Author Topic: Ducky Shine 2 not responding, is it salvageable?  (Read 1630 times)

Offline kraz

Ducky Shine 2 not responding, is it salvageable?
« on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 15:53:03 »
Hi!

My friend's gifted me a supposedly failed Ducky Shine 2, model 9008S, with Cherry MX reds.
It was disconnecting at an increasingly faster rate, to the point it won't connect at all.

I've already resoldered a microUSB jack (solder pad was broken off) and made a direct USB-to-JST cable, bypassing the daughterboard, to eliminate the potential points of failure for the USB connection.
It now does connect consistently on both cable setups but the computer fails to recognize the keyboard as an USB device (tested on three computers and many USB ports). Tried USB to PS2, same thing.

When connected, the keyboard lights up in a sequence:

and then does not respond - no keypresses are transmitted to the computer. Hardware controls work, I can turn the back-lighting off an on with a key combo but that's about it. When I turn on the caps lock or numlock on the other keyboard, for example, the corresponding lights on the Ducky do not change.

I wanted to ask if these symptoms are familiar to any of you, perhaps the issue is somewhat common and fixable?
The board quality is questionable, so if all else fails, I'll strip it and make a project board out of it, but I'd rather repair than rebuild.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Ducky Shine 2 not responding, is it salvageable?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 16:00:47 »
Either the daughter board is necessary or perhaps it is in demo mode?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline kraz

Re: Ducky Shine 2 not responding, is it salvageable?
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 16:30:59 »
Thank you for the suggestion, that the dip switches were set in DEMO mode (all four were ON), the thought of a keyboard having a mode such as this never crossed my mind.
Daughterboard is very simple, 5 pin in but only 3 pins used, ground isn't connected apparently?

When I connect the original header that goes in that 5 pin terminal and hold it just so, the keyboard works.
So it appears I need to remake the jst-usb cable or the connector.