything I can think of, especially since I can confirm that they did skip including diodes. No idea why they'd skimp out on a couple bucks of diodes on a keyboard that carried a $140 MSRP, but they definitely did.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 10:57:43 »
I wonder if the owner of Genovation Inc still uses one of these, maybe he has his endgame, made his exit, have been using the keyboard for years and until eternity
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline cribbit

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 12:09:08 »
I wonder if the owner of Genovation Inc still uses one of these, maybe he has his endgame, made his exit, have been using the keyboard for years and until eternity

I don't think anyone would consider these thick pad printed legends end game. They feel so weird.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 12:13:57 »
I had no idea about this by the way: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PLUM_keyboard
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days