Author Topic: ErgoDox with built-in Tenting and Tilting  (Read 3149 times)

Offline pnutster

ErgoDox with built-in Tenting and Tilting
« on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 17:17:50 »
Only 33 hours left to get your hands on this pre-built ErgoDox. If it reaches 70K. It will get built-in tilting and tenting!!! That I think would set this project ahead of any other ErgoDox project. LED's or LCD's or what not. What good is an Ergodox flat on a desk??!!

Really rooting for this project to reach the goal for tilting and tenting!

Order yours here: http://goo.gl/GECUuj

Kinesis Advantage
Logitech Cordless Trackman FX Optical Trackball
Apple TrackPad

Offline jacobolus

Re: ErgoDox with built-in Tenting and Tilting
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 17:56:07 »

Offline pnutster

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 18:29:01 »
So sorry, I am so stoked about this project.
Kinesis Advantage
Apple TrackPad

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 20:08:43 »
I hope they put teeth on the side that the tent-legs meet the case.

two smooth plastic surfaces won't stay in one position with just a tension screw. Especially since it's a lever arm.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 20:20:58 »
It looks like their plan is to put metal teeth there, and also make the legs entirely out of metal. I’m somewhat skeptical of this design though. There’s going to be a lot of torque put on the legs if someone leans on the keyboard, or if something hits it, especially when the legs are turned away from perpendicular to the table, so the whole thing needs to be very sturdy. Also, it looks like many possible tilt angles are going to require the three points touching the table to not be very well centered around the keyboard’s center of mass; I hope pressing keys in the corner of the board with an angled press doesn’t cause the keyboard to start tipping. Finally, I wonder if they can get a sufficiently large and grippy sphere at the end of each leg to hold the keyboard still and prevent it from sliding all over the place.

Still, it’s an interesting idea. I’d love to see one in person to better judge. It would be nice if they’d show a video of someone setting the legs to different angles and typing, especially if they had a metal prototype.

Offline Snarfangel

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 20:37:25 »
It looks like their plan is to put metal teeth there, and also make the legs entirely out of metal. I�m somewhat skeptical of this design though. There�s going to be a lot of torque put on the legs if someone leans on the keyboard, or if something hits it, especially when the legs are turned away from perpendicular to the table, so the whole thing needs to be very sturdy. Also, it looks like many possible tilt angles are going to require the three points touching the table to not be very well centered around the keyboard�s center of mass; I hope pressing keys in the corner of the board with an angled press doesn�t cause the keyboard to start tipping. Finally, I wonder if they can get a sufficiently large and grippy sphere at the end of each leg to hold the keyboard still and prevent it from sliding all over the place.

Still, it�s an interesting idea. I�d love to see one in person to better judge. It would be nice if they�d show a video of someone setting the legs to different angles and typing, especially if they had a metal prototype.

I agree with you. I am not sure if the idea will work as planned, but it is great that people are coming up with possible ways to tent and tilt without significantly increasing the cost or the work involved.

Offline Jersern

• Australian Keyboard Modding and Repair Service
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 03:20:58 »
I am totally interested in the one handed option (I don't want tenting with the IMO awful purple pegs and such) but I personally dislike the rounded case. I'd lkove if I could get a one hand with a standard case or just some metal plates... *sigh*
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 April 2015, 07:36:17 by Jersern »

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 09:54:07 »
Did we really need another thread about this?

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69700
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=70343 (you made this one last month)
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=70800
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=71276 (you just made this one yesterday)

Exactly; I don't think it is good to act like you're a sales tout. It comes off as desperate hard sell which is quite unnecessary because the project has been quite successful anyway. You have 70+ posts currently and most are about this topic.

In any case their ergodox totally fails to address the problem of the thumbs, so I am not interested. And I will tell people with small to mid size hands to stay away.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline pnutster

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 11:04:31 »
About my multi-posts, I am not affiliated or a sales person, just a bit too eager and too enthused in trying to get the word out about this project and possibly achieving the opposite. I sincerely apologize.

For the metal tenting/tilting pegs, I believe the purple ones are just (plastic) prototypes. The real ones (if that goal is made that is) will be metal. Don't think they will purple. Metal pegs, metal-to-metal connection and according to the article, they should withstand a lot of pressure.
Kinesis Advantage
Apple TrackPad

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 14:05:00 »
About my multi-posts, I am not affiliated or a sales person, just a bit too eager and too enthused in trying to get the word out about this project and possibly achieving the opposite. I sincerely apologize.

For the metal tenting/tilting pegs, I believe the purple ones are just (plastic) prototypes. The real ones (if that goal is made that is) will be metal. Don't think they will purple. Metal pegs, metal-to-metal connection and according to the article, they should withstand a lot of pressure.

I'm worried still.  2 inch is alotta torque,  Even if the metal to metal holes.. I'd be worried about cracking the case, because there's not a whole lotta material there..

I feel like the tenting stand-off kits are tried and true, and overall, look more elegant than the "bolt on" style legs.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 15:03:28 »

I'm worried still.  2 inch is alotta torque,  Even if the metal to metal holes.. I'd be worried about cracking the case, because there's not a whole lotta material there..

I feel like the tenting stand-off kits are tried and true, and overall, look more elegant than the "bolt on" style legs.

Hey this is a rare coherent post from you TP.

I agree with your concern. Can the plastic connection (the weakest link) survive being pounded on nonstop for one billion keypresses over the next 10 years?
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline pnutster

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 15:18:57 »

Which tenting kits are you referring to? The Kinesis V3 and VIP3 or are there any others?
Kinesis Advantage
Apple TrackPad

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 18:59:36 »

Which tenting kits are you referring to? The Kinesis V3 and VIP3 or are there any others?

The stand off kits.  + 40mm and 50mm m3-bolts,  m3 nuts also sold separately

The standoffs are what would hold the long screws together

http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-Standoff-Phillips-Screw/dp/B00CWEL9SO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1430006303&sr=8-3&keywords=standoffs

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 19:02:35 »

I'm worried still.  2 inch is alotta torque,  Even if the metal to metal holds.. I'd be worried about cracking the case, because there's not a whole lotta material there..

Hey this is a rare coherent post from you TP.

I agree with your concern. Can the plastic connection (the weakest link) survive being pounded on nonstop for one billion keypresses over the next 10 years?

Tp4 most bestest keyboarder..

Offline pnutster

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 11:07:27 »
Ah yes, I remember now having read about this tenting solution before. Not sure if these could be used in this ErgoDox variant as I am not sure if the bolts are on visible / available.

They actually extended the ErgoDox EZ project on IndieGogo with another month, as it appears they want the 70K to be reached, so that the tenting / tilting option is very likely going to be a valid extra option. That makes me very happy as I think tenting / tilting is a must-have.
Kinesis Advantage
Apple TrackPad

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 16:26:00 »
Ah yes, I remember now having read about this tenting solution before. Not sure if these could be used in this ErgoDox variant as I am not sure if the bolts are on visible / available.

They actually extended the ErgoDox EZ project on IndieGogo with another month, as it appears they want the 70K to be reached, so that the tenting / tilting option is very likely going to be a valid extra option. That makes me very happy as I think tenting / tilting is a must-have.

I'm all for tenting.. but the longer the lever arm,  the more dangerous the torque.. Hrrm...

I guess, it'd be ok to use a "weaker" plastic for the arm, so that instead of the case potentially cracking, the arm will just Break.

yea that makes sense.. hrrmm.

Offline pnutster

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 16:33:42 »
I'm all for tenting.. but the longer the lever arm,  the more dangerous the torque.. Hrrm...

I guess, it'd be ok to use a "weaker" plastic for the arm, so that instead of the case potentially cracking, the arm will just Break.

yea that makes sense.. hrrmm.

You're not supposed to sit on the keyboard!!!  :p
Kinesis Advantage
Apple TrackPad