Author Topic: Topre is Apple; Cherry is Android  (Read 12228 times)

Offline robertsig

Topre is Apple; Cherry is Android
« on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 08:36:32 »
It occurred to me that many Topre fans are like Apple fanboi's (myself included).  It's not something you customize, but they work perfectly out of the box so there really isn't much need to tweak them.  Android users, like Cherry MX users, like their tweakable interfaces.

I wonder how many Topre users have iPhones.  Same with Cherry & Android users.  :-\

Does it correlate for you?

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
Re: Topre is Apple; Cherry is Android
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 08:38:29 »
I'm a Topre and android user...absolutely despise most apple products.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 08:39:21 »
^
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline runcom

• Topre lover
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 08:39:49 »
I'm a Topre user (Leopold FC660C right now) but I'm an Apple hater in my blood :) I only use non-Apple laptop (I have a Dell M4800 with Ubuntu 14.04) and I'm currently using a Nexus 5 ;) Also my fc660c has artisan caps on it and I'm planning on customizing it with a custom firmware and a Teensy board :D :P
Don't be a dumbass, always be kind to people, here and afk

Offline robertsig

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 08:41:06 »
I'd make this a poll if I could.  Doesn't seem to be an option.

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 08:50:19 »
It occurred to me that many Topre fans are like Apple fanboi's (myself included).  It's not something you customize, but they work perfectly out of the box so there really isn't much need to tweak them.  Android users, like Cherry MX users, like their tweakable interfaces.

I wonder how many Topre users have iPhones.  Same with Cherry & Android users.  :-\

Does it correlate for you?
I think that this thought experiment is flawed for a couple reasons. First there are topre mods that is not unheard of for people to do (silence mod, dome swaps, programmable, etc.). Secondly, my feeling is (admittedly I have nothing that backs this up) is that the majority of cherry users do not mod their boards.
RETIRED

Offline osi

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 08:51:20 »
No -- that is not a good assumption

Offline Doyniish

• Good you
    • Power Hour Playlists
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 09:00:09 »
Apple and Cherry user. Been an Apple user my whole life and have never had a problem with Apple products. In my field of study I'm used to Apple hate so it's really nothing new.

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 09:15:39 »
I see what you're getting at.

Alps is Linux/Other?

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 10:17:40 »
Cherry MX and Apple Mobile Devices with Apple/Windows/Linux computers user here.

It's not a good assumption. It's enthousiasm versus functionality.

You cannot compare an Hardware/Software manufacturer versus an operating system. Either say Apple versus Google (as companies) or iOS versus Android (as phone roms) or even OsX versus Linux versus Windows (as operating systems)

Compare Apples with Apples and Bananas with Bananas.

You can screw arround in Android and Windows as much as you want and that's fine.

Apple devices are sold for their unmatched support and reliability and that is also fine.

Both are totally different philosophies. One is flooding the market providing a free OS whatever the compatibility issues are and that's fine. The other one focuses on optimisation and cross compatibility on minimal standardized/uniformed hardware which is fine as well.

You should be saying "iOS is for mechanical, Android is for rubber dome" for iOS is elitist like the mechanical keyboard community versus Android which is widely available on all sorts of devices from computers to tablets to smartphones to watches.

Topre = Macbooks
Cherry MX = iPads and iPhones and iPods
Rubber Dome = So many exists just like Androids smartphones. Some are goods and some are bad but they never get better than the cheapest mechanical right ;)
See my blog here : https://delitech.live

Poker II - Brown MX

Ducky One II TKL - Silver MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline Kraksx

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 10:21:41 »
I'm a Topre user (Leopold FC660C right now) but I'm an Apple hater in my blood :) I only use non-Apple laptop (I have a Dell M4800 with Ubuntu 14.04) and I'm currently using a Nexus 5 ;) Also my fc660c has artisan caps on it and I'm planning on customizing it with a custom firmware and a Teensy board :D :P

Nexus master race

Poker II

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 10:33:46 »

Nexus master race

Indeed the Nexus series is by far the best Android smartphone available ;)

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline runcom

• Topre lover
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 10:34:55 »

Nexus master race

I'm a Nexus user since the 4 and I really love them :P
Don't be a dumbass, always be kind to people, here and afk

Offline Kraksx

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 10:36:29 »

Nexus master race

I'm a Nexus user since the 4 and I really love them :P

My only problem is the battery on mine has been getting worse and worse. I'm running elementalX and underclocked and undervolted and it's still pretty bad.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 July 2014, 10:43:13 by Kraksx »

Poker II

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 10:41:51 »
I'm not sure there is a correlation to be drawn here. Unless you are speaking in terms of customization, then yes Cherry would be parallel with Android in terms of UI::keycap combination. But really I think there are so few factors actually shared between phone choices and keyboard choices. I mean, we are talking about portable touchscreen computers versus desktop keyboards here. Surely most of us have both products, but they serve totally different purposes and thus report to a different purchase criteria, correct?

I think a better correlation would be limited to computer peripherals like mice or even headphones. Or maybe I'm just crazy.

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 10:44:10 »
i can't say i agree or disagree with your statement.

topre is apple;
apple is
• expensive
• durable
• classy

mx being andriod
andriod is
• widely available
• andriod (mx) with so many different brands (mx blues/reds/blacks/browns/etc)
• very customizable

apple is not
• scarcely available, you find an Apple store almost everywhere.

down to personal taste, i like apple, and mx reds.

dilemma

Offline robertsig

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 10:45:49 »
It's hilarious how serious people are taking my topic! But I love the responses, so keep them coming.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 10:47:29 »
* CPTBadAss sits in a lonely corner surrounded by his buckling spring and Alps boards....and a Galaxy S5

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 10:48:21 »
* CPTBadAss sits in a lonely corner surrounded by his buckling spring and Alps boards....and a Galaxy S5
2hipster4me

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 10:57:12 »
CptBadAss how in the world did you end up with a Samsung Device?

I mean you focus on quality boards and quality shizzles, well as far as i know that's the image i have of you.

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline jameslr

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 11:30:48 »
I use both apple and android products. My smartphone is android and I have a mac mini. I also use pc and I am a Unix admin by trade. Topre is my daily driver.
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 11:31:59 »

I mean you focus on quality boards and quality shizzles, well as far as i know that's the image i have of you.

Samsung isn't quality? I've been enjoying my S5 :(

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 11:36:26 »
I love Apple products, have both Topre and MX boards (love both - hell, I love Apple keyboards too). My work box is Windows 8, and I dev in a Linux VM on it, my laptop is a Macbook Pro.

Truly, there's no need for any divisiveness. They're all tools in our toolbox.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 11:37:29 »
Having said that, I find Android to be a low quality product that I do not enjoy using at all. If you do, more power to ya.

Offline Kraksx

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 11:38:20 »
Having said that, I find Android to be a low quality product that I do not enjoy using at all. If you do, more power to ya.

Which phone in particular did you try? Just curious.

Poker II

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 11:40:41 »
I use MX, topre, and BS.  I do not own a smartphone.  Is something wrong with me?

Offline Kraksx

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 11:42:19 »
I use MX, topre, and BS.  I do not own a smartphone.  Is something wrong with me?

Not at all! In all honesty I wish I could live without mine

Poker II

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 11:44:34 »

I'm strongly considering getting one, just so I don't feel left out at "social" functions (phone parties).  But I don't need one, that's for sure.

Also considering getting one so mkawa will quit picking on me.   :-[

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 11:44:52 »
Android lyfe, used to preach a lot about Andy openness, but seems unnecessary nowadays :) those that never converted already acknowledge Androd superiority.

I have topre and MX boards...

Offline Kraksx

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 11:46:39 »

I'm strongly considering getting one, just so I don't feel left out at "social" functions (phone parties).  But I don't need one, that's for sure.

I mean they're definitely useful but I find myself looking at it sometimes when I really shouldn't.

Poker II

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 11:47:55 »

I mean they're definitely useful but I find myself looking at it sometimes when I really shouldn't.

I was without a laptop for about 3 weeks while I was waiting on replacement parts under warranty. My smart phone was the best utility I could have asked for in that situation.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Doyniish

• Good you
    • Power Hour Playlists
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 11:48:13 »
Alps is Linux/Other?

The funny thing is all the old Apple boards generally used ALPS.

Offline Kraksx

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 11:48:51 »

I was without a laptop for about 3 weeks while I was waiting on replacement parts under warranty. My smart phone was the best utility I could have asked for in that situation.

You don't have an actual computer that you could have used in that time?

Poker II

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 11:50:08 »

I do have a desktop, but I didn't have internet at my new apartment yet and I was traveling for most of the time as well.

Offline Kraksx

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 11:52:52 »

I do have a desktop, but I didn't have internet at my new apartment yet and I was traveling for most of the time as well.

Oh well yeah then a phone was probably perfect

Poker II

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 11:54:31 »

I also didn't have internet for some time at my new place when I moved in.  It was a wonderful opportunity to catch up on some movies I hadn't yet watched.   :thumb:   The lack of distraction was actually pretty nice.  :P

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 11:58:40 »
I am an Ergodox + Nokia user...

The rest of you can Tremble before my immense Ergoness and slow-phone which can only txt/call/email

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 12:42:08 »

Yea it's just that Samsung is pretty low grade when it comes to hardware. There's like 90 revisions of the S5 because this model uses this Ram Module and this other model uses this EEPROM chip.

You know it's just that their business processes are bad and they patch their phone with their leftovers. At first they are a semi-conductor company and all of the rest is just there to boost their semi-conductor manufacturing volume. Like they litterally create a certain processor for other companies like LG and Sony and others and since making more of the same item is less expensive, "HEY GUYS LET'S BUILD A NEW TABLET USING THE SAME STUFF WE ARE MAKING FOR THE OTHERS" so they make their devices cheaper by using their own scalling prices.

Also i hate when an enterprise tries to bash on their rival companies. Apple doesn't bash on Samsung, yet Samsung publish low-grade lowblows towards Apple users which are mostly not even true, like the battery life argument which is clearly a lie.

And the overall quality is just bad.

Also their stupid PLS monitor norm which they don't release the specs
Or their stupid AMOLED which is litterly patented OLED technology

But when they have "better specs" they defenetly tell the whole world, everybody must know!

I hate Samsung
From the bottom of my heart.

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 12:44:37 »

Yea it's just that Samsung is pretty low grade when it comes to hardware.

I've had the phone for 6 months. Best phone I've ever used. Guess I'm happy with sub-par phones :P.

Offline Kraksx

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 12:46:08 »

Yea it's just that Samsung is pretty low grade when it comes to hardware. There's like 90 revisions of the S5 because this model uses this Ram Module and this other model uses this EEPROM chip.

You know it's just that their business processes are bad and they patch their phone with their leftovers. At first they are a semi-conductor company and all of the rest is just there to boost their semi-conductor manufacturing volume. Like they litterally create a certain processor for other companies like LG and Sony and others and since making more of the same item is less expensive, "HEY GUYS LET'S BUILD A NEW TABLET USING THE SAME STUFF WE ARE MAKING FOR THE OTHERS" so they make their devices cheaper by using their own scalling prices.

Also i hate when an enterprise tries to bash on their rival companies. Apple doesn't bash on Samsung, yet Samsung publish low-grade lowblows towards Apple users which are mostly not even true, like the battery life argument which is clearly a lie.

But when they have "better specs" they defenetly tell the whole world, everybody must know!

I hate Samsung

It's just brilliant marketing. The entire "the next big thing" campaign is working amazingly

Poker II

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 12:53:26 »

Yea it's just that Samsung is pretty low grade when it comes to hardware.

I've had the phone for 6 months. Best phone I've ever used. Guess I'm happy with sub-par phones :P.

It was released April 11th dude :/ It's like three months

It's not too bad i know, it's just that when speaking of highest end android smartphones, why pay more than a Nexus 5? It's the most reliable Android phone, by far the most supported one, and costs almost the price of any flagship android phone.

Compared to same price phones, LG G3 is far more performant. I've heard the new HTC is also quite a good choice.

I mean for the same price as an iPhone, you get a free-based operating system (not closed source with no real official reliable support) and cheaper hardware. For a bigger screen lol?

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 12:59:44 »
It's not too bad i know, it's just that when speaking of highest end android smartphones, why pay more than a Nexus 5? It's the most reliable Android phone, by far the most supported one, and costs almost the price of any flagship android phone.

I have Verizon. Nexus 5 isn't with Verizon. G3 and HTC One M8 were too big for my hands, I literally couldn't hold them one handed comfortably. And I'm going to keep the S5 because I like it.

Someone steer this topic back on course please! :P

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 13:05:00 »

I have Verizon. Nexus 5 isn't with Verizon. G3 and HTC One M8 were too big for my hands, I literally couldn't hold them one handed comfortably. And I'm going to keep the S5 because I like it.

Do what you want of course lol DO NOT LET ANYONE TELL YOU HOW TO FCKIN' LIVE CAUSE YOU A FREE MAN!

Sorry i had some american spirit going through my spine right here.

It's a sad thing Verizon is not offering the Nexus 5. :/ i just learned something today. I've heard about your telecom companies down there in the US (been studying IT baccalauréat) and i know the big portrait.

It's a sad story cause i personnaly believe telecom systems should be of public usage and not private. I mean buy your phone a thousand dollars a shot instead of 3600$ by some 60$ bull**** limiting contracts.

We have even ****tier up here :(

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 13:42:09 »
I use a HHKB with my Windows desktop and a Poker II w/ Blacks with my MBA. I don't know how I feel about this claim
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 13:48:24 »
I use a HHKB with my Windows desktop and a Poker II w/ Blacks with my MBA. I don't know how I feel about this claim

:|  pls fix your setup.

Offline johndavis33

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 14:50:15 »

I hate Samsung

I wouldn't say I hate Samsung. I have a note 2 and it's the best phoen I've ever used, but I mostly like it for the screen and pen input. I hated the cheap plastic feel of it, so I put an otterbox defender over it and now it's fine. The stock rom was a bloated mess, but cyanogen mod runs just fine on it. Other than that, the internal specs and the screen are exceelent so I won't be getting a new phone any time soon.

And while I don't like Samsung, I HATE Apple products. Samsung products are quickly replacing Apple as the de facto "good thing" product, i.e. "Why would I buy the HTC One/Nexus 5/other good android phone? I've never heard of it and Samsung is the best so I'll buy Samsung,". Apple is the same way. It makes it so it's impossible to talk about the products in any sort of objective way, due to the religous love of the products that some people have.

Oh well, at least I can still use Samsung products.

But anyways, I think a more accurate analogy would be to say that Model M fans are more like Apple fans. The whole, "The One True Keyboard" thing sounds a lot like what an Apple fan would say about the iPhone or OS X.
HAVE AND WILL KEEP: HHKB - Printed white | Ducky Banana edition - Whites | Model M13 | Unidentified Goodwill keyboard - Simplified black ALPS
TOO BE SOLD: TG3 BL82 - Clears | Wheelwrite 5 - Buckling Springs typewriter
SOLD: Rosewill RK9000 - Blacks | QFR - Blues | Ducky G2 Pro - Greens |
IT WILL BE MINE: Northgate Omnikey - White ALPS

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 15:53:46 »
* dorkvader sits alone in an isolated bunker on the moon with is hall effect keyboards.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 15:58:15 »
I am an Ergodox + Nokia user...

The rest of you can Tremble before my immense Ergoness and slow-phone which can only txt/call/email

Show Image

QFT

There obviously isn't enough data to make any conclusions, but if there's any correlation I'd expect, it's ErgoDox-like keyboards + dumbphones or hackable pocket computers w/ Maemo/MeeGo/Mer/Sailfish/...

The other correlation would be gaming hardware (especially Razer) + whatever latest "powerful" "smart"phone. The gullibles.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 15:59:28 »
There obviously isn't enough data to make any conclusions, but if there's any correlation I'd expect, it's ErgoDox-like keyboards + dumbphones or hackable pocket computers w/ Maemo/MeeGo/Mer/Sailfish/...

* HoffmanMyster needs to buy an Ergo Dox...

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 16:02:40 »
Of course you do. To support my hypothesis, at the very least.

Right now, I can think of four people with a DIY ergo board and Nokia N900...