Author Topic: Lowest possible profile flat keys  (Read 7382 times)

Offline luisbg

Lowest possible profile flat keys
« on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 07:41:19 »
I am consiering buying these keycaps for my ErgoDox:
http://keyshop.pimpmykeyboard.com/products/specialty-custom-keys/flat-keys

Problem is, they only have 1x1 keys an I would need the 16 1.5x1 keys. What do you recommend I do?
I don't mind if they are printed or blank but I need them flat so they can be arranged however. Is there such a thing like DSA very low profile?
Leopold FC660M - Brown mx switches - black case - white blank keys :: ErgoDox - Blue mx switches - classic case - black blank keys

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
Re: Lowest possible profile flat keys
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 10:25:19 »
DSA is pretty low and much easier to get in the sizes you need.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline luisbg

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 12:03:15 »
DSA is pretty low and much easier to get in the sizes you need.

Those very flat keycaps looked very promising. Why doesn't pimpmykeyboard sell them in 1.5x1 and 2x1 sizes?
Leopold FC660M - Brown mx switches - black case - white blank keys :: ErgoDox - Blue mx switches - classic case - black blank keys

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 12:15:39 »
I can sell you even flatter profile keys, but they are relegendable bottoms ie square and flat and ABS. I use some on my keyboards, but I don't think most people would like a full keyboard of super flat, super low keys.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline luisbg

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 14:01:16 »
I can sell you even flatter profile keys, but they are relegendable bottoms ie square and flat and ABS. I use some on my keyboards, but I don't think most people would like a full keyboard of super flat, super low keys.

Do you have any pictures?

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 14:19:27 »
DSA aren't that low, actually. The relegendable bottoms for Tipro are lower. Cherry profile ASDF-row keys are lower.

The lowest profile keys for Cherry MX switches are those for Cherry G80-3850, also called "MX-Board 3.0".
I thought Cherry was going to sell key sets separately, but I have not seen them in stores...

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 15:03:27 »
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline luisbg

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 15:34:42 »
http://xkeys.com/accessories/Keycaps.php

Those are very interesting! But it doesn't fix the issue of needing 1.5x1 caps to match.

Offline luisbg

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 15:36:32 »
DSA aren't that low, actually. The relegendable bottoms for Tipro are lower. Cherry profile ASDF-row keys are lower.

The lowest profile keys for Cherry MX switches are those for Cherry G80-3850, also called "MX-Board 3.0".
I thought Cherry was going to sell key sets separately, but I have not seen them in stores...

I agree, I would like lower than DSA. Will look into Cherry G80-3850.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 15:56:02 »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cherry-Red-MX-Board-3-0-Wired-Professional-USB-Keyboard-with-Win-Key-Lock-/181302948321?pt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_KeyboardsMice&hash=item2a367f71e1

That's the G80-3850 / MX Board 3.0. Flattest caps for MX switches that I am aware of. However, the Caps Lock keycap is seriously messed up. Cherry put the stem mount in between centre mount and traditional Cherry G80 position, so it doesn't fit ANY other board properly. Also the spacebar is Cherry G80 mount spacing, offset switch position, so it may not fit your board either.

The cap sets have been seen on Taobao, but I don't know if they're actually available separately from the board or not right now.

IMHO, DSA is quite low (not very much taller than those flat keys) and the same for all rows, so you can move them around. There are some great DSA sets that have been made in Group Buys over the last while (Retro, Granite, Galaxy Class, Skull Squadron, Dolch) which attracts me since I love to have good looking caps on my board and change them quite often (although at the moment I love SA profile, so quite different from what you're looking for).
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline luisbg

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 16:04:36 »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cherry-Red-MX-Board-3-0-Wired-Professional-USB-Keyboard-with-Win-Key-Lock-/181302948321?pt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_KeyboardsMice&hash=item2a367f71e1

That's the G80-3850 / MX Board 3.0. Flattest caps for MX switches that I am aware of. However, the Caps Lock keycap is seriously messed up. Cherry put the stem mount in between centre mount and traditional Cherry G80 position, so it doesn't fit ANY other board properly. Also the spacebar is Cherry G80 mount spacing, offset switch position, so it may not fit your board either.

The cap sets have been seen on Taobao, but I don't know if they're actually available separately from the board or not right now.

IMHO, DSA is quite low (not very much taller than those flat keys) and the same for all rows, so you can move them around. There are some great DSA sets that have been made in Group Buys over the last while (Retro, Granite, Galaxy Class, Skull Squadron, Dolch) which attracts me since I love to have good looking caps on my board and change them quite often (although at the moment I love SA profile, so quite different from what you're looking for).

Oobly. You always show up in all threads I participate in :)

Weird how that seller doesn't specify clearly which type of Cherry MX switches it has. The price is step and only reasonable if I could desolder the switches and use them for some other project.

I agree a lot of the DSA group buys have been very nice aesthetically. Unfortunately I've managed to miss them all and don't like the color combination of Deep Space.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 17:04:10 »
if the travel is still the same.. what difference will lower keycaps make? 

can't u just sit a little higher, or use a wrist rest to bring you arms up ?

Offline luisbg

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 17:34:54 »
if the travel is still the same.. what difference will lower keycaps maktypingcan't u just sit a little higher, or use a wrist rest to bring you arms up ?

With flatter keys the keyboard would be flatter, which means easier to travel with. Also less potential of hitting keys from the side accidentally when typing, which happens to me too much in my Leopold with DCS keys. Plus the subjective comfort value of a flatter surface to push with my finger.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 December 2014, 17:38:14 by luisbg »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 03:15:30 »
Sounds like what you really want is a Cherry ML, scissor switch, or short-throw Topre keyboard in an Ergodox-like layout.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 03:42:00 »
Cherry M8 6mm low profile?

(Black 1.5unit key)

Underside only supports PCB mount stabs though.

These keys also bottom out on the housing of the MX Switch, so your travel is actually decreased.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline luisbg

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 04:25:19 »

Very interesting! Unfortunately hard to find since they were discontinued.

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 11:56:29 »

GMK still makes them. If you can find 16 Ergodox users willing to order, you can meet MOQ :P

Offline luisbg

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 18:26:34 »

GMK still makes them. If you can find 16 Ergodox users willing to order, you can meet MOQ :P

Sounds like a challenging idea.

Hey Zeal, are you building cables lately? I might have a request.

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 19:18:08 »

Sounds like a challenging idea.

Hey Zeal, are you building cables lately? I might have a request.

"Hi GMK, I'd like to order 256x 6mm 1.5unit M8 keys. Thanks!" :))

---

PM me if you'd like to discuss OT stuff.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 19:23:59 »

Oobly. You always show up in all threads I participate in :)

Weird how that seller doesn't specify clearly which type of Cherry MX switches it has. The price is step and only reasonable if I could desolder the switches and use them for some other project.

I agree a lot of the DSA group buys have been very nice aesthetically. Unfortunately I've managed to miss them all and don't like the color combination of Deep Space.
It says cherry red MX.

Offline luisbg

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 06:17:28 »
"Hi GMK, I'd like to order 256x 6mm 1.5unit M8 keys. Thanks!" :))

That is the easy part. The hard part is getting all the extras off my hands.   :thumb:

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 14:31:45 »

If you ask, they have the full set, also if it is not listed

Problem is, they only have 1x1 keys an I would need the 16 1.5x1 keys. What do you recommend I do?
I don't mind if they are printed or blank but I need them flat so they can be arranged however. Is there such a thing like DSA very low profile?

Offline tufty

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 07:21:54 »
The hard part is getting all the extras off my hands.   :thumb:
Glue them in stacks of 2, and sell them on as "custom doubleshots"

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 07:27:09 »

If you ask, they have the full set, also if it is not listed

I've never seen other sizes of these caps do you have photos?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 13:24:23 »
Please report back on the price you paid and write your impressions.  :thumb: