Author Topic: Need a New Computer Recomendations  (Read 8975 times)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Need a New Computer Recomendations
« on: Thu, 10 November 2016, 13:50:02 »
EDIT: pausing againg....got ahold of an old desktop gonna see if I can use it for a little while before building

EDIT:

I have no desktop PC parts outside of hard drives.

I'm not opposed to a micro type system but am leaning towards desktop instead of laptop or all in one system.

I also just hit a deer with my vehicle so that may impede me buying anything short term depending on what ends up need fixed on my vehicle.

[Original Post]

Ok so my 5.5yr old laptop has become unusable, I could probably fix it up temporarily but its days are numbered so I need to start looking at my options.

I don't currently game but would like to play Firewatch, do basic office tasks, email, netflix etc. I will possibly do more business oriented tasks as well as do some writing but that to me falls under basic office tasks.

I will do occasional AutoCAD work but nothing too serious just 2D stuff and some computations/calculations with plugins. I may do some video encoding and minimal photo editing as well.

I don't really have a budget in mind either but $1,000 would be a high end preferably less but I also don't want a super cheap slow aggravating system.

I also have a 27" 2650x1440 external monitor I would want to be able to use with the system, I currently run it with display port but might be able to with the correct hdmi revision.

As far as off the shelf versus building I think at this point I'd prefer off the shelf and I typically buy an extended warranty especially with Dell.

I'll confess I have a love hate relationship with Dell.

An option I was considering but maybe not so much now
More
I'm somewhat interested in getting an all in one system so that way I will still have 2 monitors and if I get the system I've been looking at I will also have a touch screen.

The system I've currently got a quote on is detailed below, I can get this for ~$1200

Dell Optiplex 7440 AIO
23.8 inch Quad HD (2560 x 1440) 4K display with Touch
Intel Core 6th Generation i7-6700 Processor (Quad Core, up to 4.0 GHz, 8M Cache, 65W)
16GB (2x8GB) 2133MHz DDR4 Memory
AMD 2Gb DDR5 Graphics Card
1 TB 2.5-Inch SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM) (I would most likely replace this with a 500 evo I already have.)
Intel Dual Band Wireless 8260 (802.11ac) + Bluetooth
Tray load DVD Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD)
Windows 10 Pro
5 Years ProSupport Plus with Next Business Day Onsite Service
Articulating Monitor Stand

152603-1

152600-2

1. External USB: 4x 3.0 | 2. External USB 2x 2.0 | 3. HDMI In (Full HD Only) | 4. HDMI Out | 5. DisplayPort | 6. RJ-45 | 7. Line-out | 8. Media card reader | 9. External USB 3.0 with Powershare | 10. External USB 3.0 | 11. Universal Headset

owners manual
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 December 2016, 07:35:36 by SpAmRaY »

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
Re: Need a New Computer Recomendations
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 10 November 2016, 14:28:35 »
Are you looking to buy an all in one to save space? For $800 (even less) you could build a micro ATX build that would hide behind your monitor.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 10 November 2016, 14:51:38 »
Are you looking to buy an all in one to save space? For $800 (even less) you could build a micro ATX build that would hide behind your monitor.

I've also considered going with a micro build of some sort.

My biggest reasons for going with the all in one is for the touch screen and it being a second monitor.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 10 November 2016, 16:32:16 »
For that Dell your paying more for that 5 years warranty than anything else but that isn't bad. GPU doesn't look like much and you'll definitely want an SSD but it doesn't look like a bad build.

Are they throwing in the 2k monitor for that $1200 too?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 10 November 2016, 17:14:06 »

For that Dell your paying more for that 5 years warranty than anything else but that isn't bad. GPU doesn't look like much and you'll definitely want an SSD but it doesn't look like a bad build.

Are they throwing in the 2k monitor for that $1200 too?

The 5yr warranty adds $158 and that includes accidents, it is currently discounted.

No extra monitor just the unit itself which is 23.8" @ 2560x1440 and I already have a 27" 2560x1440 catleap.

I've got an ssd I plan to swap in if I get this.

The articulating stand is ~$120 additional but I think I would make use of it and another ~$120 between shipping (need expedited due to going out of town) and taxes. 

But I'm still undecided and will probably wait a few more days before deciding although this offer is limited and will be gone if I wait.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 10 November 2016, 17:25:49 »
DIY..

z170
gtx1070
DDR4 16gb or 32, (you prolly want 32, so the comp doesn't ever get bogged down, convenience, not a necessity)

REUSE all other old parts, PSU, Computer case, etc,  you only need 500-600 watts with this setup assuming you don't have a billion harddrives.

REUSE old ssd.. DO NOT BUY a new ssd.. waste of money.. and it won't be faster AT ALL..

if you got microcenter, look for deals on 4790k 4770k with z97,  otherwise go 67xx

All in ones are not so great because of density and the difficulty in cleaning (hard to take apart, lots of plastic snapping tabs)..  With a 6700 it's gonna need cleaning, lots of air going through there..

You want to get a big cooler for the CPU, then Delid..   THEN you need liquid ultra or liquid pro for the ihs to core contact,  you can use arctic silver for the ihs to cooler contact..

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 10 November 2016, 17:35:19 »

DIY..

z170
gtx1070
DDR4 16gb or 32, (you prolly want 32, so the comp doesn't ever get bogged down, convenience, not a necessity)

REUSE all other old parts, PSU, Computer case, etc

REUSE old ssd.. DO NOT BUY a new ssd.. waste of money.. and it won't be faster AT ALL..

if you got microcenter, look for deals on 4790k 4770k with z97,  otherwise go 67xx

All in ones are not so great because of density and the difficulty in cleaning (hard to take apart, lots of plastic snapping tabs)..  With a 6700 it's gonna need cleaning, lots of air going through there..

You want to get a big cooler for the CPU, then Delid..   THEN you need liquid ultra or liquid pro for the ihs to core contact,  you can use arctic silver for the ihs to cooler contact..

Don't have old PC parts to reuse other than hard drives and no microcenter. :(

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 10 November 2016, 17:40:13 »

DIY..

z170
gtx1070

REUSE all other old parts, PSU, Computer case, etc

Don't have old PC parts to reuse other than hard drives and no microcenter. :(

whaaaaa...

Are you sure?

Okok..

They haz deals for  $20  600watt psus  decent brands, not no name..  DO NOT get gold rated/platinum/titanium, waste of money because you will not realize the power savings, and the quality is not substantially better.

Prolly get a $50-60 240gb ssd..

Go with 16gb ram in this case, since you gotta push into some of these other parts..

Computer case, are you sure you can't find a computer case ,  they all fit with the exception of maybe the gtx1070,   but you could prolly just cut off lower sections of the computer case for that..   This is geekhack,  I'm sure you got cutting tools..

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 10 November 2016, 17:50:43 »
It's not 4k but the price seems reasonable for the form factor/warranty

4K is usually 3840×2160 or 4096×2160

If it was 4K I'd mention that you might benefit from M.2 (NVME - not M.2 Sata III)

Then again I can't find your configuration on Dell's website. The website won't allow me to change the i5 to an i7 so maybe you are looking at a 4k from another source or receiving custom quotes beyond the website's capabilities.  /shrug

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 10 November 2016, 19:32:28 »
It's not 4k but the price seems reasonable for the form factor/warranty

4K is usually 3840×2160 or 4096×2160

If it was 4K I'd mention that you might benefit from M.2 (NVME - not M.2 Sata III)

Then again I can't find your configuration on Dell's website. The website won't allow me to change the i5 to an i7 so maybe you are looking at a 4k from another source or receiving custom quotes beyond the website's capabilities.  /shrug

Doh I  didn't even think about that, I'm so out of touch.

It said 4K (2560x1440) QHD in the description versus (1920x1080) FHD in the others so I was just repeating that.

And it is strange how dells system listings change from day to day and even from what type of account you sign in with.

It also depends on what is on sale.

Today there are 4 configurations yesterday there were 8 for the optiplex 7440.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 10 November 2016, 19:56:48 »
I really want to say don't get that, but for the price/specs, I can't.  You can't buy the screen for that much money, which also may be why it disappeared, it may have been a misprint or a refurb because from what I'm seeing, that was stupid cheap. You also would want to make sure putting in your ssd didn't void the warranty.

That said, I wouldn't get an AIO. 
When the system is outdated, so is your screen, I'm also a bit OCD about having both monitors the same. I did it for years with different ones, but it just doesn't work as well since they never sit the same. It looks cheap, and just isn't as nice.

If it was me, I would buy another monitor like you have, then maybe substitute the I7 for an I5, since based on your use you won't really see a benefit. Then dump the savings into more ram and a better video card to handle those monitors. While it sounds good, 2gigs of Vram is really barely enough for dual 2k monitors, I would aim for at least double that, more if you game.

As for touch screen, I doubt it has the precision you need (especially at that price) to use it for cad, much less for photo editing.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 05:22:40 »
@Leslieann very good insights and I deed I think much of my hesitation has been from the flaws you pointed out.

Also I'm gonna have to put this on hold as I just hit a deer on the way to work so now I've gotta see what it'll cost to get my vehicle fixed. :-/

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 10:45:49 »
@Leslieann very good insights and I deed I think much of my hesitation has been from the flaws you pointed out.

Also I'm gonna have to put this on hold as I just hit a deer on the way to work so now I've gotta see what it'll cost to get my vehicle fixed. :-/

y u drive around killing innocent deers spam..

#killerofthemajestic

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 14:29:15 »
Tried to put together a build of something that was going to be quiet, compact and offered the biggest value. I did not cut big corners and used brands that I have had good past experience with quality and customer service. Also tried no to make it too flashy. Probably easier to build than a keyboard.

SSDs are really nice to have and go on sale on black friday, but if you have one already, then drop that. If you have no plans to overclock in the future the 6700k can be swapped to a 6700 to save around $40. 1440p can be demanding, but the GTX 1060 should let you achieve 60+ FPS in even the most 3d intensive games if you turn down the setting to high.

Part List Link

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI Z170M Mortar Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2800 Memory 
Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB GAMING X 3G Video Card
Case: Silverstone SG10B MicroATX Mini Tower Case or Silverstone FT03B MicroATX Mini Tower Case or Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV MicroATX Mini Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Case is a personal preference, those three are just some that I like. The former two are very compact with decent airflow. Phanteks case is very fancy. If you want to ad aftermarket fans to make it quieter, I suggest anything Noctua or the 3-pin NB eloop fans.
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 14:33:55 »
Tried to put together a build of something that was going to be quiet, compact and offered the biggest value. I did not cut big corners and used brands that I have had good past experience with quality and customer service. Also tried no to make it too flashy. Probably easier to build than a keyboard.

SSDs are really nice to have and go on sale on black friday, but if you have one already, then drop that. If you have no plans to overclock in the future the 6700k can be swapped to a 6700 to save around $40. 1440p can be demanding, but the GTX 1060 should let you achieve 60+ FPS in even the most 3d intensive games if you turn down the setting to high.

Part List Link

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI Z170M Mortar Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2800 Memory 
Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB GAMING X 3G Video Card
Case: Silverstone SG10B MicroATX Mini Tower Case or Silverstone FT03B MicroATX Mini Tower Case or Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV MicroATX Mini Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Case is a personal preference, those three are just some that I like. The former two are very compact with decent airflow. Phanteks case is very fancy. If you want to ad aftermarket fans to make it quieter, I suggest anything Noctua or the 3-pin NB eloop fans.

Thanks I'll check it out. :thumb:

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 15:12:56 »
Hey buddy, thought I would throw my version of a do it all build.  I tried to make it as small as possible but still perform well and power a pair of 2k monitors (note that it will only game on one and with lower settings if playing AA titles).  The build includes a second 2k monitor and windows 10 but assumes you would use the ssd you already have.  If you wanted to play the newer games at higher settings, the swap to a mini itx size 1060 6gb would be an additional $100.  The card I included is the 75w version that doesn't use a 6-pin to keep the wiring to a minimum (hence the semi-modular psu).  The stock cooler will be fine for the 6600 cpu since it is a lower wattage and won't overclock.  There is also a version of the mobo that doesn't come with wireless that will save $15 as well if you plan on just hard wiring it. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($191.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock H170M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($97.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.90 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 950 75W 2GB Video Card  ($143.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 110 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Rosewill 500W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($84.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Acer K272HULbmiidp 27.0" 60Hz Monitor  ($289.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1007.61
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-11 16:07 EST-0500
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 15:31:07 »
Hey buddy, thought I would throw my version of a do it all build.  I tried to make it as small as possible but still perform well and power a pair of 2k monitors (note that it will only game on one and with lower settings if playing AA titles).  The build includes a second 2k monitor and windows 10 but assumes you would use the ssd you already have.  If you wanted to play the newer games at higher settings, the swap to a mini itx size 1060 6gb would be an additional $100.  The card I included is the 75w version that doesn't use a 6-pin to keep the wiring to a minimum (hence the semi-modular psu).  The stock cooler will be fine for the 6600 cpu since it is a lower wattage and won't overclock.  There is also a version of the mobo that doesn't come with wireless that will save $15 as well if you plan on just hard wiring it. 

Motherboard: ASRock H170M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($97.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.90 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Rosewill 500W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($29.99 @ Newegg)

Sweet, thanks badwrench! I'll add this one to my list of systems to check out.

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 15:31:57 »
Heres another option for you sir.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/FY9kwV

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($235.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H55 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($59.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($94.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($124.87 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card  ($259.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($24.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($96.90 @ B&H)
Total: $1046.39
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-11 16:31 EST-0500

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 15:33:35 »
Appreciate all the help guys!

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 15:50:06 »
I know it's hard to fit into a small box, but I woudl really recommend at least 4gb video ram for dual 2k screens as they can really suck down the memory.

I would also go with at least a 550 watt psu, bigger is better than too small or even just enough. $10 now can save you $150 later.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 November 2016, 15:59:28 by Leslieann »
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 15:57:09 »

You too?
I clipped one the other night (big one!) in our 3 week old car, insurance adjuster said $8k to fix it, if they don't total it once they start pulling it apart. We had yet to get plates or it's first oil change done.

Insurance co said they are seeing several a day just in a small office, it took days for the adjuster to get here, and now we can't even get a tow to haul it to the shop because they are so backed up.

Deerpocalypse or plot to sell new cars? Either way, screw you Bambi!
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 November 2016, 16:00:57 by Leslieann »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 16:19:27 »
Appreciate all the help guys!

No problem.

I just saw your updated OP.  I have some spare parts that I am willing to sell for cheap.   
Phenom 965 quad core
Asus rog crosshair iv am3 mobo
Corsair Vengence ddr3 1600 (4x2gb)
Corsair H50 Cooler
Coolermaster Silent Pro 700w psu

All you would need is a case that will house an EATX mobo, a gpu, and hdd/OS. 

Example:

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card  ($259.99 @ B&H)
Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $394.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-11 17:19 EST-0500

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 18:06:01 »

You too?
I clipped one the other night (big one!) in our 3 week old car, insurance adjuster said $8k to fix it, if they don't total it once they start pulling it apart. We had yet to get plates or it's first oil change done.

Insurance co said they are seeing several a day just in a small office, it took days for the adjuster to get here, and now we can't even get a tow to haul it to the shop because they are so backed up.

You're all bad people deer murderers..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 18:11:56 »

That board looks like it has a low phase count given the layout....

Basically what happens is,  if you have fewer vrm,  then durability during overclocking will become a concern because each phase of the vrm has to work harder generating more heat PER chip..

So... the more chips you have,  for example the asus deluxe has 22 phase,   the more durable and reliable the power delivery.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 18:15:48 »

You too?

The only thing murdered was my jeeps front  end.

It's a lot worse than I initially thought.

The entire front grill and the one headlight are smashed completely and the entire mechanism holding both headlights in place is broken.

I mean it is all still attached in the sense its not just falling on the ground but the top braces and brackets are all busted.

And there's a plastic air intake assembly busted as well.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 18:33:51 »

You too?

The only thing murdered was my jeeps front  end.

It's a lot worse than I initially thought.

The entire front grill and the one headlight are smashed completely and the entire mechanism holding both headlights in place is broken.

I mean it is all still attached in the sense its not just falling on the ground but the top braces and brackets are all busted.

And there's a plastic air intake assembly busted as well.

That sounds like $500 diy,  or $2000 at the shop,   but if u got insurance.. pretty sure deer is in there.. hahahaahaha

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 18:54:12 »

Basically what happens is,  if you have fewer vrm,  then durability during overclocking will become a concern because each phase of the vrm has to work harder generating more heat PER chip..

So... the more chips you have,  for example the asus deluxe has 22 phase,   the more durable and reliable the power delivery.
Yeah, I know more vrms can lead to better OC, but the setup I put together uses the lower wattage locked cpu so no oc. 

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 19:12:26 »

Yeah, I know more vrms can lead to better OC, but the setup I put together uses the lower wattage locked cpu so no oc. 

No OC is like throwing money away..

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 19:20:05 »

No OC is like throwing money away..
Show Image

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 16:26:48 »
Last year I went on Ebay and bought a Xeon Thinkstation with a Quadro card and loads of RAM for €280 delivered. There are such good desktop deals on there nowadays I can't see much reason to build or buy one new unless you've got very specific needs.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 16:41:57 »
Last year I went on Ebay and bought a Xeon Thinkstation with a Quadro card and loads of RAM for €280 delivered. There are such good desktop deals on there nowadays I can't see much reason to build or buy one new unless you've got very specific needs.

I agree, the dual Xeon rigs are beyond cheap for some reason and the amount of PCI lanes you get for the dollar is insane but they're not on the same level as a single quad core i7 imo. Those older Xeons don't seem to scale well when you toss in a bit of modern gaming or real-time editing. I'm always eyeballing those single thread and single core benchmark scores vs modern equivalent.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 20:42:49 »

I agree, the dual Xeon rigs are beyond cheap for some reason and the amount of PCI lanes you get for the dollar is insane but they're not on the same level as a single quad core i7 imo. Those older Xeons don't seem to scale well when you toss in a bit of modern gaming or real-time editing. I'm always eyeballing those single thread and single core benchmark scores vs modern equivalent.

I've had older dual Xeon rigs at work in the past and honestly they weren't good for much more than being a heater in the winter.

My current work workstation has a single Xeon w5580 and its never performed like I thought it should. I think the entire system was ~$5K back in 09' not counting software. I've since added more ram, a USB 3.0 PCI card and an ssd.

I have considered something like a dell T3600 with a newerish Xeon in it off eBay, I know of at least one that was taking offers at $300 shipped. But I think it was no OS (which isn't really an issue with dells), no video card and maybe no hard drive.

Basically you got the case, power supply, motherboard, processor and ram.

I've been trying to get my laptop going but its been really frustrating.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 20:46:39 »
Xeons are cheap because of how data centers work. A quad core can replace 4 processors, an octo core replaces 2 quads or 8 single core processors...

This not only makes the system faster/more powerful, but also is far more efficient power and space-wise since it's cheaper than setting up another server. Space and power is always at a premium in a server environment, about $50 per month per slot/unit, so upgrading the processor can have huge benefits and can pay for itself VERY quickly. As a result old processors can be had cheap while things you can re-use, like cases or rackmount rails retain their value insanely well.

As for why not to use them...
The loads on a server are nothing like the loads on your desktop. Your desktop uses lots of power in short bursts to do a couple things at a time then it idles, while a server needs to do tons and tons of small things all at once for long periods.

This is also why raid does so little for Windows.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline dyoungc

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 18 November 2016, 00:36:28 »
So just a summary what what you have and what you might be looking for
Mid-range computer for everyday computing/office tasks with some graphical work in games and CAD modeling.
You have one 2K monitor, and possibility of adding one more 1080 or 2K.
Budget below $1000 can be easily achieved if you know which components are safe to cheap out on.

Power supply should always be high quality, as a simple malfunction has chance of shorting the system and ruining the entire investment. 500W is sufficient.
Graphics card is important in your case because 2K monitors require significant graphics processing power, especially if you plan to run two. GTX 1060 or RX 480 will be fine. If the games you play aren't very graphics intensive, the cheaper 3gb or 4gb versions will be more suitable.
RAM, with windows 10 and around 15 background apps, 20 browser tabs, I've had no issues with 8GB RAM. If you plan to run many more programs and browser tabs than I do, you can consider 16gb. However, I tend to think even 16gb isn't necessary unless running video editing, animation, games, and other highly memory intensive tasks. For RAM, you also want to maintain high quality.
For CPU, an I7 6700k is also overkill for your setup and app selection. If you do not plan to overclock, buy standard rather than "k" versions. I'd go with a higher end I5 processor.
Again, if your not overclocking the CPU, motherboard isnt all too important. there are 3 main sizes: ATX, mini ATX, and ITX which are ordered in descending price brackets. If you plan to maintain one graphics card, ITX will be fine. I have a cheap AS Rock ITX board in my gaming setup (~$40).
Stock intel CPU cooler won't be an issue.
For cases, you can choose to pay more for aesthetics, so its up do you. Cheap mini ATX and ITX cases can be as low as $20.

My personal computer has similar specs: i5 4440, 8gb samsung ram, corsair 500W PSU, GTX 1060, SSD. Purchased 3 years ago for less than $700, and still runs very fast thanks to good cooling and upgraded graphics. As a gaming computer with these specs, there's not really much more to desire. I personally dont think its worth the extra few hundred for high end I7 K series CPU with crazy motherboard, ram, and GPU on 1080p, and even many 1440p AAA gaming setups. I lowered the total cost of my system by saving on reasonable components, with no cost to performance.
As a 1440p system, I think you can afford yourself some luxury while also bringing your budget down to $800-$850.

One thing I wouldn't recommend is buying the AIO. You'd be better off getting a laptop.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 18 November 2016, 06:46:56 »
@dyoungc thanks for the detailed reply

I'm definitely going DIY unless I find some crazy prebuilt deal with all the upcoming sales.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 18 November 2016, 06:53:53 »
Between Black Friday and Cyber Monday, aw yea--something will go on some crazy sale

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 18 November 2016, 08:40:26 »
Between Black Friday and Cyber Monday, aw yea--something will go on some crazy sale

doubt it...

It's all been watered down ..

Even last year's microcenter deals were lukewarm..

Offline dyoungc

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 18 November 2016, 10:12:00 »
Another way to save some money is to buy CPUs, motherboards, RAM, etc from previous generations. They should be bought brand new, not used. Performance to price ratio is roughly maintained, but small savings on several components does add up to a significant total. And the components will remain very much relevant throughout their lifetime.
You can also buy OEM Windows 10 in kinguin for $30.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 18 November 2016, 12:19:47 »

doubt it...

It's all been watered down ..

Even last year's microcenter deals were lukewarm..

Well yea, if you're afraid to use anything but paypal you're not going to have a good time on cyber Monday.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 09:56:29 »
Newegg currently has a Rosewill Neuron Mini ITX case for $9.99 after rebate so I thought I'd see what I could potential do with it.....thoughts?

I'm tempted to just buy the case and buy parts and pieces as they go on sale.  :))

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($219.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H55 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($106.99 @ Jet)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($115.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card  ($234.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill Neutron Mini ITX Desktop Case  ($9.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit  ($98.99 @ My Choice Software)
Other: External DVD Drive,USB 3.0 Ultra Portable External CD DVD Storage Drive, External DVD Writer/ Burner CD DVD RW DVD ROM Drive for Apple Macbook, Macbook Pro or other Laptop/Desktops Aooking Tech  ($32.00)
Total: $1043.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-30 10:51 EST-0500

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 11:18:49 »
Ok,  don't get microsoft oem.. get  arggg-matey edition.

H55 is not good.. Get a 212 evo,  the ones with mail in rebate.. like $15 after mail in rebate..

You don't need Dvd rom.

Put the money saved,  and get it into the CPU, get the 6700k

and also you want ddr4 3400.. 2400 is the slow one..

B150i  means no overclocking..    Must get Z170.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 11:21:42 »

H55 is not good.. Get a 212 evo,  the ones with mail in rebate.. like $15 after mail in rebate..

You don't need Dvd rom.

I've got so much to learn. Thanks TP :thumb:

I've got some potential amazon credit so I was looking at parts I could get from amazon :p

Honestly at this point I'm really tempted to just buy a $2-300 dollar pre-built just to have a computer that works right.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 November 2016, 11:40:35 by SpAmRaY »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 11:48:02 »

You don't need Dvd rom.

I've got so much to learn. Thanks TP :thumb:

I've got some potential amazon credit so I was looking at parts I could get from amazon :p

Honestly at this point I'm really tempted to just buy a $2-300 dollar pre-built just to have a computer that works right.

That's the road I took when my laptop died after four years of routine cleaning (never a crushed pipe I might add :/). I unlocked the GPU of an office laptop--truly a rookie mistake lol. Receiving a lot of parts with roommates around was iffy for me so buying an all-in-one deal worked out.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 11:53:30 »
I guess I'm waffling because I'd still like to play Firewatch @ 2650x1440  ::)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 12:01:17 »
I'm not familiar with Firewatch. At that resolution, you might have better results with a GTX 1070

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 13:45:47 »
I guess I'm waffling because I'd still like to play Firewatch @ 2650x1440  ::)

Recommended specs are an i3-550 with an hd6950 or 560Ti.  Old stuff that a modern locked i5/gtx1060 will far surpass.  One note:  I have been looking around and it seems that the game has a wide variety of issues no matter the spec of the build.  I would go with the build you put above (except for the mobo/cooler that tp4 suggested - I actually agreed with tp4!).   Make sure to get the 6gb version of the 1060 since you want to play at 2560x1440.  Other than that, enjoy. 

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 17:45:14 »
I think the 1060 can handle Firewatch at 1440, I saw a benchmark video where it ran 1080 on ultra setting at an avg of 130FPS.

Just throwing it out there, while the 212 evo has been the go-to cooler recommendation for years, the Cryorig H-7 looks much better, is easier to install, is quieter, performs better, shorter etc. Its only a few buck more, but edges the 212 evo in almost every category.

For ram the CAS timing matter almost as much as speed, so the lowest timings and highest ram speeds without spending much more is optimal.  Here, here and here are three kits of ram with high speeds (3000-3200) while keeping timings between low (15-16). AESTHETICS

That case is really good deal for $10, but is still pretty big for and ITX case. If you don't like it a case change is pretty easy.

Some colleges gives students free windows keys through Dreamspark. My school didn't, but my buddy at a different school (Mac user) hooked me up and saved me that ~$100.
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 07:34:42 »
Changing gears again....got a free old desktop gonna try and use it for a little while instead. :eek:

Thanks so much to everyone who's helped!

I'll revisit this sometime later.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 December 2016, 07:36:32 by SpAmRaY »