Author Topic: Anime Thread  (Read 385490 times)

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
Re: Anime Thread
« Reply #1650 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 18:22:23 »
tp4, what media player do you use and how do you get the subtitles in the middle with slight transparency?

Mmmhmhmmhmm.. Tp4 only uses bestest media player.

MPC-HC.

There's also MPC-BE now, but it's for the moment, less compatible. stick to HC.

When you're in the player, open up a file (with subtitles), then right-click on the player screen - subtitle track - options - > (left panel), default style -> right panel screenalignment, click the center bubble, beneath that color/transparency - > Primary -> lower to 50%

Then go back to the player screen and click subtitle track again, but this time click default style, so that it enables your settings, which override the settings inside the anime-file itself.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Unfortunately I use MPV; might look into reworking my setup so that I can use MPC-HC unless I can figure it out with MPV.

why would you want subtitles smack in the middle of the screen?  also i figured you were a terrible dubs person.
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #1651 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 18:24:02 »

I agree, I also use MPC-HC.

All Anime peeps know bout MPC-HC.. 

Devoted anime peeps go the extra step with MADVR + MPCHC.

m0st hard mode anime peeps get dat 1080ti.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1652 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 18:28:38 »

why would you want subtitles smack in the middle of the screen?  also i figured you were a terrible dubs person.

Hahahaha.. This is something only LONG TIME anime watchers would understand.

Fundamentally, Your eyes only has ~ 1 degree of peak foveal vision.

If you look down at subs, that's 5-10degree shift,  you are losing approximately ~50% of the eye's resolution.

Semi transparent subs in the middle of the screen is the best.

When the subs are on the bottom, it doesn't matter that it's blocking nothing, your processing ability is essentially losing more of the frame.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1653 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 18:30:04 »

Unfortunately I use MPV; might look into reworking my setup so that I can use MPC-HC unless I can figure it out with MPV.

What GPU and CPU do you have firebolt.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1654 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 18:45:58 »
tp4, what media player do you use and how do you get the subtitles in the middle with slight transparency?

MPC-HC.

When you're in the player, open up a file (with subtitles), then right-click on the player screen - subtitle track - options - > (left panel), default style -> right panel screenalignment, click the center bubble, beneath that color/transparency - > Primary -> lower to 50%

Then go back to the player screen and click subtitle track again, but this time click default style, so that it enables your settings, which override the settings inside the anime-file itself.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

People use mpv for things other than youtube-dl?  Huh.. interesting..  If possible I'll run with VLC for subtitly stuffs.  Why not VLC (though some people have migrated from VLC to gnome-mpv because reasons)?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1655 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 18:54:07 »

People use mpv for things other than youtube-dl?  Huh.. interesting..  If possible I'll run with VLC for subtitly stuffs.  Why not VLC (though some people have migrated from VLC to gnome-mpv because reasons)?

For PC playback, Madvr is the highest quality renderer. It only works through Kodi or Mpc HC. (Better on MPC than kodi).

So overall.. that's why it's the go to.

VLC/MPV/Gom/ etc arn't fundamentally bad, but their render quality is not anywhere near madvr.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1656 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 19:04:38 »

For PC playback, Madvr is the highest quality renderer. It only works through Kodi or Mpc HC. (Better on MPC than kodi).

VLC/MPV/Gom/ etc arn't fundamentally bad, but their render quality is not anywhere near madvr.

I don't know what any of this means.  *tries to parse argey matey terminology*... 404.. 404.. ERROR.. er..ror..

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #1657 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 19:10:49 »

I don't know what any of this means.  *tries to parse argey matey terminology*... 404.. 404.. ERROR.. er..ror..

translation....

MA PIXELS ARE BUETTER DEN URR PIXELS.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1659 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 19:40:07 »

translation....

MA PIXELS ARE BUETTER DEN URR PIXELS.

Ye !

I should watch more of Major!..

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #1660 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 15:55:53 »

I currently have a 4670k and 7970.

MPC-HC.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

I'm using mpv only because I'm using plex (I feel like I have a valid reason for it, although I can easily replace it with a samba share did a little reading and found out I probably shouldn't have samba over different networks). Maybe I'll switch back over to MPC-HC and madVR.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 February 2019, 16:06:29 by Firebolt1914 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1661 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 15:59:40 »

You can definitely Run Madvr with that setup.

7970 is a very p0wrful card.

What resolution is ur monitor. ?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1662 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 16:01:12 »
Br0, She's running Straight at you ??

Why do you need super cyborg vision to shoot straight ? With a Gatlin gun no less ?

Anime cyborg super soldiers.. psssssshhhhh

212923-0

212925-1

212927-2

212921-3

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #1663 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 16:12:51 »

You can definitely Run Madvr with that setup.

7970 is a very p0wrful card.

What resolution is ur monitor. ?

I have a 2560x1440 monitor. The issue is that I do not wish to save video files on my main desktop due to lack of storage space. I have a NAS on another network with all my anime on it. I technically could download and delete from my NAS, but I'd rather stream it from my NAS if possible. This is why I am currently using plex

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1664 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 16:18:00 »

I have a 2560x1440 monitor. The issue is that I do not wish to save video files on my main desktop due to lack of storage space. I have a NAS on another network with all my anime on it. I technically could download and delete from my NAS, but I'd rather stream it from my NAS if possible. This is why I am currently using plex

You don't need plex to stream files.

You can just use file sharing in windows 10.

With a monitor that's not 1080p or 4K native, you will definitely see a huge image quality improvement with Madvr, because it has the best video scaling capability on PC.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1665 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 16:28:17 »

MPC-HC.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]

I'm using mpv only because I'm using plex (I feel like I have a valid reason for it, although I can easily replace it with a samba share did a little reading and found out I probably shouldn't have samba over different networks). Maybe I'll switch back over to MPC-HC and madVR.

Well in the defense of MPV, it's literally the only player that allows me to view 60fps on old hardware (hd5450/RS960M).  Crazy optimized.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1666 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 16:33:49 »

Well in the defense of MPV, it's literally the only player that allows me to view 60fps on old hardware (hd5450/RS960M).  Crazy optimized.

cough. it's not crazy optimized, it's crazy bad quality.. Kekekekekekekeke.

No, but if you activate DXVA on other players, you can run 60fps 1080p on nearly any budget GPU.

It's just that some Players (well many) do not use DXVA hardware acceleration by default because it's not great quality. But it's very fast,

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1667 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 17:28:35 »

cough. it's not crazy optimized, it's crazy bad quality.. Kekekekekekekeke.

No, but if you activate DXVA on other players, you can run 60fps 1080p on nearly any budget GPU.

It's just that some Players (well many) do not use DXVA hardware acceleration by default because it's not great quality. But it's very fast,

Well, here's the code for the player https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv.  My local RSS client streams video from Youtube with MPV.  It fuxs with subtitles and CC (even for YT vids--alang/slang settings).

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #1668 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 17:32:26 »
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #1669 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 18:10:03 »
OK, so I've tried using MPC-HC with madVR. I do notice a difference but idk if it's worth it. Maybe my eyes are bad....

What settings do the users of madVR use?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1670 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 18:23:13 »
Make sure you run madvr's install.bat,   and also set madvr as the renderer in MPCHC.

Make sure to configure Lav-filter in DX11 mode if you're using windows 10 and decoding 4K files, If you're not doing 4K, then you can just use CPU decode in LAV

I would give you the mpchc reg setting from my setup, Buhhhhh apparently peeps don' trust the Tp4 w/ messing with dere' registry.

These settings should consume nearly 100% of your 7970's processing power,  If you've got some background program inefficiencies, you may have to drop the NGU upscaling setting to - medium - .

But fundamentally, we're putting all the eggs into NGU, because it's the latest and greatest AI trained Scaling algorithm. Unparalleled img sharpness.

The 5th image below is to ensure none of the speed options are selected, they (Reduce) quality for slower pcs.

212937-0

212939-1

212941-2

212943-3

212945-4

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #1671 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 19:05:02 »
Make sure you run madvr's install.bat,   and also set madvr as the renderer in MPCHC.

Make sure to configure Lav-filter in DX11 mode if you're using windows 10 and decoding 4K files, If you're not doing 4K, then you can just use CPU decode in LAV

I would give you the mpchc reg setting from my setup, Buhhhhh apparently peeps don' trust the Tp4 w/ messing with dere' registry.

Show Image

These settings should consume nearly 100% of your 7970's processing power,  If you've got some background program inefficiencies, you may have to drop the NGU upscaling setting to - medium - .

But fundamentally, we're putting all the eggs into NGU, because it's the latest and greatest AI trained Scaling algorithm. Unparalleled img sharpness.

The 5th image below is to ensure none of the speed options are selected, they (Reduce) quality for slower pcs.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Thanks for the settings!

I've tried them out and I currently can't see any difference between MPV. Maybe my eyes truly are bad

(Or maybe I'm doing something wrong. I did use the install.bat and have set madVR as the renderer in MPC-HC)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1672 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 19:06:32 »

Thanks for the settings!

I've tried them out and I currently can't see any difference between MPV. Maybe my eyes truly are bad

Show Image

(Or maybe I'm doing something wrong. I did use the install.bat and have set madVR as the renderer in MPC-HC)

Hit control J, that brings up the madvr render menu, post a screen shot .  this will help me verify ur setup.

Do the screenshot WITH a video playing.

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #1673 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 19:09:40 »

Thanks for the settings!

Show Image

Hit control J, that brings up the madvr render menu, post a screen shot .  this will help me verify ur setup.

Do the screenshot WITH a video playing.

Here you go. I am hoping I do not have terribad eyes :'(

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1674 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 19:30:47 »

Here you go. I am hoping I do not have terribad eyes :'(

Show Image

Hahaha, No you don't have terribad eyes.

It's just slightly harder to see the difference on Anime, because it has mostly low-frequency information.

That is to say, because some animes have more Flat-color patches, the advantage of a Sharper, Higher quality processor is not _as Obvious_.

This is especially true of Anime-Encodes, because the decrease in bit-rate further flattens texture.

Let me download MPV and I will post an example comparison.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1675 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 19:37:20 »
Even with worse jpg screenshot compression, the MPC significantly outperforms MPV

5MB photo vs 11MB photo

These are upscaled to 4k.

Zoom in on his chin / bright face. Scroll back and forth, first image is mpchc, second right is mpv

https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxtapose/latest/embed/index.html?uid=522b4802-30c2-11e9-9dba-0edaf8f81e27

MPC-HC

212947-0

MPV

212949-1

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1676 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 20:23:10 »
Even with worse jpg screenshot compression, the MPC significantly outperforms MPV

5MB photo vs 11MB photo

These are upscaled to 4k.

Zoom in on his chin / bright face. Scroll back and forth, first image is mpchc, second right is mpv

https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxtapose/latest/embed/index.html?uid=522b4802-30c2-11e9-9dba-0edaf8f81e27

MPC-HC

(Attachment Link)

MPV

(Attachment Link)

I don't see a difference...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1677 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 20:32:52 »

Show Image

click link for scrolling image compare.

mertx, the original screenshots are 4K image, need to zoom in a bit more.

https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxtapose/latest/embed/index.html?uid=2d59e576-30ca-11e9-9dba-0edaf8f81e27

MPV, BLURR
212952-0

MPCHC, Stubble Stubble
212954-1

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1678 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 20:46:56 »

Show Image

Show Image

click link for scrolling image compare.

mertx, the original screenshots are 4K image, need to zoom in a bit more.

https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxtapose/latest/embed/index.html?uid=2d59e576-30ca-11e9-9dba-0edaf8f81e27

MPV, BLURR
(Attachment Link)

MPCHC, Stubble Stubble
(Attachment Link)

Sxiv shows 100% viewing size.  Tis max zoom already... *shrugs* I'd have to view it on two 4K side-by-side monitors paused at the EXACT millisecond to compare. soz tp4

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1679 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 20:52:19 »

Sxiv shows 100% viewing size.  Tis max zoom already... *shrugs* I'd have to view it on two 4K side-by-side monitors paused at the EXACT millisecond to compare. soz tp4

You don't see a difference from the stubble post ?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1680 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 23:14:35 »

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #1681 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 23:20:16 »
@ Firebolt.

Took some screenshots off my old Ghost in the Shell 1995 1080p bluray.

When you Arrrgh anime, download the BIGGEST files you can find.

The biggest difference is visible in High-Frequency information such as this screenshot.

Left is MPCHC,   Right is MPV

Below is MLP

(Attachment Link)   (Attachment Link)

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #1682 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 23:26:01 »
Thanks tp4! I remembered that my goal was to have centered subtitles with slight transparency, so I'm going to use MPC-HC and madVR anyways  :p :p

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1683 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 23:26:13 »

(Attachment Link)

Not sure MLP would benefit much from Higher quality scaling, because it uses low budget solid textures.. But IDK, I don't own a MLP bluray, Maybe there's film grain in there..

My god, there is a MLP bluray... Does Tp4 dare get it ?

This would be a completely new territory.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #1684 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 00:01:59 »

(Attachment Link)

Not sure MLP would benefit much from Higher quality scaling, because it uses low budget solid textures.. But IDK, I don't own a MLP bluray, Maybe there's film grain in there..

My god, there is a MLP bluray... Does Tp4 dare get it ?

This would be a completely new territory.

Buy it... Brony.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1685 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 00:26:22 »

Buy it... Brony.

Just watched the trailer, definitely no grain. It's all digital.

Lots of scenes look complicated enough to demonstrate Madvr's absolute superiority.. buhh.. don't know,  if someone gets MLP , that goes on their permanent record.. annnnnd.. Tp4's man-card is on probation as it is.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #1686 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 00:37:44 »

Buy it... Brony.

Just watched the trailer, definitely no grain. It's all digital.

Lots of scenes look complicated enough to demonstrate Madvr's absolute superiority.. buhh.. don't know,  if someone gets MLP , that goes on their permanent record.. annnnnd.. Tp4's man-card is on probation as it is.

Tp it is 2019. Man cards sont count anymore.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1687 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 01:22:23 »

Tp it is 2019. Man cards sont count anymore.

It's all i got fanpeep.. Y u take it away from T4.. !!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1688 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 01:29:00 »
Thanks tp4! I remembered that my goal was to have centered subtitles with slight transparency, so I'm going to use MPC-HC and madVR anyways  :p :p

When you run MPCHC, in that ctrl-j menu, check your render-times at the bottom, if they're over 40ms, the renderer will drop frames. it will be listed under dropped frames, so if you see dropped frames climbing up,  then you may need to lower the NGU setting to medium.

HOWEVER, the other option is Overclocking the 7970 to it's maximum. Which is around 1150mhz on most cards, some can reach higher.

You need MSI afterburner, slide core voltage and power limit all the way to the right, Don't worry about blowing up the card, the card has auto limiter, it will never blown up from software power settings.

Then on the frequency slider, go to 1150.

You don't need to OC the Vram for madvr, it makes no difference.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1689 on: Sat, 23 February 2019, 19:48:42 »
Dat' Slime Anime,   DOPE... !!

Offline Doluded

• road to black star
« Reply #1690 on: Sat, 23 February 2019, 20:45:51 »
On the last episode of The Devil Is a Part-Timer! Started watching it cuz I also work at Mc****’s n it’s p good.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1691 on: Sat, 23 February 2019, 21:11:33 »
On the last episode of The Devil Is a Part-Timer! Started watching it cuz I also work at Mc****’s n it’s p good.

DO you get Free chikam nugats ?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1692 on: Sat, 23 February 2019, 21:13:37 »
Man.. am enjoying the slime anime so much..

Makes me feel obligated to light some incenses for all the Poporings I've recklessly salughtered in my MMO days.

Offline Doluded

• road to black star
« Reply #1693 on: Sat, 23 February 2019, 21:27:28 »

Five finger discount...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1694 on: Sat, 23 February 2019, 22:02:04 »

Five finger discount...

Oh man.. Free chikam Nugats.. dat's the life.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1695 on: Sun, 24 February 2019, 00:05:16 »
Anime will really be taken to the next lvl,  If the studios would change direction from character development towards WORLD development, specifically INFRASTRUCTURE..

Nothing is more pleasing to watch than construction, road construction, sewage construction, aquaduct construction, Bridge, Castle, and so on.

Power creep characters are OLD... it's been going on forever, and you'd just end up with something like FATE which is unrealistic,  or DBZ SUPER  which is realistic, but then impossible to sustain.

Humanoid characters are not terribly interesting and their scope regardless of pwr lvl is limited, because they can not act on a grand scale. They can only narrowly focus on objects as if managing personal assets. Yet they are each oblivious to the fact that the grand external is the superior lifeform.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1696 on: Sun, 24 February 2019, 07:12:20 »

Five finger discount...

I use to do that when I worked the grill/assembly line. Chimken nuggers are the best

I'm still on round two of Stand Alone Complex.

More episodes of Major! one day but it's tough finding episodes.. and the show itself is a rollercoaster of emotion.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1697 on: Sun, 24 February 2019, 08:08:30 »

Five finger discount...

I use to do that when I worked the grill/assembly line. Chimken nuggers are the best

I'm still on round two of Stand Alone Complex.

More episodes of Major! one day but it's tough finding episodes.. and the show itself is a rollercoaster of emotion.

Don't worry, you've still got Arise (separate universe, more modern animation).

There's rumors of m0ar NEW major being made, but anime production is slow outside of the cheap tropes.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1698 on: Sun, 24 February 2019, 21:04:16 »
Animatrix , still gud' after all these years. It doesn't seem like they rendered in 1080p back then.

Can anyone tell what res they rendered in from screenshot ?

213665-0

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1699 on: Sun, 24 February 2019, 21:38:10 »
Animatrix , still gud' after all these years. It doesn't seem like they rendered in 1080p back then.

Can anyone tell what res they rendered in from screenshot ?

(Attachment Link)

Damn, another good one I forgot about!  I'm keeping 21:9 monitors at the top of my list for the eventual total setup upgrade.. so horizontal.. very wide :eek: