Author Topic: Unhacking the wallet  (Read 344370 times)

Offline intelli78

Re: Unhacking the wallet in 2015 - confessions of an addict (warning: long)
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 22:58:47 »
Update...

Doing well almost two months in....

Have only bought one item I didn't plan for in OP.... a TECK from Binge.... also have sold some stuff that I was just sitting on...

The addiction is loosening its grip...
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #101 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 23:08:06 »

Update...

Doing well almost two months in....

Have only bought one item I didn't plan for in OP.... a TECK from Binge.... also have sold some stuff that I was just sitting on...

The addiction is loosening its grip...

You're doing much better than me, intelli.

I have a problem...

Good to hear at least one person is succeeding!  :D

Offline intelli78

« Reply #102 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 00:16:34 »
Okay...so accountability report... my spending is still well under control compared to last year. Resisted the black and silver Cheat in the classifieds, whew!

But... I just worked out a partial trade for the Retro DSA set from taylordcraig. And I'm getting a cheap Tipro to play with...

But I know where this leads...nowhere good.  I'm finding that my resolve increases the longer I resist buying...but even treating myself to something small is actually a considerable setback and makes it 10x easier to justify more!!

So I am refreshing my commitment and making a short term goal: I will purchase NOTHING else for the rest of March, not even a single OEM keycap. I can do this, one step at a time! Dont they have clinics for this kind of thing? Hold me accountable, Bros
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 March 2015, 00:18:27 by intelli78 »

Offline Belfong

« Reply #103 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 00:18:12 »
What if there is a Bro Caps sale in March?

Offline intelli78

« Reply #104 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 00:19:34 »
Well, since I never win, it won't matter if I skip it, right?

Offline Belfong

« Reply #105 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 00:20:58 »
Well, since I never win, it won't matter if I skip it, right?
ha ha ... we will be watching!  :cool:

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #106 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 00:47:50 »
92887-0

I'm glad to hear that you're able to maintain your discipline.  I, on the other hand, am getting ready to hack my wallet for the first time, for keyboard justice.  You and berserkfan have been the voices in my head, warning me to exercise caution and be responsible when considering keyboard purchasing decisions, but, this time, your sage advice is being drowned out by the sweet siren song of custom mechanical crack.

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #107 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 07:27:49 »
I have now learned in the months of late Feb and early March, wallethack is almost inevitable because of all the GB's and boards.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #108 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 07:49:26 »
I have now learned in the months of late Feb and early March, wallethack is almost inevitable because of all the GB's and boards.

My wallet has been affected also by some of the recent GBs, but I hope to keep it under control.

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #109 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 11:21:45 »
What would you consider worse:  struggling to unhack your wallet or struggling to get your wallet hacked in the first place?

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #110 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 11:27:05 »
the former, obviously. getting your wallet hacked in the first place is a guarantee once you signed up for the site. matter of time more than anything

intelli, what are your feelings on acquiring your grail board? and do you see yourself getting hack'd further this year?

Offline intelli78

« Reply #111 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 13:11:22 »
I feel very happy about the TA board, obviously, although it was not cheap. That's OK though, as it was a planned expense as mentioned in the OP.

So far I've bought a few items I didn't budget for in the OP, but my spending is much more under control now than it was last year. I've said "no" to a lot of stuff I wanted and that's built up my willpower to resist. It's definitely hard to change a habit like this and I feel guilty for breaking my own rules a couple times, but overall things are moving in the right direction for sure .Will provide more updates.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #112 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 13:25:18 »
the TA board is a real stunner, glad for ya

Offline Belfong

« Reply #113 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 07:30:39 »

the former, obviously. getting your wallet hacked in the first place is a guarantee once you signed up for the site. matter of time more than anything

intelli, what are your feelings on acquiring your grail board? and do you see yourself getting hack'd further this year?
I know intelli was looking for a TA and even offered finders fee. I didn't realize intelli was the OP of this thread. My spirit is broken! The only person whom I thought is wise turned out to break his own promises! I'm disillusioned! I should spend spend spend!

/joke!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator

Offline intelli78

« Reply #115 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 11:29:29 »
The TA board was a planned expense though as per OP

