Author Topic: ErgoDox EZ Campaign now live  (Read 3881 times)

Offline pnutster

ErgoDox EZ Campaign now live
« on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 10:10:19 »
I remember a topic I read was already out there, but while doing a search, no results came up. Hopefully I am not double posting.

Just a note for people who are looking for a (pre-assembled) ErgoDox and have time to wait a while (estimate is around Christmas 2015), the ErgoDox EZ Indiegogo campaign is out.

Don't see a Massdrop for the ErgoDox coming soon. Last soldering I did was about 25 years ago and that was a mess! So I am in on this one :)

More info: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ergodox-ez-an-incredible-mechanical-keyboard/x/10326484#home
Kinesis Advantage
Logitech Cordless Trackman FX Optical Trackball
Apple TrackPad

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: ErgoDox EZ Campaign now live
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 11:23:05 »
LMAO

The world's best ergonomic mechanical keyboard
Maltron or Kinesis may have a word with you.
But why should it be so hard to get?
It's open source. You can literally make it by yourself. There are even few vendors carrying parts: Massdrop every now and then, FalbaTech, mechanicalkeyboards.com; SP have some keycaps all the time; diodes and stuff are always available from Digikey or some equivalent store.
Right now, you can only get this keyboard as a kit which you must solder together on your own, and these kits are available only once in a while.
False. Counterexample: FalbaTech
It’s a tactile, mechanical keyboard.
WTF
you can customize the ErgoDox's key layout in any way you can imagine. You don’t need to be a programmer to do this.
Simply use the outdated GUI developed by Massdrop, your competitor.
Right now, you can choose between two main kinds of assembled mechanical keyboards: You have the compact “retro” ones like the Happy Hacking keyboard, or the large ergonomic ones like the Kinesis Advantage. The ErgoDox is a mechanical keyboard design that is both compact and ergonomic.
Truly Ergonomic or creators of the microTron may have a word with you.
Just like high-end headphones have an audio jack rather than a fixed cable
Not really.
The keys have more travel, and everything is more tactile.
wat.
We will be including PBT DCS keycaps — nothing but the best.
lol

tl;dr I have too much common sense to write ads.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 11:51:33 »
There is definitely a thread on this already.  The general conclusion is that the price is so suspiciously low that these guys are very unlikely to actually deliver.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 14:26:06 »
There is definitely a thread on this already.  The general conclusion is that the price is so suspiciously low that these guys are very unlikely to actually deliver.

The price is fine and non-suspicious

Anything imported from china runs 60% profit on average.

Yes, their website descriptions could be spruced up a bit..

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 14:53:20 »
Yeah, the price isn't anything extraordinary. The lowest price is $190 + $30 shipping, add customs/taxes/whatever. Being in Europe, that's already on par with a bit smarter assembly from FalbaTech.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 18:05:28 »
I remember a topic I read was already out there, but while doing a search, no results came up.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69700
also Deskthority: http://deskthority.net/-f44/-t10117.html

(hint for future searches: use google. https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=ergodox%2Dez%20site%3Ageekhack.org)
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 March 2015, 18:09:33 by jacobolus »

Offline pnutster

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 18:55:48 »
Kinesis Advantage
Apple TrackPad

Offline Gloomy Moonie

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 18:49:35 »
More
LMAO

The world's best ergonomic mechanical keyboard
Maltron or Kinesis may have a word with you.
But why should it be so hard to get?
It's open source. You can literally make it by yourself. There are even few vendors carrying parts: Massdrop every now and then, FalbaTech, mechanicalkeyboards.com; SP have some keycaps all the time; diodes and stuff are always available from Digikey or some equivalent store.
Right now, you can only get this keyboard as a kit which you must solder together on your own, and these kits are available only once in a while.
False. Counterexample: FalbaTech
It’s a tactile, mechanical keyboard.
WTF
you can customize the ErgoDox's key layout in any way you can imagine. You don’t need to be a programmer to do this.
Simply use the outdated GUI developed by Massdrop, your competitor.
Right now, you can choose between two main kinds of assembled mechanical keyboards: You have the compact “retro” ones like the Happy Hacking keyboard, or the large ergonomic ones like the Kinesis Advantage. The ErgoDox is a mechanical keyboard design that is both compact and ergonomic.
Truly Ergonomic or creators of the microTron may have a word with you.
Just like high-end headphones have an audio jack rather than a fixed cable
Not really.
The keys have more travel, and everything is more tactile.
wat.
We will be including PBT DCS keycaps — nothing but the best.
lol

tl;dr I have too much common sense to write ads.

Lol'd, +1.
Have had the same thoughts when I first saw the campaign, but hey, at least they have that neat case going for them. Ever since I saw lkong's 3D printed case I've been obsessing over trying to figure out how to get one for myself.
By the way, I've never got around to thanking you for the blues you've sent me, which turned out to be smoother than the vintage blacks I have. Need to see how they stack against Gaterons though.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 13:51:14 »
Glad you like dem blues. I'm surprised you find them *that* smoother though, but that's just me and my insensitive hands. Although, I've heard even more people praise the old/vintage blues.

Offline pnutster

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 11:07:37 »
It's a great day for Ergonomic keyboards! The ErgoDox Indiegogo project has reached full funding! Very exciting about that. Now, still need to wait until Christmas, but got a good daily driver to overcome that long wait.

They're talking about a "stretch" goal being announced soon. Hopefully this is some sort of tenting-feature, rooting for that one.
Kinesis Advantage
Apple TrackPad

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 01:33:37 »
There seems to be very little interest in modifying the ergodox such that the thumb keys are less of a stretch. I'm pretty sure my hands are not unusually small (they're on the small side but probably like at 25 percentile rather than 0.0001 percentile). The current ergodox design should be for the top 40 percentile of hand size (women included) which is not ideal for many people.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.