Author Topic: HHKB Professional Refresh Coming Fall 2019  (Read 5567 times)

Offline jackwong343

HHKB Professional Refresh Coming Fall 2019
« on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 09:49:23 »
https://www.keychatter.com/2018/11/13/hhkb-professional-refresh-coming-fall-2019/

The legendary HHKB Professional keyboard is getting a refreshed model in fall 2019, according to Fujitsu reps I spoke to at the NorCal Meetup. There are new keyboard releases just about every day, but this one is going to be special. It’s not just that HHKB is a beloved brand, if not a revered one; it’s that there hasn’t been a significant new keyboard in the line since 2006.

Unfortunately, there’s little information available beyond that simple fact at this time. Obviously, it will use Topre switches, and presumably, it will be similar in spirit to existing HHKB designs. That is, it will probably be conservative-looking and solid, with PBT keycaps and extensive programmability options. And of course, that iconic layout. (They wouldn’t mess with the layout, would they?)

It seems unlikely that we’d get a split design–it’s probably just too nichey even for HHKB, and it would certainly cost PFU an awful lot to create. It makes more sense for the company to iterate on its existing IP.  But until we know for sure what the HHKB Pro refresh will be, we can dream…

There’s also no word on price. Again though, one assumes it will cost a lot–upwards of $250, most likely. You’ll be able to buy it in the U.S. through the Fujitsu store and on Amazon.

Hmm... thoughts on this? Hope it will be USB C and do away with the USB Hub....

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
Re: HHKB Professional Refresh Coming Fall 2019
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 09:52:55 »
It's going to be a complete refresh with the same layout, build quality, programmability, and keycaps.

Offline Blue_Moon

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 11:38:34 »
my wallet >.< i just switched from my beloved hhkb's to ergodox's, but i am looking forward to seeing this new hhkb

they might mess with the layout. they already did with the jp version (though that's technically a new layout). i hope they keep the layout, keep the topre switches, but make it programmable. perhaps they could also offer one with hotswappable mechanical switches! oh, i'd also like the borderless thing that's a trend now, if i could just blast some compressed air under the keycaps to clean it out

i definitely want the usb c connector instead of the usb mini my current hhkb has, especially after that post about the reliability problems usb mini has

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 12:47:11 »
my wallet >.< i just switched from my beloved hhkb's to ergodox's, but i am looking forward to seeing this new hhkb

they might mess with the layout. they already did with the jp version (though that's technically a new layout). i hope they keep the layout, keep the topre switches, but make it programmable. perhaps they could also offer one with hotswappable mechanical switches! oh, i'd also like the borderless thing that's a trend now, if i could just blast some compressed air under the keycaps to clean it out

i definitely want the usb c connector instead of the usb mini my current hhkb has, especially after that post about the reliability problems usb mini has

There not going to offer anything but Topre switches in a refresh. Going from Topre to MX switches would be a completely new product. I Personally I think this will be marginal updates at best perhaps usb c support and little better build quality.

What I love to see is a 65% model added, MX keycap stims and Aluminium chassie. Thought that is all just a pipe dream. 

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 15:20:04 »
RGB-LED backlit, 

Double shot PBT

Helvetica

Smooth Curtain Sweep lighting

Diffusor Impregnated aluminum body.

Offline Blue_Moon

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 15:24:48 »
i didn't know they could do double shot pbt, but isn't dye sublimation still more durable? i mean, can the double shot ever come apart? i think dye sublimation is for life

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 17:25:13 »
i didn't know they could do double shot pbt, but isn't dye sublimation still more durable? i mean, can the double shot ever come apart? i think dye sublimation is for life

Double shot is theoretically more durable than sublimation since it is guaranteed to go through the entire cap. The two plastics will not come apart since they are essentially welded together meaning the plastics melt into each other.
Whereas, while very few and far between, there have been reports of specific subbed caps having their legends wear off. Again, very uncommon.

Double shot PBT is also only doable right now with a non-PBT material as the legend as far as I know. POM is the most commonly used and done so because it's the only way to get backlit PBT keycaps.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline subcat

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 17:26:12 »
still no word on what the source of this information is @keychatter

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 15 November 2018, 04:28:07 »
It seems to me that Fujitsu now has a us distributor for the same or even higher cost than what we can get a hhkb now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline livewirerc

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 15 November 2018, 23:06:24 »
And here I was performing a refresh of my own:

207290-0

If they came out with a 55gm bluetooth model, I'd be happy. If that model had the Type-S sliders, I'd be even happier. But until then, I can always make my own.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 November 2018, 23:20:50 by livewirerc »

Offline BigBlackThock

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 16 November 2018, 01:49:27 »
Am I missing something here? To the best of my knowledge, the hhkb has zero programability. Also, if they aren't changing the layout, or the switches, isn't it just exactly the same thing?

Offline subcat

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 16 November 2018, 03:22:00 »
Am I missing something here? To the best of my knowledge, the hhkb has zero programability. Also, if they aren't changing the layout, or the switches, isn't it just exactly the same thing?

i'm expecting improvements to the case a la the BT, which is far more structurally sound. there are plenty of things they could change that aren't fundamental to the definition of the hhkb professional series (the layout and its switches). changes to the caps, lineup in terms of available weights and colours, etc.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 16 November 2018, 15:22:59 »

Na refresh just means there revamping existing model. That can mean something as simple as changing the slider color, perhaps adding USB C or changing the build quality.

Changing layout/Switches would be a model change instead of refresh. Also they are always going to come with the same switches which is Topre. The topre switch is kinda the entire point of the HHKB.

Offline BigBlackThock

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 17 November 2018, 05:24:26 »

Na refresh just means there revamping existing model. That can mean something as simple as changing the slider color, perhaps adding USB C or changing the build quality.

Changing layout/Switches would be a model change instead of refresh. Also they are always going to come with the same switches which is Topre. The topre switch is kinda the entire point of the HHKB.
Well aware. My point is that if what you guys are saying is true, then it's literally the same thing. Call it what you want, but in most industries refreshes actually have substantive changes, ie features. Changes to build quality and colors are not a refresh.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 08:26:14 »
I wonder if it can beat HasuHKB
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline Polymer

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 08:59:26 »
My guess on the main things would be:

USB-C
Black Type S
Similar but different case.
Different feet

So almost nothing :)..

Offline the_marsbar

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 09:00:30 »
I wonder if they'd also make some changes to the BT version (e.g., being able to run it via USB also).