Author Topic: 'Why should I join Geekhack?'  (Read 1149188 times)

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
Re: 'Why should I join Geekhack?'
« Reply #100 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 05:18:05 »
Back in 2011, this was the only place on the internet that had cool stuff like blank PBT engraved keycaps, so I quickly signed up and ordered two sets from imsto.

Of course, that was way before I found out about GMK doubleshots and what not, it's funny how mainstream mechanical keyboards have gotten.

I still think of GMK as a new thing lol

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #101 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 05:46:11 »
you shouldn't.
We're all crazy and take ourselves too seriously.

oh and most of our mods act like petty grade schoolers and steal candy. No seriously the mods abuse their powers for all kinds of bull**** during giveaways

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #102 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 05:47:14 »
you shouldn't.

oh and most of our mods act like petty grade schoolers and steal candy. No seriously the mods abuse their powers for all kinds of bull**** during giveaways
prepare to get banned
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #103 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 05:50:12 »
you shouldn't.

prepare to get banned

Well that's another thing too.
Mod's like to do vindictive **** to people that annoy them but they won't take a stance against things like fake clacks or other ****ers that abuse things.
They don't proactively moderate the group buys. They don't stop the drama in gb. They don't issue warnings or ban people who suck and mislead people on classifieds.

Then again half the mods are in high school and college anyways.
They don't clean up any of the sections from garbage and then whine when people post too much on off topic.
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 January 2015, 05:53:56 by the1onewolf »

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #104 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 06:07:20 »
you shouldn't.

BTW what happened to your Christmas giveaway?

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline dimmu

« Reply #105 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 08:09:13 »
(I'm sure there are just as many "i <3 my poker/razer/k70" posts around here, but they're all in one or two threads so everyone else doesn't have to deal with them :P )

let's just put it this way, r/mk/ convinced me to buy a corsair k70, geekhack made me regret it.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #106 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 10:10:51 »
(I'm sure there are just as many "i <3 my poker/razer/k70" posts around here, but they're all in one or two threads so everyone else doesn't have to deal with them )

let's just put it this way, r/mk/ convinced me to buy a corsair k70, geekhack made me regret it.
Haha nice comparison. I bought a Ducky w/ MX brown a few months ago. Now I gave it to a friend and I use a Topre board. Thanks GH!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #107 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 10:17:50 »
you shouldn't.

prepare to get banned

Well that's another thing too.
Mod's like to do vindictive **** to people that annoy them but they won't take a stance against things like fake clacks or other ****ers that abuse things.
They don't proactively moderate the group buys. They don't stop the drama in gb. They don't issue warnings or ban people who suck and mislead people on classifieds.

Then again half the mods are in high school and college anyways.
They don't clean up any of the sections from garbage and then whine when people post too much on off topic.

Fight the Powah...

Offline dimmu

« Reply #108 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 12:43:32 »
(I'm sure there are just as many "i <3 my poker/razer/k70" posts around here, but they're all in one or two threads so everyone else doesn't have to deal with them )

Haha nice comparison. I bought a Ducky w/ MX brown a few months ago. Now I gave it to a friend and I use a Topre board. Thanks GH!

yes, i bought the k70 less than three months ago. i was perfectly contented with it and thought it was the best keyboard i've seen... aluminum top, stepped up keys, thick cables, non tramp logo, with just two imperfections: non standard bottom row layout and of course, flimsy keycaps to go with it. i came here to look for advice on where to get a keyset, so i typed corsair k70 on the search box, read the whole thread with corsair dave, saw a few members sporting either an hhkb sig or a title with an hhkb tag on it, searched for hhkb, saw posts about korean custom keyboards and artisan keycaps, kept reading.

fast forward 3 months later, i still haven't bought the said keyset but instead found myself with an hhkb pro2, a duck viper, a poker, a bunch of keysets i haven't even opened yet and now a fetish for anything gmk...

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #109 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 17:58:50 »
(I'm sure there are just as many "i <3 my poker/razer/k70" posts around here, but they're all in one or two threads so everyone else doesn't have to deal with them
Show Image
)

Show Image

yes, i bought the k70 less than three months ago. i was perfectly contented with it and thought it was the best keyboard i've seen... aluminum top, stepped up keys, thick cables, non tramp logo, with just two imperfections: non standard bottom row layout and of course, flimsy keycaps to go with it. i came here to look for advice on where to get a keyset, so i typed corsair k70 on the search box, read the whole thread with corsair dave, saw a few members sporting either an hhkb sig or a title with an hhkb tag on it, searched for hhkb, saw posts about korean custom keyboards and artisan keycaps, kept reading.

fast forward 3 months later, i still haven't bought the said keyset but instead found myself with an hhkb pro2, a duck viper, a poker, a bunch of keysets i haven't even opened yet and now a fetish for anything gmk...

I bought a Poker 2 w/ blues after my Ducky. Then I gave the Ducky to a friend and I bought myself a Novatouch. I'll sat a bit on it for now because I like it. I just need to buy new keycaps set to try them out.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #110 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 19:03:46 »

That will build, having all those keyboards is simply NOT enough you need to start acquiring various key-sets to finish their progression towards perfection. 

NEVER give up on attaining that very rare commodity known as GMK, BSP and Full contoured SA, those are the current BEST of the best versions for all your keyboards, but don't stop at only buying a few keyboards you must attain true keyboard spirituality and build your collection to at least 300+ then the gods shall bestow upon you, the gift of true tranquility  :) .

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #111 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 19:20:38 »

How did he move from being well accepted to being such a jerk that nobody like?

He had a tremendous knowledge, along with the time and energy to single-handedly create a huge body of work with loads of great wikis across the keyboard science spectrum. His photos were great, and his explanations were clear and to the point.

He was helpful and patient with me during my first few months here, and I credit him with the foundation of my keyboard knowledge.

At some point, perhaps 3 years ago, he started getting mean-spirited and insulting, and continued spiraling downward into worse and worse behavior until he had pretty much alienated everybody.

I am an old man, and I have seen a lot of ****, but this is one of those rare cases that completely mystifies me.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #112 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 20:35:44 »

How did he move from being well accepted to being such a jerk that nobody like?

He had a tremendous knowledge, along with the time and energy to single-handedly create a huge body of work with loads of great wikis across the keyboard science spectrum. His photos were great, and his explanations were clear and to the point.

He was helpful and patient with me during my first few months here, and I credit him with the foundation of my keyboard knowledge.

At some point, perhaps 3 years ago, he started getting mean-spirited and insulting, and continued spiraling downward into worse and worse behavior until he had pretty much alienated everybody.

I am an old man, and I have seen a lot of ****, but this is one of those rare cases that completely mystifies me.
Thanks for the explanation.

That's a pity ... Lost a good guy according to your description. R.I.P good version Ripster.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #113 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 21:20:40 »

Maybe all he needed was just a little love and understanding, like all old men.  Makes no difference as to whether he's a Rat-Bastard Mongrel, you still occasionally need a little tenderness to calm the maelstrom inside  8) .

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #114 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 22:12:48 »
Makes no difference as to whether he's a Rat-Bastard Mongrel,

Whoever wrecked and destroyed and deleted the Geekhack site and structure in June 2013 (or was it June 2012?) is unquestionably a Rat-Bastard Mongrel who eats Satan's **** in Hell, and the general consensus of the rumor mill seems to be that it was he.

I would like to know the actual facts from someone who knows for sure.
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #115 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 22:38:03 »
Whoever wrecked and destroyed and deleted the Geekhack site and structure in June 2013 (or was it June 2012?) is unquestionably a Rat-Bastard Mongrel who eats Satan's **** in Hell, and the general consensus of the rumor mill seems to be that it was he.

I would like to know the actual facts from someone who knows for sure.

Same here there was never any concrete evidence that you could present in court proving 100% he was the one responsible for destroying Geekhack back then.  Everyone got on the steam train blaming him for the devastation without gathering any facts and sorting away any confirmation from rampant innuendo.

Just surprised everyone seemed to know here on this forum who the infiltrator was when even the CIA find it hard to track any hard core web attackers.  They currently can only track countries as being the one's responsible for some damage on sites situated around the US.

Never, ever trust rumour mills and what someone else says because it helps muddy the waters on who actually committed the crime against Geekhack.  Not saying I'm a Ripster supporter in any way BUT to say he is so cunning as to bring down an entire website on his own is like comparing George Bush to Terence Tao  ::) .

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #116 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 09:57:06 »

when even the CIA find it hard to track any hard core web attackers. 
They currently can only track countries as being the one's responsible for some damage on sites situated around the US.

BUT to say he is so cunning as to bring down an entire website on his own is like comparing George Bush to Terence Tao.

I would be very surprised if the CIA was proven to be as inept as they like for people to think.
There is no strategic advantage to showing your full hand before the game is over. That said, the US likely has far stricter "rules of engagement" than most 3rd-world countries, so our agencies probably do work under a handicap.

My understanding was that the-one-too-often-named is a highly intelligent, highly-trained, retired computer engineer who was enmeshed in the highest levels of the Geekhack structure since its early days. I assumed that whatever he did was well within his capabilities.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #117 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 10:29:37 »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #118 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 10:35:25 »
The real reason to come to GH and be a member here is so that you can buy $7,000 clacks.

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #119 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 10:41:16 »
The best way to become an elitist
you mean to get me to make ****ing signatures for you
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #120 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 11:05:31 »
The real reason to come to GH and be a member here is so that you can buy $7,000 clacks.
Do you mean a bunch of clacks worth $7.000 or one clack worth that much?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #121 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 11:07:02 »
Q: 'Why should I join Geekhack?'

A: You shouldn't. Go away.

/troll
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #122 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 11:19:43 »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #123 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 11:23:56 »
Wait, are you really serious?

$7K?

And elsewhere in the forum people are complaining about the best and rarest keyboard in the world costing $2K?

http://i.imgur.com/BE0nRjb.jpg

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #124 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 11:27:18 »
one clack worth that much?

Yes.
It is beautiful but is there a reason for such a price? Is it made in some strange/rare matters or something like that?

One must be crazy to buy a cap for that price ...

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #125 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 11:29:48 »
Wait, are you really serious?

$7K?

And elsewhere in the forum people are complaining about the best and rarest keyboard in the world costing $2K?

http://i.imgur.com/BE0nRjb.jpg
Well I guess that they may not be the same person. The question is: is $7k just what someone asks for it or did someone really buy it for that price?!

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #126 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 11:30:45 »

Yes.
It is beautiful but is there a reason for such a price? Is it made in some strange/rare matters or something like that?

You should see the Spumoni clack... that thing is worth $10,000 easily...

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #127 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 11:34:48 »

Yes.

WTF seriously?! CC should have done as Bro Caps and forbid profit from his creations IMHO.

Do you have a picture of it?

Did someone really buy that price?

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #128 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 11:36:16 »

Yes.

WTF seriously?! CC should have done as Bro Caps and forbid profit from his creations IMHO.

m8 u make this way too easy :P

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #129 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 11:43:58 »
Finally found it!

The real answer to your question:

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #130 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 12:36:27 »
hue

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #131 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 13:18:36 »

Yes.

m8 u make this way too easy
Have I been to naive?

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #132 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 04:06:27 »
The best way to become an elitist
you mean to get me to make ****ing signatures for you
****ing signatures is nsfw unfortunately
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #133 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 04:59:18 »
You should join geekhack if you like dumpster diving because geekhackers will spend tons of money on stuff fished from the trash.  :p
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #134 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 05:34:44 »
I'll give you the other side of the question.

The reason I joined Geekhack, is due to the sheer amount of knowledge. I'll admit, I came from Reddit in the fall of 2013. The majority of posts on r/Mk referenced this site, to the point where I felt I need to come to the source of it all. Why get second hand information, when I can get it from the people who know the most? I've also found out how easy it is to spend money.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #135 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 07:38:23 »
I'll give you the other side of the question.

The reason I joined Geekhack, is due to the sheer amount of knowledge. I'll admit, I came from Reddit in the fall of 2013. The majority of posts on r/Mk referenced this site, to the point where I felt I need to come to the source of it all. Why get second hand information, when I can get it from the people who know the most? I've also found out how easy it is to spend money.
No need to be ashame, lots of us came from /r/mk. I did too.

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #136 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 08:27:07 »
If you have lots of disposable income and don't have a wife who will beat you for buying too much crap.... this is perfect!
Also, it's great if you like posting a bunch of GIFs everywhere while feeling like you will piss off the moderation team and get banned....
Show Image

I have neither a disposable income nor an understanding other that won't beat me for silly purchases.

GH hurts me so good.... am I masochistic or what?  :-[
null

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #137 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 08:29:01 »
That's why we need to stop the blind hate towards /r/mk.

Each hobby has his entry point and begginer mistakes. We just need to help redditors that want to go further Corsair/Ducky Shine/Razers ...
Lot of people will be more than ok with just a gaming branded board just like they would be pleased with their Dr.Beats.

I'd repeat my words and say we should share the GH content to reddit to show them there's thing to do besides changing caps and spray painting.
And if we do it without linking to GH, but rather build a reddit post, it would be even better.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #138 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 08:52:59 »
we should share the GH content to reddit to show them

I would rather consolidate the information than dilute it.

Never having delved into the reddit thing, on principle, I don't know what is there, but between Geekhack and Deskthority there is plenty of information and discussion going on.

Posting something on reddit to point people in this direction would be helpful to them, but shunting chunks of this forum "off-site" would likely weaken it and ensuing conversations conducted "over there" would be lost to readers of this forum.

"Turf wars" are usually silly and detract from the underlying subject. I say let it be, and people will find the right place for themselves.

And there is is the old maxim: "There is no such thing as bad advertising" which is probably at work as well.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #139 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 09:19:21 »
All the T&A happens here.  I did it for the glutes and mams.

* Binge winks at Hoffman.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #140 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 12:38:23 »

T&A?

Offline drewba

« Reply #141 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 15:35:57 »

T&A?
Tits & Ass my friend, tits & ass.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #142 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 15:37:15 »

T&A?
Tits & Ass my friend, tits & ass.
Ooouuuhhh I won't forget that

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #143 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 15:52:49 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 August 2015, 09:06:10 by esoomenona »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #144 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 15:55:46 »
Why is GH better than /r/MechanicalKeyboards?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #145 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 17:21:54 »

Because we have esoomenona doing our profit calculations.

Offline Tyrosh22

« Reply #146 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 17:28:53 »

Because of you! *smooth*
Meow.

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #147 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 02:28:54 »
the **** is this sticky pinned
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #148 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 06:39:40 »

And one reason not to.... ;)

Although the random abuse can actually become endearing once you get used to it...

« Last Edit: Tue, 03 February 2015, 07:33:46 by Oobly »
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #149 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 22:40:38 »

And one reason not to.... ;)

Although the random abuse can actually become endearing once you get used to it...

Show Image

if you keep this **** up ritual humiliation will become a thing on gh
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI