Author Topic: Whats wrong with the Fleabay sellers now a days?  (Read 8221 times)

Offline blueSmoke

• Life is what happens while you're busy Fixing RSI
Whats wrong with the Fleabay sellers now a days?
« on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 02:56:50 »
I was searching ebay for a clean/nos/new WMO mouse and these two listings caught my eyes.

New in Box Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical PC/MAC PS/2/USB White Compaq IntelliEYE: http://www.ebay.com/itm/322073864467
It is a Compaq mouse made by 'Logitech' inside a Microsoft box!!! and he says it is new in box!!!

Another one:
BRAND NEW Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse PS2 USB for PC / Mac: http://www.ebay.com/itm/282042509464
Look at the Microsoft logo on the mouse and it is almost rubbed off, and he says it is Brand New!!!

What these sellers been smoking?  :eek:
Model M, Filco Tenkeyless White, Few others, few more others, Noise-hater (ongoing project), blah-blah (to be fillled later...)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
Re: Whats wrong with the Fleabay sellers now a days?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 04:08:26 »
What I find weird is that those two items are listed by Ebay sellers with high praise. Iamthetretrogamer has listings for some pretty obscure stuff, seems like he or she should know better.

But I guess that's what happens when you have an item that is suddenly on the wish list of every kid that is into esports. I'm surprised that people are not trying to do the same with Microsoft Explorer Trackballs...

Ok, I guess they are. $800 for a 'NEW' Explorer Trackball. Sure looks new to me :rolleyes: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Trackball-Explorer-High-Quality-New-/121977356798?hash=item1c666ac1fe:g:qrUAAOSwiYFXKwx1

Offline need

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 04:33:16 »
lol...this is hilarious

Offline Bucake

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 06:31:33 »
unfortunately this stuff is more common than you think. i've been hunting a set of particular mice for the past few months and i've seen dozens of that kind of "scams".
i'm fairly sure that most of them know exactly what they're doing, but i guess they just hope to get lucky with an un-knowing buyer.
and if a buyer would complain that "it's not the real thing", the seller can probably just say that it was an honest mistake, or even raise their shoulders. after all, the pictures show what you'll get.
(for example, that WMO description says "appears to be new". surely he put it in there himself and knows it's not true, but you can't prove that :cool:)

high prices are common too, here's a good one.
this is true for a lot of discontinued mice (MX500, G9x, G400, MX518, IntelliMouse, Copperhead, Diamondback, etc...)
i think one of the issues here is that sellers will look at ebay and see what prices others are selling them for, and then they just put the same price tag on it, or go below it by only a bit.
some auctions even say "normally they go for $300, but this one only goes for $100! get it now!", even though the mouse is worth maybe $15 - $20 at most.
i've even seen sellers ask such high prices for broken mice.. ;D
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 May 2016, 06:50:57 by Bucake »
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline tufty

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 30 May 2016, 11:47:28 »
Oh, it's not just fleabay and it's not just computer stuff.

I do a fair bit of mountain biking and, masochist (and cheapskate) that I am, I tend to do so on "retro" kit.  Mainly it's due to the cheapskate bit - a couple hundred euros buys you a retro bike that's way better than you can get new for a thousand.  But you need to know what you're looking for.  Case in point, my current ride.  It's a Sunn, a minority french brand mainly known for having ultra-lightweight chromed steel frames.  Mine comes in at just over 10 kilos with a suspension fork, which is more than competitive with "current" bikes.

So, over here in communist frenchystan, rather than fleabay, the deals hang out on http://www.leboncoin.fr.  And as certain brands, particularly french ones like Sunn, have a certain «cachét», they tend to carry a premium.  And attract sharks.  One seller local to me is known for putting "sunn gt lapierre kona" on all his ads, regardless of relevance, not to mention selling bargain-basement (but chromed) crap supermarket bikes at a premium by using the phrase "sunn type" in the wording.  I came across one of his unfortunate clients recently with a badly and blatantly rebadged-as-sunn "topbike".  17 kilos (!!!) of **** steel and budget equipment sold for 500 euros.

When you see broken supermarket mice with "microsoft" written on them with a magic marker being sold for a premium, then you know it's hit the same level as retro bike parts.

Offline zisb

• Aluminium, learn to spell it.
    • zisb.io
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 21:30:45 »
Its always been around unfortunately. People will  always just slap on a "RARE" before the name of the product and charge double the amount plus $50 shipping.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 21:36:49 »
Its always been around unfortunately. People will  always just slap on a "RARE" before the name of the product and charge double the amount plus $50 shipping.

Nah, when I signed up in 1999 Ebay was pretty legit. Sure there were a few overpriced items here and there, but the chances of receiving a bootleg were fairly low back then. My older bro and his wife got me hooked lol, they never complained about bootleggers or swindlers back then. Maybe I was just lucky

Offline zisb

• Aluminium, learn to spell it.
    • zisb.io
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 23:12:24 »
I only started in around 2006... a lot of **** by then. I guess as soon as something gets popular there is always someone there to exploit and ruin it.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 07:15:41 »
I mean, how many times do you see a rubber dome slider board with the tags vintage clicky keyboard on ebay?
Skammers gonna skam