Author Topic: X1 Carbon 2017 (gen 5) right shift squeezes, gets stuck, and hard to press  (Read 3936 times)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
So I just got my X1 Carbon 2017 Gen 5... all great except for right shift.

See and hear for yourself:

Right shift key squeezes, gets stuck, and hard to press. Feels very off compared to left shift, enter, and space.

Can I fix this myself? I have 4 year on site warranty. But I guess due to unibody construction they have to tear down my whole computer juts to replace keyboard. AND I AM AFRAID THEY WILL SCRATCH IT or put it back inconsistently..
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
when you call them, ask for a direct Exchange.. / cross ship.. so you'd get a new one

Also, ask them for a discount for all the trouble they've caused you.. 

--I'm serious-- that's how the business works.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
when you call them, ask for a direct Exchange.. / cross ship.. so you'd get a new one

Is that a thing... direct exchange?

I'll try the discount method. I paid extra for 4 year next business day on-site. Everything is perfect except that f**king key. Sigh. It is the first time I buy PC after 10+ years mac... I want to get proven wrong that pc laptops / pre-built pcs always have a flaw.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
I have a recent ThinkPad and my keys were sticking as well, but it was related to spilling my beer on the keyboard.  But what I learned is that ThinkPad keyboards have little wire stabilizers under the larger keys and if those get some sticky liquid or gunk on them, they start sticking.  So if you remove the keycaps and clean off the stabilizer and the key, it might stop sticking.  Or not.  I don't know.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
I have a recent ThinkPad and my keys were sticking as well, but it was related to spilling my beer on the keyboard.  But what I learned is that ThinkPad keyboards have little wire stabilizers under the larger keys and if those get some sticky liquid or gunk on them, they start sticking.  So if you remove the keycaps and clean off the stabilizer and the key, it might stop sticking.  Or not.  I don't know.

Thanks for the info.. question:
1) it is literally brand new. Didn't spoil anything yet... clean hands everytime etc. So might be coz of something in factory
2) How do you remove keycap on lenovo?? I'm afraid to damage the rubberized coating.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder

Yep, this is why I rarely if ever buy phones from carriers or manufacturers.
Not only can they hang onto it for days, weeks or months repairing it, once you have touched it, there is no guarantee you will get back a new item, it can be a refurb and you never even got to use it.

Always... ALWAYS try and do an exchange, if that doesn't work, get a refund then re-order.
You shouldn't have to wait weeks for them to repair it, on site techs are often unfamiliar or even held to company standards, and you don;t want someone else's return and repaired item.

Oh, and unless you are familiar with removing and replacing scissor switches (which are ungodly delicate), DON'T TOUCH IT.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
Well, if it's still under warranty, probably not a good idea to mess around with the key caps or scissor switches.  My only other suggestion would be to press firmly on the left and right edges, sometimes that stabilizer may not be firmly seated.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
the plastic nibs are in the corners of the keycap

try pressing them down a little harder.. maybe one of them isn't fully seated.