Author Topic: Keyboard hobby - need some advice  (Read 6015 times)

Offline OldIsNew

Keyboard hobby - need some advice
« on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 22:14:16 »
I had forgotten about how great IBM model M keyboards are, but after seeing article about the model M, I bought a fairly cheap 1391401 on ebay, cleaned it up and its great.   I bought another and fixed it up and use at work.

Then I started seeing the posts about Soarer's great firmware and decided it would be fun to get an RJ45 connector terminal board and fix it up - and as plus - those are usually pretty cheap on ebay. So got one, and a Teensy, and made a little box and a set of connector cables for the common IBM keyboard connectors. It was a fun little hobby so far.

But then I figured I'd buy a beat up, broken model m for keycaps/parts and got one for $10 or $15. I plugged it in and despite being a mess and missing keys - it worked fine. So I couldn't just turn it into parts - I fixed it up. Then I bought another for parts that really looked pretty wrecked but had some keycaps I wanted - but it actually worked to. How could I tear that one up when it just needed a little TLC.  It's sitting next to my desk now, all washed and cleaned up. So is the next one I got for parts.

Now I've found myself contemplating buying keycaps (maybe from a broken model M) to complete the keyboards I BOUGHT for their keycaps.

Somebody stop me before I buy again!

Offline Tactile

Re: Keyboard hobby - need some advice
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 00:07:30 »
Easier to buy caps here.
REΛLFORCE

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 02:04:08 »

Wrong place to be asking that.  :)
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 09:31:55 »
Yes! - invariance gets it!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 11:23:25 »
Ordering individual key caps from Unicomp gets pricey fast @ $1 each. An entire set is only $30.

Sell a couple of your spares and buy something nicer, like a Model F.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 11:44:38 »

+1

If you enjoy Model M's you'll really appreciate an F.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 02:47:44 »

+1

If you enjoy Model M's you'll really appreciate an F.

Lol, you guys are just encouraging me more! I do have a Model F XT that was a gift from a friend and the key switches are fantastic. The F ATs and F122s are just so expensive - and it's been fun tinkering with the cheap terminal M's. Now, though,  I guess I should save up for an F AT or F122. I'm going to tell my wife you said I have to.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 04:06:24 »
But then I figured I'd buy a beat up, broken model m for keycaps/parts and got one for $10 or $15. I plugged it in and despite being a mess and missing keys - it worked fine. So I couldn't just turn it into parts - I fixed it up. Then I bought another for parts that really looked pretty wrecked but had some keycaps I wanted - but it actually worked to. How could I tear that one up when it just needed a little TLC.  It's sitting next to my desk now, all washed and cleaned up...

LOL. The same thing's happened to me—and, I'm sure, to most of the other people here who've ever looked for "parts" M's.

(And of course if the perfectly good "parts" M you bought is missing a few caps, now you need even more caps...)

Now, though,  I guess I should save up for an F AT or F122. I'm going to tell my wife you said I have to.

You might try pointing out to your wife that instead of buying the occasional vintage KB, you could be out drinking with your pals every night, or chasing other women, or robbing banks... That's what I do, and it seems to help. It's all relative, right?

I agree with Fohat: As great as M's are, your keyboard life won't be complete till you own a Model F you can use comfortably. For that reason I recommend a 122, whose layout is closest to standard ANSI (and you get all those extra keys to play with).

Or if you're ambitious, you can get an AT and do this kind of thing.
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 February 2017, 04:16:01 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 04:08:11 »
Model M's are pretty hardy, pretty much the only thing that can kill them is broken rivets and it can take quite a few before the keyboard actually stops working.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 06:22:30 »
Model M's are pretty hardy, pretty much the only thing that can kill them is broken rivets and it can take quite a few before the keyboard actually stops working.
FWIW, from the dozen+ M's I've found not a single one was missing so many rivets that it didn't work properly anymore.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 07:56:59 »
FWIW, from the dozen+ M's I've found not a single one was missing so many rivets that it didn't work properly anymore.
I've definitely seen Ms that wouldn't register presses or would ghost, and after a bolt mod were working fine. This was before I cleaned the membrane sheets on my model ms too

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 18:47:09 »

(And of course if the perfectly good "parts" M you bought is missing a few caps, now you need even more caps...

I agree with Fohat: As great as M's are, your keyboard life won't be complete till you own a Model F you can use comfortably. For that reason I recommend a 122, whose layout is closest to standard ANSI (and you get all those extra keys to play with).

Yes must have MORE keycaps!  - and I guess I can't argue with statement two either. I'll be on the lookout. 

Have to agree with everyone else too - it's impressive how tough those old keyboards are.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 23:27:36 »
I had forgotten about how great IBM model M keyboards are, but after seeing article about the model M, I bought a fairly cheap 1391401 on ebay, cleaned it up and its great.   I bought another and fixed it up and use at work.

Then I started seeing the posts about Soarer's great firmware and decided it would be fun to get an RJ45 connector terminal board and fix it up - and as plus - those are usually pretty cheap on ebay. So got one, and a Teensy, and made a little box and a set of connector cables for the common IBM keyboard connectors. It was a fun little hobby so far.

But then I figured I'd buy a beat up, broken model m for keycaps/parts and got one for $10 or $15. I plugged it in and despite being a mess and missing keys - it worked fine. So I couldn't just turn it into parts - I fixed it up. Then I bought another for parts that really looked pretty wrecked but had some keycaps I wanted - but it actually worked to. How could I tear that one up when it just needed a little TLC.  It's sitting next to my desk now, all washed and cleaned up. So is the next one I got for parts.

Now I've found myself contemplating buying keycaps (maybe from a broken model M) to complete the keyboards I BOUGHT for their keycaps.

You could wind up like me, or several others here. It's just a matter of time before you actually realize you have too many, and contemplate your next one. It can be a hobby that just grows and grows without end. Then you ask us, of all people, to stop you?
It's nice to have an extra keyboard, then an extra keyboard, then the extra keyboard in case you ....
Yeah.

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 05:51:10 »
You know you have a problem if you start buying keyboards you already have, and forgot about!

Fortunately (unfortunately?) I am now where near having that problem.
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 11:35:56 »
Yes - it's started .....

166609-0

Offline cicada

• Formerly iamacicada
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 11:53:29 »
Yes - it's started .....

(Attachment Link)

Good. Now you don't need any more advice

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 13:47:10 »
The best way to not get bit by the keeb bug is to not get near it in the first place. Since you've already flown too close to the sun, it's best to embrace it! It's hard to regret something you love doing  :thumb:.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 18:12:28 »
Yes - it's started .....

(Attachment Link)

How do you like the Model Fs?
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 19:46:44 »
Lol!

The Model Fs are fantastic! Definitely my favorite - just awesome to type on.  But the Model Ms are so cool too ...

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 12:36:02 »
Lol!

The Model Fs are fantastic! Definitely my favorite - just awesome to type on.  But the Model Ms are so cool too ...

Have you tried any UniComp's keyboards?

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 09:41:36 »

No haven't actually tried one. I've bought stuff from them that I've been happy with - it's great that they're still out there making BS keyboards and parts. I guess should look for one of their boards at some point, but I'm still rather new to the hobby and have been focusing on "vintage" stuff.

Offline JP

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 19:49:15 »
Yep I have been hit with the bug as well. I acquired a Model M and a Model F from a pile of scrap PC parts. Now I have acquired several more within the past month.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 04:49:57 »
No haven't actually tried one. I've bought stuff from them that I've been happy with - it's great that they're still out there making BS keyboards and parts. I guess should look for one of their boards at some point, but I'm still rather new to the hobby and have been focusing on "vintage" stuff.

But hey, Unicomp's been making buckling-spring boards since they bought out Lexmark in '96, over 10 years ago—which means vintage Unicomps are a thing too!

Better yet, a sparkling NIB, USB-ready Unicomp Ultra Classic, with its alluring pared-down design and famously frumpy logo, can be yours for under a hundred bucks. That's an amazing thing, considering IBM and Lexmark charged over $200, in '80s and '90s dollars, for their new Model M's. You really need to have one, or you'll feel forever incomplete, BS-board-wise. (Buh-ha-ha!!)

Besides, according to Merriam-Webster, "vintage" simply means "of old, recognized, and enduring interest, importance, or quality; classic, venerable". Most of us would describe any BS boards that way.

I rest my case. (No pun intended—well, okay, maybe a little bit.)
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 21 June 2017, 21:53:33 »
Yes - it's started .....

(Attachment Link)

A nice collection :)

Any plans to get an SSK (or two)?

You'll probably want a Kishsaver at some stage as well.

And then there's this: https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/f62-model-f-keyboard-kishsaver/
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline xueyao

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 07:43:43 »
I think you'll love a Model F once you acquire one. The feeling is phenomenal compared to the M.

Personally I'll recommend an XT as it's one of the best built if not the best built Model Fs available cheaply as it's steel plate and smaller frame makes it much more solid than even the 4704 (zinc case). Once you fall in love with that, I think the only end game is the GB for new F, which I've already ordered one.

Oh and the tinkering to get Pro Micro is another part that I really enjoy thoroughly, able to code and convert my board to work with USB.

Personally, I'll never wanna try another board, maybe except the beam spring which has literally been described as typing on heaven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 12:30:08 »

I've been debating the SSK. I like the 101 M keyboard layout so I'm not sure an SSK would be worth the price to me -  though it is a cool looking board and I can understand how people could really love the smaller form factor.

I think you'll love a Model F once you acquire one. The feeling is phenomenal compared to the M.

I am on the model F band wagon and have acquired an XT, AT and F122 (luckily picked them up gradually several months ago before the prices became so crazy). They are my favorite boards at this point. I like the F122 the best, but it is huge. I actually prefer the XT to the AT and use the XT as my daily driver.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 22:04:44 »

I've been debating the SSK. I like the 101 M keyboard layout so I'm not sure an SSK would be worth the price to me -  though it is a cool looking board and I can understand how people could really love the smaller form factor.

SSK is 101 layout, but without the numpad.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline xueyao

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 00:06:34 »

I am on the model F band wagon and have acquired an XT, AT and F122 (luckily picked them up gradually several months ago before the prices became so crazy). They are my favorite boards at this point. I like the F122 the best, but it is huge. I actually prefer the XT to the AT and use the XT as my daily driver.
Agreed, I had the AT and XT. Much preferred the XT. I've also placed the order for the F77 GB. Should be an amazing board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk