Author Topic: Glass MX caps  (Read 5437 times)

Offline Misterorjoe

Glass MX caps
« on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 13:19:48 »
Has it ever been done? And if so, can I get some?  :D

Offline jabar

Re: Glass MX caps
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 13:47:32 »
I would imagine the glass being either too heavy for the switch to hold open or too brittle for regular use (especially the cross post).
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 13:53:15 »
I thought someone here said they tried and they blew up in the kiln so they gave up.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 13:57:14 »
I thought someone here said they tried and they blew up in the kiln so they gave up.

There's a thread somewhere. I think the stems were also too brittle to be removed frequently.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 14:16:20 »

There's a thread somewhere. I think the stems were also too brittle to be removed frequently.

maybe do not use the cross..  just make the round stem that would go in,  Then Cut the cross off the cherry slider head.. and Glue the glass part to the slider..

if you need to remove the switch.. desolder the whole thing.. LOL

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Misterorjoe

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 19:31:08 »
Huh, are there any nice looking clear blank caps then? Or maybe acrylics?

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 19:39:20 »

if moz never wants to make another ceamocap then acrylic is probally out of the picture

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 19:43:37 »
"one rage quit and you're blind for life"
sell out and eat ass

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 19:44:20 »
And missing a couple fingers

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 22:38:21 »
I would imagine the glass being either too heavy for the switch to hold open or too brittle for regular use (especially the cross post).

not necessarily!

See you can easily make glass or ceramic keycaps that are tougher than PBT. Also, you'd have to design around the stem a little, but it's possible to harden the stem up a lot. I was thinking of sintering some ceramic powder keycaps, but getting the size right would be hard. I suspect you'd have to machine the cruciform stem a little.

Long story short, it'd be a lot easier to make hall effect keycaps in basically any material.

--
About injuring yourself after hitting a keycap hard: I don't think so. See, you could make it so that the cap bottoms out on the switch housing which would seriously dampen the force. I doubt it'd break at all, but a nice glass-ceramic composite keycap would be more than tough enough to not shatter. Also, such a material would break into large sections rather than shattering completely. Also, you could design a stress raiser so that just the top would shear off safely. There's a lot of ways of making it safe.

TBH I think the hardest part would be to ensure that there's enough friction on the stem to keep the keycap in place.

Offline Danule

• ###
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 14:51:34 »
Glass would probably be too cold to the touch for an enjoyable typing experience.  Also such a hard material would be rough on the fingers.
45g Brown Brown Blue

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 15:08:59 »
Same could be said about metal caps, yet people use those with no problems.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline Danule

• ###
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 15:11:29 »
Same could be said about metal caps, yet people use those with no problems.

that is true, I think metal is much easyer to make into a keycap.
45g Brown Brown Blue

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 16:15:09 »
I tried this once, and failed miserably. The big issue is I had no clue what I was doing mold-making-wise, but the same techniques would apply I think.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 16:29:32 »

http://keyshop.pimpmykeyboard.com/product/clear-blank-full-104-keycap-sets

Full 104 key clear DCS profile set goes for 40 dollars. They also have them in blue and red semi-clear.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 19:28:17 »

not necessarily!

See you can easily make glass or ceramic keycaps that are tougher than PBT. Also, you'd have to design around the stem a little, but it's possible to harden the stem up a lot. I was thinking of sintering some ceramic powder keycaps, but getting the size right would be hard. I suspect you'd have to machine the cruciform stem a little.

Long story short, it'd be a lot easier to make hall effect keycaps in basically any material.

--
About injuring yourself after hitting a keycap hard: I don't think so. See, you could make it so that the cap bottoms out on the switch housing which would seriously dampen the force. I doubt it'd break at all, but a nice glass-ceramic composite keycap would be more than tough enough to not shatter. Also, such a material would break into large sections rather than shattering completely. Also, you could design a stress raiser so that just the top would shear off safely. There's a lot of ways of making it safe.

TBH I think the hardest part would be to ensure that there's enough friction on the stem to keep the keycap in place.

I actually want to see someone produce this.
c h e r

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 23:00:57 »
Glass would probably be too cold to the touch for an enjoyable typing experience.  Also such a hard material would be rough on the fingers.
How "cold" it feels is largely a function of the thermal conductivily. Many metals have good thermal conductivety and sink heat from your hand and feel "cold". Glass (and especially glass / ceramic) can be made as as insulator and will not have this issue.

Finally, I strongly disagree that harder materials will be "rough" on the fingers. You can make glass / metal / whatever pretty smooth....
I actually want to see someone produce this.
Same here! I'd have done it by now, but DIY'ing materials research projects is much harder and more expensive than normal keyboards / electronics projects. This is a large part of why I like keyboards and electrical engineering and hobbyist stuff and all that.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 23:47:17 »
you could refractory press medium porosity powdered SiO2 then fire, but medium porosity is typically not transparent, as to get a glass you need to melt then vitrify. there are some glass ceramics that crystallize into transparent glass, but plastic is your best bet for transparent or translucent keycaps. can't help but mention signature plastics' hybrid PBT + PC hybrid caps that combined the two resins to form a compound material that, when injection molded, had a glassy surface on the outside and opaque surface inside. the interesting thing about these, was that unlike overmolding, the change in reflectivity was gradual and isometric. very cool little caps.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 07:25:55 »
you could refractory press medium porosity powdered SiO2 then fire, but medium porosity is typically not transparent, as to get a glass you need to melt then vitrify. there are some glass ceramics that crystallize into transparent glass, but plastic is your best bet for transparent or translucent keycaps. can't help but mention signature plastics' hybrid PBT + PC hybrid caps that combined the two resins to form a compound material that, when injection molded, had a glassy surface on the outside and opaque surface inside. the interesting thing about these, was that unlike overmolding, the change in reflectivity was gradual and isometric. very cool little caps.

I'm working on some resin keycap projects atm, trying to do some interesting things with it. I think I just want to see a glass keycap because of the material, not for the transparency.
c h e r

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 07:55:23 »
Would be interesting to see what glass caps would look like.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline futurebird

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 17:18:42 »
I have an idea for making porcelain caps using resin casting. There is a kind of imitation porcelain additive that ought to be interesting. It's coming with the next batch of supplies. I'm excited.

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 18:36:25 »
I have an idea for making porcelain caps using resin casting. There is a kind of imitation porcelain additive that ought to be interesting. It's coming with the next batch of supplies. I'm excited.

Awww crap, we have the same idea!!
c h e r

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 19:55:43 »
Thick glass caps (clack solid) with no stiffening ribs, and with bubbles in the glass.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Misterorjoe

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 21:22:42 »
I would love to have some glass/acrylic/resin caps. That would be sick.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 23:41:50 »
Thick frosted glass would be the goal, and it would even be possible to layer different colors that melt at different temps.

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 07:11:38 »

I'm working on resin caps right now, I have a few different types of resin I'm working with. ^_^
c h e r

Offline futurebird

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 07:43:25 »

I'm working on resin caps right now, I have a few different types of resin I'm working with. ^_^

Are you using 1:1 or the harder to mix and cure poly resin? I just de-moulded my first batch of poly pieces and I think due to the small size of the mould they will need a few days to cure. But despite some issues with my inclusions moving around they look promising (to me. Ha Ha...I'm going to do another batch today. ) I'm working on this cool geometric keys mould. But I need more silicone!

They are still too tacky to trim or polish. Hence, the rough look.

Offline pbtforever

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 09:29:04 »
haha!  Fun!

Offline Demetrium

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 09:42:33 »

Haha, I was thinking the same. I remember a friend of mine smashed his keyboard back in the day playing X-Wing vs Tie Fighter and literally every key flew off his keyboard. Guy would be dead right now.

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 11:38:43 »

Are you using 1:1 or the harder to mix and cure poly resin? I just de-moulded my first batch of poly pieces and I think due to the small size of the mould they will need a few days to cure. But despite some issues with my inclusions moving around they look promising (to me. Ha Ha...I'm going to do another batch today. ) I'm working on this cool geometric keys mould. But I need more silicone!

They are still too tacky to trim or polish. Hence, the rough look.

I have three different types of resin I'm working with, poly, acrylic and epoxy.

They look pretty good from your pics, though.
c h e r

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 12:46:00 »
would it be possible for the stem insert on the cap itself to have tiny ridges on the inside to prevent all the glass caps from sliding off if upside down?  can you guys get that precise when creating glass molds?  can we make the glass smooth enough that it is comfortable to the touch?

imagine stained glass keycaps and white LEDs.  that would be really cool.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 13:31:56 »

Full 104 key clear DCS profile set goes for 40 dollars. They also have them in blue and red semi-clear.

Quoting myself in case the OP missed my post... You can get a full set of clear keycaps from the link I posted for just 40 dollars!

Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 13:57:40 »
would it be possible for the stem insert on the cap itself to have tiny ridges on the inside to prevent all the glass caps from sliding off if upside down?  can you guys get that precise when creating glass molds?  can we make the glass smooth enough that it is comfortable to the touch?

I've got all kind of crazy ideas in my head...

What about using something else for the stem, something less fragile that would adhere to the glass without being damaged during the process?
c h e r

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 13:58:23 »

Quoting myself in case the OP missed my post... You can get a full set of clear keycaps from the link I posted for just 40 dollars!

Show Image

Oobly, thanks for the post. I think this conversation is more about material than transparency.  :))
c h e r

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 14:45:14 »

What about using something else for the stem, something less fragile that would adhere to the glass without being damaged during the process?

sure. but how will you attach it to the clear glass cap without some sort of fugly glue?  my worry would be a LED showoff of your badass work work only accent/highlight the method to piece the caps together. 

ideally a solid piece would be best no doubt. but then again i know jack **** about glass. all i know is that blowing traditional stain glass can be very dangerous. my aunt passed away at 38 from brain cancer. she made stain glass windows for catholic churches down in Louisiana.  my family always thought the glass blowing might have contributed.  we dont know for sure. but heads up on that.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 16:05:09 »

sure. but how will you attach it to the clear glass cap without some sort of fugly glue?  my worry would be a LED showoff of your badass work work only accent/highlight the method to piece the caps together. 

ideally a solid piece would be best no doubt. but then again i know jack **** about glass. all i know is that blowing traditional stain glass can be very dangerous. my aunt passed away at 38 from brain cancer. she made stain glass windows for catholic churches down in Louisiana.  my family always thought the glass blowing might have contributed.  we dont know for sure. but heads up on that.

I wouldn't use a regular glue, I would maybe cast the stem and a flat rectangle onto the glass cap or something like that, perhaps with the epoxy resin encasing the glass with a thin coat. I have no idea if this would work, but there are certainly other options other than some ****ty glue and making the adhesion look nice could certainly be part of the art.
c h e r

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 16:40:50 »

The progression very well could have contributed to the cancer, but chances are not from the glass.  Glass itself is very inert.  My bet would be on the lead that is/was (not sure if it is still used) in the framework that holds the pieces together.

Stained glass caps would be awesome.  Though my vote would be for solid 1 price caps but with no ribs.  Glass would be stiff enough that they would should not be needed.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 16:48:37 »

The progression very well could have contributed to the cancer, but chances are not from the glass.  Glass itself is very inert.  My bet would be on the lead that is/was (not sure if it is still used) in the framework that holds the pieces together.

Stained glass caps would be awesome.  Though my vote would be for solid 1 price caps but with no ribs.  Glass would be stiff enough that they would should not be needed.

They would be so prettyyyyy /girl
c h e r

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 17:23:17 »

There was a resin keycap GB not that long ago.  Apparently the keys were really, really loose (like press a key, and the keycap pops off when the switch springs back up).

I don't know if that turned out to be a manufacturing defect, or a side-effect of the plastic, but it might be something to bear in mind :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 17:25:34 »

There was a resin keycap GB not that long ago.  Apparently the keys were really, really loose (like press a key, and the keycap pops off when the switch springs back up).

I don't know if that turned out to be a manufacturing defect, or a side-effect of the plastic, but it might be something to bear in mind :)

iirc manufacturing with humidity and all

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 18:28:21 »

I bought $140 worth of them... I'm well aware... however, I'm producing them in small batches, without a vacuum or pressure chamber and no humidity issues around here. :)

There's also a few types of cold-casting resins so I'm experimenting.
c h e r

Offline Misterorjoe

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 19:26:02 »

I did see those, but they are not quite as clear as I was looking for. They are a bit frosted and such.

Show Image

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 20:15:40 »

I bought $140 worth of them... I'm well aware... however, I'm producing them in small batches, without a vacuum or pressure chamber and no humidity issues around here. :)

There's also a few types of cold-casting resins so I'm experimenting.

$140 - ouch!

it's often said that you shouldn't criticise someone unless you can do better yourself.  Sounds like you are well on the way to doing exactly that! :)