Author Topic: you know you are a geek when...  (Read 44270 times)

Offline airlangga07

Re: you know you are a geek when...
« Reply #350 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 06:22:07 »
when you write a program just to say "hello world"... in esoteric language,
when you buy some textbooks about programming yet you wear the same cloth eveytime you go to work,
when you have several dozens of rubiks cube and other different puzzles, and you solved them in under 30s,
when you prefer doing some riddles instead of doing body exercise,
and you do all of them, you know, just for fun.

is this geek enough?

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
« Reply #351 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 06:27:10 »
when you write a program just to say "hello world"... in esoteric language,
when you buy some textbooks about programming yet you wear the same cloth eveytime you go to work,
when you have several dozens of rubiks cube and other different puzzles, and you solved them in under 30s,
when you prefer doing some riddles instead of doing body exercise,
and you do all of them, you know, just for fun.

is this geek enough?
Pretty stereotypical, but yes - dang geeky.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #352 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 15:23:32 »
Someone asks something like... How did you sleep last night? You show them a graph of your activity during night, with highlighted sleep phases.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #353 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 17:48:34 »
Someone asks something like... How did you sleep last night? You show them a graph of your activity during night, with highlighted sleep phases.

how did you take down the sleep phase info if you were sleeping?

did you go to a sleep lab and have that done?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #354 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 17:59:11 »
You can do it with proprietary (and often discontinued) wearables or a smartphone (but it kills the battery).

My goal is a cheap sensor network in my bed. Soon™

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #355 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 15:23:22 »
At work I always always always make my models pink or purple. I was in a meeting and someone pulled up one of my models. I recognized the shape first then confirmed the shade of purple as being mine.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #356 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 16:35:50 »
When you are considering talking to your old orthodontist to ask him about tools for forming spring tempered wire.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #357 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 18:29:52 »
When you have 3 pages of PM's about keyboards, and DIY stuff.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #358 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 22:56:50 »
When people are willing to pay you a ton of money to sit around, eat, drink, and occasionally figure things out for them.

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #359 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 02:11:17 »
When people are willing to pay you a ton of money to sit around, eat, drink, and occasionally figure things out for them.

So, IT?

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #360 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 07:54:18 »

So, IT?

Yea obviously lol

Best Job in the whole world, "make it work" whatever the issue is.

How awesome is it for us to sit arround and do nothing all day while still being an integrated part of the team!

>"Is my computer ready?"
>"I have to install office dude, it's pretty heavy work. It should be ready by next month"

lol
See my blog here : https://delitech.live

Poker II - Brown MX

Ducky One II TKL - Silver MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #361 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 08:41:26 »
You use a macro for passwords.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Sagii

• Time to bust some nails
« Reply #362 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 08:57:11 »
When your gf says no to a diamond shape silver necklace with a small diamond on it, and you end up buying dark souls 2 for her instead. That's how I know she's a geek at least :D I'm a lucky man ^.^

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #363 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 09:00:23 »
When your gf says no to a diamond shape silver necklace with a small diamond on it, and you end up buying dark souls 2 for her instead. That's how I know she's a geek at least :D I'm a lucky man ^.^

You realize that was just a test, right?  Buy her some jewelry.  Trust me, I have been married since Oct, 06.  Remember this, real jewelers are not in the mall.

Offline Sagii

« Reply #364 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 09:02:25 »

You realize that was just a test, right?  Buy her some jewelry.  Trust me, I have been married since Oct, 06.  Remember this, real jewelers are not in the mall.
It was not a test :)) I might add that she thought I was talking about some cheap jewelry!
If she'd actually known the price of that thing, and how it looked, she'd probably say yes. She loves Dark Souls 2 though :))
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 June 2014, 09:06:16 by Sagii »

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #365 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 09:03:22 »

It was not a test :)) I might add that she thought I was talking about some cheap jewelry!

I wouldn't be so sure about that?

Offline Sagii

« Reply #366 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 09:05:30 »

I wouldn't be so sure about that?
Well, I'd be sure. It was not a "test". And c'mon, a girl shouldn't need to test you in the first place. Call me naive, but that's my opinion.
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 June 2014, 09:09:58 by Sagii »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #367 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 09:07:58 »
Pro tip: Get nerdy/geeky about handbags so you can get right with the ladies.

Offline Sagii

« Reply #368 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 09:09:22 »
Pro tip: Get nerdy/geeky about handbags so you can get right with the ladies.
Haha, the plan has been made. Time to execute.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #369 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 21:50:20 »

So, IT?

Yea obviously lol

Best Job in the whole world, "make it work" whatever the issue is.

How awesome is it for us to sit arround and do nothing all day while still being an integrated part of the team!

>"Is my computer ready?"
>"I have to install office dude, it's pretty heavy work. It should be ready by next month"

lol

Until you find some combination of third party software that just will not work together, whatever you try.

Or one package that doesn't quite do what your boss wants, and there is no way to make it do so.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #370 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 01:42:10 »
You know you're a geek when: you get PO about net neutrality and the ISPs screwing with us.

The problem with net-neutrality is that  there does exist information that "certain" people are not-ready-for..

Given that.. censorship is a requisite to preserve social harmony..  Will this be abused.. sure ... it will..

but...  total-net-neutrality is no less an Ideal that can not possibly exist.. 

Welcome to the world of Net Neutrality
http://jointhefastlane.com/