Offline effectiveduck

« Reply #116 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 04:15:43 »
Solid read, I'm finding myself in the same position, I spent all the money I made during a contracting job (probably 1/3 on keyboard related stuff) and I definitely regret buying most of it. But I see it as a learning experience, next time I go to buy something I hope that I'll take a second and really think, it definitely gave me a greater appreciation for money, which is a good thing.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #117 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 09:18:16 »
It's actually very simple in the end.
  • Find a niche within a niche.
  • Be an objectivist.
The real issue is time.
  • It takes time and effort to stumble upon actually interesting posts/articles. Although, you can simply watch a few subforums, a couple of sites like KeyChatter and stalk some members.
  • Two relatively boring hours/days to clean/mod one keyboard, 'nuff said.
  • There's much more to keyboards than just the hardware. Layouts, firmware, UI settings. It takes time to get used to each change, and productivity may suffer in the meantime.
  • Global shipping times don't help.
For example, I was aspiring to become an ordinary audiophiliac^Waudiophile, but I've been lucky to find an alternative. I currently own 20 pairs of headphones; a dozen is 25 years old on average though, and cost about $50 (+ replacement ear pads or a cable) to acquire, on average. When in use, they're powered by an $100 amplifier just fine. Some blind testing, and I've realized that a relatively significant upgrade in sound would cost over $1000. I will buy your shiny HD 800 in 15 years, when it drops to €150 or less on German eBay. The end.

Similarly, there are members, who, say, don't buy anything made after '85.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #118 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 00:59:41 »
Another wallethack update from me: Know your limits and where you feel comfortable buying, and if you have agreed to something, make sure you have the money, and if you want something else, you might have to miss out on it. I think now I will be planning a budget out for what I actually want to buy, and set aside some money for if a sale comes up for keycaps or something, or just skip out on it and stick to my plan.

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #119 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 08:23:52 »
i have the wallethack syndrome too! But i havent reached the tipping point yet :) Nice Read though!

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #120 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 21:45:33 »
After my recent purchases I'm planning to dial back quite a bit. I've skipped the last few artisan sales in favor of sticking to a budget for my hobbies in general, and I have all of the keycap sets I need either on the way or already here. I have a backlog of projects to keep me busy (Gateron swap, Model F tinkering, etc.) which won't cost me much to complete, so I'm planning to space them out over the year and really spend some time finally typing on these damn things. They really don't get enough use at home any more, so I think I'll be rotating them through as my work boards. They're all pretty low-key and aside from the IBM's they won't make much of a racket in our open office.

I've still got a small list of holy grail items, but they're few and far between and nothing that I'm really in a rush for. Overall I'm extremely satisfied with where my keyboard journey has taken me (left-to-right in my signature).  :D
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 May 2015, 21:49:06 by pr0ximity »
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Belfong

« Reply #122 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 04:08:01 »
I just spent $500 on weeaboo crap..

Don't ask..

Fvck..
wtf! what is that?

Offline tbc

« Reply #123 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 05:03:02 »

Don't ask..

Fvck..
wtf! what is that?

$500 in watermelons
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Axollott

« Reply #124 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 05:19:52 »

Don't ask..

Fvck..
wtf! what is that?

$500 in watermelons

just to Drop the watermelons

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #125 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 05:41:56 »
Did the Industrial SSK appeared in the list of intelli78s expenses? As soon as I saw that intelli78 bought the SSK from Ellipse, I instantly was thinking of a thread I read a while ago :) Wondering who has it now!
... ...

Offline Seranite

• Doesn't know what's going on.
« Reply #127 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 15:02:24 »

Don't ask..

Fvck..

I'm asking, was it the figgurs?

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #128 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 22:48:05 »

Don't ask..

Fvck..
$500 in sex toys

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #129 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 22:55:48 »
I really need to find my perfect switch, I just keep buying and selling keyboards, I have liked all of them along the way but have not really felt the desire to stick to one yet. I would much rather spend that money on key caps :)

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #130 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 15:54:12 »
I'm more or less in the same place. I currently have 21 keyboards (14 if you don't count the Fujitsu Peerless I'm selling). Then again, I don't have plans to buy anything else, other than the Matias60 GB that is happening now. Once that happens, I will be able to build the switch test board I want and I'll still have my Keycool for the desktop and maybe one more for the laptop (probably the Apple M0116). Then I can stop and keep myself from wasting the money on keyboards. I think I'll even commit myself to no more keyboard related purchases for 2015.

I should mention that I use my checking account for day to day stuff and that I keep backup funds in a savings account if there were an emergency. So I'm not living paycheck to paycheck, but I do have less money that I'd like.
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 June 2015, 16:04:30 by Blaise170 »
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline KatzenKinder

• * Maker
« Reply #131 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 16:47:24 »
I'm just finding this thread now, but I really wish I'd found it back in January... I've got really bad case of FOMO that leads to buying way too many keysets, though the design aspect does appeal to me as well. Something about putting together boards with certain keysets and stuff just makes it so hard to stop.

I think I'm in GB's for like 7 sets right now, while only using maybe 3 keyboards of my collection. I've already got what like 10? It doesn't help that I don't NEED to get rid of anything, but deep down I know it's unhealthy to keep lusting after new things obsessively.

The artisan cap stuff is another story, I don't know if I can stop that train.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #132 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 17:08:33 »
I just want to say, I am reading all the replies. Thanks for sharing your stories! I hope everyone is eventually able to achieve peace of mind and wallet.

Offline 1o57

• %10000100001
« Reply #133 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 18:38:25 »
As you can see from my post count, I'm new around these parts...

I always liked my M$ Natural keyboard, with the tilted split design- which took me to the Kinesis Freestyle 2 (of which I have one at home and one at work)- the Kinesis lead me via Google to GeekHack ala Ergo Dox....

Since joining this site, I've purchased a Poker3, several CM Storms (various switches), practically every key set that Mass Drop has had, including the Star Trek, JukeBox, etc..., MOST of the keyboards that MassDrop has had, including a custom from Korea, and many of the HolyOOps keys.....

I've already had 4 custom keys made (in batches of 100) that will be given away at Defcon- as well as TWO WASD keyboards with full custom keycap sets (which will also be given away)- 

I think the trick is to live within your means- I derive joy from giving things away to others (it's why I make the puzzle and crypto games that I do for people)- and now I've found yet another avenue for that...

But to your point-  yes, I have been way to active in purchases for myself.

Thankfully individual keycaps are generally pretty cheap as one-offs....

Great post, btw.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #134 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 20:46:00 »
Great post man. I was so in debt. Now I'm still in debt but I don't buy anything keyboard related. Except a few retail caps here and there. Life is better and less stressful now.  :thumb:

Offline maxpegasus

• The search goes ever on and on...
« Reply #135 on: Thu, 02 July 2015, 18:30:37 »
Hey guys,

Just started this hobby the beginning of this year but I'm already three keyboards and several artisan keycaps deep  :eek:
Encouraging to see others prioritizing self-control and delayed gratification for personal and financial wellness. I'll be trying to exercise more self-restraint in the coming months as well  :thumb:

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #136 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 06:00:36 »
I did a bad thing: BroCaps sale. With the new prices it's amazing how quickly the total rises.

Going to need to unload some of my artisan collection to compensate. And hope that the end of V2's means future sales are less tenping... Yeah, right...
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Belfong

« Reply #137 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 06:40:20 »

I just want to say, I am reading all the replies. Thanks for sharing your stories! I hope everyone is eventually able to achieve peace of mind and wallet.
Is that the reason you are unloading some caps, speaking of which I've also PMed you, if it's still available :)

Offline KatzenKinder

• * Maker
« Reply #138 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 12:59:42 »
I did a bad thing: BroCaps sale. With the new prices it's amazing how quickly the total rises.

Going to need to unload some of my artisan collection to compensate. And hope that the end of V2's means future sales are less tenping... Yeah, right...

I'm always here for you hehehehe ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

edit: oh no my self control

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #139 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 13:41:46 »
Ah! You are whining, that you've earned too much money, so you had to spend an insane amount of it on keyboards. Zero comiseration for that from my side :-) Obviously things in your life go way too well, so that you don't suffer from real problems. Don't get me wrong. I envy you for your "little" problems.

And I don't think that this hobby is mainly about spending money and piling up goods. For me it is about learning the technical knowhow for do-it-yourself keyboards, which aren't even necessarily expensive. Tinkering and getting things done normal people have no ability for. That is keyboard hacking for me. McGuyvering keyboards, so to say.
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 July 2015, 17:16:12 by Eszett »

Offline KatzenKinder

• * Maker
« Reply #140 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 22:03:54 »
Ah! You are whining, that you've earned too much money, so you had to spend an insane amount of it on keyboards. Zero comiseration for that from my side :-) Obviously things in your life go way too well, so that you don't suffer from real problems. Don't get me wrong. I envy you for your "little" problems.

And I don't think that this hobby is mainly about spending money and piling up goods. For me it is about learning the technical knowhow for do-it-yourself keyboards, which aren't even necessarily expensive. Tinkering and getting things done normal people have no ability for. That is keyboard hacking for me. McGuyvering keyboards, so to say.

Unless you're joking, this is super douchey. You can always argue that there are worse problems, but this is something I know at least I struggle with as well. It's just being personally responsible, I'm sure the man has other problems in his life as well.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
Unhacking the wallet in 2015 - confessions of an addict (warning: long)
« Reply #141 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 22:08:20 »

Unless you're joking, this is super douchey. You can always argue that there are worse problems, but this is something I know at least I struggle with as well. It's just being personally responsible, I'm sure the man has other problems in his life as well.
If this was a one sentence thing, it might have been a joke, but this took some time to write, and obviously thought went into it. Mega douchey, because someone else's spending, especially someone you don't know personally, should be none of your business.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #142 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 23:22:21 »

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #143 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 22:30:29 »
Intelli, just curious how you think your new purchasing habits have affected your involvement in the community. I know this might be hard to distinguish, since you also backed off from blogging, etc., but have you noticed a change? Or, have you consciously backed off to keep your "wanter" at bay?

