Author Topic: Self-driving vehicles will be on the roads soon, what do you think of them?  (Read 13530 times)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: Self-driving vehicles will be on the roads soon, what do you think of them?
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 09:46:19 »
As the sole driver in my household I like the idea of self driving cars. It could pick up the kids from school. I could do some work on the 2+ hour drives I often need to do outside the office, read a book or take a nap. It'd be cheaper than owning a car that sits inactive 90% of the time.
That's my point exactly.

Driving kids from school? Sounds like there isn't a good school within walking distance (or kids aren't fit/active enough to walk).
Long business trips by car? Sounds like there isn't railway infrastructure in most cases.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 10:54:31 »
As the sole driver in my household I like the idea of self driving cars. It could pick up the kids from school. I could do some work on the 2+ hour drives I often need to do outside the office, read a book or take a nap. It'd be cheaper than owning a car that sits inactive 90% of the time.
That's my point exactly.

Driving kids from school? Sounds like there isn't a good school within walking distance (or kids aren't fit/active enough to walk).
Long business trips by car? Sounds like there isn't railway infrastructure in most cases.

Stay HOME.. Use AMAZON.com..

They're working on the robots.. give it time.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 16:33:43 »

Lol, railway infrastructure in the United States.  It's highways, highways, and more highways here in the USA, my friend! 

Plenty of airports in smaller cities, though.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 16:50:54 »

Lol, railway infrastructure in the United States.  It's highways, highways, and more highways here in the USA, my friend! 

Plenty of airports in smaller cities, though.

Riding a bicycle can be downright dangerous. For me the order of favorite public transportation is - Airplane > Trolley > Subway > Bicycle > city bus (I've found that in some cities I can outpace the city bus with a decent road bike)

Railways? I've ridden on one train but that was not in the states and I was a baby so I can't remember the experience. /share

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 11:12:59 »
I actually cannot stand flying anymore, for a number of reasons.  I avoid it at all costs.

In most US cities, bicycle riding is a no-go, they just didn't make space for it on the roads.  Some cities have good infrastructure, and a lot of others are working to expand the biking infrastructure.  Unfortunately, like with public transit, the cities are too spread out to attract many bicycle riders onto the infrastructure.  Also, people are too lazy to ride bikes.

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 08:31:09 »
That's my point exactly.

I live in the country a couple of miles away. They do walk home for a couple of months a year but they finish study at 6pm so it's getting dark and wintery now. Public infrastructure really works best when you've got high population density. In Ireland there's been a history of bad urban planning as well so the cities spread all over the place with low level buildings instead of building upwards so the transport infrastructure in the major cities is patchy.

If you live in a place like Singapore or Tokyo walking or cycling everywhere makes a ton of sense but that's because they've planned that out decades in advance.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 08:42:22 »
I actually live near an extremely compact historical city with a former Habsburg fortress turned into parks. [1] It's amazing, but I've seen anything similar only Switzerland and some parts of Scandinavia.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 18:38:57 »
I actually live near an extremely compact historical city with a former Habsburg fortress turned into parks. [1] It's amazing, but I've seen anything similar only Switzerland and some parts of Scandinavia.

Prepare the spare bedroom, I'm coming to visit!

Offline SRTroN

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 05:56:52 »
I am really interested in what happens in this area. I think that driving yourself will eventually become a hobby for those that choose it rather than a necessity (a bit like mechanical keyboards?).

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 06:48:36 »
I am really interested in what happens in this area. I think that driving yourself will eventually become a hobby for those that choose it rather than a necessity (a bit like mechanical keyboards?).
Maybe in racing circuits.

Cars depend on public infrastructure and if self-driving vehicles become common enough, there'll be no reason to allow civilian drivers among them, because they'd increase risk of accidents, obstruct the traffic by behaving unpredictably etc.

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 05:53:49 »
Outright banning owner operated cars would be a bit extreme. I know they present a certain risk to the public but it's not like a handgun. I think the self driving cars should be able to deal with the unpredictability of humans, particularly if there are very few of them.

I'd warrant a significant proportion of the road deaths from where I'm from are suicide masked as accidents. People would rather their family and friends didn't know.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 06:04:54 »
Outright banning owner operated cars would be a bit extreme. I know they present a certain risk to the public but it's not like a handgun. I think the self driving cars should be able to deal with the unpredictability of humans, particularly if there are very few of them.

I'd warrant a significant proportion of the road deaths from where I'm from are suicide masked as accidents. People would rather their family and friends didn't know.

I agree, definitely not like a handgun. Sometimes worse than handguns

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 13:01:58 »

wha......   How could you know this...

also,  are you in a suicide high area ? where is this.. ?

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #63 on: Sat, 15 October 2016, 19:26:13 »
Personally, I would recommend a different method of suicide than attempting to do it through a car accident.  Seems kinda brutal and unpredictable.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 17:37:19 »
Well, I guess this one way to simplify the cars logic...

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a23377/mercedes-self-driving-cars/
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #65 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 17:55:51 »

Honestly I think they should kill the driver. The pedestrian already has it ****ty enough that they are walking and not in a luxury vehicle, while the driver obviously has it good already.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 21:58:30 »

Honestly I think they should kill the driver. The pedestrian already has it ****ty enough that they are walking and not in a luxury vehicle, while the driver obviously has it good already.

ok, but what if the pedestrian is an easily replaceable mildly motivated worker,  while the Mercedes occupant is a high functioning scientist..

One life is equivalent to another.. in that they cost the same to maintain.. 3 meals, water, and a roof overhead..

However,  the utility of some people over others relative to --society's needs, may be tilted towards one side.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #67 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 22:42:54 »

There ya go, thinking like a true Mercedes driver.

Offline iri

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 07:05:21 »

There ya go, thinking like a true Mercedes driver.
:)) :)) :))
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 09:07:39 »

ok, but what if the pedestrian is an easily replaceable mildly motivated worker,  while the Mercedes occupant is a high functioning scientist..

One life is equivalent to another.. in that they cost the same to maintain.. 3 meals, water, and a roof overhead..

However,  the utility of some people over others relative to --society's needs, may be tilted towards one side.
So are you saying it's okay for some people to die because they're worth less than others?

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 09:36:19 »
You must not be familiar with tp's sociopathic ramblings.

Offline benderkey

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 10:39:14 »
I blame GTA.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #72 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 10:54:37 »

So are you saying it's okay for some people to die because they're worth less than others?

Oh really,  are you saying we should be killing farmers instead of serial rapists?

What if a wealthy Farmer was driving a nice mercedes,  and the pedestrian was a serial rapist..

Farmer makes money because he sells his crops,  the rapist is poor because he spends too much time doing his --thing..

The comparison is merely a statement that YES,  certain people are worth more than others..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #73 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 10:58:30 »
You must not be familiar with tp's sociopathic ramblings.

In what way, does Tp4 haz a lack of empathy..

If anything,  you guys are drawing on your own personal jealousy of the Mercedes driver, to say he deserves to die..

It's certainly possible that SOME mercedes drivers don't deserve what they possess in life,  but, that is going to be the rare case, because it's not actually easy to get a mercedes..

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 20:50:17 »

Plus, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