Author Topic: Are we NPCs ?  (Read 1990 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Are we NPCs ?
« on: Tue, 18 May 2021, 14:15:34 »
So if we're in a sim,  it makes sense that most "others" are kinda dumb and irrational.

If large masses were smarter, the required processing power would snowball as complexity in their demeanor/ interaction coalesce.

In Tp4's case, Tp4 is also likely an NPC, because Tp4 really doesn't do much despite decent int/luck/dex/access to resource pools.

Thoughts?  Anyone else feel like an NPC ?

Offline Indigu

• Yea sure
Re: Are we NPCs ?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 18 May 2021, 15:22:28 »
what

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 18 May 2021, 15:23:12 »
I feel like the main character of the ****tiest tv show

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 18 May 2021, 20:59:05 »
I have no idea what NPC stands for and there's no context to search what it could stand for so I can't think myself to be one, even though it may describe my self image perfectly.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline yui

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 02:57:55 »
I have no idea what NPC stands for and there's no context to search what it could stand for so I can't think myself to be one, even though it may describe my self image perfectly.
i think here, knowing TP, it is Non Playable Character. although that theory seems rather wasteful it is not 100% impossible :)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 03:12:47 »
I'm a lab-rat in a cage.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 06:20:49 »

NPC are the non player characters in "the matrix".  It is increasingly likely that we "live" in a simulation.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 07:42:35 »
Hmm...  In terms of interaction I'm pretty isolated so wouldn't use up much resources but overall I'd go with no as 'extras' in a game or movie are pretty linear while my life has certainly had some randomness which wasn't of interest to, and didn't significantly affect, anyone but me.  I don't believe our robot overlords would bother to waste the resources on a career and lifestyle change and I don't think they would waste time and effort making me a moron through whatever it is that does.  Unless it's like SIMS and something is influencing my existence while not 'playing' me - technically SIMS would be NPCs, I think?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 22:14:56 »
So if we're in a sim,  it makes sense that most "others" are kinda dumb and irrational.

If large masses were smarter, the required processing power would snowball as complexity in their demeanor/ interaction coalesce.

As you are probably aware, plans for the development of the outlying regions of the sim necessitate the purging of non relevant data in your your directory and your file is one of those scheduled for deletion.

There's no point acting all surprised about it, the plans and deletion orders have been on file at your local planning department on the desktop for fifty of your clock cycles. If you can't be bothered to move your data, that's your own lookout.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 00:16:37 »
If you think about it, everyone you meet under a certain relationship threshold can be considered an npc. Even moreso the less empathy you have.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 22 May 2021, 21:46:09 »
I don't repeat the same lines, but i can sure sound like one.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 25 May 2021, 18:35:22 »

As you are probably aware, plans for the development of the outlying regions of the sim necessitate the purging of non relevant data in your your directory and your file is one of those scheduled for deletion.

There's no point acting all surprised about it, the plans and deletion orders have been on file at your local planning department on the desktop for fifty of your clock cycles. If you can't be bothered to move your data, that's your own lookout.
Also don't forget your towel. .

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 25 May 2021, 18:37:01 »
tp4 hello buy
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 28 May 2021, 10:28:51 »
It doesn't make much sense that an advanced civilization would take the expense for entertainment. In fact the technology and effort involved probably requires them to overcome the hedonic loop all together.

It's also not likely an ancestry simulation, because they would understand at their lvl of intellect that their ancestors are not fundamentally interesting, just as we are aware that our grand parents were dull apes who ate, pooped, and took naps.

We live in what is -probably- a training simulation, or an AI production system.