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline eternalmetal

« Reply #144 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 20:25:52 »
Interesting thread, im sure that basically anyone with a hobby has gone through moments where they spent a little more on it than they should have.  Luckily for me, im rather frugal with money and have a hard time purchasing something if I dont need it.  I may not be a Geek Hacker in the sense where I spend money on numerous keyboards looking for an end-game, but as an extension of that I have spent money into turning my computer workstation into something 'end-game' worthy.  Im talking peripherals here, not computer components as their clearly is no end-game here (and I dont bother spending lots of money on parts that depreciate and become outdated before they stop working).  So when I went about purchasing my monitors, headphone/DAC/amo combo, mouse, etc, I did research to find components that would be reasonably priced and were generally high performance.  Striving to get the absolute best of each component, I told myself, would be wasteful and irresponsible, but cheapening up will also result in more spending down the road, so that has to be avoided as well. 

I bought my first mechanical keyboard a couple of months ago, and the only other thing I bought for it were a couple of keycap sets to replace the stock ABS caps (I now realize why everyone raves about thick PBT caps and cherry profile).  Unlike audio equipment and monitors, even the best keyboards can be had for relatively cheap, so I can see why the pursuit of a better keyboard would be so enticing.  I think the point im trying to make is that in the past I never had much issue with buying equipment and dealing with the idea of settling with what my research has decided on purchasing.  After browsing HeadFi for a couple hours, almost anyone would want to get some LCD-3s or get some kickass DAC/amp combo that is getting hyped to death.  But damn, this stuff is all so expensive that there is no way I can justify spending that much just to listen to music as a hobby, especially since my current setup sounds good enough.  I think that im closer than ever to breaking my rule of utilitarian peripheral buying habits just to see what the rage with other mechanical keyboards is all about.  I like my mx blues, but what about clears?  What about topre?  And then, what keycap profile? 

But the more I think about it, this is by far the best keyboard ive had in my life, and I never used to even fuss over what keyboard I used to complete the task.  The keyboard is a tool, and if the tool you have is good and still works, then why look to replace it?  The only reason why I bought a mech was because my old keyboard was starting to be spotty (it was wireless).  Though after realizing the depth of keyboard options, it makes wasteful spending in the pursuit of finding something better seem to be rather appealing. 

The best thing that came out of me spending more money on a mech board was finally learning how to touch type.  I used to be able to type ~70wpm with a technique that could be described as nothing less than the complete mastery of the hunt and peck.  I could even do it without looking, and had convinced myself years ago that proper touch typing would be pointless to learn.  But the sheer excitement involved with typing on my new keyboard made me want to type with less errors and more fluidity, and now im already typing ~60 wpm more comfortably and with less effort than ever.  If just replacing my keyboard could make this much of a difference in enhancing my computing experience, I think it may be justifiable after all to buy another board or two to see if I like anything a bit better.  Though sorry guys, there is no way ill ever justify buying 10+ different keyboards just to find an absolute grail, I dont think I care enough about the pursuit.  Keycaps on the other hand, I could see myself buying a few more sets to get something aesthetically pleasing and of just the right profile. 

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #145 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 20:33:35 »
Wallethack, still impossible to unhack

Offline Zustiur

« Reply #146 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 18:05:13 »
Great thread. I myself have greater control over my budget. So wallet hack hasn't happened to me. That said, I expect to spend more on keyboards this year because I'm designing my own.

I'm not immune to FOMO though. That was what made me buy a $3000 electric violin, and a $900 Warhammer 40k imperial guard army on eBay. It also played a large part in buying my current residence! Fear the FOMO.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #147 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 23:36:35 »
But the more I think about it, this is by far the best keyboard ive had in my life, and I never used to even fuss over what keyboard I used to complete the task.  The keyboard is a tool, and if the tool you have is good and still works, then why look to replace it?

I think the problem most of us face (myself included) is not that we replace our tools but that we hoard them. In my quest to try out as many vintage keyboards as possible, I have purchased way more than I've intended.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #148 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 05:13:52 »
My problem is artisan caps. They're rare so if you get into a sale or find a cap forsale you feel like you have to take part or forever lose your chance, then you have to search forever for one again.

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #149 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 08:37:54 »
My problem is artisan caps. They're rare so if you get into a sale or find a cap forsale you feel like you have to take part or forever lose your chance, then you have to search forever for one again.

The thing with keycaps especially the rare one, the liquidity is high in the market from what I see
so if one day you need money, somehow you can just sell at the price you get it and there will always/almost someone who will buy it

keyboards market is growing fast nowdays, especially in Asia
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo