Author Topic: Probability of a 2nd Lockdown ?  (Read 2914 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Probability of a 2nd Lockdown ?
« on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 08:36:29 »
Thoughts ?

More importantly,  impact on this year's Brak-Friday electrnix sales.. !!

/arms folded

Offline jamster

Re: Probability of a 2nd Lockdown ?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 09:21:23 »
Depends on the country. Already happening in some places (parts of Beijing last week, Singapore went heavy duty a month ago). But the US seems to be largely in denial about everything in the first place, from talking to friends over there, I'm not convinced there was even a 'first' lockdown.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 09:25:51 »
@ Jam,  we definitely had a 1st lockdown, maybe not-everywhere, but at least it was the case on the east coast.

Offline jamster

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 09:41:47 »
@ Jam,  we definitely had a 1st lockdown, maybe not-everywhere, but at least it was the case on the east coast.

That's kind of my point. If it's not everywhere, at the same time, it doesn't do jack. There might be a short term improvement in one area, but it vanishes as soon as people start coming in from other places where there was no lockdown. This state-by-state variation across the US means that the overall effort... is like running around really fast in circles. Only instead of just getting tired, people are dying or parts of the economy are collapsing.

Seriously, what the **** are your politicians doing over there? It seems like for some of them, scoring political points is more important than saving lives. Not all of them, for sure, but a big enough proportion that it's turned into a complete and utter shambles.

My current location has had 4 deaths. My home country has had a hundred. For lots of of different factors, but one of them was uniformly executed lockdowns. The lockdowns took a while to kick in as people were in denial about various things, but once they kicked in, it was everywhere. How the hell can a massively wealthy country, with cutting edge medical resources, manage a hundred thousand deaths?

Edited because the more I thought about this, the angrier I got.

Screw this, I come to GH in part to get away from all this craziness, especially the so-crazy-you-can't-make-this-up news coming out of the US. I'm going to stop looking at Off Topic threads.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 June 2020, 10:45:37 by jamster »

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 13:46:12 »
I don’t want to minimize the severity of this pandemic but the US is pretty generous about attributing a lot of deaths to Covid when it wasn’t necessarily the primary cause. Medical professionals are required to report all deaths where the virus is present as a Covid casualty when it may not have been the primary cause. The political forces on both sides are making accurate statistics difficult to determine as well as best practices (masks: good or bad, etc.).

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 20:13:18 »
all I care about is the probability of a 2nd stimulus check

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 20:18:33 »

NT, every american has essentially lost 2-3 years of their life to listlessness, as the consequence of our failed oligarchic government.

You may not be evaluating this opportunity cost correctly. $1200 is hardly compensation enough.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 20:58:44 »

the US seems to be largely in denial about everything in the first place .... I'm not convinced there was even a 'first' lockdown

There will surely be 2nd and 3rd surges, but there will also be the corresponding typical diametric split in US society about what the *problem* is and how to solve it.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 22:21:08 »

NT, every american has essentially lost 2-3 years of their life to listlessness, as the consequence of our failed oligarchic government.

You may not be evaluating this opportunity cost correctly. $1200 is hardly compensation enough.

nah man, my life is worth way less than that

Offline Belfong

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 06:08:15 »
I forget, when is Black Friday?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 06:57:48 »

dude not cool, it's called Juneteenth

Offline Belfong

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 07:50:27 »

dude not cool, it's called Juneteenth
Ugh, you are totally right.. I'm sorry!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 08:18:08 »
Ugh, you are totally right.. I'm sorry!

NT is talking about something else.

Tp4 made this thread about Korona 2nd-lockdown impact on Black friday 2020, November 27th.

So far on Tp4's shopping list:

- Digital piano, $1000 range
- LMCL LCD, $2000 range (hopefully)
- 16TB HDD, $300-ish